A new piece of kit

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 07:59 PM

We have a fire complex burning an area roughly including the recent train disaster.
The 118 freeway leading to Simi is shut down, 17 miles of the connecting 210 is shut down. Many ajoining freeways are impacted. Drivers found themselves facing flames on the 118 and began making u-turns in the smoke, one driver killed. A homeless man and his dog burned beyond recognition in his cardboard shelter just off a surface street.
Record measured winds in the 60-70 MPH range with 80 MPH gusts.
The leadplane of the aerial resources flew over and reurned saying simply " forget it, no way you can get anything through the smoke and turbulance.
My window is a nicotine brown.

And outside my window, I see a landscaping worker with a LEAFBLOWER, no facial protection robotically blowing debri off the walkways as it comes down around him. I'm thinking ' What an idiot!' and then I saw a small dust devil form and move toward him. He stood there, like Dirty Harry and aimed his funnel; mano a mano and pressed the trigger as it engulfed him.

IV'E GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE FOR MY BOB!
Posted by: Grouch

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 08:03 PM

LOL! We need a video of the encounter!
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 08:06 PM

Hi, Chris,

Didn't realize you were in the area. (I'm in Tujunga) Keeping a close eye on this stuff. Hope I don't have to do any fire evac. Most of my preps are for EQuake not fire evac. Hmph. Time to review procedures.

HJ
Posted by: Grouch

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 08:09 PM

Good luck to those in the area (but don't rely on luck!).
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 08:56 PM

Chris,
Good Luck. We just received resource orders today for your area for "as many type 3 engines as possible'...

Be Safe!
Posted by: philip

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 09:35 PM

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 09:45 PM

For those who like to follow such things, here is a map of the fire(s): http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&a...mp;source=embed
Posted by: LED

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 09:48 PM

The leafblower. The one sound that never ceases from 7AM to 6PM every single day. Gets intersting when there's a chorus from 4 or 5 crews at the same time, all within a few hundred yards of eachother. Hmmm, come to think of it maybe those aren't santa ana winds after all, just too many leafblowers going all at the same time. Seriously, thanks for dirty harry imagery and stay safe guys.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 09:58 PM

If I lived in Tunjunga, or Little Tunjunga Cyn area, fire would be my first worry. They have fires every year, earthquakes don't come all that often...

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 10:09 PM

Alan, If they call you in bring your swim trunks!
A few people are whispering 1993 when we burned to the beach.
The winds are so strong the fire jumped Cessna Up near Hikin-Jim. that is a major street you can LAND a cessna on it's so wide!
A meteorologist recorded 87 MPH winds near me with 5% humidity. And the winds predictably PICK UP after sunset.

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/13/08 10:23 PM

Well, it's more Topanga (not Tujunga) and Malibu that have fires with such regularity (and then complain when they can't get fire insurance for their multi-million dollar homes and want taxpayer financed insurance), but yes, fires are an annual problem in any foothill community in Southern California.

If you own your own place, you can clear vegetation, cultivate fire-resistant landscaping, and "fire proof" your dwelling by various means (enclosed eaves, covered vents, fire resistant roofing, etc), but for those of us who are apartment dwellers, there's not much we can do but be prepared to bug out.

My "A" list is important papers and my BOB.
My "B" list is photos and computer.
My "C" list is other memorabilia, favorite gear, clothes, etc.

When the "Santa Ana" (originally called the "Satana" winds by the early Spanish settlers who associated the hot dry winds with the Devil) blow around here and things start to burn, there's not much one can do but pray that the winds die down. While the winds are blowing, no fires get actually put out; the FD just tries to do damage control and structure protection until the winds die down. It's a "fun" (ha, ha) annual ritual: life in the blacksmith's bellows.

Some have hurricanes, others tornadoes, still others ice and snow. Here, we have fire storms and the occasional "region buster" (if you thought Katrina's damage was wide-spread, just wait for an 8 pointer quake in a populated area) quake. Be it ever so vulnerable, there's no place like home.

HJ

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/14/08 12:26 AM

Malibu,Tujunga and Topanga are all California indian words. Malibu means ' expensive village on beach that is home to ceremonial performers with to much dentalium shells.'
Topanga translates ' canyon full of strange people' and Tujunga " We moved here to avoid the spanish with de Anza'
The correct word for Simi is Shi'mi-a ' quiet valey for tribal law enforcers to live in.'
Posted by: big_al

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/14/08 01:14 AM

Chris:
We have one going down here in San Diego County also it's on the border of Oceanside and the Marine Base. eek

Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/14/08 03:43 AM

I am not up for deployment in the near future, and I am actually thankful. While I would go in a second to help, I hate fighting fire in California for a number of reason... You listed the primary reason; predictably, unpredictable fire behavior due to super dry, fast winds that very few windows to get ahead of the flames.

California is built to burn... I don't know if there will ever be a complete solution.

Anyway, good luck and be Safe!

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/15/08 12:50 AM

Well, some things are looking better -- at least for Tujunga, crazy sounding name or not. smile The winds have abated some, and the Marek fire is 75% contained. Of course, "containment" is a relative thing. A shift of the wind, and all "containment" is off, but the fire officials are "cautiously optimistic." Several evacuation orders have been lifted. I've finally opened my windows. It still smells something like a giant campfire, but the prevailing winds are blowing away from where I live.

It was pretty freaky, driving home last night, to see people pulled up alongside the road watching the fires burn. The fires look something like a a National Geographic volcanoes special. It's an odd feeling looking up at what are normally a hulking dark mass above Los Angeles and instead seeing a red glow outlined against the night sky.

Those downwind of the Sesnon fire may not be so lucky. The winds are still strong there. The fire may be headed to the sea down the "Malibu corridor" which seems to get a major fire every year almost without fail. The topography is such that the fires get funnelled into deep, narrow canyons. The high pressure (which is what causes Santa Ana winds), drops throush these deep narrow canyons straight to the low pressure area over the sea. The deep narrow canyons channelize and concentrate the winds. Add to that the fact that fires create their own wind drafts, and you get a resulting firestorm that marches to the sea in a manner somewhat reminiscent of Sherman's march during the Civil War: unstoppable with not much left standing in its wake.

Let's pray that the winds die down -- or at least everyone gets out OK. We lost an entire engine company in 2006 when a firestorm overtook them so quickly that they didn't even have time to deploy their fire protective shelters. The sight of a blackened and melted fire truck with coroner's tarps covering bodies all around it is not something one forgets easily.
Posted by: Susan

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/15/08 04:08 PM

"California is built to burn... I don't know if there will ever be a complete solution."

It will be all right when they finish paving it.

"It's an odd feeling looking up at what are normally a hulking dark mass above Los Angeles and instead seeing a red glow outlined against the night sky."

Grew up there, saw that. Don't miss it one little bit.

You can do all the fireproofing around your home that anyone has ever thought of, and it isn't going to make one bit of difference when those winds are shoving a big wall of fire ahead of it at 100 mph. If you live in that kind of area, you'd best be ready to run, and don't dawdle about it.

Sue
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: A new piece of kit - 10/16/08 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: philip
[img]http://www.stevesantabarbara.com/dust_devil.jpg[/img]

Hey, philip… I don’t know what that image actually is, but it is bringing up a username and password prompt when I look at this thread. Could you try taking the image and loading it to ImageShack, Photobucket, TinyPic, or some other image hosting site that does not mind being hotlinked to?