B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick

Posted by: Anonymous

B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 10:09 PM

Very interesting survival story.

B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick
Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca

A B.C. man who was attacked by a black bear says he was forced to use a stick to defend his life against the animal.
Jim West, 45, was walking with his two dogs near 70 Mile House -- about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake -- when he his dogs reacted to a noise in the woods.

"All of a sudden I heard a 'whoof' on my right and I looked over and there was a bear six feet away from me," he said.

Full article here

Google map of the area here. I know this area extremely well and it is truly bear country...
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 10:41 PM

Yes.

I hope that this means that with this in mind the idea of playing dead is finally done for, especially with Black Bears.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 10:58 PM

I've always been told:
Grizzly: play dead.
Black Bear: fight as though your life depends on it.

Gotta say that this guy is one tough dude! Remind me not to mess with him!
Posted by: BobS

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 11:01 PM

Maybe we should have background checks for sticks, it seem they can be dangerous.

I read something about hiking with a dog and how it can cause more bear attacks then being alone. It seems the dog will go after the bear and rile it up to the point it attacks. When a person is by themselves they will be nothing more then a very mild interest to a bear.

I was backpacking on Grand Island in Michigan’s UP and on a trail about 60-feet in front of me a bear came out in the open. He looked at me and just wandered off. I waited a min and continued down the trail.

Also that night a bear walked by my tent that was on the beach. The only reason I know it walked by is the footprints in the sand. I did not even come up to the tent; the tracks were of a bear just walking by as if the tent was not there. (my food and camp stove were on a bear pole.)

Bears don’t bother me at all, the mosquitoes & fly’s on Grand Island were unbelievable. I would take the bears any day over the bugs.

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 11:05 PM

He must have eaten his vitamins that day…

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 11:39 PM

Give it time and PETA will take him to court over this…
Posted by: ironraven

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick - 10/08/08 11:59 PM

I'd agree that dogs and bears are a bad mix. Dogs don't have the sense to leave cubs alone, of course momma bear is going to try to get rid of them. Then the dog runs back to you, wanting to be protected. Now it is your problem.

I've had bears come pretty close to me- I don't freak, they don't freak, and it's just a couple of pedestrians sharing the terrain.

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/08/08 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Am I the only one who wishes this was on video? This had to be one epic battle.

Not from the bears point of view!
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 12:18 AM

Maybe we'll see a new product at next year's Outdoor Retailer ("That's not a stick; now THAT'S a stick!").

Also, look for billboards in your area soon: "Nov. 2-3 at the Anytown Trade Center - Gun, Knife and Stick Show".
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: BobS
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Am I the only one who wishes this was on video? This had to be one epic battle.

Not from the bears point of view!

lol. +1 on wanting to see the video.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 12:35 AM

Although there is no video of the "battle", the local 6:000 pm news just had a good segment and interview with the man. He has a certain sense of self confidence and toughness that no doubt saved his life. The conservation officers found 2 cubs close to the dead mother bear that were put down as they probably would not survive without mama and there were also worries that the cubs would pick up on their mother's aggressive behaviour.

Once the news is over, I'll check their website to see if they posted the interview and will post a link here.

The interview video is online here. Click on the "News Hour" link then the "Bear Attack" link
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 02:07 AM

"West blames himself for the attack." If the wind is blocking your scent to the point a mother bear is suprised at @ 6' you've just enrolled in the 'I had to amputate my own arm Hall of Honour and admiration in cyberworld chatrooms roster.' Ditto the two 'conservation' officers who destroyed two cubs fearing they would inherit the mother's aggressive personality.

Unless your doing ninja flips past freeway overpasses bugging out, the best defense in wilderness is to be a loudmouth; blow your whistle, sing Hollywood musicals offkey, part wind, smash underbrush with your exotic survival blade,machete,kukhri, spetznas survival tool, make a joyfull noise praising Jesus.

I promise most wildlife will clear out like Bambi shouting MAN IN THE FOREST.

Leslie Nielson canadians 3

Canadian black bears -3
Posted by: sotto

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 02:21 AM

Not to hijack anything, but this is what I would like: a very strong hiking staff with a metal fixture on the end that will allow a substantial survival-type sheath knife (read: "larger than average") to be quickly and securely snapped onto the end to form a potentially very useful defensive implement. No doubt a design like this exists somewhere, but I haven't actually searched (yet) and I don't recall seeing any.

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 02:27 AM

And not this one. It unscrews and screws together which would be way too slow, and the blade looks too long and flimsy:

Crawford Knives
Posted by: Todd W

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 03:45 AM

I hope most people don't think all you need is a stick to defend yourself from a bear wink He was lucky, and I`m sure he thinks the same.

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 04:01 AM

Ah yes. This is more like what I had in mind:

Hunting spear and survival tool.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 05:34 AM

In the recent thread on horsedrawn vehicle I didn't mention why metal carts are so unpopular. In a wreck the metal shafts will bend and often impale the horse.
A wooden shaft is more likely to shatter, or 'all to shiver' like the jousting lances in Mallory's King Arthur.
I assure you, a good sized bear will bend the fanciest aircraft grade hollow pole.
Anyone who has skinned bears knows there is actually a smaller animal under very loose hide and fat. Penetration demands a very stout thrusting spear, aka Anthony Hopkins v s Bart.
These elaborate hiking sticks, and there have been others, are just hollowhandled survival knives.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 11:39 AM

Griz or black, here's the general rule.

If you are wandering around and come across a bear and startle it, do not run, do not confront, veer your eyes away and slowly back away. If you do get attacked, play dead. You are a perceived threat, and the bear will likely leave once it feels the threat is minimized.

If you are being stalked, do not play dead, do not run. You will have to fight or otherwise intimidate or subdue the animal.

The best response is still to discharge one of those fire extinguisher sized pepper spray tanks into the face of the bear. Regardless of motive, it is the best detterant to an attack(short of a well placed belted magnum round in 375 or larger caliber).
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 03:17 PM

Regarding the original story:

If this guy had made some noise and carried pepper spray, this would have been a happier story. But in fairness, there are some areas and trails where you don't expect to encounter a mama bear and cubs.

He was ridiculously lucky. Lucky to find a club of suitable size and strength in the midst of the fight, lucky to stun the bear with a hit.

It may seem harsh to destroy the cubs, but I doubt they would survive the winter on their own. So the other option is slow death by starvation and exposure. The wildlife officer on the ground is generally better informed than anyone else to make that call.

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
...I assure you, a good sized bear will bend the fanciest aircraft grade hollow pole.
Anyone who has skinned bears knows there is actually a smaller animal under very loose hide and fat. Penetration demands a very stout thrusting spear, aka Anthony Hopkins v s Bart.
These elaborate hiking sticks, and there have been others, are just hollowhandled survival knives.

Point well taken. Of course, a pole is much easier to bend with side-ways pressure than compression pressure lengthwise down the shaft. A spear generally is used in the compression mode, of course. When I was about 11 years old, my 10 yr old sis and my 9 yr old bro and I were hiking a short distance behind our cabin up near the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. There was an old trapper/hermit shack up there in some thick woods with the old gentleman's extensive diary inside and a bunch of other curios. Anyway, on the way up the trail, we ran smack into a big black mama bear and a cub. We were within about 20 yds of each other. Nothing happened, but looking back it sure would've been more comforting to have had one of those aircraft aluminum pointy things rather than just loud offensive language.
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 04:27 PM

It's too bad this guy didn't have a woodstove handy, he could have shot the bear in the leg!!!
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic - 10/09/08 05:08 PM

+1 Tarzan. Lol.

Update:
Nov. 1-2 at the Anytown Civic Center - Gun, Knife, Stick and Stove Show