Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn?

Posted by: Jeff_M

Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/08/08 01:29 PM

I sometimes have an opportunity to encourage others to buy Doug Ritter Gear, and I was wondering if any particular source returned a higher percentage to the foundation than others.

Jeff
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/08/08 02:21 PM

Jeff,

Somewhat complicated.

For DR products exclusively sold by Aeromedix.com, the RSK Knives and the LED Lights, a portion of all the retail sales goes to the Foundation.

For the AMK PSPs, ETS recieves a royalty from AMK on the wholesale sales of the PSPs by AMK. So the retailer you purchase from makes no difference.

Lifeview Outdoors provides a contribution to ETS based on sales of their Prepared to Survive DVD ordered directly from them.

Some retailers use the Marketplace Forum here to advertise and ETS recieves a small amount for that.

At times, some retailers have run promotions or sponsorships with a percentage going to ETS, Red Flare being an example. No such promotions or sponsorships are currently running.

Finally, at times, some have made their own cash contributions to ETS, independent of any sales or promotion.

Im sure I left someone out, for which i apologize in advance.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 03:34 PM

Don't forget the rich kids further south at Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, FL.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I happen to know a few and they're constantly making the 90-120 mile trip back to Abbaco without any sort of survival equipment. I keep forwarding them to the Aeromedix site, but they never listen.

Perhaps you can get them to read some of the ditching survival stories on the main ETS site. Check out the last six links on this page.

Then read Doug's life raft reviews.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 07:32 PM

Meh. I've tried. They're just spoiled brat types in their 20's that don't think any harm can be done to them in any way.

We'll probably read about them one day and most will wonder what went wrong.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Grouch
Meh. I've tried. They're just spoiled brat types in their 20's that don't think any harm can be done to them in any way.

We'll probably read about them one day and most will wonder what went wrong.

Worse, it will be a tragedy and result in legistlation that we all get to pay for. Their lawsuit results and insurance needs will be covered by the general populace.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/08/08 08:05 PM

So Doug, now that the thread has been completely hijacked...

Who do you want us to buy from? Aeromedix?
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/08/08 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: clarktx
So Doug, now that the thread has been completely hijacked...

Who do you want us to buy from? Aeromedix?

D.R. Knives and Lights are only available from Aeromedix. Beyond that, I don't think I should be endorsing any particular retailer. Certainly some are more participatory here than others, some have been historically supportive, which might provide you a basis for making a buying decision.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/08/08 09:22 PM

I might get banned for saying this, but I have to say it.

Survival is too important for marketing BS. My concern, first and foremost, is my life. If a company not associated with this website has what I need, at a good price, then that's who I'm going to buy from. By the same token, I'm not going to buy something based solely on its endorsement by this website.

This is SURVIVAL we're talking about. If you want to make a buck off it, fine. But if making a buck is your primary concern, then your advice is about as useless as an infomercial.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 10:03 PM

I buy DR products, other products from the people who advertise here and even make donations to the ETS Foundation to support this site and the work Mr. Ritter does, which is done for free.

If you don't feel you are being served by these forums or the information on Equipped to Survive and don't feel like chipping in to lessen Mr. Ritter's expenses for providing this site and all its services that's fine, but I really don't need to hear about it.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/08/08 10:10 PM

ditto, Nicodemus!!!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/09/08 12:02 AM

echo that nicodemus
Posted by: Stu

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd - 10/09/08 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I buy DR products, other products from the people who advertise here and even make donations to the ETS Foundation to support this site and the work Mr. Ritter does, which is done for free.

If you don't feel you are being served by these forums or the information on Equipped to Survive and don't feel like chipping in to lessen Mr. Ritter's expenses for providing this site and all its services that's fine, but I really don't need to hear about it.

+100 Great Post.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Survival is too important for marketing BS. My concern, first and foremost, is my life. If a company not associated with this website has what I need, at a good price, then that's who I'm going to buy from. By the same token, I'm not going to buy something based solely on its endorsement by this website.

This part goes without saying. Nobody is going to tell you to buy the Foundation's knife when there is a better knife at a better price somewhere else. ETS has to be competitive with its product offerings and provide true value.

This is SURVIVAL we're talking about. If you want to make a buck off it, fine. But if making a buck is your primary concern, then your advice is about as useless as an infomercial.

Making a buck is extremely important to any *company* who is in the survival *business*. I think that many of these companies are more concerned about quality than price, and if you had dinner with doug and saw how he talks about his stuff... you'd see that quality is more important to him than "a buck". I'm sure this is also true for other companies like Redflare.

I believe you are trying to say that products have to have a real value. Quality and price have to be proportionate. Greed is bad.

Once again, everyone would agree with you if you said it that way. But I doubt many people would agree with that statement as it rests.

I think your thoughts are valuable. They are part of the check and balance of commerce. But the way you said it could have been a bit less "charged".

That being said, I don't want this site to turn into an unbalanced gear dog and pony show either... Survival is preparedness, knowledge, skill, wits, and luck. Gear is just a part of preparedness, and sometimes it gets more press than the others combined.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 03:14 PM

ATTENTION

TO

DETAIL

If anyone can cut through marketing hype, it is Mr. Ritter.

Read Doug's reviews of commercial survival kits.

Now read the detailed description of Doug's aviation survival kit or even the pocket kit. He goes through exactly why he chose each and every item. When something is a compromise, he explains why. Name anyone else that does this to the level he does.

When people here buy DR gear, it is not because of brand loyalty or celebrity status or even because it is for charity. People buy it because they know Doug's picked it apart, found all the weaknesses and either fixed them or told us about them.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: clarktx
I believe you are trying to say that products have to have a real value. Quality and price have to be proportionate. Greed is bad.

I'm saying that people who are trusting their life to a piece of equipment should be given advice that leads them to the right equipment. It doesn't matter who is, or is not, profiting from it. All that matters is that no one dies because someone sold them the wrong equipment.

Where is the link to Katadyn's website around here? A good water filter might save someone's life. But wait... ETS doesn't get any royalties for Katadyn water filters, so let's not show people that particular piece of equipment.

Know what I'm saying?

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 10:45 PM

Where is the link to Katadyn's website around here? A good water filter might save someone's life. But wait... ETS doesn't get any royalties for Katadyn water filters, so let's not show people that particular piece of equipment.

There are a lot of people discussing all types of katadyn products if you do a search. In fact, there have been entire threads dedicated to different types of water filtration devices by all manufacturers including Katadyn.

This thread was where someone was specifically asking how to benefit a specific non profit corporation the best. All the responses have been on topic with the original question.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 11:10 PM

You know what I found at that Red Flare website? Those cheap "survival blankets" that are hated by everyone who has ever actually tried to use one. Why is that kind of crap being advertised on ETS? Because making money is more important than someone else's life.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 11:11 PM

Uh, let's see, that link would be right here.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 11:15 PM

And here is the link to the piece of crap "survival blanket" that is going to give someone a false sense of security until they get hypothermia.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/10/08 11:47 PM

You know what I found at that Red Flare website? Those cheap "survival blankets" that are hated by everyone who has ever actually tried to use one. Why is that kind of crap being advertised on ETS? Because making money is more important than someone else's life.

What is wrong with selling a product specifically recommended by someone as well respected as Cody Lundin?

I suspect most readers here will agree with your basic premise - that the quality of survival gear is important.

If you're are trying to find fault with Doug Ritter for using the ETS Foundation and its web site to advertise products that he has worked to develop in order to help fund the ETS Foundation, I couldn't disagree more. Those products are uniquely developed with input based upon Doug's vast knowledge and experience to provide unique and high-quality products that are simply not available from other providers. While Doug recommends his products, his Gear section also recommends many competitive products. That section and other reviews on Equipped.org are packed with reviews and specific recommendations of products that have nothing to do with Doug or the ETS Foundation. Doug provides truely independent reviews. To suggest otherwise is simply obsurd.

If you are saying that Doug's motives put profit over the published objectives of the ETS Foundation, that is just plain wrong, and verges on liable.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 01:54 AM

The best gear in the world, poorly used, is often not as efficient a mediocre gear used well. I've used mylar sheets a number of times. As a personal shelter (ie you are wrapped up in one), the mylar sheets are mediocre. You can do better. But they are better as a shelter building component than the "superior" counterparts, due to the increased reflection of heat and light. Properly used, almost everything has a value.

By having your fit about these mylar sheets, you are also confusing a retailer, Redflare, with the designer, Doug, of an item produced by a manufacturer, Adventure Medical, which is internationally recognized as one of the best in it's industry. Neither that designer nor that manufacturer have anything to do with mylar sheet blankets, other than to say "they do work, sorta, and you can do better". Redflare has mylar sheets, and Heatsheets, and other products. You have compared apples, oranges, and grocery stores- I'm not sure I see the point you are trying to make.

But the one thing I'm not sure you are quite getting is this- the sale of those products, among other things, helps keep this forum running. That takes money. This forum is another one of those Doug Ritter products that (and I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding) you seem to be saying are a kind of sell out.

If you don't like the product, don't spend the money.
Posted by: aloha

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 02:30 AM

Aloha Doug,

I tried to send you a private message but that didn't work so I will post my question.

First of all, I like this forum and the great folks that I have had the pleasure and privilege to interact with. Also, I like and appreciate the information from the forum.

I am hoping to make a bigger contribution to the ETS Foundation than a mere donation. If it is ok with you, I would like to host a drawing for forum members. I do not sell anything. I just want to donate a box of goodies from Hawaii to the winner of the drawing. The box would include stuff like chocolate macadamia nuts, other local yummies, maybe some Hawaiian salt, some hau wood that I have already seasoned that works great for friction fire, that kind of stuff. To enter, members need to make a donation to the ETS Foundation or whatever you say they need to do to enter. After a specified target is reached, the drawing takes place and I buy and ship everything out to the winner. And if you like, I can send you a duplicate box of whatever went out.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Mahalo!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 04:31 AM

Aloha,

I am not Doug. However, let me chime in on your idea. It is great!!! Even though I am allergic to nuts, I know plenty of people that I would gladly give them to. Kinda like a raffle except a tad different. Not sure what the legalities would be. I'm sure there is someone who knows the rules and would provide info to keep it on the up and up.

I am still saving for my DR knife.

Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 05:25 AM

CityBoyGoneCountry,
You don’t by chance work for the Washington Post by chance? Because you seem to use the same logic and “common sense” I find in their publication.

What was the point of your initial post? Jeff started this thread to ask a simple question. To paraphrase that question, how I interpreted it was “How can I help support Equipped to Survive (by spending money where it supports the Foundation)? (Jeff, please correct me if I am wrong.) Doug answered his question pretty directly without any of your so called marketing BS. In fact, I think you will have a very difficult time finding any BS from Doug, marketing or otherwise.

I may be wrong, but your initial post seems to be a direct attack of Doug and ETS. In a Later post you clearly attack Red Flare and then ETS for allowing them to advertise in the Marketplace. Using a pretty standard space blanket that Red Flare is selling as a example why that company is SO evil, and thus ETS by association… of so you would like us to believe. It doesn’t matter that one could pretty much get everything they need to build a good survival kit from Red Flare alone, including some the outstanding Katadyn water filtration/purification products (whose products Doug choose to include in the kits he builds as well).

You bring up the point of this forum is SURVIVAL, and you are absolutely right! That is the whole point of Equipped to Survive. In fact, you can find ETS’ mission stated very clearly here:
Quote:
Equipped To Survive Foundation is dedicated to saving lives by:
1. Raising awareness of potential survival emergencies
2. Promoting preparedness as the key to surviving life-threatening circumstances
3. Performing research and offering objective information to allow intelligent selection of effective survival and emergency preparedness equipment and supplies
4. Providing education in practical survival and emergency preparedness techniques and procedures
5. Encouraging development of new and improved survival and emergency preparedness equipment, supplies and techniques

Doug spends quite a bit of time on that mission, more than most of the people who visit his site and forum could even imagine. His dedication to the Mission of ETS is unbelievable; I know people have been saved because of his work. What have you done? Have you done anything to even support ETS and the work that the foundation (and by that I really mean Doug) has done? Or have all you done is come on the forum ETS provides and post negative, ill informed comment?
I am lucky to have the privilege of calling Doug my friend, and being allowed to help the Foundation directly. This has given me the opportunity to see firsthand how much Doug puts into the Foundation. That work alone will not keep ETS alive, support for others and money are needed as well. Have you noticed that the only products that are advertised on the ETS website are Doug’s and that a portion of the sales of every products he has designed goes to support ETS?

I guess my real question is, since you figured you were going to get banned for posting this, why did you? If you want off the forum that bad, you know you can just leave.

To Nicodemus and the others… Thanks!
Posted by: Stu

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
If you want off the forum that bad, you know you can just leave.

+100 Great post, you beat me to saying that.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: aloha
hau wood

Hey, I don't mind ppl selling stuff I want. I'd like to try some hau wood.

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/11/08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
If you want off the forum that bad, you know you can just leave.

Well, some ppl prefer to go down in a blaze of glory. But if you can't find a dragon to kill, sometimes you have to settle for a windmill.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/12/08 06:39 PM

And here is the link to the piece of crap "survival blanket" that is going to give someone a false sense of security until they get hypothermia.

I would just like to point out that those “cheap” space blankets have their place, too. While I would prefer not to use one to shelter myself when there are better options available, the “cheap” space blankets are perfect for use in a first aid/medical kit where you expect them to be a short-term, one-time-use product. They also pack extremely small, so you can carry several in case you have multiple people that need treatment.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? - 10/12/08 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag

I would just like to point out that those “cheap” space blankets have their place, too. While I would prefer not to use one to shelter myself when there are better options available, the “cheap” space blankets are perfect for use in a first aid/medical kit where you expect them to be a short-term, one-time-use product. They also pack extremely small, so you can carry several in case you have multiple people that need treatment.

Very good point! I order those in the hundreds for medical at events, they are perfect for the job and are dirt cheap.