I wish they sold this in the U.S.

Posted by: Paul810

I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 01:14 AM

http://squob.com/campers/track-tvan-outback-overkill/

This thing is pretty awesome if I do say-so myself. grin

Ultimate BOB maybe? wink
Posted by: BobS

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 02:24 AM

$32,000.00 is way overpriced for a trailer/tent combo.

Yea it’s tough, but ask yourself where are you going to go that a more conventional trailer hooked to a good off road vehicle will not fit your needs, that you need this.

Never mind it looks cool, it’s more a practical thing, while in may be nice to have, it’s not needed to get into or through remote areas.

I think a teardrop trailer with a good suspension would do the job.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 04:24 AM

That is cool, but not worth the price.... can make something similar for way less... like other things in life smile
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 04:38 AM

3 mules, a bell mare, one riding saddle, 3 O.P. packsaddles with fixings.
Posted by: Stu

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS

Building a trailer this winter. I got the plans off the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum, and made a ton of mods to the "Winter Warrior" design. I am building for off-road use, with 3500# axle and 16" wheels that match my Yukon tow vehicle.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/02/08 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SBRaider

Building a trailer this winter. I got the plans off the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum, and made a ton of mods to the "Winter Warrior" design. I am building for off-road use, with 3500# axle and 16" wheels that match my Yukon tow vehicle.

My brother bought a teardrop made by Little Guy ( www.golittleguy.com) and he loves it. I did a lot of the mods to it to get it to where he wanted it (still not done.) I thought about building one for myself, but since then I think I’m swinging more to a van-camper for it’s ease of use and ability to be quickly moved about.

Here is a web address of a teardrop build that the guy goes into a lot of detail. http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop.htm

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/03/08 04:54 AM

My dream off-road trailer will be a teardrop with rolled tube and other tube for a "roll cage" so it could slide on some rocks, etc, do a lil-lift and other modifications and acll her good laugh

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/03/08 04:11 PM

I thought about building one for myself, but since then I think I’m swinging more to a van-camper for it’s ease of use and ability to be quickly moved about.

I thought about that, but decided I could dump the trailer at a base camp if needed, and still have transportation. I figured there was more room in a trailer also, AND, a toilet with shower room. LOL

Plus a small gun safe for long guns, and a place to cook out of the weather.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/04/08 02:35 AM

A toilet with shower room, Plus a small gun safe for long guns, and a place to cook out of the weather.

All that in a teardrop?

I’m going with my brother this coming weekend to a teardrop camping get together near Fort Wayne. It will be interesting to see all the different designs of teardrop trailers.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/05/08 01:51 AM

A toilet with shower room, Plus a small gun safe for long guns, and a place to cook out of the weather.

All that in a teardrop?

I’m going with my brother this coming weekend to a teardrop camping get together near Fort Wayne. It will be interesting to see all the different designs of teardrop trailers.

There are teardrop stand-ups, as well as other tiny trailers. Besides , I never said I was building a teardrop, I said trailer. "Building a trailer this winter. I got the plans off the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum, and made a ton of mods to the "Winter Warrior" design. I am building for off-road use, with 3500# axle and 16" wheels that match my Yukon tow vehicle." The post quoted above tells you the model of trailer I am building, a "WINTER WARRIOR"..
Posted by: Paul810

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/05/08 02:09 AM

If your building a trailer, I've got a little tip for you. One of the things I've added to all our trailers is a second axel, even if it doesn't need it for the weight. Having that second axel adds a lot of safety if a tire blows on a loaded trailer. I've had tire blow-outs on four-place snowmobile trailers with only one axel and it was scary and dangerous. The second axel helps out a lot. I even prefer it to a single axel/dually setup, as it gets better traction in bad weather.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/05/08 03:06 AM

TY for the advise. I've blown single axle tires before, and if you aren't expecting it, it can be interesting.

For now, I'm sticking with the single axle, and GOOD tires, for several reasons.
I often pull single axle, and 2 axle trailers, at least once a week. Even though I'm going to be under the weight requirement, I will have breaks at all wheels.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/06/08 04:00 AM

Single axle are not that bad if you are driving within your and the trailers limits.

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/06/08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Single axle are not that bad if you are driving within your and the trailers limits.

That's the key, know the limits of the trailer, and tow vehicle. All my hitches are 2-5/8" Bulldog hitches, and I use torsion bars, and anti-sway bars if needed. All my trailers, even those under the weight limit, have electric breaks, and full breakaways. I buy the best tires I can, and check them regularly on tow trips.
Posted by: JimJr

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/08/08 04:58 PM

What you want is something like this:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/08/08 06:43 PM

No I don't. Building a hard sided trailer.
Posted by: Squob

Re: I wish they sold this in the U.S. - 10/10/08 01:25 AM

If I was going offroad for any length of time, I'd chose a Unicat.

Built on a Unimog chassis, as used by European armies.

It's available in the US if you've got the $$$, and there's not much that would get in your way in one of these!