Single Flint Striker

Posted by: Chisel

Single Flint Striker - 09/27/08 07:05 PM

I havent seen it discussed or mentioned anywhere
Seems like a good and comfortable tool for starting fires
At least as a backup tool.

May be it is too big to fit in a PSK , but not too big for a BOB. And its flints are available in most hardware shops

Any comments ?

EDIT : I have no connection to ozziebuddy.com
This is just a picture I got by googling the striker
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/27/08 07:36 PM

I used one in a chemical laboratory. Yes, it seems perfect for a bug-out or bug-in kit. Looks like it lasts for years.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/27/08 08:41 PM

Itīs not as comfortable as it may seem. They create hot sparks easily but many of them donīt tend to spray them on your tinder in regular use. It may take some training and adjusting to make them do that. So try before you need it. Remember that they are designed to keep the sparks in the gas flow.
I have one of the flints (glued in a small PVC pipe as handle) and a Swiss + Tech Utili Key on my key ring. It works well. The size is suitable for a PSK. A training sample of the flint lasted for about 50 ignitions by now and is still good for more.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/28/08 12:17 AM

I have also used welding "Flints" as a firestarter. I remove them from the treaded aluminum holder and epoxy a few of them in a row to make a longer striking surface.
When I get a chance I will post some photo's.

Mike

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/28/08 03:52 AM

You know what ?
You have given me a great idea

If I can find an eye bolt with the right size and thread, I can use it to hold a single flint and it will nicely fit in the keyring

Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/28/08 12:40 PM

can you explain how that would work??
Posted by: BobS

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/28/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Itīs not as comfortable as it may seem. They create hot sparks easily but many of them donīt tend to spray them on your tinder in regular use. It may take some training and adjusting to make them do that. So try before you need it. Remember that they are designed to keep the sparks in the gas flow.
I have one of the flints (glued in a small PVC pipe as handle) and a Swiss + Tech Utili Key on my key ring. It works well. The size is suitable for a PSK. A training sample of the flint lasted for about 50 ignitions by now and is still good for more.
It may be possible to cut away part of the metal cup of the striker with a cutting wheel to allow the sparks to be directed to your tinder. The purpose of the cup is to contain the sparks, open up the cup and it will not contain them so well. the trick is to know where to open the metal cup to reliably get sparks into your tinder.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/28/08 03:05 PM

It may be possible to make it work. It just has to be done and verified before adding the item to an emergency kit.
I did not want to discourage anyone from trying to make it work. I just thought it might be helpful to know why the device produces a lot of sparks and still does not light the tinder.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/29/08 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
can you explain how that would work??

Well, climber, the original striker has a flint scratching against a "round file" as they call it. It is a coiled wire, or should we say : something just like the thread of a screw .

So, from the ideas of our friends I thought, why to remove the flint from its aluminum holder ? why not use the holder to screw it in a an eye bolt, an then use the thread of another eye bolt to scratch the flint against ?

So, it may seem, you need to have TWO flint-eye-bolts in yor keyring. When you need to use, remove one of them and scratch the flint against the thread of the other. Theoretically it should work.

Having said that, I am dying to see how our friends' setups look like.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/29/08 05:37 PM

BobS
Your idea is GREAT too. However, I have to think about removing the whole cup altogether, not just a part of it.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/29/08 06:30 PM

Before you start modifying you may want to consider these options:
spark device in pistol shape
spark device
Unfortunately I do not know the proper English terms for those devices (sorry but Iīm not a native speaker). Maybe the links provide a little help anyway.

BTW: Galvanized threads tend to have rounded tips on the threads. That would not work too well (BTDT). You may need to recut the thread for sharp tips. In our hardware stores they sell the flints without holder. Before I used PVC pipes I used a holder in the style they use for sets of Allen wrenches on rings ( Allen wrench). That kind of holder is easy to make from work hardened wire.

I have no affiliation with the linked companies.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/29/08 09:20 PM

Welcome to the club
I am not a native speaker either

ummm. Isn't the Allen wrench holder too short ?
Seems to me that sparks will be too close to your fingers.
That is why I love the idea of an eye bolt. Plus an eye bolt is rigid while allen wrench wire holder is flexible and may bend when you use it.

BTW, suppose you you the allen wrench holder or any other holder, what do you scratch the flint against ?

As far as spark devices are concerned, I think the "pistol" ones are electronic and their sparks are very weak. The second link offers what looks like a flint striker, without the cup. I should look around for one. I think it is the ultimate firestrting backup. You can store in a BOB in any kind of weather from rain and snow to high temperature and would still work.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/29/08 09:28 PM

BTW, Max

Your second link looks very close to a "triple flint striker" . Compare to a "single flint" it should produce THREE times as many sparks. But, maybe three flints are installed to be used one-at-a-time.

Anyone has a clue ?

Posted by: REDDOG79

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/30/08 01:14 AM

They are called strikers and are used to light gas powered torches such as Oxy-Acetylene or propane. You can get a flame out of them as I have used them to light cigarettes at work when other means were not available. Usually sprayed some paint or other flammable substance in the cup and squeezed the striker and enough flame to light a cigarette.

As far as a one handed firestarter They could be rigged to work but I would think it easier to buy a sparklite or Blastmatch or carry a bic.

The replacement flints can work but are kind of small you may be able to buy some flint rods in that diameter online.

The triple flint striker is nice I use one at work and like it much better than the single flint version only because you have replaceable flints on the sriker and all you do is rotate it after loosening the screw to have a fresh flint.

Re: Single Flint Striker - 09/30/08 03:39 PM

The Allen wrench holder is a minimalistic approach. It will keep your flint on the key ring but it will not provide much of a handle. I put it on the tip of my left index finger and scratch with my pocket knife or the utili key (which happens to be on the same key ring). That works pretty well and the sparks donīt hurt the finger. It just takes a little practice. Just donīt cut yourself.
Some of the pistol ones use regular lighter flints. They produce slightly more sparks than a lighter but they are easy to use with one hand and easy to aim even without practice. They are too bulky for EDC but I think they are OK for a BOB.
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Single Flint Striker - 10/01/08 12:57 AM

Aren't these based on the simple firesteel like in FireSteel.com? Why not just use of these?

Re: Single Flint Striker - 10/01/08 02:17 PM

They seem to be next of kin.
Why not use firesteels:
- when I started carrying mine, firesteels were not available in my neck of the woods and I desperately wanted one for EDC
- I like to play
- the gas lighter flints have a nicer size for the key ring
- I like to play
- they worked well
- I like to play

BTW: Meanwhile Germany reached a somewhat developped state and the firesteels are available. I bought some for my outdoors kits but they are little too bulky for the urban kit so the tiny flint still travels on my key ring.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Single Flint Striker - 10/01/08 04:05 PM

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

Best thing I ever learned in the army, except to shoot a Carl Gustov! [84mm Hand held Antitank Weapon, made in Sweden]