submersible fire-making kit

Posted by: nguf

submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:10 AM

I need a fire-making kit that will withstand deep immersion in saltwater. It's for my scuba survival belt. No, of course I can't use it while I'm on the water, but it would be useful if I manage to swim to shore or an island. Carbon steel will rust, and stainless steel doesn't make sparks (I'm told). Rubbing two sticks together takes too long, and requires skill I don't have. What two things can I use to strike against each other to produce sparks hot enough to make a fire?
Would quartz crystal & iron pyrite (fool's gold) work, or does iron pyrite rust?
Posted by: Stu

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:14 AM

Try vacuum sealing a fero rod and striker set. Your dive knife should aldo be able to be used as a striker.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:21 AM

fero rod and striker in end of knife (cap) works for some knives.
Posted by: frediver

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 02:38 AM

All your normal fire starting stuff plus a candle and photon light.
Vac pac all of it then put it in an otter box.
You should include a signal mirror as well.
Or just get The Ritter kit, vac seal and put that
in the otter box with a candle and photon.
I like the extra candle and light because those are useful items that are just to large or expensive for the normal retail kit.
They take up very little room and if you are packing it all in an otter bx the the extra items will fit just fine.
Posted by: Angel

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 02:57 AM

Maybe a small magnifying glass would work.
Posted by: bws48

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:15 PM

In addition to waterproofing, remember that it will be subjected to considerable pressure at ??? depth. So anything that might be crushed will be. Maybe opt for solid stand alone things rather than things in a crushable container. I'm thinking along the lines of single items in one vacuum sealed pack, rather than a package in a vacuum sealed pack.
Posted by: ind_joe

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:20 PM

PYRITE DOES RUST I FORGET WHAT IT'S CALLED BUT A HOLLOW TUBE
AND TIGHT PLUNGER ROD PUT SOME SORT OF FLUFFY MATERIAL IN TUBE
SLAM PLUNGER IN TUBE THEN PULL OUT FAST THE REACTION OF COMPRESS AIR RESULTS IN A EMBER TO PLACE IN YOUR BIRDS NEST BLOW TO FLAME
Posted by: gizmojumpjet

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 01:25 PM

A ferro rod and some Wetfire or a magnesium tinder block will probably fit the bill.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 04:42 PM

I doubt the majority of divers go to depths where firemaking kits start replicating scenes from Das Boot. The only consideration is keeping the materials dry. To this end people forget GETTING THEM OUT. If you go with vacume packing cut some notches to facilitate cutting them open.I can't get most modern product wrapping open without a sawzall all these days. I don't want this problem in an emergency.

If I am starting a fire onshore after diving,or any activity I am likely fatigued and even hypothermic. Pilots have a phrase TUC 'Time of usefull consciousnes' the time to sort out a problem before passing out. Perhaps we need a TUF 'Time of usefull firemaking.'

This is no time for exotic Tom Sawyer " I can see in the dark" tricks since Becky Thatcher isn't there to be impressed anyway. Forget ice lens by moonlight or striking Kryptonite against a 420 A stainless dive knife.

Shorelines are by nature WET.My only experience contrary was the Malibu fire with live embers coming down like meteorites on e and some horses standing in the surf. My friction fire off Tillamook OR was a once in a lifetime, good luck,training and youth on my side event.

You want a small, reliable and tinder inclusive unit. I would suggest a SPARKLITE. I'd also suggest LIFEBOAT MATCHES with the caveat of those lousy striker tops that degrade.

I would also suggest two exercises. First make a dive with the SPARKLITE on your person, in whatever wrapping you choose.Even a vigorous pool swim should work. I think a quality zip bag with the air pressed out might suprise you. It did me ( I've tested it.)
The second exercise involves lots of ice, a sink and cleared counter with a small ceramic plate or whatever. You could even turn on the air conditioning full blast, set up a fan and turn off all the lights and draw the curtains closed.Your dog or cat can sit nearby, red eyes and growling replicating Bart the Bear. My cat is good at this, biting my ankle thinking I need a talk with the Shaman or something.
Now stick you hands in the sink full of icewater. Let them get COLD. Now make a fire with your chosen materials.
When your finsihed, sit down with your prefered hot beverage and read Jack London's TO BUILD A FIRE.
I think it's posted in the forum somewhere.
Posted by: BobS

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 06:58 PM

Several fire starting methods are waterproof.

Military Magnesium stick

A Fire Steel

Candles with a Bic lighter or waterproof matches

Or make one of these, I make them and they are 100% waterproof and have built in tinder and a source of ignition.

Just below the stove in the picture. It’s a cardboard strip with strike anyplace matches dipped in wax.

Posted by: falcon5000

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 07:17 PM

Here's a couple of options, I use a Nuuk bag from water shed, 200ft depth rating and I can put fire starting equipment, ACR PLB, GPS,radio,compass and odds and ends. It's relativity small, durable, and you can release the pressure like a zip lock bag when sealing and has a lifetime warranty. Money well spent. As for fire equipment I use a light my fire army ferirod,Magnesium block, 2 country comm SS peanut lighters with fov with lighter fluid, and a mini zippo. Life boat matches is good to have as well (I need to add those to my kit as well and is a good suggestion from Chris). Also have cotton balls with petroleum jelly. The kit goes in my BOB kit when not diving and transfers to the belt when diving. I haven't had any luck with vacuum sealing bags or zip lock bags at depth.

1.OMS CANISTER 660FT DEPTH

OMS Canister link

2. What I use and prefer-- Nuuk bag from water shed 200ft depth rating.

ZipDry® Deck Bags
Watershed Link

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 11:22 PM

YoDuh needs to dive in Hawaii, see lava flow into ocean at night.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/21/08 11:54 PM

I'd think a sparklight, a minibic with the plunger wedged, and a lot of tinder (cotton balls, tinder quiks, or coglahns fiber-based firestarters) in Witz case, which you then seal with GOOD tape, and then vacuum pack, and vacuum pack again.

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 02:53 AM

Just paint the fire steel with finger nail polish, its enamel so it dries quick and if the color bothers you, use clear. Do the same thing to the steel striker.

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 03:33 AM

It’s enamel paint, should hold up well. And it comes in purdy colors…
Posted by: frediver

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 04:16 AM

that is why you vacuum seal your kit then put it in an otter box.

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: frediver
that is why you vacuum seal your kit then put it in an otter box.

I’m not sure what the original posters intention is, other then to have a way to start a fire after everything being wet. (is it for a single use or did he want something he can use more then one time before he’s back home?)

But I would guess that vacuum sealing is a home operation only.

How repeatable is vacuum sealing in the field? My guess not too much. A fire steel and some nail polish are very repeatable. As are the wax cardboard and matches I posted above, or some kind of watertight container. But I would always worry about a container getting some water in it. Something about a guy named Murphy.
Posted by: Doug_SE_MI

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 01:58 PM

Take a look at -

http://soloscientific.com/aurora-fire-starter1.html

I have no connection with the company. I bought one, but have not tested it. A friend is taking mine elk hunting in the Bitterroots next month.

It looks solid, with a sturdy o-ring seal. I might add some lock-tite or some kind sealer just to make sure there is no leakage through the screw hole that hold the blade to the aluminum case.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 02:30 PM

Cotton balls with Petrolium Jelly make a waterproof tinder. When I demonstrate fire making, I soak a CB/PJ in water. Remove it from the water, shake the water off and light. Burns great, but watch for the remaining water drops to "explode" with hot bits of CB/PJ and boiling water. Never tried it after taking the CB/PJ to any real depth of water though. Give it a try and report results please.

Nomad
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 03:51 PM

I like the idea of using a bag sealer and sealing a Striker and Tinder. Make sure that when you test it you go below 100' so that it gets fully compacted by being exposed to 4 Atmospheres. this way hen you open it (after you get to shore) you can ensure it will function. Try a few kinds of tinder and see which light better after compaction. Wetfire should be unaffected, but since I never carried any firelighting gear when I was a scuba instructor I am just guessing.

Neat idea by the way, hope you test programme goes well.

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 05:13 PM

What effect if any will the pressure of a deep dive have on a Bic lighter?
Posted by: mtngoat

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 05:39 PM

I used to do alot of diving off the coast of Fla. so I would keep vital personal documentation and a First-aid kit in a Pelican Water tight box.

Pelican Cases

I have had mine to depths of about 150 feet without any problem. They make them small enough you could make a nice little belt size fire kit

Hope this helps, remember depending on the depth you go you have to worry about the pressure applied to the outside of the container.

goat
Posted by: saniterra

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/22/08 06:30 PM

The Keep2Go containers might do the job for you. They are tough, waterproof (though I can't find a depth specification) and fairly small, but they will carry many different types of firestarter with tinder and a few other small items as well.
Posted by: LED

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/23/08 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BobS
Just paint the fire steel with finger nail polish, its enamel so it dries quick and if the color bothers you, use clear. Do the same thing to the steel striker.

Great idea. I wonder if this'll work for firesteel on the keychain, or will it wear off too quickly? Anyone tried it as an alternative to shrink wrap?
Posted by: Stu

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 09/23/08 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: BobS

Great idea. I wonder if this'll work for firesteel on the keychain, or will it wear off too quickly? Anyone tried it as an alternative to shrink wrap?

Works fine, just check it out every so often.
Posted by: duckbill

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 10/01/08 06:20 PM

I think ind_joe is referring to a fire piston. You can watch a video of one that is made out of plexiglass and is sitting under water. It is then pulled out and used.
http://www.firepiston.com/

Tinder can be tricky with these from what I’ve read. But you could keep a littel extra inside the tube.

Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: submersible fire-making kit - 10/01/08 07:16 PM

A fire piston is what you're thinking of.
firepiston.com
wildersol.com
both sell them. I have no experience with either company.