Survival kits in the 4th dimension

Posted by: benjammin

Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 02:25 PM

Y'know, I remember a story about a kid with a suitcase that the inside existed in the 4th dimension. He would open the suitcase, set something in it momentarily, take it back out, then repeat that with everything else he had that he could put in there. Later on, when he went somewhere with the suitcase and decided he needed something he'd previously put in and taken out, he would open the case, and remove the item he was looking for.

How's that for a survival kit?!!!

Along the same lines, anyone here have a Gary Gygax Bag of Holding?

Kinda reminds me of them clown cars at the circus, too. Y'know, the ones that they park out in the middle of the ring, about the size of a kiddie car, then proceed to have twenty or thirty clowns pour out of it. Although I'm not sure what you would do with that many clowns in a survival situation, might be counterproductive, depending on the type of clowns you get.

LOL
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 02:38 PM

Well, the clown shoes could probably function as snowshoes (if you happen to be walking in the dreaded white stuff)...
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 02:39 PM

Bag of Holding was always my favorite.
Posted by: beadles

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 06:41 PM

Read the first of Terry Pratchett's Diskworld Novels, and you'll run across "the luggage". Made of rare sapient pearwood, it's bigger than a bag of holding, but a lot more useful, seeing as how it moves on it's own feet, and is quite defensive of it's owner.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 11:16 PM

Why settle for a Bag of Holding.

I'd want a Heward's Handy Harversack for my BoB. Strap a Quiver of Ehlona to the bottom, And for the ditch kit, I'd want that girdle of many pockets that was in the DM's guide, but done as a vest with a small bag of holding on each side as well as the 20 little pocket, and a bag of holding rigged on the back to serve as a hydration bladder.

No, I'm not a closet munchkin. No, not at all.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/11/08 11:24 PM

My other BOV is a TARDIS.

-Blast
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/12/08 12:24 AM

I'm afraid ol Felix the cat and his bag of tricks predated all these guys.

The folklore of an inexaustable and magic cornucopia, cauldron or other vessel that either renewed life or produced inexausatble food and drink is one of mankind's most ancient. In fact, containers of skin and weaving became the megacities tha now contain us.

I'll take my chances with what I can carry and no walls.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/12/08 01:33 AM

Reminds me of "Yellow Submarine". Ringo had "a hole in me pocket".

I'm probably dating myself with that reference.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/12/08 02:15 AM

I find the fear of 'dating myself' rediculous. Dianna Rigg as Mrs Peele VS Uma Thuman - no contest. A good Colt 1911 vs all the wunder guns- no contest. Real oranges, hand squeezed vs this Florida concentrate-no contest.Ringo Star and Yellow Submarine vs some pop diva's video in betwen rehab- no contest. Experience and treachury VS youth and enthusiasm- no contest.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/12/08 02:59 PM

Bingo! Chris.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/15/08 11:21 AM

I'm not that old and I'm not that far behind you Chris.....
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Survival kits in the 4th dimension - 09/30/08 02:26 PM

I don't know about all those clowns...you can't eat them: they taste funny...