New Issue SAK - and the winner is....

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 11:55 AM

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=581&lang=E
Posted by: Russ

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 12:10 PM

Looks similar to the One-Hand Trekker. They could have just bought the camo version.

My latest survival knife (kept in my EDC backpack alongside a mini RSK Mk1 in yellow) is from swissbianco on bladeforums. It's a One-Hand Trekker in day-glow yellow with the Philips screwdriver removed and replaced with a corkscrew. I've never liked that philips and I have used the SAK corkscrew a number of times. Every serious survival knife needs a corkscrew wink
Posted by: 7point82

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 12:45 PM

$10 extra for the camo version? OK, it official, I'm a tightwad. grin
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 01:17 PM

Interesting, at least to me, that the blade appears to be serrated, pretty hard for a user to re-sharpen when needed...
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 01:35 PM

IIRC, only the front half is serrated. The back half is a straight edge.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 02:11 PM

Hmm. I've been thinking about picking up a SAK for when I tote my K31 around. Just to make me feel more Swiss-like.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 02:51 PM

There appears to be nothing new about the knife - it's the SAK one hand trekker.

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 03:21 PM

How does one sharpen the rear half of the blade then???
Posted by: Todd W

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 03:31 PM

I like how the rear half is non-serrated I always thought that's how it should be as I use that part a lot, and it's easier than using the tip for non-serrated. As far as sharpening you could use the red 2$ tool from wally-world to make a SAK blade razor sharp. Only pull it 1/2 way wink
Posted by: clearwater

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:05 PM

Don't see any tweezers/toothpick. Wonder if it is locking and if
it is any smaller. I am always seeming to need a phillips driver.
It is the one thing that keeps me from using a SAK farmer.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:18 PM

I find it suspicious that a supposedly neutral nation with millions of SAKS already pointed ominously at the world should escalate the arms race with this updated version.

I imagine while world attention was focused on North korean missile tests the swiss were conducting clandestine tests cutting chocolate and opening mail.And that's what we need more of after all- chocolate and polite letters on personal stationary.

I imagine to the north Mora is in emergency meetings with the swedish defence ministry.

Posted by: NAro

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:23 PM

CHRIS.. Chris.
It'll be o.k. Take your meds.
It'll be o.k.

[as Chris rushes of to enlist in the Mora Coast Guard]

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:26 PM

I've never had much luck with those pull-thru sharpeners, but I guess they would be the easiest way...
Posted by: KR20

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:33 PM

The Lansky Kit or the Spyderco Sharpmaker would work.

Tom

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 04:56 PM

True, they are just a pain to carry around with you..
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 05:28 PM

And it wasn't so long ago that the Swiss Army upgraded their 50 year old Raleigh DL-1s to the new standard Condors giving their troops unprecendented range ability combined with 'Stealthy' tactical maneuverability. The Swiss now have the ability to move a Brigade strength unit over 100 miles during nightime in complete silence, without being detected by Airborne RADAR such as AWACS and without the use of any petrol or diesel. shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkjpDZ1O4C0

Posted by: Todd W

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I've never had much luck with those pull-thru sharpeners, but I guess they would be the easiest way...

I've got a few SAK I've made razor sharp with them, takes time do it while watchign TV smile
Posted by: marantz

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 06:52 PM

Clearwater -- It looks like it is a version of the one handed Trekker, with the toothpick and tweezers deleted, just like the version they make for the German army. It has the newer, rounder hole in the blade; the older version had a sort of semicircular opening hole. It also appears to have plastic handle scales with edges and embedded traction patches of softer rubber, like the Wenger EvoGrip, which makes sense, since they now own Wenger.
If you look at the photo that Doug linked, you can see the locking liner for the main blade and large screwdriver/cap lifter. They block the blade more than wedge it like most locking liner knives. I emailed Victorinox about the small amount of play and they said that was normal. YMMV.

Russ -- If you can live without the one handed blade opening feature, the Forester is the same as the conventional bladed Trekker with the Phillips replaced with the corkscrew. Actually, they only call it a Trekker in the USA, to keep Cold Steel happy; overseas it's still called the Trailmaster.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New Issue SAK - and the winner is.... - 09/10/08 07:02 PM

Yep saw that, it's similar to the Rucksak too except that the blade lock mechanism is different. Still, the big selling point was the day-glow yellow handle. Very easy to find in my pack wink

BTW, unlike most SAK one-hand open knives, this one has no serrations, plain edge all the way smile