Headlamp

Posted by: Anonymous

Headlamp - 08/30/08 10:44 PM

I was wondering if anyone is particularly impressed with any specific headlamp.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Headlamp - 08/30/08 11:04 PM

Petzl tikki plus I believe. I love it. Keep them in my jacket pockets.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 12:49 AM

I love the "Petzl Tactikka plus". It has a flip-down red filter, nice for preserving your night vision when flying. Even my wife likes it for reading in the tent. If you don't need the red filter, the version without it is called the "Tikka plus". There's another version called a "ziptikka", which has a retractable headband so it packs a lot smaller. All of them use 3 AAA batteries.

If you really want small, I just got the new Pezl e+lite. But it uses 2 CR2032's, which cost a lot more and probably have a lot shorter battery life. I like it so far, but it hasn't run out of the first batteries yet.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 01:06 AM

I just got my Petzl e+LITE and I love it. It's TINY, easy to use, flexible, bright with a strobe, soak proof and comes with a protective case.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 01:23 AM

I really like my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Amazingly bright and very good battery life. The brightness levels range from able to see a long distance to just bright enough to find stuff inside the tent. I mostly use the middle level outside and the low level inside the tent. I pretty much save the bright level as a spotlight for troop skits (its that bright).

The EOS uses a ratcheting action to set the light angle. That's important to me. My daughter used to use a PT Aurora, but a few years back she was using it during a Girl Scout campout and the friction screw loosened, giving her a floppy headlamp for the entire weekend - until we could tighten it with a tiny screwdriver. Not acceptable. She uses an EOS now, as do all the members of my family.

As you'll see, others really like the Petzl Tikka XP too.

Flashlightreviews.com really liked them both, giving the EOS 5 stars and the Tikka XP 4.5 stars. The lower rating is because the Tikka XP is not regulated. They also rated the Princeton Tec Apex with 5 stars, but that is bigger with a battery pack that rides at the back of the head - not my preference.

If it matters to you, the EOS can use lithium batteries, but the Tikka XP cannot.

Ken K.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 01:59 AM

Hmm.. mine has the retractable band and I think it's the Tikka Plus not the ziptikka.

Correction: I have the: Petzl Tactikka Plus Headlamp
It's awesome smile and has retractable band, which is why I keep them in all my coats smile

SAK + Petzl Tactikka Plus Headlamp in my coats is great!

-Todd
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 06:54 AM

If you look on this sites Home Page you'll see Mr Ritter has his own design. He seems to know what he is talking about
You ever notice how after discussing things here the final conclusion people come to is to use what he includes in his kits? You could shortcut the forums and simply buy them.
The Sock
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 10:43 AM

depends on the use. Mine nicers ones are the Priceton tec APEX and the EOS. I do own more and have owned a lot more in the past. Each have the own pro's and cons.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 03:16 PM

For urban EDC I find the e+lite ideal.

GoatRider, look at batteryjunction.com for reasonable prices on CR2032s and other lithium coin batteries. No affiliation.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 03:27 PM

I don't have a lot of time to write something up, but I've had a lot of headlamps and for *task* lighting (it has a 'flood' beam), you can't beat the Zebralight H30.

Very small, ultra rugged, waterpoof and versatile mounting options.

Zebralight H30 Review

In general I don't find the Petzl products compelling, *but* the e+LITE is a nice *tiny* light and I have several.

Keep in mind that with the little coin cell batteries this isn't a light you are going to want to use for long duration use.

-john

BTW, for old style lights, the Princeton Tec Yukon series lights aren't bad. PT seems to take waterproofing a lot more serious than Petzl. The e+LITE is an exception and appears to have good waterproofing.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 03:29 PM

I have a Petzl Tikka that's nice, but for day to day its the Doug Ritter headlamp that costs $15.95 and runs on CR2032 batteries. It proved superior to the Tikka hanging a bear bag on thursday, my hiking partner's Black Diamond could barely shine enough light on our tree branch target, the DR model cast a bright spotlight in the dark. Great also for hiking in the dark, which we did for 2 hours. And the extra 2032 batteries were light and small in my pocket compared to 2-3XAAAs for the Tikka. Honestly, I'm a broken record but for cost, durability and overall convenience I like the Doug Ritter light the more I use it.

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnN

Keep in mind that with the little coin cell batteries this isn't a light you are going to want to use for long duration use.

I don't have an axe to grind when it comes to head lamps, I'm just satisfied with my coin cell battery Doug Ritter model. How long of duration should these coin cell batteries last? I'm still on the original set of batteries on at least a few of my DRs, and have replaced the set in my main headlamp once now, which means at least 20-30 hours of use along the trail. I really like the effective light of the Doug Ritter especially the nice tight spotlight, the light on my Tikka while good seems to dim considerably for a good portion of the battery life. The DR works, and is cost effective if you buy your CR2032 batteries in bulk (10-20) from somewhere like lighthound. I can't recall but I think the cost of their cheap Chinese 2032s was something like 16-25 cents per pair in smallish quantities, which was a significant savings at the time, now I see they're still available at 29 cents *each*.
Posted by: comms

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 04:01 PM

+1 Tikka Plus for more active use like predawn bike rides, hiking at night, true outdoor illumination for active use.

+1 Petzl e+lite for stationary uses like reading in bed, map reading in car or outside, beacon attached to clothing, tent or pack for people close by to see at night.

I couldn't get by without one of each but if had to have one would have the Tikka first. I do carry the e+lite in my EDC due to its low volume

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 04:14 PM

What sums up Mr Ritter to me is he gives good reviews to rival products. Anyone can tell you their product is the best.
The Sock

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 04:20 PM

What sums up Mr Ritter to me is he gives good reviews to rival products. Anyone can tell you their product is the best.
The Sock

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 04:23 PM

No offense intended. I'm not saying the coin cell powered lights aren't super handy, inexpensive and that can't provide *useful* light for a long time.

But, the coin cells don't have a lot of power in them and since they are typically unregulated lights, they have a tendency to slowly taper off in output over time. Since it is slow, you don't notice the drop off in performance.

Take a look at the runtime graph in this Photon 3 Microlight review to see what I mean (The P3 is probably better than most lights in this class due to it's multi-mode electronic control -- most other lights in this class only have one mode and their performance will look like the 'high' mode on this graph):

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/pho3.htm

The Photon 3 has three light output modes, and on every mode except for low you see the tapering effect.

Basically, it only gets 18 hours on "high", but you'll note that the performance drops off radically in the first two hours, then slowly tapers after that. In use, it is hard to notice because the effect is slow.

'Low' mode gets pretty even performance due to it's very low draw on the battery, but while 'low' mode on a 5mm LED is 'useful' light, it isn't a lot of light.

Compare that to the runtime graphs on the Zebralight H50 (like the H30 but AA powered) where 'low' mode output is probably higher than the 'hi' of the P3, and you get rock solid output for over 3 days:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191362

Even 'medium' mode on alkaline batteries (worst performers) nets you around 16 hours.

Part of this is there is just a lot more energy in a AA or 123A cell than the coin cells. Part of it is you gain lots of benefit from running a high output emitter at low outputs. Part of this is the regulation.

I'm not saying the coin cells aren't useful, and agree with you that they are cheap to run when batteries are purchased online. They have an advantage of being cheap to purchase and small, so you can get them for various kits.

But when it comes to long term task lighting, bigger batteries just have more energy. The H30 and H50 are a pretty sweet spot since they are small and take a single cell so are much smaller and more compact than old style AA lights. The H30 and H50 also use very modern LEDs which have come a long was as well.

Again, the coin cell lights are great. I have an e+LITE in *each* of my first aid kits for example. But my H30 is my task light.

-john
Posted by: bmisf

Re: Headlamp - 08/31/08 04:35 PM

I like the Tactikka and had used one for a couple of years, but early this year I got two headlamps from Mammut that I like even better; the Lucido TR-1 for general use and the TX-1 for mountaineering and winter. I've retired the Tactikka to my BOB as a backup, and use these others exclusively now for outdoor activities.

They take standard AAA and AA batteries and have a really long battery life for the amount of light they pump out. The TX-1 is super-bright on its high setting, but both are good for hiking or trail running. They swivel to adjust where the beam points and have positive lock-outs for keeping them off in a pack or pocket. Finally, they start on the low setting rather than the high, which I really like (most headlamps seem to do the opposite).

http://www.rei.com/product/775033

http://www.rei.com/product/775029

Re: Headlamp - 09/01/08 02:41 AM

Interesting, thanks for the informative post JohnN. It goes to show there's a headlamp out there for everyone. I've tried headlamps with 2-3 brightness settings, I prefer the simpler single brightness models. And I like the price of the Doug Ritter - I can buy two and have some change in my pocket for every Tikka I could buy. And I would rather go CR2032 or AA rather than CR123s. None of which is to diss other lamps, they work great for other folks. Face it though, I'm naturally cheap. One thing I like about the Petzl e+Lite - red light mode, I do wish I had that at times.

Re: Headlamp - 09/01/08 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Lono
It goes to show there's a headlamp out there for everyone.

Indeed. We live in good times in that respect.

Quote:
And I would rather go CR2032 or AA rather than CR123s.

BTW, note the Zebralight H50 is AA. I just prefer the H30 since it is smaller and 123A powered.

Quote:
One thing I like about the Petzl e+Lite - red light mode, I do wish I had that at times.

Yah, the e+Lite is nicely designed. Personally the best thing about it I like is how flexible it is in regards to position and mounting options. Well, that and the decent waterproofing. Heck, I like it all. Multi output, blink modes for both white and red. Pretty slick little light.

Cheers,

-john

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Headlamp - 09/01/08 02:46 PM

Anything LED, AA powered and waterproof. Beyond that read reviews...
Posted by: dcnh

Re: Headlamp - 09/02/08 01:44 PM

I have the Zebralight H30 and love it. It is all flood with no hotspot and is great for hiking in the woods at night. A few months ago I did a sunset summit of Mt. Monadnock. Coming down in the dark, the trail was marked with reflectors nailed to trees. The floody light lit up the trail ahead even when set at a low level.
Posted by: Stephan

Re: Headlamp - 09/06/08 03:01 AM

I'm no expert but work in a hiking/outdoor shop and have tested a number of head torches from various leading brands, the two that realy stand out in my experince are:

1. EOS by princeton tec
this one has a top quality case & switch which have out lasted all the other models in terms of warrenty returns. In fact we have never had one come back so thats a good sigh. other popular brands including Petzl (no offence to Petzl owners, they are still great lights!) have a lot of problems with switches, pivot points and cases. the EOS also has a microchip that regulates the light output so you get max. out put over a longer period of time. other brands slowly begin to fade immediatley from the begining of use. to top it all off the EOS has a water proof seal (must lubricate the o-ring to keep seal integrity) this makes it great for surving big rain storms or quick dunks during river crossings.

2. Petzl E-lite
this is an aswome little light in its own right but is also great as a back up. it weighs 27 grams, is also water proof to 1 meter (2.2 feet? sorry I'm an Aussie)and can withtand a wide range of temperatures. also the batteries can last unused in your pack or in a cash for 10 yrs. plus it has the red led thats handy for reading a map at night and not totaly destroying your night vision.

I havent seen, used or tested any Doug Ritter lights but I'm sure they are also top quality. I have used both of the ones I mentioned above heaps and they work great.

Hope some of that helps!
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Headlamp - 09/06/08 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephan
Petzl E-lite
this is an aswome little light in its own right but is also great as a back up. it weighs 27 grams, is also water proof to 1 meter (2.2 feet? sorry I'm an Aussie)and can withtand a wide range of temperatures. also the batteries can last unused in your pack or in a cash for 10 yrs. plus it has the red led thats handy for reading a map at night and not totaly destroying your night vision.

1 meter = 39.37 inches = 3.28 feet

I feel the Petzl e+Lite serves as a fantastic backup headlight, and keep one in my GHB, my Bob, and my medical pack. The GHB and BoB both have larger Princeton Tec headlights in them as well, but it's pretty hard not to justify the redundancy provided by such a versatile headlight that weighs less than an ounce. Although the larger Princeton Tec headlights throw out more illumination, neither of them offer the red LED for maintenance of night vision.

Jim
Posted by: Stephan

Re: Headlamp - 09/10/08 11:25 PM

1 meter = 39.37 inches = 3.28 feet

thanx! thats something I should try to remember

Glad to see im not the only one who values having such a light weight back up head torch.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Headlamp - 09/27/08 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I really like my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp.
Read your post, checked the reviews, and then saw a good deal on one of the local hiking forums ($30.00) on a Princeton Tec EOS.

QUESTION: Anyway to reasonably retrofit the Princeton Tec EOS with a red lens? Would really like that option for night.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Headlamp - 09/27/08 03:04 AM

I don’t use headlamps, flashlights fill my need well and always have. But I did buy 2 headlamps just to have around if I ever decide I need one. I got them for $2.00 each at a hamfest. I took one out of the package to play with. They seem to be ok. They run off 3-AAAs.

I don’t see me changing my mind on them, the one I opened I’m using as a night light to read with before I go to bed just to see how well it works.

For $2.00 each, it's worth playing with.
Posted by: DannyL

Re: Headlamp - 09/27/08 06:12 PM

Princeton Tec is our standard. Use the Apex and the Quad, both suitable for very serious work
Petzl's die if they get wet. They make a good headlanp, but not for our area and use.

Re: Headlamp - 09/28/08 07:21 PM

The only way I could see getting a red light out of the EOS is to tape a red filter on it, but I don't think that would be a good option.

My own preference for saving night vision is to use the light a little as possible and to only use the lowest setting, which is pretty mild.

Re: Headlamp - 09/29/08 03:51 PM

The only way I could see getting a red light out of the EOS is to tape a red filter on it, but I don't think that would be a good option.

My own preference for saving night vision is to use the light a little as possible and to only use the lowest setting, which is pretty mild.
OK, I kinda thought so. Thanks.

Re: Headlamp - 10/02/08 10:16 PM

OK, so I took delivery of my new Princton Tec EOS headlamp last night. Thank you all for all the input on the headlamp by the way. Your input put me over the top on making the purchase. This particular EOS has had it's factory MaxBright (Luxeon I believe) LED replaced post-market with a Seoul LED.

First impressions:
1. This sucker is BRIGHT. Even on the lowest setting, it was still a pretty bright light. The Seoul LED is also supposed to be more efficient (think longer battery life) than the stock LED. The downside to the mod of course is that it nullifies the lifetime warranty. frown
2. The EOS is both heavier and bulkier than my old Petzl Tikka XP.
3. The EOS is less comfortable to wear and tends to bounce a bit more as I walk than my Tikka XP.

The heavy/bulky thing is kind of a drag. It doesn't easily fit into the little side pocket on my pack anymore, and it's definitely less comfortable to wear. Also, unlike the Tikka XP, it cannot be easily converted to red light.

However, it is very bright, can use Lithium batteries, and can withstand precipitation better than the Tikka XP. I may still use my XP in fair weather, but the EOS will be my first choice for cold or wet weather or when I need to see longer distances.

I'm headed into the backcountry for a couple of days this weekend. I'll post any impressions (of any significance) upon my return.

HJ
Posted by: jimtanker

Re: Headlamp - 10/02/08 11:27 PM

Here's mine.

(Upper left picture)
Posted by: BobS

Re: Headlamp - 10/03/08 02:44 AM

To save night vision (never really been an issue for me) I would think a flashlight held in your hand would do better then a light right by your eyes. Less chance your pupils would close up the farther the light is from your eyes.

Re: Headlamp - 10/03/08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS
To save night vision (never really been an issue for me) I would think a flashlight held in your hand would do better then a light right by your eyes. Less chance your pupils would close up the farther the light is from your eyes.
Hmm. You may be right about that. Anytime I've reached up to adjust my headlamp and have passed my hand in front of the light, I've wound up blinded by all the light bouncing off my hand into my eyes. However, that hands free thing really works for me, particularly when cooking or when in a low slung tent where I need both hands free.

The color of the light really does make a difference, though. Red light in particular (the military has done studies) is good at preserving night vision.

Well, there's a 40% chance of snow with temps above freezing this weekend. Gonna be slushy if it does snow. A perfect field test for my new Princeton Tec EOS. Wish me and my new EOS headlamp a happy field trial. smile
Posted by: kirbysdl

Re: Headlamp - 10/05/08 04:20 AM

I'm trying to decide between the E+Lite and the Zebra H30 for a backup light. My primary light is a Surefire L4, and I want the headlamp to serve as backup and flexibility. With that in mind,

The benefits of the H30 are:
Much brighter, and so more useful as a backup for the L4
Newer LED tech
Uses the same batteries as my primary light, no need to pack 2 types of replacement batteries

The benefits of the E+Lite are:
Cheaper
Lighter
Smaller?
Red light option
Strobe option
Known to be reliable (is the H30 as bulletproof?)

Any thoughts?
Posted by: GregGates

Re: Headlamp - 10/06/08 03:53 AM

My battery standard is AA and I use the ZebraLight H50-Q5 headlamp.
Posted by: firefly99

Re: Headlamp - 10/06/08 04:34 PM

My all time favourite headlamp is the Inova 24/7.
Posted by: kirbysdl

Re: Headlamp - 10/06/08 08:15 PM

I saw an E+Lite at REI yesterday, and the switch seemed a bit flaky. It would change modes reliably, but putting just a bit of pressure on the switch would cause the light to flicker or dim. When I left the switch alone it stabilized, but it scares me that the supposedly rugged backup light has such sensitive contacts on its switch. Has anyone else seen this on their E+Lite?

Re: Headlamp - 10/06/08 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: BobS
Hmm. You may be right about that. Anytime I've reached up to adjust my headlamp and have passed my hand in front of the light, I've wound up blinded by all the light bouncing off my hand into my eyes. However, that hands free thing really works for me, particularly when cooking or when in a low slung tent where I need both hands free.

The color of the light really does make a difference, though. Red light in particular (the military has done studies) is good at preserving night vision.

Well, there's a 40% chance of snow with temps above freezing this weekend. Gonna be slushy if it does snow. A perfect field test for my new Princeton Tec EOS. Wish me and my new EOS headlamp a happy field trial. smile
Well, it did rain on my backpacking trip this weekend, but fortunately or unfortunately, it stopped raining by the time it was dark, so no good field test feedback from me on the EOS other than it's a good bright light and that the lowest setting is plenty bright for camp chores and the like.
Posted by: yeti

Re: Headlamp - 10/07/08 12:44 AM

Flashlightreviews.com really liked them both, giving the EOS 5 stars and the Tikka XP 4.5 stars. The lower rating is because the Tikka XP is not regulated. They also rated the Princeton Tec Apex with 5 stars, but that is bigger with a battery pack that rides at the back of the head - not my preference.

If it matters to you, the EOS can use lithium batteries, but the Tikka XP cannot.

Ken K.

I use a Princeton Tec Apex Pro (the 4 AA cell variety) a LOT...and under a number of conditions. I like the lamp a lot...great light...spot to flood, low to high and flash. The only thing I and other users have seen which may be a problem is that the orange housing develops very fine cracking. That said, Princeton Tec is VERY good about replacement. I will also note that I use my Apex all the time and sometimes for hours on end. I've been using it for about 4 years and replaced it two years ago...and I'm about to send mine in again.

On the higher end side...cavers LOVE the Stenlight S7 http://www.stenlight.com/ .
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Headlamp - 10/08/08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: kirbysdl
I saw an E+Lite at REI yesterday, and the switch seemed a bit flaky. It would change modes reliably, but putting just a bit of pressure on the switch would cause the light to flicker or dim. When I left the switch alone it stabilized, but it scares me that the supposedly rugged backup light has such sensitive contacts on its switch. Has anyone else seen this on their E+Lite?
I don't think so. It's a rotary switch, and I can turn it so it only just makes contact. If I put it in a mid position it's solid.
Posted by: jimtanker

Re: Headlamp - 10/23/08 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: jimtanker
Here's mine.

(Upper left picture)

Shameless plug! You just want a freebie, I know it!

Lol. I keep one of these in my tacklebox to clip onto the bill of my hat when the light starts to fade. I must say it's got more punch to it than I thought it would.

Yea it was a shameless plug but I already have one. Mine made it through one trip in Trashcanistan(15 months) and it will go back with me next year. I wore it around my neck with my other "must haves". Two changes of batteries and its still running great. It did get a little beat up but I'm keeping it till it dies. Then I'm going to get a new one.

Headlamp Notes - 11/04/08 06:32 PM

As was posted earlier in this thread, the Princeton Tec EOS and Petzl Tikka XP headlamps got high ratings from Flashlightreviews.com

Since I happen to own both headlamps, I give you:
More notes on the Princeton Tec EOS and Petzl Tikka XP headlamps

My DW and I went out to the local mountains (San Bernardino Mountains) for some hiking and such this past weekend. Some of our hiking was at night which afforded me an opportunity to put my two headlamps through their paces. My wife does not like night hiking, but she did well and didn't complain this time, a testament to the quality of the headlamps. In the past, she had used my first generation Petzl Tikka (just plain Tikka, ca. 2001). Note to husbands: it's worth investing in a second high quality headlamp even if your wife doesn't hike often. An unhappy wife does not a good outing make, and the second headlamp can always be added to a BOB or what have you.

Overall Remarks
Both the Tikka XP and the EOS are good headlamps. I found my EOS, modded with it's Seoul 1 watt LED, to be a bit brighter and and the quality of light a bit better (whiter). The EOS definitely has a broader beam area than the Tikka XP and is brighter at the edges of the beam area. The headlamps are comparable in size and weight. Of note is the fact that both headlamps fit well in the Petzl Poche (carrying pouch). I find attaching the carrying pouch to my backpack or belt when on night hikes gives me fast access to the light when I need it; beats the heck out of having to take the pack off and fumbling in the top pocket. The boost function (press a button and the light goes to high intensity for a brief period of time) of the Tikka XP is really nice when you want to take a quick look at a particular distant object. All things considered, I think the EOS has a slight edge, but the XP's red filter and boost mode tend to negate some of that edge. If Princeton Tec were to add color filter capability and a boost option, they'd have an even better headlamp on their hands. In my earlier remarks on this thread, I mentioned that I thought the Tikka XP was a bit more comfortable to wear. After playing with the various adjustments a bit more (strap and tilt angle), I find the two roughly comparable.

Summary of Observations
Princeton Tec EOS
Pros
-Whiter Light (note: modded with Seoul 1 watt LED)
-Broader Beam Area
-Brighter at edges of beam area
-More water proof (reputation, not personally verified)
-Lithium battery compatible
Cons
-No good way to add red filter

Petzl Tikka XP
Pros
-"Boost" mode
-Red (and other colors) filter compatible
Cons
-Not lithium battery compatible
-Somewhat more vulnerable to moisture
-Smaller beam area

Note: I didn't take either headlamp to the point of battery exhaustion, so I can't comment on the virtues (or lack thereof) of regulated vs. unregulated headlamps. As is typical, both headlamps didn't consume a lot of battery life. Both sets of batteries still tested "good" on my analog battery tester after extended use throughout the weekend. The battery life of the Tikka XP according to the specs on the REI website are vastly superior to the EOS, but the EOS is regulated and the Tikka XP is not, which perhaps is an "apples to oranges" comparison. I make no attempt to address such issues in this post.

My DW and assistant headlamp tester. smile

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any manufacturer, retailer, or other related firm of any of the products discussed herein in any way, shape, or form, nor do I have any financial interest in said products or their purveyors. I's jus' a bro' sharin' muh experience. Got it? smile

Re: Headlamp Notes - 11/04/08 06:56 PM

Does anyone have Petzl Tikka XP and the non-modified Princeton Tec EOS that would be willing to compare the two?

On a side-note ... I find it kind of funny when people ask for advice on gear since many people have only one or two models of that gear, so all they can really do is tell whether or not they are happy with that (those) particular models. It is somewhat rare that we see someone owning enough redundant gear that they can compare and contrast several models of gear.

In my case I have the EOS and am VERY happy with it, but I have no experience with the Petzl Tikka XP. It would be all too easy to tell people "You need to buy the EOS ... its the best!!". Thanks Jim for doing a one-to-one comparison of the two headlights. THAT is very useful information.