Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone

Posted by: AROTC

Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/26/08 09:26 AM

So I saw this device on one of Ray Mears videos on youtube and thought it looked good. Its a small stone (they make a three inch and a four inch version, I bought the four inch) with a thin diamond plate fixed to a thin synthetic stone. I don't have anything very dull around the place to try the diamond side on, but it seems to be on the finer side of coarse. The ceramic side on the other hand is on the coarser side of very fine. Completely sufficient to create a shaving sharp edge. It seems like a very decent pocket stone for field touch ups. I bought mine on Amazon.com for around $20.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/26/08 10:58 AM

I like Ray Mears a lot, and have watched every show of his that I could get my hands on. I think I know the stones that you're talking about.

Let us know how it works out.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/26/08 12:33 PM

Sounds like an interesting concept...
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/26/08 09:29 PM

I also have the 4" DC4 version of this stone. I think your description is right on. I have found it a very handy stone. The ceramic side has a bit of a "sawn" pattern in it that at first I thought odd, but it seems to work quite well.

Worth the coin I think.

Mears nails it down on a log to use...I found that a bit amusing. I use the sticky mesh stuff to keep it in place on a flat surface, that or bringing the stone to the blade works for me.
Posted by: HerbG

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/27/08 01:06 PM

It's on sale here: www.1sks.com/store/fallkniven-ss2.html
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 08/27/08 04:49 PM

Also look at Amazon...they have them listed for about $15....half that price from onestop but shipping costs range from $8-11.

Posted by: Gills

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 10/28/08 07:42 AM

I have one as well and have find it to be very handy and exactly as you describe. i feel it is a great combination of materials and very easy to use.... grin
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 10/28/08 08:23 AM

DC4 is best for general use.
DC3 for a survival kit.

I have to say that used correctly (and you need to go to the fallkniven website to learn how) they are the best field sharpener for scani ground knives.
Posted by: sodak

Re: Fallkniven Combination Diamond/Ceramic Stone - 10/30/08 03:22 AM

The "saw" pattern is simply a rough finish. Once you hone it down on a diamond stone, it works great. But it comes really rough from the factory.