heated winter tipi

Posted by: TheSock

heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 01:01 PM

Backpacker Magazine no longer have their annual 'editors choice awards' from years ago on-line. Their was a heated tipi (came with a folding metal stove) they recommended a few years ago. Anyone know what it was? Or any other tent that can be heated with a wood stove?
The Sock
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 01:10 PM

I stopped reading BP mag years ago, but this might be what you are looking for. I have never seen/used one, but have read lots of good stuff about them. Pricey, very pricey, tho...
Posted by: nursemike

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 01:11 PM

Courtesy of benjammin
Posted by: BobS

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 01:48 PM

Google wood tent heaters, you will get a lot of hits to look through.

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 04:32 PM

Thanks for that folks. You were right; the Kifaru site says it got the backpacker 2002 Editors choice award for the 4 man tipi. :-)
The Sock
Posted by: Mark_G

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 04:38 PM

I remember the article it was the Kifaru.

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

A little over priced in my opinion. They are the cats meow if you are "backpacking" but if weight is not an issue then you are much better served with a wall tent.

PS. one thing people don't realize is those small stoves (I have one) are not designed to burn through the night. Depending on how you have it set up, the wood, humidity, etc etc. the burn time is 25-45 minuets. I feed mine small amounts every 15-20 mins.

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 04:58 PM

Mark. Is it the kifaru stove that only runs for 20 minutes without refilling?
I assumed it was unique. Wood burning isn't an option in the UK, unless you carry the wood yourself. There are no forests you could light a fire in.
You don't have a link to the Editors choice awards do you? Or have they dissapeared off the net completely? There was an award for some hard anodized aluminium cookware the same year. And I can't remember the name of them either! Think the name of the company was a TLA.
The Sock
Posted by: Raspy

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/25/08 09:15 PM

Very light. But if you are dealing with really cold temps. you might want to look into Arctic Oven Tent

A lot heavier but much warmer. Tested in the worst conditions. Had a friend in Alaska that raved about them.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: heated winter tipi - 08/26/08 12:43 AM

Another tipi-like shelter to consider.

http://titaniumgoat.com/tents.html