Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!)

Posted by: Paragon

Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 02:27 PM

Although some of you may have seen my STOMP II Medical Pack posted over on Zombie Squad, I figured there would be those that don't get over there very often and might be interested in seeing it, so it can be viewed here in climberslaker's Official FAK Show-off Thread.

Thanks, Jim

Posted by: dweste

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 02:55 PM

Head hurts from looking at too much stuff. Wow. I'm intimidated and my PFAK, BOB FAK, and Bug-In FAK are going to hide under the covers for a while. Tell us when its safe to look again!
Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 03:01 PM

I agree with dweste. I would say it's like an entire Walgreen's in a pack but Walgreen's doesn't carry that many SKUs.

Really, how can I get you to be my neighbor?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 03:11 PM

Wow. How do you remember where everything is? I hate searching thru a bag/kit looking for something that I need RIGHT NOW...

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnE
How did you obtain all of the various prescription meds and other equipment that is FDA controlled?

I work as an EMT and I don't carry that much gear...

Over time I have developed good relationships and a mutual trust with my doctors, and they have an understanding of my training and appreciate my commitment to preparedness.

While the prescriptions are indeed varied, the quantities are quite limited (as they should be for personal use). I’m sure that it also helps that I always return the expired meds to them whenever asking for a new script, confirming that the meds are not being used inappropriately.

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I can't believe I'm about to suggest adding anything to your kit

Medications:
Levaquin & Cipro are great choices, both very versatile.
The only thing that I woud do is consider an anti-parasitic ( Flagyl ) and maybe some Diflucan

Those are just a couple of things that jumped out at me, I've had a lot of experience with wilderness/travel medicine and those two drugs are extremely valuable.

Thanks a bunch, those both seem like very good additions to consider.

Jim
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
IMHO, if the SHTF this is the kind of kit that you want to have on hand, even if some of it is beyond your skill/knowledge level, if somebody with the right training happens to be on site you're all in business.

I agree, and that's why I carry a kit that is beyond my level of training. Once, while off-duty (LEO), I rolled up on a fresh crash scene. A nurse happened by as I took control of the scene in an attempt to avoid additional problems. She tended the injured as best she could but, had I been prepared with my current kit, she could have done much more. Fortunately, we managed to do a fair job until on-duty help arrived.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 05:42 PM

I hope you own a medical supply store.

If not, what kind of interest rate did you get on the second mortgage? :-]
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 05:43 PM

Ok, that's a very impressive FAK. A+

I don't even want to know how long it took to build the post! eek
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 08:01 PM

That is by far the most impressive kit I've ever seen. I wouldn't have a clue of how to use most of that stuff, I would definitely say you have a kit that's better than any third world hospital. Outstanding and then some.......
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/21/08 10:07 PM

*stops*
*stares*
*jaw drops*
*stares some more*
*points*

A very good friend of mine is a former AF PJ, and he doesn't have this much in his car bag. I officially want Paragon on my team!

I saw a few survival items (LM, the mini bic, head lamp)- I might add a whistle, mirror, 25' or so of cordage (like 3mm accessory cord, if you can' wiggle in p-cord), and maybe a ferro rod or a sparklite. Nothing major, but just enough.

BTW, this post isn't even cable modem friendly. *laughs* Mine stalled out several times on this.
Posted by: epirider

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 12:37 AM

WOW! 9 years as an EMT and now a semester away from my RN. I have got to play with most of that stuff but never in one place and never in something smaller then an ambulance fresh out of the barn! THAT IS AN AMAZING KIT! The only thing I would add to it is a medi-vac helicopter and team of medics, nurses and a few doctors.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 05:46 AM

Jose Marimba... Did I see morphine in there? LOL

If you and the neighbors have to hunker down for a while it looks great.

The only thing I'd try to do with that setup is move toward as many gadgets with standardize batteries as possible and carry extras.

And one of those headbands with parabolic mirrors that docs used to use back in the day... laugh
Posted by: akraven

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 06:26 AM

How in the world you ever got a MD to give you that level of equipment and drugs with a Red Cross card is beyond me. Absolutely terrifying. akraven
Posted by: Johno

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 10:51 AM

Hells teeth, there is more kit there than in my Regiments ambulance. Its an awesome kit, very well stocked and laid out. Just a pity you cant use parts of it, saying that I carry kit for our medics to use on me just in case.
Posted by: Ranter

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 11:19 AM

That's a new definition of shock and awe! I'm in shock and awe LOL. The words "awesome kit" doesn't begin to cover it.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/22/08 12:59 PM

Hopefully the name on the prescription bottles matches the person carrying the kit, and a doctor is the one administering the stuff...
Posted by: Daniel

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/23/08 01:44 AM

All that morphine and so little narcan? Any concern about the legality of carrying all that stuff? Has the doc given you a letter explaining you can carry that stuff? Why did you select the 9.0 ET? You might consider adding tetracaine to the eye care kit.
If you are looking at serious trauma such as stuff you would be treating with quickclot you should have several more 1000ml bags of NS and macro drip sets. If you add those consider including a 14g or 16g with each one. 18g is the smallest you can go and still have a large bore iv.
For a conscious intubation consider etomodate or versed. Trauma
Since you have morphine in the bag you need to have it locked up...you are carrying a narcotic (controlled substance).
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/23/08 02:05 AM

The mother of all first-aid kits!

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 08/23/08 02:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and comments thus far.

Given the number of comments regarding some of the medications (especially the C-II's) apparently my attempt to properly preface my post has not been as clear as I had originally hoped.

Let me reiterate, the medications that I carry are prescribed for my personal use (only) in the event of a serious traumatic injury.

These meds are not for the aid of others, are not in case I get a nasty headache, or if I'm just having a bad day and want a pick-me-up. I carry copies of all the current prescriptions along with the meds in the pack, and obviously take all prudent measures in the storage and transport of them.

Thanks again to everyone for all the positive comments!

Jim

Posted by: scabby

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 09/29/08 12:46 AM

Paragon,

Just some quick question on the pack its self.

In 'panel 4' I see two bags with mesh tops (one contains quick clot and the other has your books/info/cheat sheets).

1/Do those bags come with the lit, or did you buy them else where?

2/Are the removable or fixed?

Panel #3, Zippered Pocket, Top

1/Would you say that this pocket can hold an Ambu SPUR II BVM?

And last one (for now);

How did you attach the Blackhawk® 3-Day Assault Pack Accessory Pouch, on the sides of your kit?

I am a medic in the Australian Defence Force and I’m looking at buying a new kit, the STOMP looks the go!

Thanks mate
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 09/30/08 10:17 PM

Man, I would love to just get the STOMP bag, simply for its great versatility and ability to organize.

I think I said it before, but great job man! As some have pointed out... might want some more Narcan if you have morphine. Narcan has a fast half-life. A 9.0 ET tube is probably too big for most things, but hey, they're light-weight.

BTW, I can't wait til I finally graduate, get my DEA license, and start buying some of that for my kit!
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 10/01/08 01:03 AM

are you studying to be a doc?

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 10/01/08 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: scabby
Paragon,

Just some quick question on the pack its self.

In 'panel 4' I see two bags with mesh tops (one contains quick clot and the other has your books/info/cheat sheets).

1/Do those bags come with the lit, or did you buy them else where?

2/Are the removable or fixed??

The mesh panels are sewn into the pack, and serve as the dividers for the removable airway and injectables kits. The literature was acquired separately, as was everything else in the FAK.

Panel #3, Zippered Pocket, Top

1/Would you say that this pocket can hold an Ambu SPUR II BVM?

Not without significantly crushing it -- the pocket is only a few inches deep. The 3-Day assualt pouches on either side of the pack are just the right diameter for the BVM.

How did you attach the Blackhawk® 3-Day Assault Pack Accessory Pouch, on the sides of your kit?

The accessory packs feature a pair of male and female side release buckles and straps which simply insert (in series) into the existing STOMP II side compression straps. The accessory pouches essentially then serve as the compression straps once installed, and swing down out of the way when access to the main pack is required.

Originally Posted By: MDiana
As some have pointed out... might want some more Narcan if you have morphine. Narcan has a fast half-life. A 9.0 ET tube is probably too big for most things, but hey, they're light-weight.

The Narcan has since been increased to 10mg (1mg/mL x 10mL vial).

Although they are somewhat difficult to see in the photo, there is also a 6.0mm and a 7.5mm ET tube in addition to the two 9.0 ET tubes located in the airway kit. I also have two King LT-D supraglottic airways (red tip) for PT’s 5’ to 6’ tall (one in the airway kit and a second in the supplemental airway accessory pouch).

Jim
Posted by: JerryS

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 10/08/08 11:57 PM

Most Excellent Jim,

I have been spending a few days checking things out and flowing the links you provided to the different vendors.(saved yourself a lot of answering "were did you get that") I myself am a EMT-I and work in a Hyperbaric and wound clinic as a CHT and I am always looking for more information and training. I like the King LT-D, I am looking more in to it to put in to my kit, and have seen some other items that you have that I will be picking up soon also.

Keep it up! with you in the neighborhood that DR friend will be looking for you when the SHTF

JerryS

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 10/17/08 09:18 PM

I wanted to go ahead and post a few photos of some of the items that others had suggested that I add to the FAK, as well as a few other things that I've picked up here and there since I originally posted:

I moved the Albuterol Rescue Inhaler over to the "Airway Kit" and substituted a Primatene Mist inhaler (next to the two EpiPens in Panel #2) to offer an intermediate (i.e., non-invasive) option for the potential treatment of less serious respiratory allergic reactions. The EpiPens remain the primary treatment option for more serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis.

I was able to pick up a couple of additional KING LT-D supralaryngeal airways at a decent price off ebay, so I went ahead and added one to my vehicle and camping FAK's (I already have two of these in the STOMP II in addition to several traditional ET tubes, and given the availability of the laryngoscope in the STOMP II, I don't really need any additional supralaryngeal airways here).

As Jim suggested, I added a RES-Q-VAC suction unit with a 40fr flexible Yankauer, as well as an additional 300 mL canister/FSP filter assembly.

Also as Jim suggested, I picked up a couple of B.I.G. (I/O Bone Injection Gun) intraosseous devices to supplement the existing IV supplies that I have. I had originally only intended to add the adult version (15ga needle x 2.5 cm injection depth) although Chinook mistakenly shipped one of the pediatric versions (18ga needle x 0.5 - 1.5 cm adjustable injection depth) to me instead, so I will probably go ahead and keep it just in case it's ever needed.

To round out the current IV supplies, I added three (3) large bore 14ga x 2" catheters, a 10 drop/mL Coil-IV administration kit, and a couple of large bore non-DEHP stopcocks. I can’t really envision ever needing anything this big, but a number of people felt the 18ga stuff I have was a bit wimpy.

-- Continued below --

Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) - 10/17/08 09:20 PM

-- Continued --

I’ve wanted to improve the capability of my field suturing kit for quite some time, but I didn’t really feel that I was knowledgeable enough to do so. I had an opportunity a few weeks ago during some wilderness training to get some additional practice, and I also did a fair amount of independent reading on the subject. Once again, closing a laceration outside of a hospital environment is not something that I really anticipate having to do, but if it ever becomes necessary, then I want to be sure that I have the correct supplies for the job.

Obviously the likelihood of ever needing to suture internal organs is extremely remote (even in a PAW or EOTWAWKI scenario) so non-absorbable sutures are the preferred choice for subcutaneous tissue closure. 4-0 (.15mm) sutures seem to offer the optimal compromise between tensile strength and size for anything that I’m ever likely to suture. Being synthetic, polypropylene offers exceptional resistance to degradation and tissue reactivity, while being a monofilament suture it offers some additional resistance to infection (over braided sutures).

I purchased three dozen 18” Ethicon Prolene sutures with the 3/8” MultiPass PS-2 reverse cutting needle. Obviously I don’t need this many sutures on-hand, although being fresh they have an expiration of July 2013, so if anyone is looking for just a few packages and doesn’t want to purchase a dozen at a time, shoot me a PM and we’ll work something out.

Looking over Jim’s STOMP II when he first posted it a few weeks ago I realized that I had completely overlooked the need for sterilized gloves (especially should I ever need to close a wound with sutures) so I added three pairs of these to the FAK.

I had originally planned on picking up a Nonin Onyx pulse oximeter at some point, so when I had a chance to pick one up at a decent price, I jumped on it. The Pelican case is the Justice Mark II version specifically designed for this SpO2 meter, and is available through Chinook Medical.

While I was looking over Chinook’s site the other week I ran across theses little QuikClots gauze pads (2g each) intended for nosebleeds. I had not seen these before, so I decided to pick some up to have available the next time I run across a persistent nosebleed.

I recently saw a bunch of specialty bandages and dressings at the local discount store for 75% off, so I grabbed pretty much everything they had left that had a reasonable expiration date. I really got excited when I saw the Hibastat towelettes thinking that they were perhaps the US equivalent of Hibicet – alas, they are not, so I guess I’ll have to strike up a deal with Jim to get him to ship some to me sometime.

At $180 an ounce I’ve never tried Neuragen PN, although I’ve heard several people claim it works phenomenally for nerve pain. I’m generally a bit skeptical when it comes to homeopathic treatments, but for 75% off (and another 2.5 years before it expires) I figured what the hell. Anyone here ever use it?

So anyway, that’s where my STOMP II is at currently. I still want to add an AED, an O2 cylinder, and a few miscellaneous items, but I feel that I’m in pretty good shape for anything that may occur. As always, comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

Jim