Use of condom as water carrier.

Posted by: morto

Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 12:46 PM

I am fairly new to this site and have been digging around in the archives quite a bit, and learning a lot.
If this has been discussed before please excuse me.
I have put a condom in my small PSK. If one had to use it as a water container how do you actually make use of it once it is full of water.
If you tie the end to seal the container you have to break the condom to use the water; ie you havbe to use it all at once.
If you leave it open how do you store it with waisting the water.
Thanks guys.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 01:04 PM

I think that most folks have discovered the points you make, and many have gone to the plastic "breast milk" type of bags for emergency water containers. They seal up, kindasorta like a ziploc bag...

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 01:13 PM

My daughter has a six month old baby, maybe she has a stash of milk bags.

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 01:24 PM

This is just one brand available, you can find them in 'bout any store that sells baby products (grocery stores, WallyWorld types, etc). They don't cost much...
Posted by: Kris

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 01:30 PM

I'm a big fan of:
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Aqua-Pouch%20-%201%20Liter%20Water%20Storage%20Container.htm

I have like 6 of them. I bought their Aqua Plus Purification Kit as well: http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/The%20Aqua-Pouch%20Plus%20Water%20Purification%20Kit.htm
(IMO its a good deal for the bag and tabs combo).

I have one of them folded twice - top to bottom, then left to right with zipper on outside (directions from the guy from the site), and it fits in my psk perfectly.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 01:50 PM

About how to carry it with out tying it, if you twist the top a lot, and then kind of turn the very top (not twisted) inside-out it should hold, but it really depends on the twists.

~CS
Posted by: dweste

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 02:04 PM

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138872&page=1
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 02:59 PM

IMHO condoms in survival kits, for other than their original intended use, are an anachronism. The idea of carrying water in them goes back to the 40s when plastics were new and there really wasn't much available that was light, compact and collapsible that you could use.

Lacking anything better soldiers were told to use condoms. Which are pretty miserable as water carriers. A latex condom only carries a small amount of water. Less if you try to tie or roll the top. If you tie the top the odds are that you won't get the knot out without destroying the condom. Rolled they are always in danger of leaking. A clip of some sort helps.

Even if everything goes well the latex is sensitive to sunlight and petroleum products. A little oil or grease, or a tropical sun and a day or so is all you can count on. And that assumes you don't drop your water supply, and sharp rocks or thorns don't puncture it. Anyone who doubts this needs to fill a couple of condoms and then try going for a hike using them as your canteen. With near infinite care, the condoms kept in a sock to protect from UV, oils and sharp edges and a clothespin used for closure I got mine to last for two days with one having a pinhole leak near the top. And this was with minimal traveling and movement.

I have been told the large size and extra-thick polyurethane condoms are much better. I may have to try them. They may be more adapted for water storage but, ironically, lass adapted for sex.

My choice has been Platypus bottles. These are tough collapsible tri-laminate plastic bottles. They roll up and remain compact until needed. I have found two of the half-liter bottles fit nicely in my PSK and they are much more practical than messing with condoms or tiny milk bags.

I try to have my water storage divided in at least two parts for redundancy. It also allows you to be drinking from one while waiting for the chemicals to purify water in the other. The larger one-liter version are nice and work well with most available water treatment tablets at the usual dose of one tablet per liter/quart. The larger two-liter bottles are handy around camp and they have a line bladders for hands-free hydration and 2L to 6L carriers for hauling larger supplies.

They are not entirely bulletproof, they can be punctured, but with care they stand up to a lot of abuse. If your careless thorns will poke tiny holes. The same company produced a form of glorified tape that will permanently seal minor leaks in the field.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 05:35 PM

I'd go so far as to say that a condom would be an absolute essential to the appropriate kit - depends on what you are trying to survive.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 06:49 PM

I keep both condoms and KY gel in my plumbing kit. I get some strange looks when people see them and jump to conclusions.

I use the condoms to plug drain and vent lines. They can be inflated to block water or air flow so pipe can be added with less trouble, stink or mess. Once the assembly is complete I thread a plumber's snake down the line with the tip configured as a sharp barb. This slips past the inflated condom, and when drawn back, both punctures it and catches it so it can be removed.

KY is a very good lubricant and good for lubricating O-rings, seals and slip fittings no matter what rubber or plastic compound they are made of. That and it washes away cleanly. Other lubricants can damage incompatible materials, are less slippery, don't wash off when you want them to, and are more expensive.

That, and you never know when your going to run across a lonely lady with a 'repairman fantasy'. It hasn't happened yet but if it does I'm covered.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 07:27 PM

Quote:
That, and you never know when your going to run across a lonely lady with a 'repairman fantasy'. It hasn't happened yet but if it does I'm covered.

Or two beautiful, lonely ladies out in the middle of nowhere...or any number of professional cheerleaders. whistle

-Blast
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
Condoms and breast milk baggies?
I detect a relationship.

Bad YoDuh! Sit!

You either need one or the other?
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
[snip] That, and you never know when your going to run across a lonely lady with a 'repairman fantasy'. It hasn't happened yet but if it does I'm covered.

I ran across a few lonely, usually drunken housewives when I was a paperboy. <shudder> No thanks.

BTW, one method to carry a water-filled condom is to remove a sock and carry it in that.

Jeff
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/14/08 11:43 PM

And it adds a dandy "flavor" to the water. Socks are a part of my survival gear. I always carry at least two pairs when out in the backcountry. One to wear, and a spare pair to wear if I'm forced to spend the so that I'll have something dry. Water in conjunction with something I depend on for thermal regulation doesn't sit well with me. I always carry a couple of bandanas. I would tie the bandana into a hobo style "bindle stiff" for transport. Of course if one has enough socks or a spare shirt sleeve or pant leg, those can work well too. Also a watch cap or something of that sort can be a good carrier (if you don't need it to stay warm that is!). I usually carry two caps (one light, one heavy), so "sacrificing" the lighter one isn't too risky.

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
Jeff,

You can put it in your sock?!?!

That sounds like a whole lotta brag to me :-)

Duh

Not really. I have a little tiny . . .

foot.

Jeff

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
as a good alternative to figuring out how to carry the condom, you could just use something better and not have to strip off half your clothes to carry the bloody thing. Lord above people, If you can't find room in your pockets for something better than a condom as a back-up water container than you must be really loaded down with gear.

Its included in some commercial kits. Consider it a backup. It's not in mine, though, because I agree that there are far better options. Also, in an ejection, ditching, capsize or escape situation, your gear tends to get dumped, lost or stripped away, and all you might have left is a tiny, last ditch survival kit tucked away deep.

Jeff

BTW, if a sock is "half your clothes" you've got other issues with your outdoor kit. And thanks for the visual. ;-)

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 01:40 AM

One is not 100% effective, hence the need for the other...
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 02:09 AM

Too true. As always, redundancy is a rock solid survival principle.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 03:38 AM

When everyone is done with the locker room humour try doing a site search. Forum members tested condoms.aquarium fish bags and other ideas way back in 2001 and came up with some interesting results.

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
When everyone is done with the locker room humour try doing a site search. Forum members tested condoms.aquarium fish bags and other ideas way back in 2001 and came up with some interesting results.

Oops . . . Sorry.

The search function here seems to go back only 3 years max. Could you clue us in?

Jeff

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 04:44 AM

Thanks for some good ideas. You know that pulling on a condom for its intended use can also save your life.
Posted by: adam2

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 06:38 AM

Condoms are so small and lightweight that its worth putting a few in a survival kit, both as emergency water containers and for the originaly intended use.
However as others point proper water bottles, or even reused soft drinks bottles are far more suitable and now very light weight.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 10:24 AM

Oven roasting bags. Just as small in the pocket, quite a bit larger, stronger and easier to use. Add a twist tie or a binder clip.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/15/08 11:00 PM

"Condoms and breast milk baggies?
I detect a relationship."

The failure of the first can lead to the second. grin

Sue

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/16/08 03:36 AM

Copycat wink wink wink
Posted by: Mark_G

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/18/08 12:57 PM

As others have said there are better ways to carry/store water.

Keep the condom in the Kit though, you never know when your survival situation may inclued a really HOT Chick, with questionable morals! With that in mind better carry a box or two. grin
Posted by: Mark_G

Re: Use of condom as water carrier. - 08/18/08 06:53 PM

Sorry moment of weekness I guess. But just so you know even people of faith get horny from time to time. Or in my case most of the time. So in a survival situation better to be safe than sorry I guess. lol It was meant in jest, hope I did not really offend.
I will never claim to be self righteous or perfect.