Posted by: Rodion

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/12/08 09:06 PM

Yes. (see avatar)
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/12/08 11:50 PM

WTF?
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/12/08 11:54 PM

Are we talking about the F/A22 Raptor? The raptor stun gun? A plain old bald eagle? Need more details to fully evaluate.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 12:05 AM

Did they escape from Jurassic Park? How come no one tells me these things?
Posted by: SWeddig

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 12:16 AM

The dinosaur kind.
They are being trained in paramilitary tactics in western China.

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: SWeddig
The dinosaur kind.
They are being trained in paramilitary tactics in western China.

I don't know about that, but did you see the guns on that Chinese gymnastics team?

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 12:32 AM

Alas, I am deficient in old school raptor defense. Please advise.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:13 AM

So far I have neglected defense against dinosaurs.

Particularly the mid-sized feathered dinosaurs. Jurassic Park got it wrong. In the unlikely event it becomes an issue I'm thinking triple ought buck and sabot slugs should provide some level of deterrence and control. Even bird shot might be good enough because their eyes are exposed and, evidently, pretty vulnerable.

Lacking that simply hamstringing the expendable guy in the group should provide enough time to get away. It always pays to have one or two in every group who are expendable. Star Trek had red shirts. We have Phil.

But remember the old poker adage: 'If you look around the table and can't spot the pigeon ... your it'.

Don't be the red shirt in your group.
Posted by: Fitzoid

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:16 AM

Yup, I bring a T-Rex with me. They just love velociraptors as a light snack.
Posted by: Fitzoid

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Rodion
Yes. (see avatar)

Hey, is that an IDF approved uniform?

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Even bird shot might be good enough because their eyes are exposed and, evidently, pretty vulnerable.

But they move so fast that you would be lucky to be that accurate. I'll take slugs.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:25 AM

Well, there was a couple of hill walkers who had to be rescued by a Coastguard helicopter in the Scottish Orkney Islands on Monday after being attacked by some Sea birds (Great Skuas). Is this what you are refering to?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7555812.stm
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
So far I have neglected defense against dinosaurs.

Particularly the mid-sized feathered dinosaurs. Jurassic Park got it wrong. In the unlikely event it becomes an issue I'm thinking triple ought buck and sabot slugs should provide some level of deterrence and control. Even bird shot might be good enough because their eyes are exposed and, evidently, pretty vulnerable.

Lacking that simply hamstringing the expendable guy in the group should provide enough time to get away. It always pays to have one or two in every group who are expendable. Star Trek had red shirts. We have Phil.

But remember the old poker adage: 'If you look around the table and can't spot the pigeon ... your it'.

Don't be the red shirt in your group.

Reminds me of the gamer adage, "I don't have to be faster than the dragon, I just have to be faster than you *trip*"
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 11:20 AM

Y'know, seems to me that my little concoction would work just fine on raptors as it does on zombies, trees, rocks, houses, cars...

Cannisters of HFl3, yep, a little dab'll do ya!!!

Trying to get the drop on them is futile. Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.
Posted by: TomApple

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Trying to get the drop on them is futile. Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.

Speaking of pee... I noted with interest that one of the groups in the Alaska Project on Discovery channel collected urine to mark around their cabin.

They noted that it did nothing to affect the movements of the bears, but the wolves who previously were wandering around right outside their cabin, stayed about 100 yards away after they made their urine perimeter.

So it was interesting to note that different animals will react differently to urine marks.

Cheers,

Tom A.

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 01:13 PM

Depends on where in the food chain the urine comes from. With bears in Alaska, what would they possibly fear? Most of the time they associate human smells with possible food anyways, thanks to the foolishness of many. Wolves not being quite the insatiable omnivores that bears are, and generally having mostly bad experiences with humans, it just makes sense.

Now, if you get something that starts chasing down and eating bears on a regular basis, that might be worth collecting. Of course then we have another new link in the food chain to contend with, eh?

Maybe Bigfoot pee might work???
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 01:58 PM

Got a Remington 870 with slugs and 00 buck, will that work???

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:02 PM

Based on the extreme rarity of said bigfoot, I would have to say that bigfoot is not a very successful predator. Not successful enough to breed, anyways.
Posted by: TomApple

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Based on the extreme rarity of said bigfoot, I would have to say that bigfoot is not a very successful predator. Not successful enough to breed, anyways.

I bet there's a government research grant in there somewhere. You could propose setting up unisex sasquatch urinals in the woods to collect bigfoot pee.

Supposedly some guys are going to prove the existence of Bigfoot this Friday by producing an actual body.

Getting back to urine and bears. I just wonder if all large mammals necessarily react to urine of other animals. Perhaps bears just don't care and wolves do. Do bears mark their territory with urine? I thought they claw a tree or something to mark their territory.

Perhaps there is some other scent that would deter bears, just as the smell of grape bubble gum deters geese.

Tom A.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:35 PM

Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.

I usedta have a brother in law who used to milk rattlesnake venom and collect T Rex urine. He was a good man *wipes mist from eyes*.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Got a Remington 870 with slugs and 00 buck, will that work???

Works for me! grin

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

So, what your saying is that Bigfoot, Bigfeet?, aren't much for fighting. And ... failing to breed, not much as lovers either.

No wonder we don't see many of them. If I was a failure on both counts I would stay out of sight also.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 04:26 PM

for a mere $30, I will sell you my secret defense against dinosaurs. guaranteed to keep you safe from rampaging dinosaurs from T-Rex to Velociraptors! You will stay alive with this kit or your money back!
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 04:26 PM

There were are a wide variety of Raptors that come in many sizes from the smaller Velociraptor, which was about the size of a turkey, to the later discovered Utahraptor, which was about 7' high and 21' long.

So, defense strategies would depend on what particular raptor you were facing. The main defense I would suggest, which is applicable to all forms of dinosaur, is not to travel back in time.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 05:11 PM

Mossberg 590A1 works for me.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/13/08 11:06 PM

I'm thinking this Weddig fella created this post just to see how everyone would respond, and is now sitting back laughing his raptor off grin

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/14/08 11:39 AM

I'd say you are more likely to collect Bigfoot pee these days than that of any dinosaur...

The whole urine as a deterrent thing is a bit pavlovian, in that the scent has to be associated with a known threat, thus my previous statement that where you are on the food chain will determine what sort of pee you will be afraid of. Bears being at the top of the food chain in the natural environment aren't going to be scared of much else except maybe another bear, and yes, bears mark territory as well, using all sorts of excrements. Typically bear scat is the most telling sign of the size of a bear; the bigger the pile, the larger the bruin that made it. For that reason, I prefer to eat heartily while playing out in the woods, thus being able to leave a mark that would "scare a bear", heh heh heh...

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/14/08 01:08 PM

Silly me, I was thinking more about birds, not critters from some movie...

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/14/08 01:10 PM

"...urine as a deterrent thing..."

I once read a book by a gal trying to hike the Pacific Crest Trail alone. She got into the Sierra, and was worried about bears. She had heard about the uring deterrent thing, so decided to give it a try. Her description of trying to waddle around her tent, peeing all the while, was a hoot!!!

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/14/08 01:29 PM

Got rained out today so here early today.

Better to use a deterrant, such as T-Rex urine.

I can see it now. <standing on boulder waving a coffee cup> 'Yooo Hooo ... Mr Rex ... Yes ... down here.

<clears throat> ... I say there Mr. Rex ... well this is a bit of a delicate matter. ... You see if I could just get you to pee into this cup it would be ever so nice of you ... My what large teeth you ha...

I guess the alternative approach would be to skulk around with a mop and bucket. Staying in the shadows and out of eyesight. Moving in to collect your prize when Mr Rex relieves himself.

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
I'm thinking this Weddig fella created this post just to see how everyone would respond, and is now sitting back laughing his raptor off grin

Quite. It is a funny subject. But, at the same time, it points out that planning ahead, thinking things through, improvising and working with what you have works no matter the situation.

Be it surviving in a city, in the deep woods, after a natural disaster or man made catastrophe the basics are always the same. While protection against velociraptors is, barring the sudden development of time travel, unlikely to be on anyones short list of real and immediate dangers there are commonalities between holding off velociraptors and dealing with other swarming and aggressive animals.

The ladies stampeding into the mall on half-off days comes to mind. I think I would rather face down the velociraptors. At least they don't insult and humiliate you before finishing you off. And velociraptors don't silently hamstring you and leave you to find out about it only when the credit card bill comes due.

In fact ... If I could find a velociraptor that could cook ...

Also make a very impressive watchdogs. If I come home and find my house has been broken into. Smears of blood and a half-eaten Air Jordan with toes still inside. My pet velociraptors are looking bloated, hiding under the bed, and acting guilty. They stare at me with those sad 'We numm numm but couldn't help it', puppy dog eyes.

The question is this: Do I call the police? Or do I just clean up and get a case of Pepto-Bismol for the stomach ache and bloating that always follows a large meal of scofflaw. Better get some Ducolax. Air Jordans, even after being ripped to shreds, can cause constipation. I can't have my pets suffer.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/15/08 11:27 PM

Oh, that's just GREAT!

Not only do I need an Anti-Zombie Kit, I need an Anti-Raptor Kit, too. And probably one for each type of raptor.

So, is a Mossberg 590A1, at 10 lbs (incl. extra ammo), possibly useful for all the zombies and all the raptors? And does it weigh more or less than the collection of other kits? I would really prefer multi-functional.

Sue

Re: Does anyone have? - 08/16/08 12:49 AM

I think a 12ga is a pretty good bet against most things.