Quick Camp knife review

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Quick Camp knife review - 08/10/08 09:47 PM

I was able to use my KaBar camp knife this weekend. Here is a short review.It's thick blade has good weight and balance. It can be used like a machete (clearing brush) or a hatchet (chopping up wood for campfires or for shelter building). Its just right for digging a hole too(you campers/hikers know what I mean) and its excellent for cleaning fish, and preparing a meal, not for skinning game. It really is a well made knife! Think of it as a combination hatchet/knife. Anyone who spends time in the outdoors will find that this knife will tackle most of your camp chores without any problem!

Posted by: wildman800

Re: Quick Camp knife review - 08/10/08 09:59 PM

I totally agree with your assessment!!!
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Quick Camp knife review - 08/10/08 11:00 PM

Looks like a useful blade. The military issued a similar item from 1909 to 1940, called a bolo knife. feel out of use, supplanted by the machete.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Quick Camp knife review - 08/11/08 02:08 AM

i'm not a fan of "almost an axe" kind of knives..but..thats
the sort of thing i would keep in a float plane or power
boat that was used in remote northern areas..looks like it
would be a heavy carry..
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Quick Camp knife review - 08/11/08 02:14 AM

How was the edge after digging a hole or three? I have never been a big fan of sticking my blades into the dirt just to get a cathole, seems that digging equals a dulled edge to me...
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Quick Camp knife review - 08/11/08 01:03 PM

ODB, edge retention was pretty good. Before I left home for my weekend field trip, I did a few cutting tests. Nothing scientific, just cutting some leather and paper as well as shaving some wood. There really wasn't any discernible difference in cutting the same materials after getting back from the field.

CANOEDOGS, Yes it is a little on the heavy side, but remember that this is by no means an EDC knife. It's good at it's intended use as a camp knife. If worn on the belt it's quite manageable. Carrying in a rucksack, thats another story...