Eneloop vs Lithium

Posted by: ironraven

Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 02:19 PM

I've looked at some of the rechargable lithiums, as well as the Eneloops.

Eneloop seems to have the market base, but no CR123s and no solar or universal charger (not that I've seen).

I can find Li-Ion cells in CR123, AAA and AA, but no universal charger. I've seen some solars that are dedicated to one type or another. They also don't seem to have the market.

So I guess my question is, as someone who's not sure he'll ever be able to get down to JUST AAs, which one makes more sense? I like solar chargers because, well, they are free.

(Oh, and for those that are wondering, there were issues trying to make solar charger out of a yard lamp as I had discussed a few weeks ago. Called they've been sold out ever time I go to look for them, other than really junky ones that use NiCads, no NiMH.)
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 02:31 PM

well do you really need the solar charger? Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells. Besides solar is much slower and doesn't give you more advanced charging options.

I personnaly ditched all mine lithium-ion batteries and chargers and went with low self-discharge NiMH (eneloop, recyko and vapex instant). NiMH are much safer and can be used on more electronics.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 05:22 PM

I looked at Li-Ion AA batteries but the fact that they run at 3.6 volts instead of the 1.2 volt NiMH or 1.5 volt Alkaline/lithium AA's was a negative. Imagine someone getting hold of those with the thought that they were a direct substitute for standard AA batteries -- no thanks.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 09:25 PM

They make a LiIon AA that runs at 1.2-1.5V, I've seen them. Let me see if I can find the manufacturer.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: PC2K
Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells.

An interesting statement, but I'm not sure I follow. I"ve never heard of a solar charger negatively impacting the life cycle of a batter. And yes, I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.

What model of charger do you recommend for that specific application?

Jeff

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 10:33 PM

Still looking, honestly. That is why I was going to make one. The other option is a semi-flexible cell that I can put on the top flap, and run wires into the pack. Not really the look I want, though.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 10:52 PM

Still looking, honestly. That is why I was going to make one. The other option is a semi-flexible cell that I can put on the top flap, and run wires into the pack. Not really the look I want, though.

I have no experience or connection with them but have you considered a backpack from Voltaic Systems? If the bag itself is worthy, I would want the solar panel to be removable so that I could leave it in camp if desired. I see nothing that indicates a removable panel.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/10/08 11:10 PM

Check out the SunLinq 6.5. I both the SL 6.5 and the SL 25.

Edit: That doesn't help much with CR123 Li-Ion rechargeables though. I limit myself to charging AA NiMH.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: PC2K
Charging with a proper charger, is way better for your cells.

An interesting statement, but I'm not sure I follow. I"ve never heard of a solar charger negatively impacting the life cycle of a batter. And yes, I like solar because you can lash it to the top of a pack.

Well all the solar NiMH chargers I have seen are usually “dumb” and will only charge in pairs or more at the same time. So when your charging your cells they may be charged unbalanced (one being overcharged, well the other isn’t full yet) or being overcharged. Chargers with independent charging bays will prevent this. Also I have yet to see solar chargers with refresh, recover or diagnostic options. But than again I’m a but of a nerd about mine NiMH batteries.
Posted by: comms

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 05:29 AM

I started a thread about AA's without seeing this one. I apologize for the duplication.

I bought a solar panel charger from Harbor Freight, go to the website and use item number 41427-2VGA to view it. It cost $12. It charges by solar using various attachments and also charges two AA batteries in the back.

I am going to strip one of attachments and solder a USB connection to it so that I can charge my cell phone and iPod which both have USB connecting wires currently used with my laptop. When I do this I will post my findings.

Its a cheap but sturdy unit and if in the end I can only charge AA's then with the year round sun in Arizona, I will still make out well.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 11:16 AM

Most solar chargers are not smart chargers. To get a long lifespan from batteries you want to be careful to charge at a good rate, don't over charge, and don't under charge, the majority of solar chargers do not have any mechanism to do any of those.

I saw that voltaic backback mentioned above but it has a lithium ion battery so remember to fator in replacement battery cost every 3-4 years as lithium ion won't last 10 years like an nimh.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 11:41 AM

How are we defining "solar charger"?

What I use is a Powerfilm RA-3b, a four AA unit that takes a 12 volt input from, in my case, a 6.5W solar panel.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 12:06 PM

That charger looks a lot like a MAHA so its might be a decent one. What most people consider solar charegrs are ones that have the panel built in, this apears to be a standard 12v input charger.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 12:51 PM

Interesting. Before it got the Powerfilm RA-3b label, it was marketed as the MH-C204GT Smart Charger. I agree re the solar panels that have built in chargers, I had one from Brunton that was useless.

I just looked at the La Crosse Technology BC-900 AlphaPower Battery Charger and the Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer. While they look great for wall plug applications, can either be connected to a solar panel?

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 01:13 PM

204 is a maha model number, its a 4 slot but charges in pairs. The picture of the RA-3b looks like it has 4 leds so that makes me think its a MAHA 401 (4 channel charger).

There is nothing preventing any charger from being connected to a solar panel, you can connect anything you want, you don't have to buy a "solar charger".

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 01:44 PM

So I can buy a Maha MH-C9000 and connect it to my 25 W solar panel -- cool. How does it work when the panel puts out 1500mA and the charger is looking for 2000mA?

Or is that a max amperage and the idea would be to charge at a slower rate?

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 02:40 PM

You do have to make sure the panel can provide enough current for whatever load your running, charger or otherwise. Reemeber that 25w panel is usually a ideal conditions measurement which you may never see in the real world.
Posted by: Fitzoid

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 02:53 PM

Simple, don't charge at 2000 mA. Your batteries will thank you for that.

Missed this thread. Eneloops appear identical to Maha's new Immedion line.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 03:19 PM

So it looks like the Maha MH-C9000 and the La Crosse Technology BC-900 are both excellent, but while the Maha unit will take a 12V input straight from the solar panel, the La Crosse takes a 3V input.

That alone pushes me toward the Maha for solar applications. Too bad it's so big.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 03:27 PM

Yep, the Maha comes with a cable for a 12V DC power source, which is very handy for cars and many solar chargers.

But the La Crosse is probably a better solar charger in general because you can set the current down to 200mA/battery if necessary. (The BC-900 is much more sophisticated than the Maha, but you're unlikely to be using most of its fancy features in an emergency.)

However, if I lost power, I would likely first charge this or a larger capacity SLA and then use it to power my rechargers.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 05:20 PM

The Maha also goes down to 200mA. I have one.

The cost to run rechargables is so low I don't think the savings from solar are significant. The benefit is not relying on the grid, which matters in extended power cuts or when away from civilisation.

I use Eneloops rather than Li-Ion except where equipment comes with its own Li-Ion (phone, camera etc).

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/11/08 05:29 PM

I have a Maha too. Actually, the slow charge current for AAs is 300mA, not 200. But the difference is minor and shouldn't have any impact.

I only use solar during power outages, camping, Field Day (a ham radio thing), or just to check out everything works w/o electricity.

Otherwise, I recharge via AC, as it just costs a couple of cents per battery to recharge.

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/12/08 12:44 AM

For a solar or bob charger look at something simple like the maha c401fs. the small size works well in my bob as well.

Then I have the c9000 for those once a year or so maintenance cycles.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Eneloop vs Lithium - 08/16/08 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
I have a Maha too. Actually, the slow charge current for AAs is 300mA, not 200.
Maybe we are talking about different products? I have the MH-C9000. It doesn't have a "slow charge" as such; rather, it lets you pick the charge current. As the specification on the linked page says, the lowest charge current is 200mA.

It's a good charger, but physically bulky if you plan to carry it around backpacking, and the user interface is a bit cumbersome too. It has no permanent memory, and if you want anything other than the factory defaults you have to re-enter them every time for every battery. It doesn't even use the settings for the first battery as the defaults for the second.