Spam - a small question

Posted by: Nishnabotna

Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 02:57 PM

Is a can of Spam wet enough to pop its can when it freezes, or can it traverse freezing temps with impunity?
Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 03:27 PM

If no one has an answer, I say, take a can, seal it in a much larger Ziploc and chuck it in the freezer. Then let us know in a few days what happened.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 04:19 PM

Doh!
I'll have to do that this weekend. Need to pick up some spam first.
I wish I could think of the simple solutions first frown
Posted by: BobS

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 04:28 PM

They also make Spam in single use foil package, it’s enough for one sandwich and sells for .99 cents. It would open when frozen.

But I have to ask, how you going to eat a block of frozen meat? Cooking it will likely burn the outside before you thaw the inside. Boiling it would work, but then this would also work for the whole can. As long as you put the can in warm water and not let the water boil to much so the can doesn’t explode it would work. The foil package of Spam would thaw quickly in boiling water or even work if fried as it’s only 3/8 inch thick.

Better to sleep with it in your sleeping bag with you or carry it under your coat in a shirt pocket to keep it from freezing.
Posted by: CAP613

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 04:32 PM

With the amout of salt in SPAM I wonder at what tempture it will freeze ?
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS

But I have to ask, how you going to eat a block of frozen meat?

How are you going to eat it when it thaws?

(signed)
he who is not a fan of poorly-identified canned animal parts

-Mikey

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Originally Posted By: BobS

But I have to ask, how you going to eat a block of frozen meat?

How are you going to eat it when it thaws?

(signed)
he who is not a fan of poorly-identified canned animal parts

-Mikey

What's hard to identify about lips and assholes? mmmm
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 08:52 PM

Quote:
What's hard to identify about lips and assholes? mmmm

Bloody hell man, that was good for a laugh. laugh grin grin

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/07/08 11:25 PM

The kids in the slaughter house call it 'teats, tails and touch holes", but it includes lungs, assorted organs, and anything else that falls into the grinder and lacks the agility to jump back out. At that, its more wholesome than the stuff that goes into Vienna sausage.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 01:44 AM

Quote:
Is a can of Spam wet enough to pop its can when it freezes, or can it traverse freezing temps with impunity?

Just curious, but why would you freeze something which has such a long shelf life to start with? Or were you just wondering?

Quote:
At that, its more wholesome than the stuff that goes into Vienna sausage.

Hey, easy now. These were a treat growing up. Just like a kid afraid to look under his bed at night in fear of what he may see. I am afraid to look at the list of ingredients on Vienna sausages. They sure are good while camping though.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 01:55 AM

I don’t think the intent was to freeze the Spam, but more of a what if it did freeze in the winter.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 01:59 AM

ahhh. Makes sense.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 10:27 AM

Right.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 11:13 AM

Spam is probably more wholesome than I allege. The prejudice developed after I spent a week visiting my brother, who worked as a meat inspector in a rural NY slaughterhouse. I was off hot dogs for about a year, thereafter. lso discovered that a skinned bear, hanging in the freezer, looks a lot like a skinned person might. Gave me insight into the behavior some of the shaved bears who work the night shift in selected hospitals. Upside was that the slaughterhouse was near Fort Drum, and there were a lot of surplus bargains in the local garage sales.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 11:40 AM

I've kept a can of spam in my rig in the past when it was well below freezing, and it was just fine.

I don't reckon that meat expands like regular water when it freezes. I believe the water is bound up enough that even if you go below the freeze point, it will not work the same in a semi-solid suspension like this.

Spam has a lot of saturated fat and sodium, even the low sodium version.

Anyone ever try and dry it, like chipped beef?

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 12:33 PM

Spam jerky? I'll add it to the spam experiment.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 01:04 PM

My wife used to be a security guard at a rasin plant. To this day she will not eat a rasin. There are many things about the food we eat that you just do not want to know. Kindasorta like watching a gunsmith work on your favorite firearm, don't do it!!!

Posted by: Ainokea

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 03:48 PM

Frozen Spam? Auwe! Why didn't I ever think of that?

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 04:40 PM

Put a stick in it first, and you have a meat popsicle!

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 04:52 PM

You would have a something popsicle, don’t know that you could call it a meat popsicle
Posted by: nursetim

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Spam is probably more wholesome than I allege. The prejudice developed after I spent a week visiting my brother, who worked as a meat inspector in a rural NY slaughterhouse. I was off hot dogs for about a year, thereafter. lso discovered that a skinned bear, hanging in the freezer, looks a lot like a skinned person might. Gave me insight into the behavior some of the shaved bears who work the night shift in selected hospitals. Upside was that the slaughterhouse was near Fort Drum, and there were a lot of surplus bargains in the local garage sales.

I can't remember which class this little tid-bit of info came from but here goes. The American Indians would send the women of the tribe out of camp whenever they brought a bear into camp for dressing for that very same reason. I found this facinating.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/08/08 11:06 PM

I have dried it.

Slice it thin, like 1/8". Put it one layer deep on a ceramic plate. Nuke on high for three minutes. Crispy, dry, and kinda like bacon without smoke.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 10:51 AM

Yes, frozen solid with no outward ill effects. Now I'll thaw it and see how it comes out of the can.
I assume I could eat it just like I could drink my frozen water. At worst you could build a fire and sit the frozen items next to it to thaw, assuming you could make a camp fire. If you only have something like an esbit stove you could shave off slices with your knife and cook it that way. Doesn't matter so much if its frozen then.

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
My wife used to be a security guard at a rasin plant. To this day she will not eat a rasin. There are many things about the food we eat that you just do not want to know. Kindasorta like watching a gunsmith work on your favorite firearm, don't do it!!!

Is there a big security exposure at a raisin plant? Raisin rustlers? Prune pirates? Grape grabbers? Apricot abductors?
Just askin...

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 01:30 PM

"...Is there a big security exposure at a raisin plant?..."

Beats me, but she said that they had three roving guards on graveyard shift. Of course, this was in central CA, where they will steal anything that is not tied down...

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 04:12 PM

Back when I worked as a maintenance mechanic at Iowa Beef, there was a definite difference between being on the slaughter and butcher side of the plant, and being on the rendering side. Funny thing is, I would have to work the gut pile auger or the mealy or the hide soaker in the rendering side fixing something, then have to go to the butcher side and work on the conveyor or the chain hoist or the carcass rinser, and there was no provision for cleaning yourself or the equipment in between.

Nothing beats being up to your bellybutton in guts to give you a real sense of tolerance for what you eat. After working that stunt, dressing an elk or a deer wasn't disturbing at all. The toughest part of working at the plant (other than being hot and sweaty from dusk till dawn), was when they would bring in the 4-H bulls from the fair, and they'd be all dolled up and looking for their pampering session, and the boys would hot shot them into the knocking chute. I don't know as I care much for turning my food into a pet beforehand.

Anymore I make my own ground meat (beef, sausage, weiners). It is a chore, but the result is I know what is in my food, and I can control the quality. If there was one thing I learnt about working the slaughterhouse, you don't want to buy ground beef in a tube anymore.

I reckon the not knowing part of this is for the better. As much as it might turn folks stomachs to have to raise and butcher and process their own beef, if most folks ever saw what happened in a plant, they would be far more afraid of what comes out of there and onto their plate, maybe enough to convince them doing it themselves is preferable, or else going veg...

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 08:39 PM

I visited a peanut butter plant in dothan, alabama-had a friend at fort rucker-and watched as they opened cases of outdated pb and scraped it into the new stuff on the line. It gets heated and renewwed , or diluted, or something. Even the freaking vegetables (legumes) are not terribly wholesome in the processing. FDA limits for rodent feces and insect parts in flour are substantially greater than zero. Beer is safe, and the insects that you gather in your yard-all else is in qusetion if processed.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 10:34 PM

Beats me, but she said that they had three roving guards on graveyard shift. Of course, this was in central CA, where they will steal anything that is not tied down...

Don't you mean the grapeyard shift.....

wink

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/09/08 11:00 PM

I am speachless...
Posted by: Stu

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/10/08 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe

Don't you mean the grapeyard shift.....

wink

DOH. smile
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/10/08 10:52 PM

I am an invertebrate punster - I'm spinelessly unable to resist a pun

Re: Spam - a small question - 08/10/08 11:07 PM

Thawed spam tastes the same as fresh spam.