Tropical Storm Edourd

Posted by: Blast

Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 02:31 PM

It's going to be a dark and stormy night. Current predictions have it heading straight for Houston.
Edourd Situation Page

It's supposed to be a fast moving storm so the area shouldn't have the flooding issues like TS Allison caused. I'm 75 miles inland, we are predicted to get 3-5 inches of rain, but winds may still be a steady 50mph with high tornado risks.

All I need to do is clear the yard, all other hurricane preps were made the last week in May. I'm tempted to swing by Walmart to see how poeple are dealing with this. There doesn't seem to be much concern in the air. It popped up out of nowhere over the weekend so I suspect many didn't learn about it until this morning.

I'm hoping I won't have to go to work tomorrow...

-Blast

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 03:13 PM

It doesn't look as if Edouard will be too bad, but still, stay safe!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 03:14 PM

Batten down the hatches and stay safe!
Posted by: MrDrysdale

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 03:17 PM

Looks like this is going to be a rainmaker. Blast; funny that you mentioned Allison because this thing got started in about the same spot and we remember how nasty that storm was with rain.

This morning I heard one of the weather talking heads mention the potential of 8"s of rain here in Galveston County. When it rains a few inches it floods the roads. With all the growth in the area; there is no place for the water to run. This is not going to be fun!

I to am ready. I have the plywood and plylox but not anticipating needing them. I'm hoping my office closes since we are 3 blocks from Galveston Bay. I have plenty of homebrew and even if I lose power it will stay cold long enough to drink it!

Maybe this will be all the hurricane weather we will get for the season!

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 04:29 PM

Tropical storms are just the daily afternoon thunderstorms here, but for a slightly longer period.

Now, when they get to a Cat 3, I might think about doing something out of the ordinary.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 04:34 PM

I'm in HurCon I. We'll see how much rain we're going to get but the winds should be no more than 45-55mph range.

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
It's always funny to watch how people along the gulf coast get nervous every time a possible storm comes by. In Florida we don't even give it much thought if it's a Tropical Storm or a Level 1 Hurricane.

Last time we had a Tropical Storm come by I remember saying "Good. We could use the rain."

We could use the rain also! I just do not want it all in one day.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 06:45 PM

Blast: Tape the windows and blow up the boat, have fun and you and your family (and cat) be safe.

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 07:09 PM

Uh Blast,,,,,,,Maybe the cat will be better off outdoors, then again, maybe that idea should wait until a Camille or Betsy comes along and y'all have to evac, accidentally forgetting the cat outdoors.

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Awww quit your whiney, Cowboy! Lol. When it rains here I got three ponds that flood and end up having a white water river flowing between my house and the one beside me! I got worries, I tell you...worries.

This is meant to be light hearted, so don't take it too seriously. I just laugh a little when people get all worried about storms that I've played little league games in. We get tropical waves and tornadic activity here daily. It's just like "Eh.."

Since you're from Florida I didnt take anything you were saying seriously! LOL laugh

It sounded like Blast was worrying! Not sure why since he basically lives in a suburb of Dallas; up in Spring! wink

But like Blast; I'm hoping for a day off!

Posted by: Blast

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 07:57 PM

Quote:
It sounded like Blast was worrying! Not sure why since he basically lives in a suburb of Dallas; up in Spring!

I'm just looking for a reason to not do the pushups. grin

-Blast
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 08:27 PM

This is true about Fla, being in central Fla, we don't pay much attention to the hurricanes unless the wind threat exceeds 100mph. The rain storm you will be getting will help refill your rain collection system and water the plants and cars. You may be able to take the canoe for a trip in the neighbor hood on any low areas in the road. If you'll lucky, you'll get a day off work. Man I miss those days... Good luck Blast and party on....

Last big hurricane time we were up to 110mph in the backyard and a couple of our 4x4 fence post snapped and I was getting a little worried about the garage door. Since then I have a new hurricane rated garage door with 4x4 reinforcement, now I just hope the roof will remain strong and not pop off, it made it to 110 mph, but it won't do that forever with the stresses. Once we lost power, we fired up the 12.5 KW Generac generator and everything was ok. Now with the fuel prices and my 80 gallon fuel tank (that is empty), we will definitely have to conserve energy by running it to charge the fridge and freezer for 1 hour and then only turn it back on to sleep at night. It would be nice to be off the grid........

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 08:39 PM

Thanks for the link, Blast!!

It makes it easier to watch as it goes by us. By the way, if worse scenario were to occur, you know where we are.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast

It's supposed to be a fast moving storm so the area shouldn't have the flooding issues like TS Allison caused.

4-7 knots doesn't sound fast to me. But there appears to be nothing to the west or north (high pressure systems etc) to make it slow down or stall.

Tropical Storms often aren't a big deal, but something like Claudette, where rainfall can be measured in *yards* of rain per eight hours, will be a problem anywhere. And the flat terrain in Houston makes for more problems than other areas.

Almost all of the really destructive storms I remember growing up in Houston were tropical storms, not hurricanes. It was the tropical storms that either parked overhead for a while or kept coming back for more.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 11:11 PM

Be a good time to break out the old skateboard and garbage can lid and go parasurfing down the street (ah memories of a foolish youth....)

Seriously, I thought about y'all when I was watching the weather report and little E's projected track.

I figure if anyone's locked and loaded to handle anything in that part of the neighborhood it's good ol'Blast.

Be safe (and remember, if you get scared Mini and Mambo will be there to protect you...)
Posted by: backwoodsman

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 11:19 PM

Ok, I'm a little jealous cause you guys get to have all the fun. I guess us Okies will just have to keep enduring our usual summer fun (107 degree heat index) lol.

Watching the 11th hour rush on Walmart does sound like fun. All those people buying stuff they will end up selling at their next garage sale.

Have fun guys and if you get an opportunity send a little of that wet stuff our way.

Backwoodsman
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/04/08 11:21 PM

Head down, ears up. I can't imagine you aren't ready. :P
Posted by: kmat

Re: Tropical Storm Edourd - 08/05/08 02:31 AM

Blast,

8" of rain? How deep did you say you buried the kayak in the back yard? I hear Spring Creek calling!!!
kmat