Sam Andy "Survival" food?

Posted by: MichaelJ

Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 05:02 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with Sam Andy foods? I found a person locally who is selling their 1 year supply for a family of 5 for $300. The catch is, it's 20 years old! It was advertised as having a 30 year shelf life; and after seeing that thread on the 30 year old Mountain House food, that seems possible. It would be worth $300 to have emergency food on hand for the next ten years.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 05:29 PM

I've never heard of them but have you Google'd Sam Andy??

Still and all - 1 years food for a family of 5 that still has a good 10 years (minimum) shelf life left, sounds like a reasonable risk to me.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 05:44 PM

I guess I'd be curious as to why he's selling it after 20 years? And where did he get all of this 20 year old stuff?

Curiosity aside, I'd want to inspect the packages -- or at least spot check -- looking for tears, swelling, overall condition, etc.
Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 05:49 PM

Their website says "Sam Andy foods last 15 to 25 years plus."
Posted by: MichaelJ

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 06:04 PM

Actually, SHE is getting rid of them because she is moving cross country. She said she bought them for her family (parents and siblings) in case of an emergency. Now she lives alone, is moving, and doesn't need or want so much stuff. I going to go look at (and spot check) the lot this weekend.

I called the company, and the person I talked to said the food should be fine as long as the cans aren't dented. She said depending on their storage conditions over the years they should be good for another ten at least. Either way, if it looks OK, $300 is a great price for $8000 worth of food.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 06:44 PM

Sounds like a good bet.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 06:53 PM

Ask her for a sample.

Take a look at it, if it looks good try it, and if you don't get sick, buy the rest. $300 is a great deal... Unless you hate the taste, but you can figure that out with the taste test.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/01/08 10:54 PM

Sounds like a good deal as well, if she would even let you buy a sample or two, then it would be a good deal. I would sample a few cans if possible to get a better idea.

Here's the old thread for the Mountain House food

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post132090
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/02/08 03:28 PM

so, how many cans is that??

Just wondering because that sounds like a really, really good deal!

-CS
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Sam Andy "Survival" food? - 08/02/08 05:31 PM

Canned food has an indefinite shelf life if the can is intact. Some has been opened after a century and found to be safe. But that does not mean the vitamin content won't have been reduced.
The Sock