strikers

Posted by: Anonymous

strikers - 07/26/02 12:28 AM

what can i use for strikers for the various types of nato/storm matches, conventional and unconventional?
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: strikers - 07/26/02 12:37 AM

The most dependable is the striker from a common road flare. Lifeboat matches are rather finicky. Have you reviewed Doug's comment on the striking angle? They also have a disheartening habit of snapping. A strike anywhere match has an ignition head and the wood is the tinder. NATO types area all about the head. I can manage to light one with the pebbled striker from strike anywheres and a hard surface. I also sacrificed two boxes to learn to !
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: strikers - 07/26/02 11:35 PM

I've always wanted to ask this. Like a good doobie, I keep road flares in my pickup. I have noticed, on occasion, that the striker material seems to flake off. And, sometimes, there isn't enough left to light the flare. Am I doing something wrong? Is that material sensitive to heat and time? Should I be rotating these out? Sometimes, it gets warm in Phoenix, AZ.<br><br>Xavier
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: strikers - 07/27/02 01:34 AM

Do you keep the plastic covers on? This is a good time to address gear in general.The finest stainless steel knife will someday turn to rust, survival rations go bad,compasses stored near a magnetic source suddenly start pointing to Rio De Janiero. It's called time and it effects everything, including us. Maintenance and periodic inspection is the key ;O)