Earthquake in SoCal

Posted by: JohnE

Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 06:15 PM

5.8 magnitude earthquake struck at 11:44 approx. 29 miles SE of downtown L.A.

A second smaller aftershock occurred at 11:54.

No reports of injuries or damages so far.

I could sure feel it up here in Pasadena, CA.

John E
Posted by: m9key

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 06:27 PM

check those bobs, faks, psk kits, and edc's
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 06:58 PM

Keep safe folks.

Posted by: Susan

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:07 PM

Some places have been hit with a moderate "foreshock", and then the Big One let loose. Hope that's not the case there.

Fill the water jugs.

Sue
Posted by: Stu

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:09 PM

May all of the ETS members an d their families and friends be safe.
Keep the BOB's handy.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:13 PM

Not a quiver in San Diego.

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:21 PM

Quake has now been downgraded to a 5.4 magnitude and the "official" USGS time of occurrence is 11:42 PST.

Reports of minor damage are starting to come thru on local news. No injuries or fatalities reported so far.

John E
Posted by: Arney

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:22 PM

Yup, been a while since I felt an earthquake that strong. Shook us up pretty good here in south Orange County, but not strong enough to do any damage, I think.

Twenty minutes later, I'm out driving to get some lunch. I'm stopped at a red light and I just happen to glance in my rearview mirror. Someone behind me in the next lane is coming up fast and jams on their brakes and skids to a stop half way across the intersection. Didn't notice the red light. Anyway, just goes to show how most of us will probably buy the farm the usual ways, and not in some spectacular disaster like the Big One.

Posted by: wildman800

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 07:39 PM

Good Luck everybody in So. Cal!!!

Like Susan and Nicodemus say, it's time to set ThreatCon Echo, to be prepared for aftershocks, or like Susan mentioned, perhaps this was just the "Fore Shocks" of the BIG ONE.

Get all preps up-to-date, like:
water, food, portable/temporary shelter (tents, camper, etc), means to cook, bathroom requirements, contingency plans & escape route(s) reviewed & updated, prepare/replenish your boat/camper for getting underway (if you have 1), stock up on paper products, get prescriptions refilled, etc.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 08:15 PM

I was sitting in the local Trader Joes parking lot ( for our overseas members, it is a chain grocery with wine,cheese, deli type foods.)My Toyota starts to bounce like a smallboat hitting swells. I looked at the trees, no wind. I looked behind me, no ex girlfriends. I looked around, people unconcerned. I decided it was my imagination. We then went to the Post Office. Lady in line is on the cellphone telling some suger daddy in New York she needs emergency money NOW, there is panic buying for food and water.I ask my cute korean postal clerk if we had a shaker? " Yes, it was @ 5.6 in Chino" I said " Oh, I thought my imagination was playing tricks on me." She replied " No this was much safer, Chris."I came home, Cat had dragged his sack of dried food, all 5 pounds of it under the table.

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 08:36 PM

It sounds like your cat has been surfing ETS, at night, after y'alve (I think I just invented a new word?), gone to bed. Keep an eye on your computer's browsing history.

I'm glad to hear that y'all are alright and I hope the rest of the affected Californio's are alright and whole as well!!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 08:43 PM

There was SO a quiver in San Diego! I felt my chair "luff in the breeze" for a good 5 seconds. Barely.

Just as an aside, I grew up (and my parents live) within a mile of Chino Hills. Of course, the range of hills is several miles long, so who knows where in that stretch it was. But, my parents sure felt it more than me!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 09:06 PM

Quote:
Cat had dragged his sack of dried food, all 5 pounds of it under the table.

Time to check the missing pets column, just to see how many cats and dogs have decided to bug out. Hopefully the 5.6 was the big event and not a foreshock for the big one on Thursday late morning (highest tide for a good 6 months). It might be useful keeping an eye on the sky as well as anything unusual may just give a few hours or minutes warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMTSDzU1Z4

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 09:08 PM

As of 15:00, still no injuries reported, only minor damages. Several businesses have closed due to damage. Local train service, Metrolink is back up and running as are all freeways.

My two greyhounds barely woke up...so much for the PAWS. (Pets Advance Warning System)

John E

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 09:13 PM

You're right on the money about that.

I wonder what Bob Berklund has to say since he is one of the Geologists for Los Angeles County area, and checks the Lost/Missing Classifieds each day.

If you listen to Coast to Coast AM radio, he may be a guest during the 1st hour, tonight.
Posted by: PSM

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnE

My two greyhounds barely woke up...so much for the PAWS. (Pets Advance Warning System)

John E

Neither did my Akita, Kobe, who is named for the Kobe, Japan, quake in '95.

Just about 15 minutes before the Northridge quake, I woke up to go pee and stepped over our previous Akita twice. She was sawing logs. I don't know about other pets, but it seems that Akitas are useless as an early warning system. grin

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 09:40 PM

I'm going down to FOX and make some REAL news. We've seen BREAKING NEWS all afternoon and the same footage of 6-7 soft drinks on some convenience store floor.Preempt Judge Judy and all kinds of women act like it is a disaster.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 10:18 PM

That's it...
I'm not going to well-wish any of you until I hear of like a 10.OhNo on the Richter.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/29/08 10:19 PM

*howls with laughter*

And what is our newest four legged member's screen name? How far had he gotten on dragging the litter box over? *grins*
Posted by: comlpro

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 12:00 AM

We felt quite a good jolt in my office in Yorba Linda. Went home when I had the opportunity. Aside from lamps, photos, etc knocked over I lost a plastic bottle of polish and two MGDs in the garage. All in all not too bad. I do miss those two beers though.

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 01:19 AM

Piewacket is a silent ETS veteran. This is the cat, who still only some 10 months old violently attacked my leg as I tried leaving. It was during a violent winter rainstorm. A massive California live oak branch of some 4' diameter came crashing down. It took out the stairwell, a few cars and my nieghbor's wall.I would have been descending that stairwell.Now he wakes me up at 5A.M. biting my ear until I get up and feed him.

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 01:36 AM

Piewacket is my kind of Feline Critter!!!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 01:45 AM

Check out what they say is the TNT equivalent and likely physical effect of 10.0 and 12.0 quakes here:

http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 02:04 AM

Hint:

www.piewacketknows.com

;-)

Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Earthquake in SoCal - 07/30/08 05:44 AM

santa monica here had partial black out, my apt was without power when I came home. was hoping USC would be too so they would cancel class today (work was really bad last couple weeks and didn't feel like going to class today) but the school had no power interruptions so off to school I went.

7 hours later I came back and the power was already restored.