Tactical Flashlight Recommedation

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 02:03 AM

Hi ETS Forum Members,

Over the past 8 years I have carried a Streamlight Stinger XT rechargeable flashlight on the job. It has been a great light with 125 Lumens of output and a recharging port in both my truck and at home. The negatives are that it only has a 1 hour max. runtime, a single light output level and 30 hour xenon gas-filled bulb life. I had to replace the battery stick after about 5 years and now have to replace it again, which costs about $40.00 delivered through mail-order.

Being a toy junkie by nature, I got thinking that maybe I should replace the Stinger XT with a new high-tech LED tactical light instead of just ordering a new battery?

The specifications would have to be:

- Tough construction
- Tailcap switch with constant and momentary on
- 100 Lumens output minimum (more would be better)
- Under 8" in length, 1.5" in head Dia. and 11 oz in weight
- 2 - CR123 or rechargeable battery
- 1 hour runtime minimum (more would be better)
- Variable light output with increased runtime
- Adjustable beam size
- Black in colour
- Under $100.00

I am leaning toward the Fenex TK10, TK11 or P3D Q5 all which can be seen at this website http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk10.html, does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these lights?

Or maybe the new Streamlight Stinger DS (Dual Switch) LED at 140 Lumens, a little heavy and large but I could use my current chargers. Seen here http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=135

So my question to ETS members is, if you could buy yourself a new tactical light that will see a lot of use in the field, what would you buy?

Thanks

Mike

Posted by: Fitzoid

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 03:27 AM

I've never been quite sure what a "tactical flashlight" is -- I do know what a weapon-mountable one is -- just as I've never been sure what a "tactical knife" is. To me, a "tactical flashlight" is a 6D cell Maglite and I doubt most people carry them for their paltry output...

But that aside, after getting a Fenix L2D Premium, I've never looked back and my CR123A Surefires are in my glove box, where the batteries will stay good for a decade.

I have way too many flashlights and nothing is as bright as the Fenix. Yeah, the Surefires look cooler, but for brightness and battery life, I love the L2Ds, which run perfectly on 2 AA NiMHs. It will light up a large parking lot at 185 lumens (for 2.4 hours) and you can also run it at 12/53/107 lumens. I EDC one, along with a Proton.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 03:55 AM

Thanks for the reply and input Fitzoid.

To me a "Tactical Flashlight" is one that you can count on performing in a serious, life-threatening situation. That is the only reason I could justify spending big money on a flashlight when there are many other, less expensive models that would do just fine for casual use.

My problem with Fenix lights is that I have never seen, handled or met a person that owns one. I am hoping that the folks at ETS to steer me toward or way from them.

Mike
Posted by: Arney

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 04:16 AM

The folks over on Candlepower Forums, including the LEO guys, pretty much all sing the praises of the TK10/11. The P3D is great, too, but it's different kind of light and not really a "tactical" light. People went crazy doing all kinds of torture tests with the TK10 on CPF and it took a lickin' and just kept on tickin'.

Just to throw out another option--Wolf-Eyes. The 2-cell Sniper model is built like a tank and I really like my Wolf-Eyes. I have the Sniper and the 3-cell Raider models, and have used them as incandescent and LED lights by swapping out the lamp assemblies. These work equally well with CR123 batteries, or rechargeable lithium-ion cells.
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 12:38 PM

Well, let's figure out first what you want the light for... "tactical" doesn't really say much. I got a Surefire 6P back when they first came out - I was working law enforcement/corrections and needed that kind of light. I've still got it and it puts out 120 lumins or what ever the word is and is blinding bright. That said it has a really short run time. Good for clearing a building, using for 'as needed' shots of light. If you need something else, this won't work.

I think you need to better define what you plan as the primary use for you light and what your expectations are.

Paul -
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 01:10 PM

Yup. "Tactical," and "life threatening" can mean all kinds of things, some short termed, others lasting almost forever (or so it might seem). I also got a 6P when I was still patrolling, and love it to this day. I am sure that there are new and better lights out there, but I don't have the need to spend more money on lights since I still have that 6P's, plus a G2. If I were still working, I would probalby go with a Surefire Z2 CombatLight, just for use with a handgun...

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 01:10 PM

A couple of random thoughts:

1) Some people like to talk about flashlights surviving multistory drops onto concrete. However, 123A batteries will not be happy with this. (In fact, I'd replace them if a light fell any great distance. They have been known to explode.)

2) I've never had a problem with a fenix or a surefire. I don't know if I believe the fenixes are anodized as claimed, as the paint comes off where they get dinged. The surefires just get dings.

3) Here's a crazy one: I think flashlights should be yellow and have phosphorescent paint. Ever try to find a black flashlight that you dropped in the dark? Mine all have loop lanyards for that reason.

4) My main concern with a good quality light is its output. 185 lumens is amazing outdoors in the dark and can also temporarily blind someone. (Indoors, you probably don't need that much light.)

5) After reading lots of discussion about Xenon bulbs are better/are not better than LEDs in smoke, I've come to the conclusion they are at least certainly better in fog. I usually take a Surefire E2E camping, but the battery life is so bad so that I rarely use it. But I always carry the Fenix.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 01:13 PM

"...take a Surefire E2E camping, but the battery life is so bad..."

While it can for sure be a pain in the butt, now that C123's cost a buck or so apiece, instead of $5 or more, I don't worry about that quite as much, I just carry lotsa spares with me...

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 02:04 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the input and please continue the suggestions.

I counted them up and usually I have 5 lights on me when I am working.

- The Streamlight Stinger XT (Xenon bulb) on my belt (needs rechargable battery replacement)
- A Streamlight Scorpion (Xenon bulb) in my right chest pocket (with lanyard)
- A QuiqLite XP 440 ID (UV + White LEDs) on my left shoulder (for note-taking and ID checks)
- A small coin-cell LED light on my keychain (just plain handy)
- A second coin-cell LED light in my mini-survival kit on belt (not readly accessable)

The Stinger XT is the light that I use the most for general patrol work and therefore would proabally be the one used in conjuction with a weapon. The Scorpion is kept in reserve, but is often used on a lanyard during night patrol on snowmobiles or ATV's, as it is difficult to access a light on your belt when you have heavy clothes and mitts on.

Streamlight has also updated the Scorpion LED to C4 LEDs and now it produces 120 Lumens. The rubber armour on the Scorpion is nice because it is warmer in the winter and when you hold it in your mouth it is not hard on your teeth!

Mike

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 02:23 PM

Another possibility came to mind--the 2008 Inova T-series lights get good reviews from users, including LEO. Inova makes good, tough lights. The new T-series (the 2008 ones) is noted for having a "warm" beam for an LED that many people really like. In particular, the T4 would fit most of your specs except the adjustable beam part. The T4 and T5 are similar except the T4 uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and comes with a cradle (home or auto use). It's a bit above your $100 mark, depending on where you buy, but you wouldn't have to pay for batteries.

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 03:37 PM

Hi Swampdonkey,

I have the Fenix T1 and it is an impressive Flashlight and has an excellent smooth powerful beam. Only Flashlights equipped with the SSC P7 LED will better it. It is also one tough flashlight.

The T1 is available at a lower cost than the TK10 at around $68

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=386

Your decision between a T1, TK10 and the TK11 will probably be determined by the cell choice. The TK11 will take a 18650 cell which will give slightly better runtimes than the TK10 using 2 CR123As. The TK11 probably fits all your requirements. The TK11 will also take CR123s as well.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=497

I have also just recently got a monster flashlight for home and possibly vehicle use, the Aurora AK-P7-3 SSC P7-C 5-Mode LED Flashlight. It's just slightly smaller and lighter than a Maglite 2C. It gives a huge bright smooth beam with a Lumen rating around 600-800. grin

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14212

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 04:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Am_Fear_Liath_mor,

I was not aware of the Fenix T1 as my local suppler does not stock it?

It is proabaly going to be a decision between the Fenix TK10 or TK11; is the only real difference between these 2 lights the availability of the rechargable battery in the TK11?

The reason I ask is because I will be using CR123A batteries anyway because we buy them in bulk at work.

Mike

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
...is the only real difference between these 2 lights the availability of the rechargable battery in the TK11?

I think that's the only difference, as far as I can tell from the specs. The TK11 can use both CR123's or a lithium ion rechargeable. But, if you can get CR123's from work, the TK10 is an excellent choice.

Rechargeable lithium ion-powered lights, obviously, have the advantage of being...well...rechargeable, but they also have the nasty habit of suddenly shutting off when the battery voltage gets too low and the cell's protection circuit switches off to prevent battery damage. That would be one difference between using your old NiCd-powered lights and today's lithium ion-powered rechargeable lights. At least with CR123's, the light will dim first so you have some warning while still having usable light for a fairly significant length of time.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 06:11 PM

I'm not in the law enforcement biz, but I am a flashlight nut, so here are a few personal comments:

My experience with Fenix lights (AA versions) has been mixed. They are VERY bright and very efficient in battery usage. But out of the four I own, one suffered substantial problems. It didn't fail entirely (high mode still works) but it lost low mode and nobody can give me an answer as to why. That has punctured my confidence. I still use them, but I make a point of having a backup light.

In contrast, the five Streamlight LED lights I have are heavy, old tech, bombproof, and utterly reliable. They inspire absolute confidence for me; I have yet to find a reason to doubt their reliability. (I have a wholesale source and need to try out the C4s, which are likely select versions of Cree or Phillips LEDs.)

Anyway, FWIW, If my bacon was on the line I'd carry a Streamlight.

Posted by: HerbG

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/29/08 10:59 PM

Let me suggest you take a look at the Wolf Eyes flashlight line from Pacific Tactical at: www.pts-flashlights.com/

I have two of their lights and have been completely satisfied. You will find several models of LED rechargeable lights that meet all of the requirements you listed and at a reasonable price. Their Sniper series has several models that you might check out.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 12:05 AM

Arney and Herb,

Wolf Eyes seem like quality lights but I cannot find a Canadian retailer, that is a problem with this purchase.

Mike

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 12:41 AM

Hey, what do you think of the Aurora? That looks interesting.

Also, how is the regulation? Does it step down quickly? (Unfortunately, there's nothing about it on flashlightreviews.com.)

And why am I suspicious of a 900-lumen light for $60? smile

Edit: I just read some reviews. Sounds like it's mostly spill with little throw, i.e., a wide beam that doesn't travel as far as one might hope. Build quality also seems to be a bit lacking. Anyway, not a bad deal, but I wish the beam extended a little further...

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 01:58 AM

Wolf Eyes seem like quality lights but I cannot find a Canadian retailer, that is a problem with this purchase.

Pacific Tactical Solutions is the sole US Wolf Eyes distributor and by default, I guess they're also for Canada. They do ship to Canada from what I have heard. I have bought from PTS in the past with no problems.

You should at least peruse their website, which focuses on tactical lights. There are other brands that maybe you have never heard about before, like Olight and Tiablo, which are well known to the flashlight crowd but unknown outside that circle.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
A couple of random thoughts:

2) I've never had a problem with a fenix or a surefire. I don't know if I believe the fenixes are anodized as claimed, as the paint comes off where they get dinged. The surefires just get dings.

Just to be the exception to the rule, I had a Fenix conk out on me, apparently bad electronics or a lost connection to the LED somehow. Which isn't a ding on Fenix, they're my main flashlight, I love their LED AAs for light and reliability.

If you sincerely want mission critical, carry two, or three. I'd never put me or my 'mission' in the hands of a single bit of electronics.

Ditto on losing flashlights in the dark - I have a glow in the dark tail ring on one that countycomm once sold for Fenix flashlights, on the other I just ran some yellow electrical tape around the middle, it helps to make it more visible in the dark or in my carry bag.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 12:12 PM

The manufacturers specification for the Aurora is listed as follows on the Deal Extreme Website;

Quote:
- Mode: Aurora AK-P7-3
- Features a Seoul Semiconductors SSC P7 (C-bin) high powered LED emitter
- Accepted input voltage: 7.4V ~ 17V
- Powered by 2 x 18650 (8.4V), or 4 x CR123A (16.8V) lithium batteries
- 900 lumens brightness (manufacturer rated)
- 5-mode tailcap switch: Hi > Mid > Lo > Strobe > SOS
- 2.5~3 hours total runtime (manufacturer rated)
- Regulated driver circuitry
- Manufacturer's rated current output measured at LED (tested using 2 x 18650):
High: 2960mA
Medium: 400mA
Low: 80mA
Strobe/SOS: 2960mA

The emitter is definitely an SSC P7, although whether it is a C-bin or not is difficult to determine.

I have only used 18650 cells so far so the input voltage hot of the charger has only been 8.2 volts. I don't think I would use RCR123s as this would probaly be near the limit for the input voltage. Ordinary CR123As would be probably be OK but the cells would most likely rattle around inside. The 18650 cells are already somewhat loose inside the battery compartment of the Aurora flashlight. With some 18650 flashlights the fit can be somewhat tight depending on the the make of the 18650 cell.
The rated current passing through the P7 has been rated at 2.96 A. This is difficult to determine but the current drawn from the cells was measured by myself at a maximum of 1.45A at 8.2 volts, so I guess after stepping down to the LED voltage the 2.96A claim is not over exaggerated. If the emitter is a C-bin then the power dissapated would be around 3.6V*2.9A = 10.5 W which, at around 60-80 lumen/watt, would give around 600-800 Lumen.

The 5 mode switching order is correct. There does seem to be an issue with the Aurora remembering the last mode. The Aurora needs to be turned of for quite a period of time for it to remember the last mode otherwise it will proceed on to the next mode.

The runtime using 2 18650 cells at 2200 mA would be probably be around 1.5 to 2.0 hrs on High mode. About 10-11 hrs on Medium mode and more than 50hrs on Low mode.

The beam is very wide with lots of spill. The centre hot spot would be about as intense as a Fenix T1 on turbo mode but slightly wider and less well defined as it diffuses into the spill region. The overall spill of the Aurora has about 1/3 larger diameter compared to the Fenix T1 at a slightly lower intensity. The Aurora isn't a thrower but the beam is very satifactory and a good colour being a slightly yellowish white i.e. similar to the Lumileds Rebel output. I would say that the range of the Aurora would be comparable to the Fenix T1 (claimed 200 metres) but illuminates a wider scene especially nearby. The wider spill will be due to the design of the SSC P7 emitter and design of the optics and will mostly likely effect all flashlights that use this emitter especially if the optics of the flashlight are not to become extremely oversized.

Overall construction is reasonably good. All the sub parts use rubber seals and the surface finish anodising is smooth and uniform. The tailcap threads appear to be precise and smooth. It should be reasonably waterproof although there is no IPX rating. Anodising is probably Type II rather than Type III. The reflector is an solid aluminium orange peel reflector and the lens is glass. It even has some nice touches such as a flat headed rivet over the tail and head contact springs to ensure a good electrical contact with the cells. The Aurora Weighs 378 grams with 2 18650 lithium Cells and is 23.5 cm tall.

The Aurora would make quiet a nice general purpose flashlight for the home and for vehicle use. Overall I am quite pleased with the performance of the Aurora. The only downsides so far is the slight rattle of the 18650 cells inside the flashlight when shaken and no point to attach a lanyard.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 03:51 PM

Wow, thanks for the great writeup! I feel like I'm on candlepowerforums! grin

Sounds like they overdrive the LED, and I assume this baby gets hot. I had also read the reflector was plastic, so it's good to hear yours is aluminum. (Less likely to melt...)

Have you opened the head? I saw reports it was glued closed, reminding of the good old Nuwai QIII days of soaking the head in boiling water.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 04:35 PM

I have found these photos which shows how the Aurora is constructed.

By unscrewing the bezel and glass, then by simply removing the refector, you can then unscrew the SCC P7 lamp assembly from the main body.

The P7 lamp assembly will contain the driver electronics (this was not easily accessible because it would have required some desoldering).

The heat generated by the P7 will essentially pass through the emitter assembly to the flashlight main body via the lower half of the assembly upto about 1/3 up the thread. I decided to help matters by covering the lower third of the thread using some Arctic Silver 3 heatseak compound then reassemble the flashlight.

The Aurora does get warm during long periods on the highest setting but is not hot enough not to allow you to hold the flashlight at the head where the heat is being generated. I would say the maximum temperature would be below 50C. i.e. warm to the touch but not really hot.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 04:49 PM

Ok, thanks for the info and pictures!

My apologies on your other thread about traffic lights. You're obviously a hands-on hacker type, and I really misunderstood your intent. Adding some Arctic Silver (or the equivalent) is a great idea for many of these light canons.

It seems there are a whole variety of different models of this light at dealextreme. I didn't spend the time to see what the differences are, but this could certainly be a handy "I dropped my wedding ring in the grass at night" light. (Yes, that happened to me once and it wasn't pretty. smile )

But I definitely would prefer a better balance between throw and spread, favoring throw with a bright hotspot. This kind of light creates huge amounts of glare outdoors and can be somewhat useless in bad weather.

Posted by: JIM

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 04:59 PM

I've got a Fenix T-1, but unfortunately it isn't black... I've heard of a limited production batch of black ones though.. don't know if they are still available.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 05:04 PM

Fenix T1 (turbo) on the left and the Aurora Aurora AK-P7-3 (high) on the right.

Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 07/30/08 05:19 PM

Surefire has a couple of new models out. The E2d LED model is nice and bright at 120 lumens on high and five lumens low. It has a simple clicky switch that always comes on in the high mode first. Plus, it is much more efficient than earlier models.
Posted by: raptor

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/01/08 05:05 PM

I have read that the flashlight can be regarded as "tactical" when it possesses the output that can temporarily blind an agresor whose vision is adapted to the dark. Flashlights outputting 80 lumens (sometimes determined borderline) and more can do this and therefore can be regarded as "tactical".

I have experience with the Fenix L1T V2.0. Itīs very good light. My only critique is that it has no clip and its surface is too smooth so the flashlight has tendency to slip. But as for the TK10/TK11 this is not the case (judging from pictures).

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/06/08 11:28 PM

Friends,

After considering all of your suggestions and lots of reading on the internet, I decided to go with the Fenix TK10 as my new tactical flashlight.

Since I was placing an order anyways and the Canadian retailer also sells Maxpedition equipment, I order the Jumbo S-type Versapack that I have been lusting over for about a year.

I ordered them from Fenix Tactical in Ontario and so far the transaction has been terrific. This Canadian supplier can be found here http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk10.html .

Now I have to search some old ETS Forum posts to figure out what I am going to put in my new bag!

Mike
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/06/08 11:46 PM

I see you got the Fenix T10. Good choice. You mentioned your job. What kind of job, may I ask, do you use your light on?

The reason I ask is because there is another Fenix light and accessory I wanted to bring to your attention. I own the LOD and the L1D (I think that's the designation, i.e., the 1xAAA and the 1xAA Fenix cree models. I also bought a spare 2xAA body and hoster that works with the 1xAA head. I'm a firefighter/paramedic, so I need a good traffic warning light. Fenix makes a small red cone that fits over the AA head. Together, the 1xAA light and the cone fit nicely into the 2xAA belt holster. In the strobe mode, this is, far and away, the most effective traffic warning light I have ever owned. I also have the white cone, which converts the AA into a very nice reading or area light when backpacking.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Jeff

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/07/08 01:44 AM

Thanks Jeff, that is a good idea. I will check-out this Fenix purchase and if all works out I am sure there will be more in the future (being the gear-junkie I am).

Mike

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/16/08 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

My experience with Fenix lights (AA versions) has been mixed. They are VERY bright and very efficient in battery usage. But out of the four I own, one suffered substantial problems. It didn't fail entirely (high mode still works) but it lost low mode and nobody can give me an answer as to why. That has punctured my confidence. I still use them, but I make a point of having a backup light.

Hey dougwalkabout, my sisterīs Fenix L1T V2.0 was from one point gradually loosing the low mode for several days. Today the low mode stopped working - I could only use the high mode. I was worried that this was the same case you had described. Then I tried to replace the battery (Alkaline) in it with fully charged NiMH and the low mode started to work flawlessly. I donīt know if itīs normal but I am glad that it was just because of the battery running out of juice. I will try to find out if itīs normal or not.
Possibly unnecessary question but - have you tried to replace the battery with a new fully charged one (and maybe with other type of the battery - Alkaline vs. NiMH etc.) and test the low mode? Maybe the Fenix is sensitive to the amount of the remaining power and for some strange reason turns off the low mode at some point. Anyway I am not flashlight specialist so maybe others can comment on this.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/17/08 01:54 AM

Should checkout Candle Power Forums the Tk10 has some issues as does the newer TK11 IIRC.
Posted by: SolidVFR

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/17/08 11:26 PM

I've got the TK10. It will take anything you throw at it and laughh in your face. It is a good light, but if I wouldn't buy it again. Buy USA (Surefire).

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/28/08 01:40 PM

Last week I received the new flashlight I had selected. I had ordered a Fenix TK10 but a TK11 arrived, I am not going to knock the free upgrade (TK10 and TK11 appear the same except for the rechargeable battery option).

The light appears very tough and well designed, it came with a nice belt pouch but I choose to carry it lens down in an old OC spray pouch, I find I can access it faster.

The package was missing the accessory kit (lanyard, spare switch/o-rings, body ring) so I contacted the Canadian retailer and received an instant reply; accessory kit in the mail that day with an apology and free 10-pack of batteries. The service from this retailer has been terrific ( http://www.fenixtactical.com/ ).

I used the flashlight last week at work in the forest and found it great, but I did not realize how bright the light was until I attended night training with 15 co-workers. Everyone had their favorite belt light, (Surefire, Stinger, Nightfighter, lots of Scorpions) but the Fenix blew them away; it was obviously brighter, had a "cleaner" type of beam and projected the beam much further.

I found only 2 negatives; not being rubber-coated I would not advise holding the light in your teeth (you could wrap some Gorrila tape around it) and when on Turbo (225 Lumens) if in error you "flash" the barricade in front of you (instead of the target) it really hurts your night vision.

I have little to say about the durability of the light as I have only had it about 10 days. I dropped it in the dirt a couple of times and once hard onto concrete; no damage or change in performance.

I am pleased with the choice I made, "Thank You" all for your advise on this purchase.

Mike
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/29/08 09:42 PM

NovaTac 120P
Posted by: Kris

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/29/08 10:40 PM

Question... does surefire offer any torches that operate on double or triple A's? I didn't look on their site yet but just posting the question as a general inquiry to the experts that use this stuff often. If not, are there any mods out there to convert them to the common battery sizes?
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 08/30/08 12:05 AM

Not right now and the SF lights tend not to to lend themselves to adaption to AA -- The lithium cell is 3V, so you'd need twice as many AA batteries. Less efficient in size and the non-regulated lights really need lithium cells to have reasonable performance anyways.

The Fenix lights have some decent AA options. Look at the upcoming TK20 for example.

Also the http://ralights.com/ (made by HDS Systems) lights are supposed to have an upcoming AA battery pack options. These lights are state of the art, bright and bulletproof.

If cost is your primary concern, also consider lithium ion powered rechargeable lights. My understanding is Ralights is also coming out with a 18650 (lithium ion rechargeable) battery pack and Fenix offers the TK11 which takes either a single 18650 or 2x123a.

Right now I use an HDS EDC U85 powered by an 18650 battery pack with a 2x123a battery pack as a spare. I'm sold. Rechargeable lithium ion with backup lithium primaries are the way to go IMO. Lots of power, reliable, very bright, cheap to run.

-john
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/03/08 02:43 AM

Currently they do not, however the new Surefire headlamp will give you the option of using either CR123 or AA batteries.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/03/08 07:33 PM

What are your impressions of NiteCore single AA flashlights in terms of reliability?
D10 caught my eye. Defender Infinity also looks good.
Fenix L1T v2.0 is good but there is one thing about this flashlight that I donīt like - the smooth surface. The falshlight slips from my hand (and I am talking about the situation when my hand is not wet). NiteCore flashlights possess rough surface for secure grip which I really like.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/03/08 10:32 PM

Sorry Raptor, I am not familiar with NiteCore lights, but I am sure others on the forum are?

Mike

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/03/08 11:30 PM

Itīs OK SwampDonkey smile. My question was intended for anyone. Anyway I hope you donīt mind that I have used your thread for it.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/04/08 05:57 PM

I must say those HDS flashlights look very interesting. Thanks for letting us know, JohnN.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/04/08 06:40 PM

Yah, the HDS/Ralights "Twisty" is probably one of the most rugged designs you can find. Makes sense since Henry is involved in the spelunking and SAR communities.

For example, check out the shock protection in front, behind and around the edges of the extra think window, protected by a stainless steel bezel. Potted electronics, shock protection for the battery...

Ra Twisty, exploded view

And Henry's electronics and designs have been honed over the years starting with the Action Light, then he did the design for the Arc 4, then released the HDS EDC series which evolved into the NovaTac lights, and now the Ra Twisty and upcoming Ra Clicky.

As it stands, my HDS EDC Ultimate 85 goes with me everywhere.

-john
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/05/08 02:44 AM

Hi ETS Forum Members,
I am leaning toward the Fenex TK10, TK11 or P3D Q5 all which can be seen at this website http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk10.html, does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these lights?

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier before you bought yours. I have the Fenix P3D Q5 Cree (now that's a mouthful!) which outputs 205 lumens, purchased off Ebay from a company in Ontario. I've never had a problem with it, I got it last fall. It easily puts my 2D cell Maglite to shame at a tenth of the weight!!! I had a Dorcy 1-watt that gave me nothing but grief and the vendor wouldn't honour the warranty so I "recycled" it and lesson learned. I've also got a cheap Chinese made 1-watt 3-AAA flashlight that I bought off Ebay for 11 cents. It has an inferior anodized finish compared to the Fenix but it works quite well. The Fenix has about 4x the light output so I use that as my go-to flashlight.

So far I've used Surefire/Energizer/Duracell 123A batteries in it and I just ordered a large bundle of Maxell Gold's at the wholesale price of $1/battery.

I don't know why anyone would want a black flashlight - I would rather have one that is easy to find in the dark so I put a strip of luminescent tape on the flashlight. And I use the lanyard most of the time. And I haven't the foggiest idea what a tactical flashlight is.
Posted by: Buffalohump

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/08/08 08:43 AM

I too own far more flashlights that I can actually use smile

Brands I favour include: HDS/Novatac, Surefire, Fenix, Peak LED Solutions and Inova.

Of those, I would offer the following opinions:

HDS: I have the earlier version of these lights, the HDS42XR. If I could choose only one light it would be this one. These lights are no longer available but the founder of the company has reformed and is now operating under the Ra name, they currently have a Twisty and Clicky model available, in various permutations.

Surefire: I have the L2. This is a piece of functional art, so well made it is worth owning for that reason alone. The L2 offers high and low, with a floody beam that is very useful for lighting up a room. However, the beam quality - while perfectly functional - is somewhat greenish by comparison to the Novatac and Inova X03, particularly on low. It is a tactical light in that it offers a momentary on function (button), as well as permanent on (twisty).

Novatac: I have a 85P. While it is a fabulous light in many ways, I don't think it is up to HDS standards. Mine has displayed some tendencies to flicker every so often on lower settings. While it does not affect the functionality of the light in any way, it is somewhat disappointing in a $100 flashlight.

Both the HDS and Novatac can run on rechargeables and I have enthusiastically adopted this approach. Even though CR123a's cost 'only' a dollar apiece, once you use rechargeables, its hard to do it any other way.

Fenix: I have the L2D Rebel and E1. The L2D is a superb light marred only by the fact that the 'low' setting is still quite bright. However, you can get a red filter for this light that will mute the low even further. The E1 unfortunately has a horrible ringy beam but it is a very small and compact light that lasts forever on one AAA cell. If you're not fussy about beams, this is a very useful little light.

Peak LED Solutions: I have the brass Caribbean (1X CR123)and HAIII Matterhorn (1X AAA). This is a 'sleeper' company that make rock solid pocket and tac lights with beautiful beams. The Caribbean is an absolute pocket rocket if you are looking for a small light that can blast out a real blazing amount of light. You can also add a beautifully made momentary switch to certain models (my Carib has one). The Matterhorn has 3 LEDs in it and it is also a pocket rocket that lasts forever on one AAA (Energiser lithium in mine). Peaks are truly custom lights that are available in different materials, incl. brass, stainless steel and HAIII aluminium. The brass is wonderful to look at and use but it is heavy. The Matterhorn at $35 is a real sleeper bargain.

Inova. I have the X5 and X03. These are both superb lights for the price. Built extremely well, each offer exceptional runtimes (particularly the X5) and compact form factor. Everyone should own an X5 for its fantastic runtime and handy size, not to mention great price. The X03 has a flared head so is not quite as compact as the X5 but offers a fantastic beam that has both reach and a nice wide spill. It also has a beautiful white tint. These lights can be considered tactical in that they have a momentary on button as well as a twisty permanent on.

Hope this is useful. Sorry to waffle on a bit...

L-R: Caribbean, HDS42XR, Inova X5, SF L2, Fenix L2D, Inova X03.

Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation - 09/08/08 02:07 PM

Some more:

L-R: Surefire (SF) M2, Streamlight Scorpion, HDS EDC Ultimate 85 w/18650 battery pack, SF L1, SF E2e, CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra, 1x123a battery pack for HDS.