100 Pushups

Posted by: Blast

100 Pushups - 07/28/08 02:25 AM

100 Pushups Training Program

Can any of you more excersizey members comment on this program? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

-Blast
Posted by: wildman800

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 02:38 AM

Blast, Blast, Blast,,,

Good idea, but if you try to start from scratch, you will most likely fail.

Try starting at 25 per day for a week or 2, then go to 50 for a couple of weeks, 75 for a couple of weeks, then go for the 100.

Building up keeps you from "biting off more than you can chew" at the beginning, plus helps you build the habit needed to carry on and incorporate such a habit into your everyday lifestyle.

I am NOT an exercise advocate because the idea has always met with interference, in my own personal (limited) experience.

Fact: you have to do something 2000 times before it becomes a reflex. I don't have a clue in regards to making a habit.

Take these thoughts for what it may (or may not) be worth!!!!
Posted by: Arney

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 02:57 AM

I looked at the program and it looks sound. You do the initial test to find out an appropriate place for you to start, and then progressively add more reps. You have rest days and you're NOT encouraged to "go for the burn" in which case you're likely tearing muscle fibers and are going to be rather sore. The soreness from a "no pain, no gain" attitude early on is going to throw you off schedule and likely lead to drop out. I think if you push yourself but not too hard at first (as they suggest in the program), to give your muscles and tendons a chance to adapt to the new stress of doing push up's, you can start pushing harder later once your body is more accustomed to the exercise. Don't be discouraged if you take longer than the 6 weeks in this program.

Good luck!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 03:21 AM

Looks interesting...might try it out myself.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 03:37 AM

ooooh 100 pushups is fun!!!
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 04:07 AM

I don't see anything wrong with the program, and pushups are fine, but are not a complete workout. I'm sure it would be fun to have a goal of being able to do 100 pushups, and the plan seems to be easy to follow and motivating.

If I were going to do a plan like this, I'd do burpees, instead. Burpees use a lot more muscle groups, and are going to help the cardiovascular system more than just pushups. It takes A LOT longer to get to 100, though...

Edit to add a video that shows how to do burpees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M

Posted by: Todd W

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 04:32 AM

one hundred consecutive push ups in a 6 week program... hmm. This must be a good program or may be a program to build stamina and not really muscle mass.

I did a SERIOUS push-up routine for ~ 6 months. I did as many as I could do rested, did it again, rested, did it again until the max was 1 then I stopped. I did this 2-3x a day.(Almost every day) My goal was to build muscles, it worked. I got large shoulders, upper back triceps, and a noticeable neck.

Doing push-ups practicaly became an addiction! I did them waiting for breakfast to be finished, waiting for someone to call, when I had down time at home I did them.

I was NEVER able to do more than 75 at once. After ~ month I could do TONS of push-ups but not 100 at once, probably due to my method and variance of the muscles.

I did closed fist / knuckle down, arrow (hands touching) and standard.

Push-Ups are fun, easy to do, and can build muscle. Is there a paint to doing 100 at once? Not that I can see.

Start, make your own routine and something you can enjoy. For me it was seeing how many I could do at once and then repeating until I was dead. This really broke down my muscles and rebuilt them. Be sure to break and not do it EVERY day.

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Arney
You have rest days and you're NOT encouraged to "go for the burn" in which case you're likely tearing muscle fibers and are going to be rather sore. The soreness from a "no pain, no gain" attitude early on is going to throw you off schedule and likely lead to drop out.
Good luck!

Just my opinion:

Tearing muscle fibers and the subsequent healing process is how muscles get bigger, and thus stronger.

Exercising without building muscle mass is nothing more than a cardiovascular workout (increases efficiency of oxygen and nutrient transport, and eliminates wastes built up in fat cells, and also increases weight loss) and only increases endurance, which is by the way, very healthy.

Both kinds of workout burn calories, so if weight loss and endurance is all you are after, I would suggest a full body cardiovascular workout such as swimming (esp. hard-core body surfing), bicycling, and even trail running and hiking without a pack.

Having more endurance is not the same thing as having more strength, although it might seem to be because more pushups can be done. If you don't believe me, lay on your back and lift the heaviest weight you can once and write that down. Now do your 6 weeks of pushups without tearing muscles. You can do many more pushups at the end of six weeks because your body has become a more efficient and cohesive system. Now get on your back again, and I assure you that the amount of weight you can lift will not be significantly increased since your maximum six weeks before.
Posted by: MRPrice

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 10:55 AM

It's a good program. It follows progressive training, can be done wherever and doesn't need an special equipment. I've been following it myself to get back to being more active.

Mark
Posted by: benjammin

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 11:59 AM

Push-ups are really part of a calisthenics program that is more predominantly focused more on endurance and flexibility. Push-ups are on the strength building side of the scale for this group of exercises. It is purported that a good routine of calisthenics combined with an aerobic process is one of the most time proven effective fitness programs known. Certainly most of Jack Lalane's exercise regimen consisted of calisthenics and isometric action.

I would consider doing push-ups in conjunction with other calisthenic exercises and other aerobic activity, such as jumping rope. One thing I might add to the routine is pull-ups, which although requiring some apparatus, I still consider within the same gendre.

As far as quantity go, I think Lalane's recommendation is to work it as a circuit until you break a good sweat for at least 20 minutes.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 12:00 PM

If you want to be able to do lots of pushups that's the way to go about it.

How many pullups can someone do if they can do 100 pushups?

I bet some muscle groups are missing their fair share of workout such as the complete set of abs and lower legs.

I got fired up a few years ago and got some SEAL workout tapes and books. Kicked my own ass in the gym several times a week and was sore for a year. Put on muscle mass, lost body fat, never been stronger. (Then some life events killed the flame for a long time so I relapsed.)

Be careful where you put your hands!

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 12:14 PM

So it sounds like this has potential. My main drive is to increase my upper body strength to help with kayaking, canoeing and lifting my girls. I already do 15 minutes of yoga and 40 minutes of cardio every other day. I figured this would help balance out those exersizes.

*sigh* I guess now that I stated it publicly I'll need to go through with it. shocked Want me to keep you posted on the results?

-Blast
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 12:57 PM

I think it's a great idea. You might inspire me to try it. I exercise, but I've never tried something like this.

But, it's not a complete program. First, your yoga and 40 minutes of cardio are a great practice that should not be given up.

If you do this, and why not, try to add some exercises to balance the work. Your kayaking and canoeing is going to help balance some of the work, because they should both be working your trapezius and rhomboid muscles. Many of the exercises that work these muscles are called rows, because that is the motion they use, pulling the resistance into your body by using the muscles in your upper back. If you added some pull-ups you'd have the makings of a darn good routine. If you cannot do more than one or two pullups, you could try to do some on angles and do some pulldowns, with some rubber bands if not weight.

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Tearing muscle fibers and the subsequent healing process is how muscles get bigger, and thus stronger.

I agree, your body isn't going to adapt unless you push it beyond its usual limits. But for someone just starting a routine like this, whose muscles and tendons aren't accustomed to push up's, pushing yourself enthusiastically hard in the very beginning is just going to cause a ton of soreness, possibly an injury, and a high chance of quitting the program at that point. As I also said, once you're accustomed to doing the push up's, you can start pushing yourself harder without risking as much soreness. At that point, going for the burn isn't going to make you so sore the next day that you're going to quit the program.

Your point about strength versus endurance is well taken, but again, for someone just starting on the program who isn't already doing any strength training, they will be building strength in the beginning. Only after they reach a certain number of reps does this program really turn primarily into a muscular endurance program. Of course, at that point, you can just start piling the cats onto your shoulders while you do the push up's (Don't laugh, I've seen some pretty heavy cats over the years! grin )
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 01:18 PM

I can just see Blast doing pushups with the demon cat on his back...

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 02:23 PM

Rest and diet are important parts of muscle building (one is addressed by this program but the latter doesn't seem to be focused on). Muscles get bigger and stronger as a result of healing the damage done by exercise. If you don't rest, the muscles never get a full chance to grow back to their strongest. Also, if your diet isn't suitable, the muscles won't build to their full potential.

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 02:58 PM

Yes, all very well said, it is important to familiarize yourself with a routine that includes rest, nutrition, and setting realistic limits, especially where ligaments and tendons are concerned, such as the lower legs. And remember to stretch adequately before any exercise in order to let the muscles know to be relaxed and therefore fully flexible. Otherwise they could rip a tendon or ligament. Also, proper form is how injuries are avoided as well. Another thing to be aware of is that too much repetition, especially in the beginning and more especially if done improperly, can lead to very painful and debilitating joint inflammation. Avoid excessive pressure on the joints. If any motion is painful, stop, find out why, take the time to heal, and do it right next time. The human body is complex and anyone interested in mastering it should learn all they can prior to and at their own realistic pace.
I'm mostly talk though.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 03:01 PM

Interesting program Blast, I applaud you for attempting it. Please keep us in the loop, it may encourage me to get off my lazy b*tt and start exercising again.

Brief Fitness Story. My teenage son was trying to achieve a higher level on an annual fitness program so he started a "regular" push-up/sit-up routine. This is what his young mind came up with; every time he used the washroom "cost" him so many push-ups or sit-ups. The reps increased each day and after 2 months he was able to do 50 to 60 push-ups or sit-ups consecutively.

It worked, that he year moved from Bronze level fitness to Gold in the annual testing.

Mike
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 07:51 PM

Burpees hurt! My trainer makes me do those. I would not want to mess with anyone who could do a hundred of those without stopping.

Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/28/08 09:06 PM

Good post Blast. Thanks!
Posted by: Fabio

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 12:13 AM

Hello Blast,

Thanks for the link! I seems a litle bit difficult do achive the 100 pull ups in 6 weeks, but I think it is completely achievable with some more weeks of training. I also like Canoeing an kayaking (and hiking and montain climbing as well, and I´m going to include this pull ups sequence in my training routine.

Do You know this guide?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8929/ebook-pdf-healthus-navy-seal-physical-fitness-guide

I think that this is quite useful when training for outdoor activities. I particulary liked the chapter 10 (load bearing)and chapter 11 (training for especific environments) on aclimation.

Fabio
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 12:16 AM

I like the workout, although I would mix up the push ups, standard, double shoulder width, hands in front, hands close in under the centre of your chest, push-ups with your fingers pointing
towards your toes and "divebomber" pushups like here

http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-1.shtml

I agree with the previous posts though, I am not sure push-ups will do much for your strength but they are great for endurance.

Posted by: Crowe

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 02:13 AM

Pushups are pretty good for upper body strength...in so far that you will have stronger triceps and chest muscles. Of all the exercises you can do, this requires the least equipment, and is a good start (and foundation) for upper body strength. Give them a whirl and if they work for you, try to work in other upper body exercises later. The nice thing about push ups is you can do them almost anywhere, anytime, without hardly any preparation.

It is true, "no pain, no gain". You have to tear the muscle to build it. The trick however is to tear it just enough. Your workouts should be intense enough that you feel some soreness after wards, but you should be fully recovered (no pain) after your rest period. So if you do your thing Monday, feel sore, rest and recover on Tuesday, and are ready to go again on Wednesday, you've hit the right pace. Exercising sore muscles is counterproductive, and potentially harmful (Better to stretch on a day you are sore than exercise). This is why it is better to start out really slow, and slowly work your way into a cycle where you are pushing yourself with allowances for recovery, rather than going for broke out of the gate and not being able to button your shirt for 4 days.

US Army minimum for an 18 year old male was 42 continuous push-ups in 2 minutes (IIRC circa 1990). Maximum score was 82 (And this was fairly easily attainable by the more athletic types). So 100 continuous is a fairly high but attainable goal, and certainly if you reach this level, I would strive to maintain it while branching out into more diverse exercises (pullups, rows, shoulder presses, etc).

Hope it works out for you, and I am looking forward to hearing your results.

Re,

C. Rowe

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 11:46 AM

Kyaking and canoeing require lat strength. If you are interested in building strength for those two activities, I stongly recommend pullups or rope climbing. You will be amazed how much you will gain from those exercises.

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 01:22 PM

Pushups are good. Along with other exercises. The military has been building bodies with calisthenics for years. But. I have never considered myself to be particularly strong, even tho I dug ditches and worked in oil derricks in my younger days. But I have always been able to do a lot of pushups. As a freshman in high school I set a school record (for my age), did 100 pushups with a 3/4 inch plywood cutout strapped to my chest, waist, thighs, and ankles (to make sure I kept my body straight), touching my chest to the floor for every one. Yet I couldn't lift all that much weight in my neighbors garage gym...
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: 100 Pushups - 07/29/08 02:59 PM

I'm far from an expert, having just gotten into weight training myself this year...

I think this plan is much better than not doing anything, but unless the pushups are done with weight or position so that you can only do no more than 6, you're working more on muscle mass building or endurance rather than strength.

Once you've done about 15 reps in one set, then you're building endurance and tone more than strength.

From the Weight Training for Dummies book, blush I've learned these general guidelines:

Endurance
12+ reps
30 sec max rest between sets
2-3 sets
increase reps progressively

Size
6-15 reps
30-90 sec rest
3-6 sets
lift weight to near failure at last rep
increase weight 10% once you can lift 15 reps to muscle failure

Strength
6 or less reps
2-5 min rest
2-6 sets
lift weight to near failure at last rep
increase weight 10% once you can lift 5-6 reps to muscle failure

Edit:
Pushups aren't going to help build the muscles for the activities you mention as well as more specific exercises done with free weights or a machine. I'd get a set of dumbell bars and plate weights so that you can adjust the weight as you progress. A machine would be convenient if you have the money and space for it.
Posted by: raptor

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/01/08 06:35 PM

As for the strenght training and conditioning this is my favorite source: http://www.rosstraining.com/

Lots of good info with focus on simple equipment and using your body as a weight. Very inspirational videos there. For example this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2M-kb-TIE&feature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdthWDUEKtY
Posted by: JohnnyRocket

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/01/08 07:15 PM

Wow - lots of opinions and advice on this topic!! How many can you do? Take the test and tell us how you did. I did 35.

I am 42 years old, 6', 205lbs.

Tom
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/01/08 08:37 PM

Its a great idea! I got to 100 sit-ups using a similar system

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/01/08 08:37 PM

Dam, that's a lot of pushups! Good job!

I'll be doing the test this evening after the girls are in bed. Y'all will have a good laugh waiting for you tomorrow. blush

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/02/08 02:24 AM

4blush

It's going to be an interesting six weeks.

-Blast
Posted by: MRPrice

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/02/08 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
4blush

It's going to be an interesting six weeks.

-Blast

Look on the bright side, at our level (I'm in the same boat) you will be increasing strength.

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/02/08 02:31 AM

"...Y'all will have a good laugh ..."

We would never laugh at you Blast. We will laugh with you...
Posted by: kevingg

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 12:36 AM

Great post, I've been doing pushups and pullups w/ no real rhyme or reason. Your post is timely for me, so I looked into it and it sounds great. I started the day of your post and have just completed my first week. I also looked on the web to see if I could find a program that is similar for pullups and found one that I've also just started. Check it out:

http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/Downloads/PT/thearmstrongworkout.pdf

I'll also join you again posting in 6 week or so w/ results.

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 01:29 AM

Kevingg,

Thanks for the link! I figured there had to be a similar thing for pullups. That would be my first choice as far as developing strength. The only problem there is being so tall, I need a chinup bar ten feet off the ground. I find the extra labor of keeping my knees bent while doing pullups works against me too much. frown

Good luck with this program! I always do better if I know I'm not suffering alone (or if there's someone doing better than me grin)

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 03:26 AM

"...a chinup bar ten feet off the ground..."

I used to use the rafters in my garage (it was not sheetrocked of course). Not ten feet, but eight might do the trick for you...

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 11:11 AM

I was able to grunt out 40 push-ups yesterday. I almost didn't make it. I used to do 50 at a time no problem. It sucks getting older.

I am 6'5", 265 lbs, and closer to 46 than 45 now. I guess that ain't too bad. I gotta give kudos to the elliptical machine for helping me keep it going.

Tonight I start back in on the Bowflex machine with the daughter. We'll see how many push-ups I can do at one time a month from now.

I doubt I can do even one pull-up now. I used to be able to knock off ten or so at a whack. Of course back then I could climb 30 feet of rope just using my arms too. I think those days are long gone.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
I need a chinup bar ten feet off the ground. I find the extra labor of keeping my knees bent while doing pullups works against me too much.

Blast, If you have a park near you with a kids swing set, you probably can use it for chin-ups or pull-ups. Some of them are a big too wide to grip, but your hands can usually hang on. You could also probably work out a way to hang something on the top bar to make something to grip.

The pull-ups hurt a lot more than the push-ups, but the push-ups works out are not easy either, when you get to the last sets.

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 12:40 PM

"...I think those days are long gone..."

I am sadly afraid that you are right...

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 01:00 PM

Quote:
Of course back then I could climb 30 feet of rope just using my arms too.

Does anyone else picture a younger Benjammin running around wearing a cape and beating the living snot out of evil-doers?

-Blast, who has the upper body strength of a t-rex (in otherwords, none at all)

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 04:38 PM

I am familiar with Benjammin's breed and only a fool tackles the man equivilent of a she male with cubs!

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/04/08 07:50 PM

Hey, I don't like being compared to a she anything shocked LOL

20 years ago I was less bulky (at least 50 lbs less) and climbed a lot of radio towers for a living. Now I set behind a desk 8 hours a day and try to get to the gym when I can.

In 2004 I went vertical after an elk (well, near vertical anyways, at least that's how it looked/felt) that we came up on. I tried to keep up, really I did, but after about 40 yards it left me behind. My problem was I couldn't see it's head to tell if I could shoot it, so I had to drive it, and that didn't work out so well. I went too far, and started sucking wind like I'd never sucked it before. I felt like I was underwater, and locked up pretty severely just as my buddies were catching up to me. "Man, you can really hustle" my buddy says to me. Of course I am heaving so hard I cannot even nod or otherwise acknowledge him, just gasp and try to stay on my feet. They leave me alone then, probably hoping I don't die right there on the spot. I got about a 150 yards or so up the hill before I gassed out. Still felt good to dog that elk up the hill, but I stood not a chance, and I could tell mortality is overtaking me. It turned out the elk was not one I could've shot anyways.

Oh yeah, that was 2" cotton rope hung from a tree at my friend's house. I used to climb it and tap the branch it was tied to. My buddies used to complain cuz they said I got a head start due to my height. I asked them if they would like to climb it with the extra 30 or more pounds I had on them, and I would be happy to start on my knees instead. That shut them up. Back in high school we had a similar rope hung on a tree that swung out over a ravine. I was one of the few who could tarzan swing on that thing all the way out and back using just my arms. One kid tried it and lost, and broke his neck in the fall. That was the end of the big swing.

At least I can still shoot. I am sure in time that too will diminish. Good thing I can cook.

100 Pushups - update - 08/16/08 01:14 AM

Just finished day two of week three. found level of difficulty increased dramatically this week. I struggled accomplishing the routine within the recommended rest periods, and couldn't meet the max 25+/- on the 5th set. I think I'll repeat week three next week. Otherwise, I think this is a great and fun program. I feel the increase in strenght alreadly and can see the physical development already occuring in my shoulders, triceps and chest. Lots of work to go before I hit 100, but so far I'm greatful you pointed this program out. Thanks Blast. I'll update again in a couple of weeks. How are you doing?

P.S. pullups program is also moving along steadily, but I'm no where near 20 consecutive yet.

Re: 100 Pushups - update - 08/16/08 01:26 AM

Good job, friend! I'm just finishing week two and definately seen improvements. However, I am having to do each day twice (with a day's rest in between) before making it through the whole day's workout as recommended. frown I guess I'm on the 12-week plan. The future reps scare me, but I'll keep plugging away. The improved strength will be worth it.

-Blast
Posted by: Xterior

Re: 100 Pushups - update - 08/16/08 11:13 AM

I've taking the initial test yesterday, so I'm starting off monday.

I'm convinced, that physical strength is also an important key factor in surviving when there realy is a problem.

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/16/08 12:02 PM

Blast, I like your idea of just repeating a "failed" day until you "pass" rather than struggle on through the week, then repeat the week. I'm gonna repeat week three next cycle, then take your approach.

Have you embarked on the Armstrong pullups program?

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/23/08 12:53 AM

Week #3 SUCKS.

-Blast
Posted by: epirider

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/24/08 01:48 PM

My .02 - I figure that any activity beyond your normal days routine (work and normal stuff) is a step in the right direction. I have HDADHD (High definition attention deficiet hypoactivity disorder - when I pay attention it is crystal clear but I dont do anything about it)and I have started a number of exercise routines. I take my BOB on a 5 mile walk or ride my bicycle for 1 1/2 - 2 hours and do the wife's Slim in 6 program (quit laughing - it works). I may do any 2 in a day or I may take 1 day off. Reguardless of what you do, start small and increase a little every day, BUT DO SOMETHING! I applaud you for taking the first step and wish you nothing but encouragement. Please keep up updated with your progress.
Posted by: SolidVFR

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/26/08 01:01 AM

I think I'm going to try this. Looks like a good program.

I personally like chin ups, but I don't have a bar. Any recommendations on what to do? I'm too tall to get one taht goes across that top of a door.

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/26/08 04:39 AM

After the first day, my muscles hurt 4 days after. So the weak took me a bit longer then expected. And.. I've got to repeat this week.

So I gues it's gone be a 12 weeks course. smile

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/26/08 12:40 PM

In a moment of weakness (no pun intended) I thought about giving this thing a try, maybe altering it a tad due to being older than dirt. Then the other day I managed to start a tear in my right rotator cuff. No pushups now, I am just gonna try to hold off surgery as long as I can. Damn, I don't want to do this again, it has the most painful post-op pain you can imagine...

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/26/08 04:30 PM

I have observed that post-op recovery. I'll say prayers for you, OBG!!!

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/28/08 11:11 PM

I second the motion that week 3 sucks. I'm in my second week of trying to successfully get through week 3 while I cruised before this week! First I tried to do week three day 1 in the recommended rest time of 60 seconds; no luck. Then I tried with 5 minutes and I was successful. Second I tried with three minute rests and I was successful. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt with two minute rests. If successful, 1 minute rests then say goodbye to week 3 finally (hopefully)!
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/29/08 12:32 AM

100 pushups in 6 weeks is 2.38 pushups per day. I can do this!

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/29/08 12:32 PM

Quote:
100 pushups in 6 weeks is 2.38 pushups per day. I can do this!

ROTFLMAO!!
grin grin grin

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 08/31/08 08:00 PM

Just finished week 1 and I'm ready to take on week 2. Pushups are much easier now, and are actually fun!

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/06/08 12:50 AM

I seem stuck in week 3! I can get by day 1 with double rest time, but I've repeaded the day at least 6 times!

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/06/08 03:35 AM

I'm stuck too, even when I switch to "girly pushups". blush

Still, I'll keep at it. I can already see a huge improvement, especially when carrying the canoe.

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/07/08 12:24 AM

i'm sticking with it too. I've changed to 5 straight days a week followed by two consecutive rest days. I'm sticking to two minutes rest between any sets, any day. I think the 5-straight days may push me to the next level. I'll post again when I finally get to week 4.

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 02:37 AM

well blast, I finally broke through week 3 and i'm cruising thru week 4. Looking forward to my test at th end of week 4

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 04:38 AM

Week 3 is hard indeed. I've got to do that week also more than once.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 04:56 AM

So how many can you all do at once now ?

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 06:37 PM

Initial test 9. The test after 2 weeks I managed to do 22. For now, I don't know as the next test is after week 4.

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 06:49 PM

Initial test 35. Didn't bother going any further. Not bad for a guy that's 6'5", 265 lbs, and over 45 years old, eh?

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 06:58 PM

Not bad at all. smile I think you should sail easy through the program.

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/24/08 07:35 PM

I am not such a big fan of such modes of exercise. Push ups hurt my lower back a bit, as do sit ups.

I prefer these days to use the elliptical machines. I like to dial up the reistance and that does pretty good for me. I also have a bowflex which gives me the back support I need for most upper body exercises. Working the abs is a challenge, I need to find a good incline bench.

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/25/08 11:36 AM

my initial test was 25; my two week test was 30. Soon I'll be up to the 4 week test. Since I'm now doing 30, 22, 22, 20, 25+ I'm hoping my next test is over 40.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/25/08 11:55 AM

My girlfriend (a med student in the USAF) did her own "100 pushup" workout for her fitness test.
1 pushup, rest briefly
2 pushups, rest (briefly = about 5-10 seconds)
etc. Once you do 10, you come back down. It equals 100 pushups, done over about 5 minutes.

I did it with her once. I usually do 30 on my own after I run, and maybe 1-2 times/daily. It burned...

That she could do it (all 5'3" and 120#) was embaressing. But, might be an option for others?

For those that think pushups are too repetitive on the same muscle groups, you can make them inclines or declines, by either having your hands or feet on a stair (or 2). Makes the weight shift, so other aspects of the muscle groups get worked out.

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/25/08 02:03 PM

Damn Ben, you are making me look bad. The hurricane throew everything off. I figure I'm going to start over from the beginning next week.

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/26/08 05:13 PM

For the week 3 test, I did 35. Now I'm struggling getting past day one of week 3. I think it is because I don't get enough sleep. It is still fun though.
Posted by: DannyL

Re: 100 Pushups - 09/27/08 06:16 PM

I couldn't do 100 pushups even if you held a gun to my head. But I can do 14 miles with a 68 lb pack.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/02/08 11:01 AM

My 4 week test was 43, which puts me in the 3rd column of week five. I've repeated week 5 day 1 two times already and I'm not even close to sucess. this is just like week 3 day 1 ie. a huge jump in difficulty. I'm determined and seeing progress so I'll keep plugging away.

Regarding armstrong pullup program, seeing steady improvement every week; original wide grip pullup consecutive max was 2, now i'm up to 9; with a total number of pullups in each workout just over 20 now.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/02/08 11:37 AM

Due to the hurricane and travel for work I haven't done a pushup in over three weeks. I'm going to start the program over next week. It'll be interesting to see how much strength I retained during this break.

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/02/08 12:10 PM

I want to start doing pullups also, can anybody recommend a good bar? I'm pretty tall, so I don't know if the "in the door frame" jobs will work.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/03/08 02:09 AM

I rigged a bar to the ceiling with some available materials I had (an old wooden handrailing section and some rope) using a level to make sure it wasn't tilted. I need to cross my legs and bend them at 90 degrees which is a drawback vs. hanging freely w/ my legs. Overally, no big deal. This setup served me quite well in the last 7 weeks, and was free.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/03/08 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: kevingg
I rigged a bar to the ceiling with some available materials I had (an old wooden handrailing section and some rope)...

Since you used rope, does it swing freely, sort of like a really short trapeeze? And a handrail would be rather fat, wouldn't it? Not the usual broomstick-diameter pull-up bar. A thicker bar would certainly increase the difficulty factor.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/05/08 06:36 PM

I watched an informercial last night for "P90X". Nice to know that the idea of good hard work done regularly for 90 days will make you stronger and more durable. Of course, boot camp taught me that lesson pretty well.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/10/08 12:41 AM

sorry so late in my reply. I've been away from the site for a while. You are exactly right in your description, just like a mini trapeze, hanging freely. Also, while I never thought of it, the handrail size is probably more work on my grip since I can't wrap my hands completely around it. I'm up to 10 consecutive and could only do 2 at first.
Posted by: aloha

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/10/08 04:55 AM

I really like body weight exercises and used to do them all the time when I was younger. Back then, they were a breeze. Now...

I have been wanting to get back to push-ups for quite a while, but my wrists have been bothering me off and on for the past year after my auto accident. Funny how it seems to bother me when I think about doing push-ups. Well, they were really hurting for the past week, but when I saw the "Perfect Push-Up" at Costco, I bought it. I have been wanting to, but was waiting for me wrists to feel better. I thought, "What the hell, just do it."

So last night I eased into it (my wife's suggestion so I wouldn't hurt myself...thanks for the confidence honey!). I did two sets, one of 20 and one of 10 since my wrists were still sore. But the wrist angle with the Perfect Push-Up didn't make it worse. But get this, I wake up this morning with NO wrist pain!! And I feel it a little in my chest. So I heartily endorse this product (my only relationship is as a satisfied customer). Tomorrow, I will go for my max reps to determine my workout schedule. It is very similar in set-up to the 100 push-up method, except their is a contraption to use. And they have a slew of other exercises built around it.

And I am looking for a pull-up bar too. My friend suggested one he saw on an infomercial, but he couldn't remember the name. I am around 200 now and am determined to get to 185 and then to 165. 165 has been my best weight in terms of strength and quickness with decent body mass. When I was 165, I think I had a 44-45 inch chest with a 30 inch waist. Unfortunately, I think now the numbers are reversed. blush

Good luck to all on your efforts. Wish me luck (and discipline) too.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 100 Pushups - 10/10/08 02:42 PM

Looks like a sensible program - ask you doc and get started.
( I'm a level three!)

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/10/08 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: aloha
And I am looking for a pull-up bar too.

If you're happy with the Perfect Push-up, the same guy also designed the Perfect Pullup, too. Here's the link.

I think I know the pullup bar your friend is referring to on the infomercials. It doesn't even need to be screwed into anything but sort of "hooks" over the top of a door frame and is held in place by your body weight, but I have my doubts about how well it works long-term. Good luck with your fitness plan!

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: aloha
And I am looking for a pull-up bar too.

If you're happy with the Perfect Push-up, the same guy also designed the Perfect Pullup, too. Here's the link.

I think I know the pullup bar your friend is referring to on the infomercials. It doesn't even need to be screwed into anything but sort of "hooks" over the top of a door frame and is held in place by your body weight, but I have my doubts about how well it works long-term. Good luck with your fitness plan!

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 03:03 AM

I think the Iron Gym Pullup Bar is probably what your friend saw on the infomercial. I've been seeing it on TV lately.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 03:08 AM

I think the Iron Gym Pullup Bar is probably what your friend saw on the infomercial. I've been seeing it on TV lately.

Mahalo! I think my friend said the one he saw was $19.99 but it works the same way.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 11:45 AM

as I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, I'm doing the armstrong pullup program (google it) and have gone from 2 consecutive wide grip pullups to 5 max sets (last night, with 90 sec rest between sets) of 11,4,4,4,4

I'm doing this with a free setup I rigged in the basement, just a pole/bar strung up to the ceiling like a short trapeze. Free and perfectly functional. If you don't have a bar, you could get a 1" diameter dowel at home depot.

The pushup program (100 pushups) in my opinion is literally impossible to do in 6 weeks. The jump in difficulty on week 3 day 1, and week 5 day 1 is ridiculous. Anyway, I just keep repeating a day until I get through. I'm working on week 5 day 1 now for several days, and the end is not in sight. I've been at it since my first post on this topic, loyally. I'm not discouraged however because it has improved my endurance and physique tremendously and I'll probably eventually get there.

Good luck.
Posted by: Pondering

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 01:52 PM

[quote=aloha]And I am looking for a pull-up bar too.

Here's a Home Depot version for the do-it-yourselfers...there are a number of variations discussed at the same site.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kevingg
...have gone from 2 consecutive wide grip pullups to 5 max sets (last night, with 90 sec rest between sets) of 11,4,4,4,4...

That's impressive progress! Keep it up, Kevin! laugh

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/11/08 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Pondering
[quote=aloha]And I am looking for a pull-up bar too.

Here's a Home Depot version for the do-it-yourselfers...there are a number of variations discussed at the same site.

I am not adverse to a do it yourself kit. Thanks!

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/16/08 02:06 AM

thanks for the encouragement. I really thank Blast for his original post which has really got me off my ass; 10 weeks so far with pushups and pullups (still not past week 5 day 1 of the damn pushups program though!)

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/16/08 03:08 AM

I've hit a wall with the pushups, too. I think the plan is impossible, but that certainly doesn't mean it's worthless. I feel like I've doubled my my arm strength!

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/25/08 01:28 AM

Impossible, I agree; but absolutely worthwhile. I'll probably be on week 5 day 1 for the rest of my life but at least its good exercise.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/25/08 02:59 AM

I've had to give up the pushups for a while. I totaled my left hand and wrist two weeks ago. I can finally make a fist again...

On the other, uh, hand I've managed to run four miles both Wednesday night and again tonight thanks to a free treadmill. It took me months to get to this point working out every other night, but I'm thinking it's pretty good. My goal now is to run that far faster. Right now I'm doing 4.5mph. My next goal is to do it at 5mph.

It really does feel good, doesn't it. Like I'm taking charge of something in my life.

-Blast
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/25/08 06:46 AM

Hmm, I think this pushup program suffers from the same problem than some of the similar ones I've tried in the past. The progression is fine initially but then you hit a certain plateau past which it's really hard to get. Here's another pushup routine, which may be methodologically better:
http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html

Part of the problem may be related to one's physical build as well. I used to be very active in the past (boxing, martial arts) but as a tall, fairly lightly built guy I could never get past about 50 pushups. Some problem with the bench press though I've been much better on some other lifts. In my experience guys with shorter arms can peform such exercises more easily because the leverage is different.

But anyway, I also gave this program a shot. Since I don't work out as hard as I used to it seemed a good idea. But I can tell right now after just a week into the routine (I started with Week 3) that I won't be ready for 100 reps any time soon. Anyway, even just getting back to 50 would be plenty nice for starters...
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/25/08 10:09 AM

Must say I'm kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one stuck. For me it's week 3.

Like Blast said, even if this 6-week program is impossible it still has value. It is simple enough that it has re-started my languishing fitness routine, which is now branching out into other activities and exercises (like tabata squats and running).

Glad to have found mention of it here as well as Tom_L's link to an alternative program and the pull-up programs/DIY bar.

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/26/08 12:34 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle of "week" 4. I did a test to see how many I could do at once, and I got fifty without a great deal of exertion. I think it works: when I started, I could hardly do 10!

Re: 100 Pushups, armstrong pullup program - 10/26/08 01:05 PM

I had a major issue also with week 3. I switched to every day (5 days on, two days off) and finally got through. I've hit the same wall at week 5 day 1, and I've been here for a while. Still making slow progress though. My last max test was 43. I'm thinking of testing again today to see if my max has upped.

Re: 100 Pushups - 10/26/08 01:16 PM

Just did a test and maxed at 51. This is about twice my initial test amount of 25. Hard to believe I've been at this loyally for so many weeks and I'm only 1/2 way to 100. I look and feel good though so I'm happy.

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/17/08 01:49 AM

Week 5, day one is tough! I was just able to squeeze out 25, the second to last set. I'll try again in a few days.

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/27/08 12:16 PM

Finally, in my 15th week I completed week 5 day 1 column 3! The quest continues.....

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/27/08 12:31 PM

I still haven't been able to do a single pushup since I wrecked my hand/wrist over a six weeks ago. frown I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to again.

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/27/08 02:13 PM

Bummer. Some things take forever, or so it seems, to heal. Hang in there...

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/28/08 01:49 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that. Have you sought medical advise, including physical therapy to re-build?

your hand/wrist injury raises an interesting thought in my mind, what if your out in the woods and suffer an injury that renders both hands useless (assume your lost, night is falling etc. and you can't just walk out)? think of the simple things you could not do like open your pack, dial a cell phone, make a fire/shelter etc. Similarly, one of my fears since I typically go out alone is to lose my eyesight (branch whack or something) -then you better have some luck on you side. Ever tried to setup a shelter blindfolded?

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/28/08 10:50 PM

blushI haven't gone to the doctor. There's something wrong with where the palm bones connect to the wrist. It's okay for most stuff but if I put and weight on in the form of a pushup the wrist joint collapses. I've noticed problems in my other wrist now, too. Arthritis runs in my family and I'm scared it's the first signs of that.

-Blast

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/28/08 11:48 PM

Bummer. I believe that this has been said on this forum before...See a Doctor!!!

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/29/08 01:29 AM

Doctors hate seeing doctors. We are weird that way... crazy

-Blast
Posted by: 311

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/29/08 02:27 AM

The USMC has pullups on the PFT. The ability to "pull up" is much more useful than "pushing up". The person may want to pull himself up into the truck, carry (biceps) a load, pull food up into the tree with a rope, pull a buddy out of harms way, pull himself up a cliff, pull up his pack, pull himself up a dirt bank out of a creek (temp 28F)at 0300, climb a cargo net, etc.

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/29/08 03:28 AM

Yup, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You can't fix you. I know, and I'm not even a doctor...

Re: 100 Pushups - 11/29/08 12:55 PM

check out earlier parts of this thread where the "Armstrong Pullup" program is discussed. I started it at the same time as this pushup program and went from 2max pullups to 5 sets currently: 11,6,5,4,4
Posted by: learnmore

Re: 100 Pushups - 12/01/08 01:56 AM

Once you are feeling better try doing a pushup on your fists this takes the pressure off of your wrists. I broke down and bought the perfect pushup handles at Dick's sporting goods and I haven't had any wrist problems since. I was skeptical, but they really did make a big difference.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: 100 Pushups - 12/01/08 02:12 AM

Physician heal thy self? Not always practical.

Look at it this way. By going to see another doctor, you will be helping him/her retire student loan debt. That will help a like minded doctor equip themselves to survive.

Re: 100 Pushups - 12/01/08 03:56 AM

Quote:
By going to see another doctor, you will be helping him/her retire student loan debt. That will help a like minded doctor equip themselves to survive.

I should clarify: I'm not a medical doctor, my doctorate is is in chemistry. However, I taught the pre-med organic chemistry lab throughout grad school. It's kind of like seeing sausage and laws being made. My impression of most of my students was "Oh my God, they are going to kill everyone they touch!!"
eek eek eek

It's kind of funny though. My current doctor graduated from med school in 2004. He's so young he doesn't even understand why I call him "Doogie". He's actually not bad, his main nurse is HOT and he has stitched me back together a number of times. Like I said though, I have a fear the pain is something bigger than a bit of a sprain...joint issues run in our family and from what I've seen my brother go through, the side effects of the medicines are worse than the arthritis itself.

-Blast
Posted by: Desperado

Re: 100 Pushups - 12/01/08 05:05 AM

Two wraps of Prima-Cord, One "initiation device" and maybe a large bandage. Then go see how good "Doogie" is with that needle and thread. Maybe the cat gut will build an immunity to, well, cats?

Forgot, Jack Daniels before, during and after you begin the above treatment, and maybe safety glasses.

Seriously, good luck with the wing. I gritch about carpal tunnel until I hear things like your issue.
Posted by: nouseforaname

Re: 100 Pushups - 02/07/09 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: learnmore
Once you are feeling better try doing a pushup on your fists this takes the pressure off of your wrists. I broke down and bought the perfect pushup handles at Dick's sporting goods and I haven't had any wrist problems since. I was skeptical, but they really did make a big difference.

i have the Ultimate Gym (???) thing they've been advertising on TV as of late; handles for pushups as well as a pull-up bar that doesn't need any installation, just friction. i HIGHLY recommend it! the pushups ive been doing are a world of difference if only because the extra range of motion i get...you can go 'deeeep' with handles.

i keep telling myself i'm going to do the 100 pushups, but i keep doing the initial max-rep test every night instead of looking at my intervals.

oh, hand placement is key...make sure your arms are square with your shoulders, you'd be amazed at how easy it is to sprain a wrist when youre not square, fatigue sets in and you start cheating.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: 100 Pushups - 02/07/09 03:32 PM

Quote:
i have the Ultimate Gym (???) thing they've been advertising on TV as of late; handles for pushups as well as a pull-up bar that doesn't need any installation, just friction. i HIGHLY recommend it! the pushups ive been doing are a world of difference if only because the extra range of motion i get...you can go 'deeeep' with handles.

You get an even greater range of motion if you do chair pushups.