zippo lighter fuel alternative

Posted by: kevingg

zippo lighter fuel alternative - 07/26/08 11:59 AM

Can you use charcoal lighter fluid in zippos? if not, is there a bulk purchase option for fuel that would be cheaper than the small ronsonol lighter fluid bottles?

thanks
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: zippo lighter fuel alternative - 07/26/08 01:38 PM

There are probably a number of common flammables that would light and burn in a Zippo. One that I have seen used is Naptha. I'm not really sure that it's safe, but it does work quite well and is available in bulk and reasonably inexpensive.
Posted by: sodak

Re: zippo lighter fuel alternative - 07/26/08 01:43 PM

I don't know about cbarcoal lighter fluid, but I think zippo fluid is basically Naptha. They smell the same to me, anyway.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: zippo lighter fuel alternative - 07/26/08 10:23 PM

Naptha has been the bulk alternative of choice. Not that even name-brand lighter fuel is all that expensive considering that a pint tin lasts a very long time.

Through WW2 Zippoes were often run on any available fuel. Automotive gasoline, genuine leaded gasoline, or aviation gas was what was handy. White gas was considered better than either of those and genuine lighter fluid was considered the top-shelf stuff. I understand that gasoline, particularly the military grades that are heavy with additives, lend a disagreeable flavor. Jebus knows what those additives mixes do to a smoker's lungs but if your a smoker I suspect you may not care, even if the aftertaste has a distinct 'refinery fire' flavor.

Naptha works well.