Securing a P-51 on a keyring.

Posted by: Erik_B

Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 01:58 PM

I'm a big fan of the John Wayne can opener, and have at least a dozen scattered about my various kits. I've found that after using one a few times, the blade doesn't stay folded. this wouldn't be too much of a problem except the one on my keyring tends to get snagged on stuff. Until now i just dealt with it, but a few minutes ago I cut my thumb open on it. So i just thought i'd give a heads up to all those who have one on their keyring.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 02:08 PM

I carry one on my keyring and keep the blade secured with a bandaid. The cushion part of the bandaid keys the blade in place and also keeps the hinge from snagging on stuff.

-Blast
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 02:30 PM

I just put scotch tape around the blade, probably placed much like Blast's bandaid.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 02:35 PM

I have one on my key ring; it’s been there for 35+ years. About 3 or 4 times a year I get poked in the leg by it when it gets flipped open. Never got cut by it. Not a real problem or me.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 04:11 PM

Chuck Norris used to carry John Wayne's P 38. The Duke let Chuck do the bleeding.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 06:09 PM

I think in Chuck's hands that P-38 could be an AWESOME weapon!!

... but the bandaid would have to come off first.

On second thought I think Chuck Norris could kill someone with a bandaid.
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 06:13 PM

I use a rubber band
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 06:45 PM

I carry one loose in my pocket and after getting poked in the leg a few times, secured the blade with a small piece of heat shrink tubing. Works well and can be easily removed and replaced as needed.
Posted by: LED

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:14 PM

I wrap mine with this (orange) tape. Stays on, never leaves a residue and easy to peel off.

http://www.identi-tape.com/carton-sealing.html

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:23 PM

I feel like I'm missing out on some exclusive can opener club...

The P-51 society.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:36 PM

Membership is going to be harder to come by since the Army P-51 are no longer being made.

The Canadian P-51 Club is growing since they are still being made and are very much liked, due to their larger size.

I quit carrying a keyring so my P-51's stay in my messkits.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:40 PM

When did they become P 51s? I know them as p 38s, sharing the name of a German Walther Pistole and WW2 twin tail Lightning interceptor by Lockheed? P 51 is the North American Mustang.

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:45 PM

Gosh darn it!!!!!!

I hate it when my Senility clashes with my dyslexia!!!!!

No I don't carry a fighter plane on my keychain that I don't carry around anymore. I meant P-38's. Thanks Chris!!!

Posted by: Blast

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 07:57 PM

What is the larger P-38 called?

-Blast
Posted by: comms

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 08:19 PM

I'd have never thought of the tape. Great idea!

Honestly, I carry a Swiss Army Champ and a P-38 in my EDC bag. I believe in redundancy but try to keep my key chain as small as possible.

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 08:20 PM

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/p3851milspecs.htm

2 different items but they both open cans.

I'll stick to my Leatherman and SAK for now.

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 08:30 PM

Okay,,,,my memory is starting to function,,,,the P-38 is the US Army Issue and the P-51 is the larger Canadian manufactured version.

I hate it when my Senility clashes with my aixelsyD!!!!!
Posted by: morto

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 10:21 PM

I have been wondering about the same problem; my P38 is old and worn; you would think tape etc would come to mind.
Thanks for the tips guys.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/25/08 11:38 PM

P-38 w/ some mention of P-51:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

A TON of info on the P-38 & the P-51. It says that the P-51 was used by mess hall cooks to open large cans.
http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml
Posted by: LED

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I feel like I'm missing out on some exclusive can opener club...

The P-51 society.

The first rule of the P-51 society. Don't talk about the P-51 society. The second rule of the P-51 society........ cool
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 02:52 AM

I have carried a Coghlin's P-51 copy for 15 or 20 years in my wallet, up until tonight I thought it was a P-38 (Thanks for the informative link, KenK).

Whenever I use it in public someone always says how neat it is, so I give it to them and just replace it (they are inexpensive).
One winter day I was in a coffee shop (I think it was Tim Hortons) buying a hot chocolate for my wife, the machine ran out of chocolate concentrate and the young clerk could not find the opener for the large can. P-51 to the rescue, I opened the can then gave the tool to the clerk, she had never seen one before and really appreciated the useful little gift.

Mike
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 07:17 AM

Won't have one. Won't carry one. Years ago use to carry one on my key ring. Popped open in my pocket. Fell and landed on aforementioned pocket. buried about half the blade in my leg. After removal massed the blasted thing into a wad. never carried one again and still won't.

Besides most of my pocket knives have better can openers on them. So why carry another one. Other than as a status symbol of being in the club.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 11:28 AM

One of the smallest binder clips you can find, over the hinge, will work. Makes it a bit bulker, but it keeps the can opener from taking a bite out of you.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 01:40 PM

Mine has been there since 'bout '68. Sure, if flops open, but since I carry my huge keyring clipped to a mini-'biner on my belt, it has never cut me (yet)...

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I think in Chuck's hands that P-38 could be an AWESOME weapon!!

Chuck Norris once faced a group of Marines armed only with a p-38. The incident became the inspiration for the movie Predator.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Raspy
Besides most of my pocket knives have better can openers on them. So why carry another one. Other than as a status symbol of being in the club.

I use mine every 10-days or so to open a can, and it’s better then the one in my Swiss Champ knife. They both work, but the P-38 is faster to use and easier to use.

I don’t worry about “The Club” that you talk about, I have never ben one to run with the pack.

I have it because I find it useful.

Posted by: Rodion

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 05:55 PM

P-51s have the advantage of looking innocuous to anyone but TSA thugs. You can carry one to places where you'd be shot for having a SAK. Plus, the rubber band on it is really useful.

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 10:00 PM

I got a P-38 to replace the similar style can opener that came with an old can of sardines. Then I discovered the P-51. I don't keep either on my keychain, but I keep my P-51 on a lanyard with my mini-crab trap as it is designed to just fit a tuna can as bait.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/26/08 11:36 PM

I don't carry a p-38 any more. Used to be everything came in cans. Rations were C-rations and while you could open one with a knife point a P-38 was just so very quick and efficient that not carrying one didn't make sense.

I never carried one on a keyring. Keyrings,IMHO, need to be kept as compact and light as practical if you expect to have to roll around on the ground. A big cluster of keys wears out pants pockets and leaves a bruise, or worse, if you fall on it. The fold-out blade on a P-38 is only about half and inch but driven into the flesh, ground in, and ripped sideways it can be quite painful.

I used to carry my P-38 on a string around my neck. A simple half-hitch in the string holds the blade in the folded position.

Now there aren't many things that come in cans and my Leatherman has an effective can opener. As much as I admire the simple efficiency and utility of the P-38 I suspect that my P-38 will mostly remain hung on my wall. I just don't see it making it out into the field.

Posted by: 11BINF

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/27/08 03:23 AM

of course P-38's are no longer issued in the military but still can be bought...the larger so called P-51'S are still issued with T-rats or tray pack rations which come in a metal tray and are large enough for a squad out in the field...they are issued as a back up can opener to the regular home style crank type...me i carry the large canadian type p-51 blade coverd in tape on my key chain..vince g. 11b inf..

Re: Securing a P-51 on a keyring. - 07/27/08 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodion
P-51s have the advantage of looking innocuous to anyone but TSA thugs. You can carry one to places where you'd be shot for having a SAK. Plus, the rubber band on it is really useful.

this is my main reason for carrying one. these days you never know when or where you'll be asked to leave your knife behind. with a p-38/p51 on the keyring, you've at least got SOMETHING to use as a tool. i cant' find the page, but i believe someone here posted a very MacGuyver-esque list of things you could do with one.