Field Shaving and Hygiene

Posted by: Lastborn

Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 03:45 PM

If left in the woods with nothing, what would one look for as an alternative to soap? Also, what would you shave with, assuming you have a straight razor and strop?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 03:50 PM

Last year I gave up soaps and foams in favor of shave oil for my travel kit. It worked so good it's all I use at home too. Best thing I've ever used for a good shave. You get about 40 shaves out of a tiny bottle smaller than a bottle of eye drops. I don't shave every day so I've only bought 3 bottles since last year and one of those was for my travel kit. The best part is that there's no messy soap to rinse off. Just wipe off any loose hairs and you're good to go.

http://www.cromwell-cruthers.ca/cromwell-cruthers/

addendum: I don't know how well it works with a straight razor. I plan to try but I don't want to buy one just for that...trying to find a hand-me-down.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 03:51 PM

Soaproot and similar plants found widely across the United States were used by those who went before us as soap. I agree that sand is often a good substiute for soap.

I do not understand the second part of your post.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 04:02 PM

I don't shave at home or on the trail. I can't remember the last time I bought shaving cream.

Soap... dirt in the stream cleans you up nicely...
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 04:03 PM

Dweste- A straight razor is a "cut throat"razor, like the super old fashioned ones from Sweeny todd.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Lastborn
Also, what would you shave with, assuming you have a straight razor and strop?

Is there a question here? If you have a straight razor, then I assume that's what you shave with.

Do you mean what would you use in place of shaving cream / gel / oil? If so, then same answer: soaproot or local equivalent.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 05:04 PM

anyplace in the states that sells this stuff? Seems interesting to me.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 06:15 PM

I used to have a hard time finding it here actually. I usually just hit a few drug stores and find a bottle eventually.

I've seen other brands around too...I'm sure this isn't all there is. Cromwell-Cruthers is just what I happen to use.
Posted by: MRPrice

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 07:18 PM

Magellen's used to sell the shaving oil. Might check their site
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 07:37 PM

i don't shave in the woods at all. To much hassle for me. When traveling i carry a mini-shavingfoam cannister with me.

At home i carry a selection of old fashion shaving soap and brush, shaving oil and foam. Never really tryed a straight razor, but i did shaved with old fashion doubled sided safety razors. But in the end, i decided sleeping longer was a better option than taking time to shave. So now it's just foam and a modern triple bladed razor for me. (and mine alarm clock still goes off at 5.45am...)
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 07:38 PM

Hi Lasthorn,

You could always use the roots of a soaptree.
Posted by: GiantSkunk

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 09:09 PM

For shave oils in the U.S. try:

http://www.groominglounge.com/preshave.html

I usually go scruffy in the field unless teaching a class
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 09:25 PM

I don't normally shave when in the woods. If there were a reason to shave, I just use normal soap and a safety razor.

I have a straight razor with me when I go camping but it is NOT for shaving! No, you don't want to know and I am not going to say!
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/22/08 10:35 PM

I have shaved with my pocket knife, YES I normally keep it that sharp. Usually I don't shave while camping, but a bar of regular soap, and some time working up a lather with your finger tips works fine - does work better with WARM water - gad I hate bathing with COLD water out of the stream
Posted by: BobS

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 01:44 AM

I don’t see this as any kind of real issue as I do take soap with me when in the wild. So to answer, I would use soap for soap. Shaving is no problem with a disposable razor & soap. Plan ahead and lay in a supply and take some with you in any kit you have. The dollar store has 4-packs of Ivory bar soap for $1.00; $20.00 or $30.00 will buy a lot of soap to put away. No need to ever run out. I’m coming up on 50-years old, never had to do without soap in that time, I don’t realistically expect to have to do it in the remainder of my life.

But then I never ran into a pack of 20 wild dogs either…
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:22 AM

I tried to shave with a straight razor many many years ago, and almost bled to death. I have shaved more times than I like to recall with a Gillette safety razor and water, and don't like it one little bit. Nowadays I use a Norelco. I guess I could rig up a solar panel to charge it if needed...
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:38 AM

There are plants that will get you a decent lather and grease cutting effect. A friend pointed them out. Not real common in my neck of the woods.

Personally I simply use a tiny bottle of lemon Joy. No phosphates, works in hard and salt water, rinses clean and is both strong enough to clean jeans that are dirty enough to stand on their own and gentle enough to do the girlfriend's hair. trick for hair is to make a solution of a half-pint of water with just a few drops of detergent in it so it doesn't strip her hair.

In a pinch I have used clean sand and clay to wash with. Clay does a remarkably good job of removing skin oils and dirt from a body. And fun to roll in the clay with a friend. Not so good on clothes.

Cromwell & Cruthers Shave Oil. Great Googlie Mooglie. Next you will demand white Zinfidel to wash down the pan-fried rat.

You can get Shave Secret for a dollar less and without shipping for 30% more oil at just about any drugstore or Wal-Mart. Similar product concept as the C&C without the fancy name and label. Made with menthol and clove oils. A bottle lasts, at three drops per shave and shaving every day, most of a year.

Good stuff.
http://www.shavesecret.com/

Works well with the old double edge:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopp...iProductID=5413

After you use it up you have a handy little bottle. I use them to repackage Lemon Joy and other materials. Just don't get them mixed up.
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 05:59 AM

I've used those double edged safety razors ever since I had enough fluff worth shaving. It's the only thing I use. Blades are way cheaper than the 3 or now 5 bladed plastic things you get now, plus blades like that can always be used in a kit as a back-up blade.
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 07:38 AM

In the US, King of Shaves makes a decent shave oil in a handy travel size, a little goes a long way with this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Shaves-Formul...422&sr=1-11

Magellans sells an all natural one, but I haven't tried it.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Personal_Care___ToiletriesKR381?Args=

I normally rubberband a couple of spare blades to the handle of a Gillette Mach3 (best razor ever), which packs small. Though I suppose if you want to get all fancy, you could get this travel razor (though I haven't seen it sold in the US):

http://www.avid4.co.uk/
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
You gotta be a long time in the bush 'afore
the critter you set your eye on and having
thoughts of relations cares a diddly whether
you're clean shaven. Only itches and scratches
for a month or so, can't speak for the critter
though. But it'll get use to you :-)

Duh Sit!

Guess you don't go co-ed backpacking... (as I did in my younger days)

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 12:38 PM

"...fun to roll in the clay with a friend..."

A roll in the clay leads to a roll in the hay? laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 02:45 PM

Hi Lasthorn

You could always use some makes of insect repellant to use as a lubricant to shave with. As an experiment I tried 'Dr Johnsons Mosquito and insect repellent' roll on stick. It worked quite well except that it dried out slightly more quickly than a conventional shaving oil.

A good after shave moisturiser is also required whether using conventional soap or shaving oil.

Nivea Extreme Comfort After Shave Balm is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Extreme-Comfort-After-Shave/dp/B0016IP2P8/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_3

You should be able to get it in smaller travel sized container.

A razor such as the Avid4 shaving system with a shaving oil such as King Of Shaves Kinexium Shaving Oil Unmentholated 20ml, would be very compact and lightweight.

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/b...mentholated.asp

http://www.trafalgarshop.com/catalog_ts/AVID4-Shaving-System-p-16140.html

Posted by: Kart29

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:13 PM

Last time I went backpacking I didn't think to bring any soap. I really missed it. Mostly I just scrubbed up with sand/gravel from the bottom of a little crick. Good enough for a woodsman I guess.

I had some dishes that were greasy with burnt spam & butter. Cold water and sand just won't take off the grease - it just smears it around. So, I mixed up some wood ashes with hot water to make a paste, smeared that all around the greasy pans and let them sit for a while. Cleaned the pans up good!

I think old time lye soap is just wood ashes and animal fat. I don't know the exact process or mixture but knowing the basics, I'm sure you could mix up something that would pass for soap. Man-o-man, that lye soap can burn you skin if you use it very often on sensitive areas.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:23 PM

Spam? Freeze-dried or dehydrated?
Posted by: Johno

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:27 PM

I'm a big fan of shaving oil, at home and in the field. seems to go through razors a bit quicker though.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 03:35 PM

One of the shaving oil sites touts using their razor cleaning brush to apply oil to the razor after a shave to extend bald life by inhibiting exposure to air / corrosion. Any truth to that?

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 04:05 PM

I apply oil to my knives to extend the life of the edge so it makes sense to me.

I also use shaving oil to lube the blades on my clippers.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 04:55 PM

I carry a tube of Aloe Vera 100% Gel (Wal-Mart) I use it to shave, on Sun burns,dry skin and as a Hair gel to keep what is left of my hair on my head. good stuff,works for me. May I add that I buy it in a 12oz. bottle and refill a 2oz. tube that I have carryed for years. It is also fragrance and color free.

Posted by: Kart29

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Spam? Freeze-dried or dehydrated?

DEHYDRATED SPAM????? Whatchoo talkin bout, dehydrated Spam????

Everybody knows Spam comes in a can with the water still in it.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Stokie
I've used those double edged safety razors ever since I had enough fluff worth shaving. It's the only thing I use. Blades are way cheaper than the 3 or now 5 bladed plastic things you get now, plus blades like that can always be used in a kit as a back-up blade.

IMHO the double-edge razor is the way to go for a lot of situations. A straight razor has advantages but they require some extra equipment, care in use and gentle handling. The old double edge is pretty much a tank. And it gives a nice, satisfying shave.

Probably the double edge will soon be gone. The blades are easily available at most any drugstore. The general quality of the blades is down. Used to like Wilkinson platinum because they were pretty much top shelf but they are no longer available. There are still good blades commonly available but to get the really fine ones you need to buy from one of the European manufacturers.

The double edged shavers themselves are available only in antique stores or you can get a German made unit online. Used to be any drugstore had a selection. The Vermont Country Store is one of the few places to get one. They specialize in carrying older devices and products.

If your into it it is possible to sharpen a double-edged razor blade. Back in the 20s and 30s there were quite a few proprietary devices that made it possible. Blades were expensive back then and people poor. I fiddled with a makeshift rig and, at best, I could extend the life of the blade for a couple more shaves. Only cost the tip of one of my fingers and a pint or so of blood. I figure I'm better off just stocking up on blades.

I tried the disposable razors but they seem like squirrelly little toys and I never like throwing out a plastic unit when it is just a tiny bit of steel that is dull. Of course the cheap disposable units are light. Something to think about if weight is a major concern. Disposables are handy to give to visitors or just to have a razor in a gas mask kit or glove compartment. Stuff a disposable, a sample-size shaving oil and an old CD for use as a mirror in a zip-lock and you have a cheap and handy shaving kit.

If you have plans to use a gas or filter mask you really need to be clean shaved. There are special hoods that allow our hirsute brothers, and Italian sisters, to stay safe but they are much less common and considerably more expensive. I understand that the Belgians had a gel that they kept in their gas mask bags that could be applied over facial hair to provide a seal in an emergency but I'm not sure how well it worked or where to get any.

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 08:54 PM

Or just do how i do it.... Don't shave... I havn't shaved in the last 14 years and I am still clean shaven (:
Posted by: Blast

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 08:57 PM

Climberslacker,

LOL!!!

-Blast
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 09:17 PM

Climberslacker,

Too funny!

Mike
Posted by: dchinell

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 09:23 PM

I think Big Al wins in the ultralight backpacking division with his multi-purpose Aloe Vera gel.

I don't shave on trips as long as a week, but then I have a full beard. (Like many bearded men, I normally shave daily to maintain the contours of my beard.)

When I'm home, I shave with Mennen Afta gel aftershave. I like it because it's a good lubricant and it's water-soluble. The other lubricants I've tried always seem to leave an unwanted film.

Bear

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 10:34 PM

But, if I ever get a beard... I would definatly go with the sweeny todd razor (: but I have some indian (tomahawk indians, not red dot indians) in me so I might not have to ever shave

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/23/08 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
But, if I ever get a beard... I would definatly go with the sweeny todd razor (: but I have some indian (tomahawk indians, not red dot indians) in me so I might not have to ever shave

Interesting.
Maybe I have some native American blood also. There are parts of me that I have never shaved and still haven't grown hair. And it looks like the indian parts are spreading because some parts that used to grow hair no longer do. Based on this I figure in a few more years I might qualify for membership in a tribe.

Is there a slacker/survivalist/grumpy liberal tribe?

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/24/08 01:27 AM

Enjoy it while you can!!!
Posted by: marduk

Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene - 07/24/08 03:48 AM

When I travel, I use shave oil (usually from Wal-Mart) and this:
http://www.travelersshoppes.com/browseproducts/Baggallini-Travel-razor.html