Equipped to survive...cycling

Posted by: Anonymous

Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:40 AM

Bicycles have come up a few times on the forum lately and having just bought a new bike myself for commuting, I figured I'd start a new thread.

I used to commute by bike and now that I am again (starting tomorrow) I'm packing my bag. My commute isn't very far compared to what I was doing last winter but as I'll be in the River Valley quite a bit and will be riding there for fun too, I'm treating preparedness like a day hike only with extra stuff that's cycling specific.

Question to the cyclists here on the site. What do you differently when riding? Most people I see out on the streets and paths seem to be less prepared than the people going by foot.

Here's what I'm carrying that would be over and above just because I'm cycling:

• Switching from shoulder bag to backpack. I'd use a courier bag if I owned on but my MEC Deluxe Book Bag is a great bag for this task.
  • Tool Kit
    • 10mm/12mm combo wrench
    • 6" crescent wrench
    • Patch Kit
    • CO2 filler (1 cartridge good to fill 2 20" tires to 30psi)
    • Schrader valve adapter
    • Micro Pump (for top ups and backup to CO2)
    • Chain Tool
    • 2x Tire Levers
    • Tire Pressure Gauge
    • Princeton Tech Scout Headlight
    • Mechanix Gloves
    • Nitrile Gloves (great for dirty chain work)
    • All other needed tools are covered by EDC Leatherman Charge TTi + Bit pack
  • Spare Parts
    • Extra Tube
    • Folding 20" BMX Street tire
    • 2 spare stem valves
    • 2 spare valve stem caps
  • First Aid Kit
    • AMK UltraLight .5 (modified for road rash with below)
    • burn gel
    • surgical scrub brush
    • Tweezers
    • 2x triangle banage
    • Roll of gauze
    • Nitrile Gloves
  • LED Head Lamp (modified to fit over helmet)
  • Red LED flasher
  • Change of clothes (either work clothes or just a change in case off unexpected wetness)
  • Bus Money (if it breaks and I can't fix it, I'm NOT walking it home smile )
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:59 AM

A few properly sized spokes taped under the down tube and a spoke wrench might come in handy.

Jeff

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 04:25 AM

A spoke wrench is something I've been thinking about getting. Unfortunately I've never learned how to properly tighten spokes so there really has never been a point.

Also, I forgot the cable bike lock.
Posted by: PackRat

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 05:22 AM

A reflective vest can be a real benefit in city traffic and on bike paths.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 05:53 AM

I have a dedicated backpack for recreational cycling with:
- Jacket
- 0,5 Liter bottle of water
- A snack

- spare tube
- patch kit (glue, patches, tire Levers)
- A few spare bolts
- Wrench (not sure what size, but it fits)
- Swisstool
- Hex keys
- Piece of cloth
- Working gloves
- Latex gloves
- Pump (mounted on the bike)
- Bottle with diluted energy drink (mounted on the bike)

- FAK (don't have a list of the contents)
- LED lights, front and back. (optional)

For daily commute from mine home to the trainstation and from the station to work (i own 4 bicyles), well just mine EDC and workgear and no bicyle stuff.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 12:16 PM

The one thing I'd suggest, for anyone considering riding a bike in traffic, is to read up on how to do it. I've seen people get in trouble around NYC by not knowing what lane to be in. If you are going to turn left, then you need to get in a left lane, etc. Don't be afraid to take a whole lane. If you are in doubt, then walking the bike across a lane of traffic or an intersection is not a bad option.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 12:26 PM

The other day when I was driving home from work I saw someone on a bike, going uphill, pulling a trailer similar to this:

I have no idea what was inside it, or how heavy it was, but he was doing it.

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 02:06 PM

That's the kind of rig I want to make for touring. It needs to be low enough to pull behind my new folding bike though so I can use it to run errands around my condo. If it attached high like the one in the above picture it could pull the bike over backwards! I think I'll have to make some kind of hitch thingie that bolts to the frame.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 02:23 PM

If you want to attach something at a level lower than the top of the seat tube, then you might want to do it with a yoke that the hub can pass through. However, that may complicate wheel removal. I could see a yoke made in two pieces, one long that went to one side of the hub and back to the trailer. the other than bolted into the first part and went to the other side of the hub.

I don't think I would want to attach anything to the chain stays or seat stays, as those are usually the thinnest tubes in the frame.
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
That's the kind of rig I want to make for touring. It needs to be low enough to pull behind my new folding bike though so I can use it to run errands around my condo. If it attached high like the one in the above picture it could pull the bike over backwards! I think I'll have to make some kind of hitch thingie that bolts to the frame.

It shouldn't happen if your weight is over the center of the bike, unless the trailer is really, really heavy. The exception would be while climbing a steep hill, when a more moderate weight could be a problem. In that situation you might want to position your weight more over the handlebars
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:22 PM

In most states a bicycle is considered a vehicle, meaning you must ride in the same lane and going in the same direction as cars, signal your turns and obey stop lights and signs. When I see someone ride a bike against traffic or on a sidewalk, running a stop sign, etc., I have two nearly simultaneous thoughts: (1) he should get a ticket; (2) he's probably going to get hit by a car. It seems to me either result is undesirable from a survival standpoint.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:32 PM

At the risk of boring you, I offer yet again the approach I take to evaluating what gear is appropriate.

I cannot address your cycling-specific needs as I do not often cycle, and have no experience with commuter cycling since high school. I have never cycled into any wilderness more exotic than farmland, nor for longer than one long day.

But I think you might examine your kit against the Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food). And then I suggest checking to see if you have gear in each of whatever survival categories you salute; at this time mine include First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

If you used these criteria for a moment to review your kit, what would you see?

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
It shouldn't happen if your weight is over the center of the bike, unless the trailer is really, really heavy. The exception would be while climbing a steep hill, when a more moderate weight could be a problem. In that situation you might want to position your weight more over the handlebars

That's true with a normal bike. With weight on the handlebars it's unlikely unless the trailer is loaded wrong. My folding bike has crazy geometry though. The seat is really far back and the riding position is very upright. It puts most of the weight just in front of the rear wheel.

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
In most states a bicycle is considered a vehicle, meaning you must ride in the same lane and going in the same direction as cars, signal your turns and obey stop lights and signs. When I see someone ride a bike against traffic or on a sidewalk, running a stop sign, etc., I have two nearly simultaneous thoughts: (1) he should get a ticket; (2) he's probably going to get hit by a car. It seems to me either result is undesirable from a survival standpoint.

It's like that here too but there are areas of the city where riding on the sidewalk is allowed (typically where the sidewalk is really wide and/or the traffic is really dangerous). I pick my route where I can stay on bike paths, sidewalks where cycling is permitted, or one way streets...I like not having to deal with oncomming traffic.

One trick I use when traffic is heavy is I'll stay right even when I want to turn left. I'll stop at the cross walk, flip my bike 90 degrees and wait by the sidewalk with all of the peds for the light to change before going down the cross street. Then I don't have to change lanes and I don't have to cross oncoming traffic. Good return on safety for a small investment of waiting time.

I also like lights and reflective stuff (I haven't bought a vest yet though). Drivers might complain that flashing lights are distracting...but I say that's the point smile

Posted by: clearwater

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 04:25 PM

I keep a 5 dollar bill in my patch kit.

If I am far from from home and need extra calories, I
can buy some.

If you develop a hole in the tire (not the tube) a classic
short term fix is to put a folded bill between the
tube and the tire so the tub isn't exposed.

A vest is a great idea. A nice mesh so you don't overheat.

Watch for cars passing then making a right hand turn in
front of you.

Also for people opening parked car doors on the street side as you are
in the right lane of traffic.

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 04:28 PM

Another short term, limp home fix for broken spokes is
to simply wrap the broken spoke around the next sound one
so it doesn't catch in your brakes or chain etc.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 04:33 PM

Good list. I'd add sunscreen, rain gear, and a big water bottle
Posted by: Russ

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 04:38 PM

For those fortunate enough to get one while they were available smile , the Peter Atwood Bike Tool has a spoke wrench among other things. Nice multi-tool for a bike.

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
For those fortunate enough to get one while they were available smile , the Peter Atwood Bike Tool has a spoke wrench among other things. Nice multi-tool for a bike.

$90!!???!?!?? and again I say ?! I've paid a lot for a little on occation but all I see is a glorified bottle opener with 2 hex bits built in.

It may be bigger but I'd rather get any of the Filzer multi tools (like this one http://www.filzer.com/products.php?id=114 )...or something similar. I used to carry the Mini 10 until I realized my new Leatherman has everything it has plus more.

Teacher: I do carry those things. I didn't want to list every little thing so I narrowed the focus to just the extra cycling specific items.

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 07:19 PM

These are neat tools. Stay on your bike and have the essentials

chain tool (stays inside your seat post )

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...;tc=Multi-Tools

This one has a spoke wrench and includes the previous tool.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=CL-QSET

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 07:32 PM

Neat. I saw one online last week (can't find the link, sorry). It's a bike pump that IS a seat post. Quick release the seat off the post and the post out of the frame and you've got a pump you never leave home without.
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 07:53 PM

Looks like a good carry-kit for your bicycle commuting.

Regarding extra spokes, spoke wrench or knowing how to tighten spokes/true wheels: you might find it worthwhile to carry one (or two) FiberFix replacement spokes because it can be a handy way to do a quick on-the-road repair that will get you home or to a bike shop.

You can see how it works at:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.htm

You can find them online or at many local bike shops.

Also, I agree a dollar bill can work well as a temporary tire "boot" if you get a gash in a tire. (You put the bill in-between the inner tube and the hole in the tire.)

But you might find that an old Tyvek mailing envelope works very well, weights little, folds small, and is free if you look around or re-use an old one.

I find a cloth cycling cap folds small but comes in handy not only in sunny conditions but especially in mist or rain because it helps keep my glasses a little clearer of water drops.

Lastly, it's cheap and easy to add a few strips of reflective tape to your bike's crank arms, fenders, chain stays, etc. (Every thing that makes you more visible if you get caught in darkening conditions is a good thing, I think.)
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 08:16 PM

Going to be taking a week long bike tour in the country, so paying attention to this thread wink

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 09:16 PM

Thanks Henry. That's an amazing product that I never would have known about otherwise...it's like the pantyhose fan belt of bicycles wink

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 10:59 PM

Hacksaw:

Go to your local MEC and get Tuffy tire liners. I have them on my mountain / commuter bike and after 3 years and over 7,000 km (4400 miles) of riding in all types of terrain...city and off-road, I have not had a flat tire once.

The liners are well worth the money. In fact after fenders and panniers, the liners are one of the best and worthwhile improvements you can make to your bike. If you have smaller tires/rims, the liners can be cut to fit.

See here about 1/2 way down the page

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/21/08 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Thanks Henry. That's an amazing product that I never would have known about otherwise...it's like the pantyhose fan belt of bicycles wink

These things are not really needed. I myself have rode my bike for 2 weeks at a time with a broken spoke(s) and no ill effects. There is a guy at work, his bike has been missing a back rim spoke for 2-3 years now.

Most bike rims can still ridden on if there is one or even 2 spoke failures. The secret is to easily adjust the other spokes enough if the rim is a bit wobbly. Practice on a junker rim and you should be able to adjust the spokes in no time on your bike if ever needed in the future.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/22/08 01:51 AM

What folding bike did you buy? All Dahon's have a pump in the seat post. How far is your commute, one way? If you don't want to walk with a irreparable bike problem, take your cell phone too. I've been doing the bike commute (3 miles one way) for about 3 years and like it!

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/22/08 04:11 AM

Currently it's not far. Not sure the exact distance but I can walk it in 40 minutes. If I had to walk during a commute it wouldn't be the end of the world but I would be late. The nice thing about the folding design is that I can hop on a bus without hassle (only a few routes here have rack equipped buses).

I passed on the Dahon (they're really expensive here for some reason...like 80% more than in the US it seems) and went with the lesser known Norco Origami. I've been pretty impressed so far considering it was almost half the price of the cheapest Dahon I could find locally. I was originally concerned about how tough it is but I weigh 230 and it feels very solid.
Posted by: morto

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/22/08 05:38 AM

If you are looking at bicycle trailers, have a look at the range of BoB traliers. www.bobgear.com
Cheers
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/22/08 02:21 PM

And a helmet
Posted by: comms

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/24/08 12:12 AM

First...would like to say this is my first post to ETS after lurking on the forum for years and scouring the ETS website.

As a cyclist and a 'prepared person', I would hesitate to over think the joy of cycling in urban/suburban areas with the concepts of being prepared for the worst of it when in the back country.

My work commute when I do so, is 15 miles each way and on weekends can ride up to 100 miles for fun. Aside from my EDC and essentials for work (clothes, etc)there is not that much that needs to be addressed over the basics for work commutes.

-Hydration
-powerbar (et al)
-Helmet
-Ability to change a tire
-eye protection
-lighting for your ride, front and back
-work related items, clothing, keys, etc
-proper clothing for cycling comfort, including a brightly colored top.
-cell phone
-I suggest an id tag from Roadid dot com.

Baring an accident, the worst to happen enroute is most likely a flat. If you have prepared your trip by giving route information to a co-worker, buddy or significant other, a phone call can get you where you need to be in due time, especially if your within a few miles of the start or ending destination.

The worst I ever had was a three flatter ride and stuck along the freeway. My wife was called and she arrived two hours later. Meanwhile several motorists stopped to see if I needed assistance and kept me well supplied in water.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Equipped to survive...cycling - 07/24/08 01:50 AM

I am not a cyclist so I cannot add much to this thread but ... Welcome to the Forum Comms!

Mike