"Lost" hiker found after using PLB

Posted by: jaywalke

"Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 12:09 PM

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880709107

Not a lot of detail. The guy seems to have been walking out at his planned exit time. Model of PLB not mentioned, either.

Posted by: Russ

Re: "Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 12:31 PM

Quote:
...It sent a couple nonemergency signals throughout the day, the last being about 3 p.m., Shuping said.

The beacon does not send out a signal that rescuers can track because it is based on satellite communications, not radio waves, he said....
Sounds like the Spot Messenger, not a PLB.

Personal opinion, a map and compass properly applied would have made this "rescue" unnecessary. But if you are going to go with satellite based systems, start with a good GPS so you can stay found on your own. Don't unnecessarily burden the system because you got turned around/lost but are otherwise in good shape.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: "Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 01:36 PM

"...Brechner had intended to camp overnight in the wilderness.

“He got out about the time he would have,”..."

So where was the emergency???
Posted by: Russ

Re: "Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 02:46 PM

Based on the nonemergency transmissions sent throughout the day, my guess is that the "victim" of this "ordeal" knew it wasn't an emergency too. The only question I have is which button did he push that sent the 14 transmissions in the dawn hours.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: "Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 03:50 PM

Quote:
His emergency satellite beacon, which sends a single [sic] to a private company that hosts the service, started at 6:48 a.m. Wednesday and stopped an hour later after sending 14 transmissions.

The “single” being sent to a private company also makes it sound like it is a SPOT Satellite Messenger instead of a true PLB. It also appears proofreading is not a high priority of the news these days.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: "Lost" hiker found after using PLB - 07/10/08 03:54 PM

sounds like a classic "well, I paid for this thing, I'm damn well going to get my money out of it." thought pattern.