Water purification

Posted by: Chaotiklown

Water purification - 07/09/08 03:37 PM

As most of you guys have seen, I will be in the Blue Ridge Mountain Region for a good amount of time...

My main concern will be potable water... I know there's plenty of water purification contraptions and tablets on the market, but I don't want to have to depend on anything that requires that I change a filter, or re-up on tabs.....I will have a small pot to cook in, is it sufficient to boil all of my water, or even drink directly from mountain streams if I have to? If boiling water is sufficient, I have no problem with boiling each night, and carrying a good amount of water on my person until I hit the next body or running stream of water... I will also hydrate a bit from the food that I eat as well...
Posted by: SHawk

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 03:45 PM

Boiling is sufficient to purify the water. I do take exception to your statement that you will hydrate from the food. I don't think there is any food that will hydrate you, as it all takes water from you body to digest. Some foods, just less than others. But I believe that the best rule of thumb is if you don't have enogh water to digest the food you plan to eat, then don't eat. Think of a scale water intake must at least equal water output. If your urine isn't nearly clear then you are a bit dehydrated.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 04:29 PM

Quote:
My main concern will be potable water... I know there's plenty of water purification contraptions and tablets on the market, but I don't want to have to depend on anything that requires that I change a filter, or re-up on tabs.....I will have a small pot to cook in, is it sufficient to boil all of my water, or even drink directly from mountain streams if I have to? If boiling water is sufficient, I have no problem with boiling each night, and carrying a good amount of water on my person until I hit the next body or running stream of water... I will also hydrate a bit from the food that I eat as well

A very lightweight purification system which would have a very long life time would be a Solar PV charger such as a Sunlinq 6.5W panel, A set of replaceable RCR123s with 12V charger and a Hydro-Photon Adventurer.

Steripen-adventurer 4 oz
Sunlinq 6.5W PV Solar Charger 7 oz
4 RCR123s with charger 4oz

Total Weight 15oz

This setup would last about 5-7 years of continual use at 3 litres/day of water treatment.

Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 04:48 PM

If you are planning on hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains during the next few months, you are going to need a good amount of water. Boiling it all is probably going to be difficult.

Normal human needs are about a gallon of water a day, before you begin to think about hygenic uses. However, if you are walking through this area, carrying a load, you are going to sweat and need more water.

At the very least, I'd carry something to chemically treat water. I'd at least put some iodine in my stuff and learn how to use it.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 04:57 PM

You should probably be a bit redundant when it comes to water. This is one thing you don't want to be without.

As many people have said, the rule of 3's. 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Those will kill.

With that said, carry a supply of purification tabs. The Katadyn Micropur Purification Tablets are some of the best. I've also heard great reviews on the Steripen mentioned above, esp. with the solar charger.

With this setup, you can normally boil water when you can. You can also treat the water in one of two ways if you need to be moving quickly or don't have the time to boil. The tablets are a good backup in case technology breaks down, which it always seems to do at the worse possible time.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 05:00 PM

If you are not staying in established camp sites, is it legal to have a fire? If no fire for the night you might carry the pills to get you through the next day. As far as fire to boil water and not have to carry fuel for a stove you may try this.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=288270

Posted by: dweste

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 05:04 PM

Solar option:

Aquapak water purification system with built-in WAPI $20
http://65.108.108.197/catalog/aquapak-p-37.html?osCsid=175170b8962102b1cfd38c77657d5c59
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Steripen-adventurer 4 oz
Sunlinq 6.5W PV Solar Charger 7 oz
4 RCR123s with charger 4oz

Total Weight 15oz

For what it's worth, SteriPEN offers a solar charger/case (with batteries) for the Adventurer and Traveler models (suggested retail $79.95). The Adventurer and charger can be purchased as a package (suggested retail $149.95).

http://www.steripen.com/steripen_products.html
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 05:34 PM

Even if you plan to boil as your primary method, carry something small as a backup like a MIOX Pen, tablets, or a small filter of some kind.
Posted by: Spiritwalker

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 06:52 PM

I'd recommend a Milbank filter bag with a SteriPEN w/solar charger plus tablets as a emergency backup. You can use the Milbank to prefilter water before boiling or using the SteriPEN. A home-made Milbank can be sized to carry and protect one gallon ziplock freezer bag(s) or a small solar shower to transport water away from the source (and swarms of mosquitoes) for purification. It will also act as a half-assed evaporation cooler while wet.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 06:58 PM

Grouch, welcome to the forum!

I saw somewhere a review of the Steripen solar charger that said the panel is too small and takes forever to charge batteries. Anyone know more about this?

Nurit

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 07:27 PM

I also read a couple reviews that mentioned you would be better off getting an aftermarket charger.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Water purification - 07/09/08 07:37 PM

How much water can you purify on a set of CR123 batteries in a Steripen? My MIOX pen is rated for 200L on 2 CR123s. I've never actually measured to see if that's realistic or not but if it is, I can carry 6 spares in a small case and have a backup to boiling that can handle over 750 Liters of water! That's well more than a couple of months worth.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Water purification - 07/10/08 03:04 AM

I have a Katadyn Pocket Filter that will soon have a Sawyer SP 135 attached to the outlet, and that currently has a Katadyn Activated Carbon Cartridge attached to it. When finished I'll feel pretty secure that the water that has gone through all of it is about as safe to drink as water can be.

While I'm pumping I'm sure I'll hear "Powerhouse" by Raymond Scott... You know, that song you'd hear in old Warner Brothers cartoons when some assembly line machine was in action.

Re: Water purification - 07/10/08 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: nurit
Grouch, welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

Quote:
I saw somewhere a review of the Steripen solar charger that said the panel is too small and takes forever to charge batteries. Anyone know more about this

I've purchased one but haven't used it yet.

Re: Water purification - 07/10/08 10:48 AM

Re Steripen solar charger:

“According to the product literature, using solar power will take two days to fully recharge batteries under optimal conditions. Under less than ideal solar conditions, charging could take as long as 5 days (or longer under very poor conditions).”

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...lleen%20Porter/

“I timed how long it takes to get from an exhausted battery to a fully charged one. After several tests the average time came out to 5 hours..”
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...20Mike%20Lipay/

“I found the solar charging case to work, but very slowly – charging batteries took several days of sun exposure which was a bit disappointing. However, on an extended trip into the backcountry, two sets of batteries could be rotated between active use and charging to ensure that the SteriPEN is always ready.“
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/climbin...ifier/106072675
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Water purification - 07/10/08 09:48 PM

Sorry about the late post on this, I have a Steripen solar charger and it takes forever to recharge. I would recommend getting a fold able solar cell off or e-bay of 20 watts or greater. If you have time, click on the link below and watch the videos, it will explain what I am talking about. There is alot of useful things you can do with solar. I would also recommend a hand pump filter with a carbon filter for example
I use a steripen and a katadyn combi filter.

The reason for the katadyn combi filter is to get rid of chemicals and pesticides from the water, the steripen kills all the viruses and nasties. Now a days with the water supplies. there is high traces of pesticides and pollution in the waters around the US and boiling water and tablets, etc.. won't get rid of chemicals out of the water systems, carbon helps remove some of these chemicals out of the water. If you have a 40 watt or greater solar cell, you can run a steripen or Miox 100% without any batteries in an emergency. I love the steripen for it's purpose but it's all in your preference. Watch the video and see what you think.

Click Here and watch the video
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post126059

Re: Water purification - 07/11/08 03:49 AM

Thanks dweste. It was indeed backpackgeartest.org. A very useful website.

Re: Water purification - 07/11/08 03:52 AM

Thanks falcon5000 for reporting on actual use.

Re: Water purification - 07/11/08 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: nurit
Thanks falcon5000 for reporting on actual use.

Yeah, thanks. I plan to carry regular batteries for normal use (I keep a good supply of 123's on hand anyway) and depend on the rechargeables only if a long term situation demands it. I'll pack 3-4 sets of rechargeables so that there can always be a set in the charger.

Re: Water purification - 07/11/08 09:58 PM

Glad to help as much as I can nurit and Grouch. When using the Steripen for trips, if you only put the batteries in the unit when you need it, it will save battery life a lot. I think it has a small current drain on the batteries if left in there all the time. The solar recharger they sale with the steripen takes forever to recharge and a fold able cell is a invaluable tool. I did find out that my 40 watt cell will power the steripen with no batteries vs my 20 watt won't. But both cells will charge the batteries quickly and if you keep some spares around and there is a sun out to recharge then you will be ok. I do like the 40 watt cells in case I have battery failures or no sun for awhile and I need power now, when the sun does return from multiple rainy days, and the battery power is low so I can just run the steripen off of the cell with no batteries for quick treatments.

Re: Water purification - 07/12/08 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Glad to help as much as I can nurit and Grouch. When using the Steripen for trips, if you only put the batteries in the unit when you need it, it will save battery life a lot. I think it has a small current drain on the batteries if left in there all the time. The solar recharger they sale with the steripen takes forever to recharge and a fold able cell is a invaluable tool.

I've been considering a foldable solar panel anyway so this might be a good time to get serious about it. I watched your videos and I was impressed with your 40 watt panel.

Re: Water purification - 07/12/08 11:14 PM

Thanks Grouch, I'm glad you liked it.
Posted by: Chaotiklown

Re: Water purification - 07/28/08 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

Otherwise boiling is always a safe bet but it does require you to stop whenever you run low on water and build a fire or carry extra fuel. Are you going to carry a stove or build campfires? Depending on where you are campfires may not always be allowed or gathering firewood for that matter.

LOL! It seems every time you ask a question I come up with at least two or three for you. laugh

I plan on being gone as long as I need to- There is no set "time limit".... I will not be carrying a stove, I'll be building campfires. I will have to be careful where I build fires I realize, but that's just part of paying attention to where I'm at, and the laws of the area.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Water purification - 07/29/08 03:16 PM

Careful: iodine does not kill Cryptosporidium.

If you have the capacity to carry 3-4 L of water and the time to boil all of that at least twice per day (maybe more if you're hiking all day at a fast pace) whenever you're at a water source, then I think boiling is an option.

I think UV sterilizers with Micropur tabs as a backup in event of battery or device failure is the best option.
Posted by: comms

Re: Water purification - 08/01/08 03:42 PM

I just started a post the other day on the steriPEN. I have used the PUR Hiker filter for about a decade and carried iodine or tabs as back ups. That has some great feedback on that item.

The flow of your posts leads me to assume, perhaps incorrectly, that your looking to do this as inexpensively as possible. Buying a $100-$150 SteriPEN set up may not jive with that philosophy. That leaves boiling which is time consuming and fuel consuming if you have to use gas instead of timber due fire restrictions. Camping gases for that long in the back country can be heavy.

So that leaves for cost, a filter. I think name brands are the tested way to go for consistency and efficiency but I found a UL filter by Timberline Filters that is only $20 and claims to block out all the usual suspects.

Posted by: Lono

Re: Water purification - 08/01/08 05:15 PM

For inexpensive but effective water filtration, the folks at Emergency Essentials has the Katadyn Hiker water filter on sale for $49.99, generally about $10 off regular price. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WP%20F150_A_name_E_KATADYN%AE+Hiker%99+Water+Filter. This isn't the Hiker *Pro* filter, which provides identical filtration but includes quick connect fittings for the input and outgo hoses, which can be useful but will cost you another $25 if you buy the Pro version. The Hiker is a solid performer, outdone only by the Katadyn Guide imo for output of clean fresh water, good for approx 200 gallons per filter cartridge. I've used a Hiker Pro for 4 seasons of backcountry hikes and camping in the PNW, including filtering for groups including Scouts. I get tired of pumping but there's no disputing, the Hiker / Hiker Pro works like a charm and out-purifies (by volume) my older MSR filter pump.

My hiking backup (always at least two methods of getting clean water) are Katadyn Micropur water purification tablets, which I've used periodically on hikes just to use them up. For emergency preparedness I rotate some Micropur tablets into my bag and have an MSR filter in my bag just in case - I'm committed to keeping a store of water for my family, and we'll drink Scotch before I drink potentially chemical or waste contaminated filtered water. $50 for the Hiker gets me thinking it might be cheap enough to buy as a BOB backup. I was given a SteriPen for a birthday gift last year and have done no more than to test clean a bottle of water, then put it away in an earthquake kit - it works just fine, but the weight savings of 7 oz over the Hiker Pro just doesn't make relying on batteries for everyday filtering worth it to me, but ymmv.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Water purification - 08/02/08 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Lono
it works just fine, but the weight savings of 7 oz over the Hiker Pro just doesn't make relying on batteries for everyday filtering worth it to me, but ymmv.
Every method of purification consumes a resource that will run out eventually. (With the possible exception of boiling, although even there the fuel cost can be an issue.) Filters get clogged. Chemicals run out.

Batteries have the advantage that they can be recharged (eg from car or solar panels), or new ones bought almost anywhere (my Steripen uses AA).

Re: Water purification - 10/12/08 10:50 AM

Reviving an old thread...

I am ready to get serious about a foldable solar solution with the primary use being to charge batteries and possibly, if necessary, to directly power a SteriPEN or other small device. I wonder if it would be wise to buy two or three small panels which, when linked together, are equivalent to the output of one large panel. My thinking is that if I have only one panel and it fails, I'm out of business. With a multi-panel setup, there would be something to fall back on (assuming that something catastrophic didn't destroy everything). What say ye experts on the matter?

Once that's decided, pointers to decent panels at reasonable prices would be greatly appreciated. I suppose I would shoot for something around 40-50 watts of output.

I have absolutely zero knowledge on solar devices so thanks for any input that you might offer.
Posted by: sotto

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 02:25 AM

I have a Steripen Journey with the little smiley face display. It takes the guesswork out of knowing if the UV treatment was sufficient. I also called their tech support and inquired specifically about the quiescent current draw from the batteries when the unit is turned off and sitting there with the batteries installed. They told me it draws only a teeny tiny amount of current, on the order of tens of microamps (that's way way less than 1 milliamp). My Steripen was turned off and sitting in the back of my truck for weeks before I used it last time. It worked fine and gave me smiley faces after the required 90 second treatment for both the treatment efficacy and the battery charge status. I would refrain from removing and replacing the lithium batteries every time you use the unit because, unfortunately, I would say the weakest part of the entire device is the battery compartment cover. It is a bit on the flimsy side, and a little tricky to mount properly because there are two very small teeth along one edge that have to be engaged properly inside the battery compartment rim or the cover won't seat properly and be watertight.
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 02:59 AM

A proper way to filter water is pretty much the only thing (piece of gear) that I do not have covered already in my gear (not considering the Micropur MP1 tablets).

I am leaning towards the Katadyn Vario filter... straight forward filter, two filtering speeds, good reviews. The SteriPEN looks like a good idea but for some reason, i'm still not convinced.

The fact that the filter gives you good drinking water instantly is very appealing.

Boiling water looks simple enough, but it can get annoying. Especially after a tough segment where you would KILL for some water when you realize you are dry...

My 2 cents.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 11:27 AM

Now why on earth would their be any quiescent current draw on something like that? Do they have some sort of sensor on the darned thing that runs continously? The circuit should be completely interrupted.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: sotto
They told me it draws only a teeny tiny amount of current, on the order of tens of microamps (that's way way less than 1 milliamp)
If it's 30 microamps that's 0.03 milliamps. My unit uses 4 AA batteries, each of which should be around 24,000 mAH. So they should last 80,000 hours, which is about 9 years.

That figure of 0.03 was just a guess and could be off by a factor of several. The batteries themselves will have a shelf life even with no drain. There are probably non-linear effects involved too.

Quote:
I would refrain from removing and replacing the lithium batteries every time you use the unit
I agree, but I do think it's worth removing them for long-term storage.

(I've cut a plastic insert to break the connection, so I can keep the batteries inside the unit for their full shelf-life.)
Posted by: jimtanker

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 10:14 PM

Technology sux. Even when I take a pump(Hiker Pro) I still take a small bottle of bleach. 2-3 drops per liter will kills most of what ails you. Prefilter with a bandana. The small bottle that I have will last months.
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Water purification - 10/13/08 11:14 PM

Boiling still is best

Re: Water purification - 10/14/08 12:55 AM

[/quote]If it's 30 microamps that's 0.03 milliamps. My unit uses 4 AA batteries, each of which should be around 24,000 mAH. So they should last 80,000 hours, which is about 9 years.

That figure of 0.03 was just a guess and could be off by a factor of several. The batteries themselves will have a shelf life even with no drain. There are probably non-linear effects involved too. [/quote]

Actually, I inquired specifically about the quiescent current battery drain in the Steripen Journey that runs on two CR123 cells rather than the older version that runs off the AA cells.

Re: Water purification - 10/14/08 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
Boiling still is best

Maybe so but I prefer to have several options when it comes to water. The water compartment of my BOB includes a SteriPEN Adventurer with regular and rechargeable batteries (with solar charger), a Katadyn Vario filter, Katadyn Micropur tablets, straw type filters and boiling/fire starting supplies.

At home I keep a 2-4 day supply of bottled water as well as a Katadyn Drip Gravidyn. Knock on wood, our municipal water supply has always been very reliable and the reservoirs that feed it are nearby if distribution is interrupted.

Running out of potable water is not an option. smile
Posted by: BobS

Re: Water purification - 10/14/08 02:01 AM

Coming from a person that likes to boil any unknown source of water. Boiling works well to make water safe to drink, I love and use my Thermette for this; I used it this weekend when camping.

But boiling does nothing to improve the taste of water. It’s nice to have water taste like the water we all are use to drinking. A filter does this. I have and use a Katadyn Hiker filter, it’s going on 4-years old and it works great.

I’ve read several reviews of the Steripen, enough to see it has reliability problems. Before you buy one do a search for Steripen reviews to make sure it’s what you want.

Re: Water purification - 10/14/08 02:20 AM

I read a lot of those reliability reports, and it appeared a lot of the issues were due to crappy rechargeable batteries someone had the bad judgment to supply with the units. I don't use 'em; I use quality fresh CR123 lithium cells and have plenty of backups. I also read a lot of bad reports about the filter the company sells that screws onto the top of Nalgene bottles. Following the simple instructions, I find it works quite well to remove larger particulate matter before sterilizing the contents of the bottle. I have not found that the screw on filter is slow as some have (again, used as instructed).

Granted, there are many other nice ways to filter water, too.