June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 01:54 AM

Yep, they are edible.

-Blast
Posted by: BobS

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 02:12 AM

Yuck!!!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 02:18 AM

Nice one Blast, they don't look too bad with the wings and legs off.

I do not know though, there still bugs; you have brave kids, I know my girls would not eat them!

Mike

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 04:19 AM

Mmm, crunchy. Just sprinkle some cayenne on those, I'll bring over a jug of good hooch, and we'll have ourselves a time!

Those look a lot more like food than the drive-thru slop I got at the "clown place" a while ago.

Seriously, in wilderness or survival situations, there are many times more calories available at the bottom of the food chain than at the top.

Good for you, Blast.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 10:15 AM

No comment on how they taste? smile
Posted by: Blast

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 11:36 AM

They tasted like squirrel, kind of meaty-nutty in flavor.

-Blast
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 12:17 PM

Interesting... Any odd things you have been eating as of late?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 01:20 PM

Yummy! Maybe use popcorn oil to fry them, add a buttery flavor. One thing I remember from a AF survival school, "don't eat fuzzy bugs." Being able to fry them would be a definite plus. Raw bugs are not good...
Posted by: wolf

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 06:59 PM

I might be pursuaded to eat them after drinking half that jug of hooch mentioned by Dougwalkabout or if I were starving - other than that... You go Blast.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 07:38 PM

Good blog post, Blast.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 08:50 PM

wow... are there even junebugs were I live??
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 09:29 PM

Yet another great, highly entertaining blog Blast. I really enjoy reading your (mis)adventures. Don't know if I'm brave enough to try them when I don't have to, but at least I know how to gather and cook them if the need arrives. Assuming they are in my area locally.....maybe I'll try hunting up some just to see.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: dweste

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 06/30/08 09:48 PM

So, how do you prepare and cook junebugs?

I'm thinking you remove legs, wings and casings, and head - but I don't know if Blast would even bother with that.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 12:38 AM

Yup, there are...

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 01:36 AM

When you heat the June Bugs they kind of pop like popcorn. The wings and legs stick straight out away from the body so they are easy to grab (though small) and pull them off from the thorax.

I sauteed them in oil, but next time shocked I'll either toss them in a hot pan or roast them in the toaster oven. DW hid the popcorn popper... Native American just toss them onto hot coals. I might try that this weekend if I catch some on my camping trip.

-Blast, because God didn't give everyone equal senses of self preservation...

Posted by: SirJoel

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 12:20 PM

I can't believe nobody suggested coating them in chocolate?

But if you panfry them, lets add some onion and maybe a touch of garlic.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 01:06 PM

Some carmel might be right tasty...

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 02:39 PM

What is the right wine to serve with junebug?
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 02:59 PM

Since it is "dark meat," red wine would be called for, imo. But I almost always prefer red wine.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 05:33 PM

Do you have a favorite website or book on eating "bugs"?

Are any "bugs" actually good tasting?

Thanks.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 06:34 PM

Quote:
Are any "bugs" actually good tasting?

Blast in the East: Eating things in China

In my experience, crickets, grasshoppers, scorpions and the beetles I've tried are suprisingly good. The "worm" type creatures are a much more acquired taste. sick I haven't tried spiders, moths, termites or grubs yet.

There are a couple of websites I use as references but I'm too lazy right now to look them up. Google "eating bugs" and you'll get all sorts of links.

-Blast
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
In my experience, crickets, grasshoppers, scorpions and the beetles I've tried are suprisingly good. The "worm" type creatures are a much more acquired taste. sick I haven't tried spiders, moths, termites or grubs yet.

Plus, I saved a bunch of money on my grocery & exterminator expenses!

Fixed it for you, Blast. wink
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wolf
I might be pursuaded to eat them after drinking half that jug of hooch mentioned by Dougwalkabout or if I were starving - other than that... You go Blast.

My sentiments exactly. It took me a lot of Mezcal to eat the worm at the bottom of that bottle, so I'm not sure about this....

That's a delightful picture of Miniwether in the blog entry, Blast. Her shining face really tempers the shuddering I'm doing right now.
Posted by: thtimster

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 08:20 PM

I used to cook bugs with a magnifying glass when I was a kid, but I never ate any. Our dog, however, found them quite tasty.

Tim

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/01/08 08:59 PM

Quote:
That's a delightful picture of Miniwether in the blog entry, Blast.

DW wouldn't let me put up the picture of Miniwether showing off her mouthful of partially-chewed beetles. She was afraid we'd end up arrested by Child Protective Services.

It was a really good picture.

-Blast (Note to self, next time I go to Minnesota bring lots of tequila)
Posted by: clarktx

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 01:49 AM

So, I know that bugs have more protein than beef. Which begs the question: How many ounces of june bugs do you have to eat to get as much protein as you have in a 6 ounce steak?

Also, my wife, ever the detail hound, questions whether you could call it "meat". She also gets irritated when I call the edible part of a nut the "nut meat".

Feel free to email me the pic of Miniwether's munched bugs. I promise it will go no further.
Posted by: BobS

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: clarktx
So, I know that bugs have more protein than beef.

So does peanut butter and it’s a lot more appealing then bugs…

And probably taste better.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 02:31 AM

Hey Clark, it's about time you showed up here, welcome to the fire! People, let me introduce you to my partner in adventure, Clark! This guy actually enjoys hanging out with me in the woods, on the water, and in creepy old deserted buildings. Damn good reflexes on him, too.

To answer your question, according to this website 100g of june bugs have 13.4g of protein, 1.4 g of fat, 2.9g of carbs, 22.6mg of calcium and 3mg of iron. 100g of lean ground beef has 27.4g of protein, so you'd need about 10-12oz of june bugs to get the protein of your steak.

Tell K that "meat" is the proper term. Think, it's called lobster meat and crawfish meat. They are bugs, too.

-Blast

p.s. I'll e-mail the shot of Miniwether. I think the princess tiara she's wearing in the picture goes exceptionally well the tonuge covered in beetle goo.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 02:43 AM

Hi Clark, welcome to the fire!

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 03:23 AM

There is no right wine for anything...

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 03:27 AM

Now you're talkin'. Wine bad. Ta-killya good. And some has that worm in it, more goodies to munch on...
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 11:11 AM

Blast is living the good life... Talk about doing being just a big kid. And even better, getting his little ones to mimic him.

Why is it that wives just don't understand. Not all... just some...
Posted by: clarktx

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 12:18 PM

Hello Everyone smile

Yeah I should have been here sooner, it seems that this forum has a lot of good info. smile

Tell me, if you fry them on a high heat, when they are fresh and juicy, do they puff up like popcorn? That would be super cool.

By miniwether's 7th birthday party you won't have to spend a penny on food. (envisions big bowls of false onion, fried bugs being washed down with pine needle tea, etc)

Actually, that sounds like a good thing to do with the local primitive skills group any day.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 12:41 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 01:39 PM

Hi Clarktx,

Welcome to the group!

Mike

Posted by: thseng

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 01:46 PM

Blast, how about Japanese Beetles? Are they edible? Mine are organically grown and fed only the finest fresh grape leaves.

Re: June Bugs: The other dark meat - 07/02/08 02:49 PM

thseng,

Japanese beetle pupae are edible, but I'm not sure about the beetles themselves.

-Blast