Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave.

Posted by: Erik_B

Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 06:48 PM

While searching for multitool threads, i saw several post concerning the lack of a tool that can be used on the fasteners on the Leatherman products.
Well, problem solved. I recently got the Black and Decker Smartdriver, and among the numerous different bits was a little star-shaped bit that's just the right size for the bolts on my Wave. The only modification needed is to make a small hole in the center to accommodate the pin in the Leatherman screws.
Posted by: Evan

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 06:54 PM

Erik -

These are commonly known as security torx fasteners. If you do a search for Torx security bits, you should find a bunch that already come with the tiny hole in the center!
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 08:06 PM

Are you sure? Wave is a 5-sided security bit....torx is 6-sided.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Are you sure? Wave is a 5-sided security bit....torx is 6-sided.

Yes, the screws on the Wave are five sided. The standard Torx, including the security Torx, are six sided. The five-sided Torx are termed "Torx Plus" or "Security Torx Plus". I suspect the size is a #8 on the Wave.

Available here:
http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/716_IPR_serie.htm

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 10:03 PM

well, maybe they changed the design, but the ones on mine are definitely six-sided.

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 10:13 PM

Interesting. I got my Wave a few years ago. When the screwdrivers were regular blades instead of the quarter-inch bit holder. The screws on it are, assuming by eyes are working correctly and I can still count, five-sided.

When did you get your Wave?
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 11:25 PM

it looks pretty new....
Posted by: haertig

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
The screws on it are, assuming by eyes are working correctly and I can still count, five-sided.
Mine are five sided as well. My Wave is an older one, pretty near when they first came out (I think). Maybe 8 or 10 years ago?
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/25/08 11:43 PM

Ah, that is good news for new Wave owners...old style were unavailable 5-sided security screws. Leatherman seems to have come to their senses.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/26/08 12:27 AM

I wonder, are those bits hardened? If they are, drilling a little bitty hole in one might be intersting...

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/26/08 02:07 AM

Quote:
Poster: Art_in_FL
Subject: Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave.

Interesting. I got my Wave a few years ago. When the screwdrivers were regular blades instead of the quarter-inch bit holder. The screws on it are, assuming by eyes are working correctly and I can still count, five-sided.

When did you get your Wave?

within the past year, so i guess they changed the screws on the new ones
Posted by: Evan

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/26/08 03:26 AM

If so, simply heat till red hot then let air cool. Then drill away. When done, re-heat, quench in oil, then gently reheat till the steel just goes from amber to slightly blue (temper). Should work okay.

Though I'm near positive, my security bit set will have the correct bit.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tool for the fasteners on the Leatherman Wave. - 06/26/08 04:00 AM

Good luck, keep us posted...