Kerlix/ fake kerlix question

Posted by: climberslacker

Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 03:59 AM

Hey, first off, we seriously need to get a first aid section!

Now, I found a source for kerlix type guaze at only 89 cents and was wondering if it is any good, as it is in my kit right now. Is there a reason why it is so much cheaper that I just don't get?

HELP!!!
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 04:06 AM

Hi Climberslacker,

New guy here but I think I can answer your question. I'm an EMT and use a fair amount of Kerlix and non-branded gauze wrap. The only difference I've seen is the price. Something that a lot of people forget is that first aid supplies are only meant to be used as a first reponse item, they're not meant to last like a hospital dressing would. Not to mention, that if you use it in a truly emergent situation, when your patient gets to the ER, they're gonna tear all that bandaging right off anyway.

I work as a set medic on film and television sets and buy all of my own supplies, I find a lot of stuff at the .99 cent store works just fine.

Other stuff that I use from there, vet wrap, that's the stuff that works like an elastic bandage that sticks to itself. Elastic bandages, can't beat it for the price. Lip balm, sunscreen, hand lotion, etc. I always check the expiration dates and the contents of any medical stuff, so far I haven't any problems with any of the things I get there.

John E.

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 04:09 AM

Yeah, that is the site that I got 95% of the stuff for my troops FAK (a scout is thrifty) and it seems to be great! Like ace wraps for 85 cents or something like that!

Welcome Newguy! I love to have EMT's and other people who are well trained and experienced! I hope to learn a lot from you and that you learn a lot from us!
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 04:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I expect I'll be reading a lot more than I'll be writing but I like to share info when I can.

I've become quite interested in the whole psychology behind the idea of survival planning, I think it has to do with man's need to be in control over what seems like an increasingly chaotic world.

I hope to explore that side of things as I learn more about how to better prepare myself in the more practical means of survival and maybe get back into doing some camping and backpacking, which I've wandered away from over the past years.

John E.
Posted by: JIM

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 08:32 AM

Welcome to the forum!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 09:56 AM

JohnE, welcome! I look forward to your "control" analysis.

My take so far is that most of our survival planning is based on an acknowledgement that any sense of conrol is an illusion. We assume that our well-ordered lives could be upset by events beyond our control, and chose to consider how best to be prepared to deal with a range of out-of-contol eventualities.

A EDC. BOB, bug-in stash, survival retreat, etc. are each like parachutes - they just give us more chance to survive (and no guarantee) if the plane cannot land.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 11:42 AM

CS, you're looking at gauze rolls, not Kerlix there. Gauze rolls are thin - imagine unfolding a 4x4 so that it's only 1 layer thick, instead of the padded bandage it normally is. That's what a gauze roll is. Kerlix is a fluffier roll of gauze, whereas your budget rolls are "one-ply." Both work to hold bandages on just fine, but kerlix is more absorbant.

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 01:27 PM

No, the link that I gave you guys, I have that stuff currently in my kit, and it is definatly not like the guaze rolls in the kit, it seems like it may be thicker and is much bigger!
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 03:47 PM

Kerlix is a Kendall proprietary product, sort of a premium product. Used when you expect a lot of drainage, or want to put some pressure on the wound. Might be on sale cuz they have a new, improved version that is impregnated with an antiseptic, which prevents bacterial colonization of the bandage. Might be a wonderful improvement, might be a marketing ploy. Usually the dressing is changed a couple times a day, and the wound cleansed, so bugs on the bandages isn't a real big deal. Probably be a good thing to wrap the salmonella tomatoes in, tho.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Kerlix is a Kendall proprietary product, sort of a premium product. Used when you expect a lot of drainage, or want to put some pressure on the wound. Might be on sale cuz they have a new, improved version that is impregnated with an antiseptic, which prevents bacterial colonization of the bandage. Might be a wonderful improvement, might be a marketing ploy. Usually the dressing is changed a couple times a day, and the wound cleansed, so bugs on the bandages isn't a real big deal. Probably be a good thing to wrap the salmonella tomatoes in, tho.

Yeah - they started putting balconium cloride (I think that's it) in the bandage. I typically get 2-3 days before bandage changes
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/22/08 10:47 PM

polyhexamethylene biguanide, used in mouthwashes, swimming pool sanitizers and contact lens cleaning solution. Kills everything, doesn't hurt people...which is what they told us about pHisohex hand cleaner until folks with large areas of non-intact skin absorbed enough of it to seize, and what they told us about the hard plastic nalgene drinking bottles, and the Ford Pinto...forgive it, just the cynicism of an old, disillusioned nurse. The new kerlix is probably just fine.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/23/08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
CS, you're looking at gauze rolls, not Kerlix there. Gauze rolls are thin - imagine unfolding a 4x4 so that it's only 1 layer thick, instead of the padded bandage it normally is. That's what a gauze roll is. Kerlix is a fluffier roll of gauze, whereas your budget rolls are "one-ply." Both work to hold bandages on just fine, but kerlix is more absorbant.

I would suspect (although I don't know for a fact) based on the photo that actual Kerlix would be more absorbent than the budget stuff linked to, although both are 6-ply, not one-ply as you suggest.

The budget stuff probably is not prewashed/fluff-dried with finished edges, so it would likely create more loose ends and lint. Probably fine as a secondary dressing for the price, but personally I'd continue to use actual Kerlix (the Kendall brand) for any primary dressing.

I have to admit, the only negative thing I've ever heard regarding Kerlix is the price and/or local availability. There are tons of people selling sealed packages of Kerlix on eBay (from single rolls to multiple cases) and even with shipping charges, the cost per roll is consistently less than a buck.

Jim

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/25/08 11:27 PM

Thanks JIM, I found a guy on ebay selling 40 rolls of kerlix for 10 bucks... to me it sounds kind of suspect, as I am new to ebay... should I go for it?
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/26/08 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Should I go for it?

Not without seeing a picture of it, an e-mail from him stating the packages are all sealed (and not covered in an 1/8" of dirt and grime) and a decent positive feedback rating.

You also need to make sure it's the large size (4.5" x 4.1 yds) as they could be Kerlix Lite, small, or medium rolls.

Jim

Re: Kerlix/ fake kerlix question - 06/26/08 02:48 AM

oh, sorry paragon, I was reading a post from JIM on a differnet thread at the same time (tabs in firefox) and put "thanks JIM, instead of " THANKS Paragon!"