Carried but not used

Posted by: TeacherRO

Carried but not used - 06/21/08 04:28 PM

This is a place to note items carried but never used. As in, it might be time to re- think the equipment.

For me I've carried latex gloves for 5 years in my edc and never used them.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 05:46 PM

Just because you haven't used something, doesn't necessarily mean that you don't need it or won't at some point.

I think the whole purpose of being prepared is to carry those things that will help, even if you never wind up using them.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 07:29 PM

2m of wire, and the contents of my PSK (or SOL in the past few months). The FAK items haven't been used, but their predecessors were. :P
Posted by: Susan

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 07:36 PM

My experience has been that soon after you get rid of something, you need it. Mr. Murphy is watching, you know.

Sue
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 07:44 PM

I agree with your synopsis, Mike_H. In fact, I would like to add that there are some preparedness items that are carried and one hopes never to use, e.g. a firearm.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 08:15 PM

A few days ago it would have been some stainless steel wire carried around for 8 years. This week it was used to repair the lubricator for the chain of my motorcycle.
My FAK still is unused. So are some matches, a whistle and safety pins. These items would be hard to improvise so they stay even though I hope IŽll never need them.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Carried but not used - 06/21/08 10:26 PM

Interesting thread idea.

1) CPR face mask.
Fortunate enough to not had the necessity of using it, yet....

2) Match case with tinder.
Lighter has served any fire needs that have come up. So far....

3) PSK
Takes up the space in only one pocket and doesn't weigh much, but when I need it I'm really gonna need it!

4) Glow stick ...
Actually I haven't needed it but our friends that were out of power for a couple of weeks and a house full of family were glad to have all our stash from the hurricane box/car kits/ my edc bag....

... that's all that comes to mind for the moment.

A little redundancy never killed anyone (except when all the stuff in one's pockets weighed one down in the water and drowned one....)
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 12:05 AM

If your latex gloves are 5 years old; try pulling a pair on. You'll see what I'm getting at.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 12:09 AM

There are a lot of items I carry which I've never used for their intended purpose but have used for creative purposes.

I carry snare wire in my EDC kit. I've never need to set snares on my way to work downtown but I have used the wire to repair a ripped backpack strap.

Just another reason why I love multitaskers!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 12:46 AM

Always good to re-think the purpose for survival kit contents.

I-have-not-used-it-yet analysis may might propmpt a re-think on the more likely survival scenarios, but the scenarios and not the non-use should rule. Still want to cover the bases whether or not life has been kind to you and yours for a while.

Some gear also has a useful life and should be replaced periodically, but that is a different aspect of keeping your survival kits ready to serve their intended purposes.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 04:45 AM

"...e.g. a firearm..."

You beat me to it. I carried a firearm on duty for 31 years. Luckily never fired it except in training (plus one cow, and a few jackrabbits)...
Posted by: GameOver

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...e.g. a firearm..."

...plus one cow, and a few jackrabbits...

Uh oh, I had never thought about attack cows... a whole new topic to be concerned about! Does pepper spray work on them?

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 01:47 PM

"...Does pepper spray work on them?..

Good question. The ones (and yes, there was more than one) that tried to attack me I outmaneuvered in my trusty black and white. But the one who tried to do battle with a Chevy Blazer going 70+mph learned the hard way that a .357mag will do the trick...

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 02:12 PM

It probably would, but....

Cows are about the most stupid animal in the world over 25 pounds. They'd probably freak out, and run in a straight line. With my luck, it would be a heat seeking cow, so even dodging wouldn't help. Cows are half a ton or more walking, eating, pooping dumb and panicky. I wouldn't want to make the situation worse.

Besides, attack cows? That is out of Monty Python. The only ones that are likely to charge you are bulls- don't try to spray it, at the effective range of pepper spray it won't slow down before it hits you.

Re: Carried but not used - 06/22/08 08:12 PM

"...The only ones that are likely to charge you are bulls..."

And I am here to tell you, even a smallish bull can put a pretty good dent in the drivers door of a Dodge Polaris...
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Carried but not used - 06/23/08 12:30 PM

Mad cows??? LOL...
Posted by: Evan

Re: Carried but not used - 06/23/08 05:49 PM

I think that this is true for most of the gear I pack in my vehicle emergency kit. While some things are obvious candidates for replacement over time (antibiotic ointment that is date stamped, etc.) at what interval should some of the other items be replaced??

Posted by: nursemike

Re: Carried but not used - 06/23/08 08:00 PM

I worked with cattle in upstate NY for a number of years, assisting the old man, who was a vet and who was usually doing vile things to the cows while I held them. Got knocked down, kicked, dragged, stepped on and horn-whacked...but never bitten. Cows only got teeth on the bottom, and they are less intelligent than raven suggests. But then I ran across a discussion of cow-bite treatments by an Aussie ER nurse-apparently cow bites are a common injury in Oz. Who knew? Must have meaner cattle, along with the most poisonous snakes, insects, and sea creatures on the planet.

The old man's comment on sustaining cow injuries: "in order to work with cows, you got to be smarter than cows." Accurate, if not comforting.

Re: Carried but not used - 06/23/08 10:33 PM

Probably a crushed finger or hand.

Now... Sticking your hand in a cows mouth just seems like it has "Fosters" written all over it.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 12:56 AM

This guy was indicating crush injury with signifcant lacerations-apparently they are experimenting with an Angus-tyrannosaurus cross-breed-

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 01:17 AM

*face palm*
*shakes head*

Chewed on. By a cow.

It's either gene mods run mad, or someone passed out in the pasture. *laughs*
Posted by: duckear

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 01:27 AM

Ol momma cow with a calf can be down right dangerous.

I have had closer run-ins with my cows than my bulls.

Posted by: haertig

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
This is a place to note items carried but never used. As in, it might be time to re- think the equipment.
That would be my entire PSK (the Altoids tin pack I take while hiking). Never opened, except to verify everything is in good shape on occasion. I hope things stay like that. The things that I do use regularly are my EDC. That includes a pen, knife, AAA flashlight, money, Tylenol/Advil, cellphone, etc. The EDC stuff that I don't use regularly includes a whistle, a BIC lighter, a P-38 can opener and a very small backup knife. Also, a wallet with useful money, but also with seldom used credit cards, store discount cards, Blockbuster card, etc.

If I were to dump something seldom used from my EDC it would be the backup knife (I always carry a larger main knife), the P-38 and possibly the BIC. The whistle I'd keep for sure. Probably the BIC too, even though it is rarely touched.
Posted by: priest

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 04:34 PM

I try to keep the contents of my mini survival kit in mint condition as well. I check often to make sure all is well but I want the stuff to be in the best shape possible for when I need it in and emergency.

Other than emergency items I try not to carry anything that I don't have a need or use for. I think back up items are good(like matches) and a small back up blade is nice to name a few, but I am carful of overkill.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 11:03 PM

They take up so little space but here they are: knuckle bandages and butterfly closures.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 11:41 PM

Those come in handy for the areas that they are designed to cover. Nothing else will do as well without bandaging up an entire hand.

Re: Carried but not used - 06/24/08 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Those come in handy for the areas that they are designed to cover. Nothing else will do as well without bandaging up an entire hand.

I know their intended uses; this topic is about the items we carry but never use. As of June 24, 2008, I have never needed a knuckle bandage nor a butterfly closure, both of which I EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Carried but not used - 06/25/08 12:24 AM

I also EDC those same bandaids and sutures. I'll keep packing them because when you need them, there is no substitute.

I have needed them before,,,maybe it's a guy thing because of the many things that we fool with that women normally don't,,,,I don't know.

Re: Carried but not used - 06/25/08 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have needed them before,,,maybe it's a guy thing because of the many things that we fool with that women normally don't,,,,I don't know.

Cars, you mean? I do a few things like change oil but for something more involving I leave it to more capable hands.

Anyway, knuckle bandages and butterfly closures take up almost no space.

Jeanette Isabelle