Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 02:05 PM

link

2 missing women rescued in Alaskan wilderness

The Associated Press

Thu, Jun 19, 2008 (2 a.m.)

When Erica Nelson and Abby Flantz lost their way during an overnight hike into Denali National Park, they decided to keep hiking.

"We spent a couple of days (doing) 11 hours of hiking. We kept seeing more mountains, more ridges," recalled Nelson, 23.

"The terrain was a lot harder than we thought it would be, and it was farther than we thought it would be," added 25-year-old Flantz.

The two backpackers' misadventure spanned six days and concluded Wednesday evening when a rescue helicopter airlifted them from the rugged terrain.

A massive search for the women began Saturday soon after they were reported overdue at their summer jobs at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, a hotel outside the park some 180 miles north of Anchorage. Searchers scoured 100 square miles of open tundra, black spruce forest and hillsides of dense alder and willow.

The women slept in their tent at night and hiked during the day. At times, they melted snow for drinking water. They had no food when they were found.

Flantz, of Gaylord, Minn., told Anchorage television station KTUU after the rescue that Nelson had helped keep her spirits up.

"I thought everything was going to be fine, stay positive," said Nelson, of Las Vegas.

Two cell phone calls that Nelson made to her mother led to their rescue. Park officials didn't know the women had a cell phone with them.

Ellane Nelson received the first call at 9:15 a.m. Wednesday while listening to park officials give a briefing on the search. She heard her daughter say she and Flantz were alive and well.

The cell phone's battery was weak, but park officials were able to locate the signal coming from an area where they had been searching for more than four days. Park Service officials instructed the women to make themselves visible and signal any helicopters that flew overhead.

The agency dispatched two helicopters to pick up the women, but hours later there still was no sign of them.

"They were not where we thought they were," park spokeswoman Kris Fister said.

Hours later, the women called again. They then powered down the phone to conserve battery strength after sending text messages about what they were seeing and hearing. At one point, they reported seeing an airplane to the south of them.

After the second phone call, rescuers focused on a brushy area about five miles west of the Parks Highway, which connects Anchorage and Fairbanks.

A park plane spotted the pair at 4:22 p.m. and a helicopter was sent to pick them up.

They arrived about a half-hour later at the airstrip at park headquarters, where they joined family members and feasted on overstuffed deli sandwiches.

"They looked great. They were laughing and smiling," Fister said.

Nelson said she thought a lot about her sister while she was lost. She had tickets to fly Sunday night to Houston to be maid of honor in her sister's wedding on Saturday.

"The whole time I was just, `We got to keep going,'" Nelson said. "`I got to make it to her wedding.'"
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 02:13 PM

They kept their cool and didn't do anything stupid... If they had a signal mirror, I'm sure it would have helped a bit.

Always good to hear a story with a happy ending! I'd be curious as to what gear they had on them.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 02:30 PM

Quote:
When Erica Nelson and Abby Flantz lost their way during an overnight hike into Denali National Park, they decided to keep hiking.

"We spent a couple of days (doing) 11 hours of hiking. We kept seeing more mountains, more ridges," recalled Nelson, 23.

BUZZZZZZZZ, sorry, wrong answer, we have lovely parting gifts...
Posted by: dweste

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 02:55 PM

Admit you are lost. Stay put. Make yourself visible (small smoky fire, lay ouy belongings in X, etc). Dial 911. Don't be a hero.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 03:46 PM

Too bad they didn’t have a GPS of some sort, too. Would have made that phone call so much more clear. “We are alive and well and located at ###° ##’ ##”N ###° ##’ ##”W. Tell someone to come get us!”

Of course, the GPS probably would have helped with the whole getting lost thing in the first place, too.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 03:48 PM

yes - and gps units are cheap now. And light. and dirt simple to use -- at least for reading the numbers off the screen.

Teacher
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 03:59 PM

Lost. Kept going? Kept going *where*?!

-john
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 04:19 PM

I think they could probably have done several things better than what they did. I think once you first are not sure about your location and the right direction, there is a tendency to think you can go a short way and get yourself out. Heck, it's always worked for me. In this case, they did enough and got lucky enough to be alive.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 05:01 PM

Quote:
Too bad they didn’t have a GPS of some sort, too. Would have made that phone call so much more clear. “We are alive and well and located at ###° ##’ ##”N ###° ##’ ##”W. Tell someone to come get us!”

They probably thought that the mobile phone they had would be enough. Apparently it was. Hmm I wonder if they even had a map and compass. Even if they did, they obviously showed they didn't have a clue how to use them as they wandered aimlessly around looking for a mobile phone signal.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 05:58 PM

Considering the Garmin Geko (non-mapping, very small and lightweight) can be had for $115 through Amazon, it's a fairly inexpensive nav item to take on a trip.
Posted by: red

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 10:10 PM

Another story I read indicated they had a map and were following a river or stream on the map. If I'm hiking in Denali, I'll have a map, compass, Gps, and PLB! Serious country up there!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 10:24 PM

I'm a big Geko fan ... I only wish it had the high sensitivity receiver so that I could be more sure that I'd get a fix in heavy forest cover.

Even moderate woods will cause my Geko 201 to loose the fix. My GPS 60CSX just laughs at such situations - even giving a strong fix in my basement!!

One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings. Declination can be as much as 20-30 degrees in Alaska. In that case they'd be much better off simply following the GPS's compass tool - whether it has an electronic compass or not.

Of course a Personal Locator Beacon would have made VERY short work of their whole problem. I believe in PLB's. I bought one and carry it with me when out in remotish areas. And of course, even with a PLB one still has to be geared up to be found (signalling) and to survive long enough to get rescued (first aid, shelter, fire, water, ...).

Ken K.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 10:38 PM

I'm not a fan of using a GPS electronic compass (Geko 301) because they use a lot of battery. Much better IMO to watch the compass course as you are walking and use that as a virtual compass. Comparing that course with a mag compass should give you the correct declination to apply if you aren't sure.

IMO the strongest attribute of the Geko family is size; they're small enough to EDC (smaller than many cellphones) but they can give a precise location to a 911 operator if the situation requires.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 10:48 PM

I think Ken meant use the GPS to determine the bearing, then use the magnetic compass to follow that bearing.

Quote:
One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings.

-john

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 10:54 PM

As a one time thing to determine declination, that can work too. While the GPS internal electronic compass is a magnetic compass, it has a declination table and allows you to select between true North and Magnetic North display. Easier would be to just look at what declination it is using when you select magnetic. It's easy to forget to turn the electronic compass off and then you lose battery life. Another nice thing though is that it's easy to carry a few spare AAA batteries.

Geez, it's been a while since I used that function, forgot a lot and had to turn it on and play with it a bit, going through all the menu options. It's good to be at least minimally familiar with your gear. wink
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 11:28 PM

I'm glad that they were found alive.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/19/08 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
As a one time thing to determine declination, that can work too. But it's easy to forget to turn the electronic compass off and then you lose battery life. Another nice thing though is that it's easy to carry a few spare AAA batteries.

Does it need the electronic compass to show bearing? Seems like it could just compute the bearing from one coordinate to another.

I suppose it depends on how they implemented it.

-john
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 12:26 AM

Quote:
One thing to remember is that improper use of a magnetic compass (without properly adjusting for magnetic declination) can make a mess of following GPS goto waypoint bearings. Declination can be as much as 20-30 degrees in Alaska. In that case they'd be much better off simply following the GPS's compass tool - whether it has an electronic compass or not.

I never really use a GPS for the calculation of bearings or azimuths, I only ever use the GPS just to record a positional fix directly associated with the OSGB grid paper map (regarded by myself as cheating, but is definitely useful when the occasional resection is impossible i.e. in a whiteout, fog or darkness and thickly wooded areas) as the navigational azimuths are done using just map and compass work only. The magnetic/grid/true north variance or declination is just calculated or noted prior to compensating for that variance with the azimuths being taken from the paper map directly. The same applies for any visual azimuths made using the compass when this azimuth is transferred to the paper map.

The Garmin Etrex provides a North reference in its firmware using the following types of variance from True North whereby Magnetic North is 5 degrees West and Grid North is 1 degrees West (for OSGB datum) for my current location. A User magnetic declination can also be entered. The GPS can then account for users who are navigating using a normal compass and not having to take into account the magnetic declination. The User of the GPS will of course still have to have an understanding of the difference between True, Magnetic and Grid North actually is. Not knowing that difference and how the GPS is setup in its firmware could cause some considerable error in navigation if a GPS and ordinary compass are used together in conjuction. For example the Etrex GPS might have been setup with a User magnetic/true north declination of say -180 degrees. The GPS may well be telling you to go North whilst your ordinary compass is pointing you South.

Does anyone know if the Etrex calculates the Magnetic/True/Grid North declinations from its own current position and time? The User manual doesn't say how it calculates the North References. This could be critical especially around the north and south magnetic polar regions for producing accurate azimuths from the GPS itself as the magnetic declination will shift rapidly with changes in position and time throughout the year.

Edit - I've just looked up the accuracy of the electronic compass built into the higher spec Garmin models. Accuracy is a stated +-5 degrees. So for many areas in the world relying on the electronic compass is just as pointless as not compensating for the Magnetic/True North declination in the first place.

Posted by: bsmith

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 12:58 AM

i seem to recall recently reading, here i think, that when lost, contrary to widely-accepted belief, following a river downstream is not necessarily a good idea.

from the ap account:

" They brought a compass and a map but still lost their bearing, mistaking one river for another. They tried to follow the river, but that proved impossible many times, Flantz said. "

in my dayhikes, i've seen many stream dropoffs that would cause me to act like bear grylls, if lost and following a stream downstream. for me, no thanks.

just my $0.02.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 01:05 AM

If I got lost I'd be inclined to go to high ground first if only to maybe get my bearings.
Posted by: Emp

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: red
Another story I read indicated they had a map and were following a river or stream on the map. If I'm hiking in Denali, I'll have a map, compass, Gps, and PLB! Serious country up there!

+1 on that! I spent 18 days in Denali one spring and we got over a mile off course due to a short but powerful snowstorm blowing up and we could get occasional glimpses of the road!
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 05:12 AM

I'm afraid I must delete this entire thread and ban all posters immediately.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 05:31 AM

O.K. I thought I might get some flurry of PMs. Additional accounts stated the girls had peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars. Now, we all know this is NOT on the list of approved ETS survival foods; MRE's, Mainstay,My Fruitcake, Beef jerky or Frenchy's wine. And peanut butter should have brought trophy sized brown bears in a savage charge no OUTDOOR LIFE magazine cover could duplicate.And they had no survival firearm! I bet they probably had those girly, pink scaled SAKs on them though with the mascara applicators.Oh well, some Los Angeleez writer is probably working on a teevee script right now with Britney Spears and Paris Hilton who drive off Bart's successor by playing back a cellphone message from Madonna with today's kabbala message.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 05:36 AM

Im sure you mean that they had this MAK (Miss army knife) with them!

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 12:06 PM

all things considered, i think they may have had this one.

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
If I got lost I'd be inclined to go to high ground first if only to maybe get my bearings.

yes, that was thought to be the better option - to stay on the ridge lines - better lines of sight, better chance to read the coming weather, better chance of seeing and being seen by potential airborne rescuers.

Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 01:55 PM

"Denali [/b] Princess[b] Wilderness Lodge"?? The Princess Lodge, in Alaska? Is that for real? What clientèle are they catering to? Shouldn't they be required to take a Hiking Safety 101 course from Cinderella or Snow White before they can leave the lodge?

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 04:05 PM

Since we've mostly been reacting to the news reporting which tends not to give much information and also color the account, I thought I'd try to find some more details.

WHERE:

Quote:
Rangers estimate the women logged at least 20 miles before they were picked up by a helicopter crew outside the northeastern side of the 9,400-square-mile park, Fister said.

Quote:
The backpackers left Thursday from the Savage Creek checkpoint just 15 miles from the park entrance,

Quote:
They were spotted by other hikers a mile off the road before they vanished.

MAPS

PREPARATIONS:

Quote:
The women said they each packed only bare essentials, such as two [peanut butter] sandwiches and granola bars, thinking that would be enough for their short trek. They brought a compass and a map but still lost their bearing, mistaking one river for another. They tried to follow the river, but that proved impossible many times, Flantz said.

Quote:
At night they slept in a tent.

So they did have a map and compass, some food, and a tent.

Quote:
drank river water or melted snow

We can probably imply from this they either had a stove or ability to make fire.

Quote:
The backpackers had a permit to camp in the Mount Healy wilderness unit and their intended destination required a crossing of the Savage River.

If they filled out a permit, it is implied they declared where they were going and at least some general aspect of their timeline.

TERRAIN:

Quote:
"There were steep hills, so we had to get away from them and there was this high brush we had to push through,"

Quote:
Searchers scoured a 100-square mile search area that includes dense alder and willow, some black spruce forest, but also miles of open tundra.

WHAT THEY DID:

Quote:
The days wore on and they rationed their food, but ran out of water and drank river water or melted snow. Hiking exhausted them, but they trudged on when the weather was good, hoping their destination was over the next bend. At night they slept in a tent.

Quote:
The only wildlife they saw, however, was a porcupine.

Well, that was one meal missed.

Quote:
they had no food when found.

Quote:
they regularly clicked on their cell phone until they finally found reception that led to their rescue.

Quote:
After the second cellphone call, they powered down the phone to save battery strength and text-messaged instead.

Quote:
The last couple of days it rained, so they mostly stayed in the tent, conserving their waning energy.

Sounds like due to the food situation they were running out of steam.

Quote:
They found no indication that the women had left the park but were puzzled that no clothing or gear had been found, or that the women had not somehow signaled the three helicopters or park airplane that flew overhead.

Not sure what 'puzzled that no clothing or gear had been found' was supposed to mean (they assumed they were eaten by bears?).

Quote:
At one point, they saw an airplane to the south, Fister said.

Be interesting to know if they had attempted to signal and if so, how.

SUMMARY:

Pros:

- They appeared to be prepared enough in terms of clothing and shelter. They spent six days out there with rain and were still in good shape.
- They did declare where they were going and when (at least to some extent).
- They did have a map and compass.
- They maintained a positive outlook.

Cons:

- They didn't prepare for unexpected issues.
- They underestimated the terrain and/or overestimated their capabilities.
- They got lost and appeared to be unable to get unlost.
- They appeared to be at the end of their rope when they ran out of food.
- They were not successful in signaling the search craft.
- As they wound down, it isn't clear that they did anything to help themselves get found.

QUESTIONS:

- I'm getting a hint that they had a strategy regarding getting unlost. It would be helpful to understand this better to see if it was viable.
- Were there lost food gathering opportunities (other than the porcupines)?

LINKS:

(sorry, I think I missed a few)

yahoo news seattle times
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/20/08 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
The Princess Lodge, in Alaska? Is that for real? What clientèle are they catering to? Shouldn't they be required to take a Hiking Safety 101 course from Cinderella or Snow White before they can leave the lodge?

Snow White would be a better choice. She had to actually survive in the woods.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: nurit

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/21/08 02:16 AM

Good point!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/21/08 02:55 AM

Before we just relegate ths story to the dustbin of history, why don't we consider what we can learn, what if anything these women did right.

I have not researched the story beynd what I have read on this thread, but it suggests to me some positives:

they stayed together
they avoided fatal hypothermia or dehydration
they used their communication gear
they did not panic
they kept their morale up

What other things can we detect from their story that we should acknowledge are part of a good reaction to finding yourself lost?

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/21/08 05:42 AM

O.K. pink SAK jokes aside, there are now two wiser hikers out there who will be making some improvements in gear and knowledge. And, like a person who 'gets religion' or a customer with a good/bad retail experience they will share it with at least 10 more hikers. Personally,I'm going to make another fruitcake for the BOB.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/21/08 01:44 PM

Going way up the thread to Russ' comment "I'm not a fan of using a GPS electronic compass (Geko 301) because they use a lot of battery.":

A while back someone at Groundspeak forums** did some power consumption measurements (in mAmps) using a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX with fresh alkaline batteries. Here are some of the results:

backlight off, WAAS off, electronic compass off: 69 mAmps
backlight off, WAAS on, electronic compass off: 70 mAmps
backlight off, WAAS on, electronic compass on: 70 mAmps
everything off - including GPS receiver: 98 mAmps (??)
everything off, backlight on: 235 mAmps (!!!!)

So from his measurements the use of the electronic compass made measureable difference in current draw. Pretty much the same for WAAS The backlight is the big battery killer.

Another person on Groundspeak did the same measurements with an eTrex Venture CX w/ fully charged rechargable batteries and found similar results - but couldn't measure an electronic compass since it didn't have one:

backlight off: 77.4 mAmps
backlight medium: 144 mAmps
backlight high: 220 mAmps
no measureable difference w/ WAAS on/off

I found this very enlightening.

**From http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.p...p;#entry3123403
Posted by: raven397

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/22/08 03:13 AM

Actually that lodge is operated by Princess Cruises, which brings masses of group tours through Alaska in the summer.
Posted by: raven397

Re: Alaska: 2 lost hikers rescued - 06/22/08 03:16 AM

Some details appear in a story in the Anchorage Daily News, at
http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/441825.html