March or Die

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

March or Die - 06/08/08 04:50 PM

I just wasted a few minutes of my life reading another post and thread, deleting a member and the thread(s) involved. Life is short people.We have very simple rules. If anyone cannot follow the rules they can drop out of the column marching to Fort Zinderhoff anytime. Snoopy will fall out to deliver the Coup De' Grace.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: March or Die - 06/08/08 08:38 PM

Are Fort Zinderhoff and Fort Zinderneuf near each other?
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: March or Die - 06/08/08 08:48 PM

I think I know what thread it was... Not sure which final post put it over the edge tho or who got deleted...
Posted by: jasond

Re: March or Die - 06/08/08 09:02 PM

I did get to read the post before it got deleted and it was not worth the time I wasted to read it. Just a bunch of complaining about people on this forum living in neverland and a bunch of other crap. You did not miss much.

Re: March or Die - 06/08/08 10:47 PM

Yup, sounds like the post I thought... Such and such a knot is better than so and so. Etc... etc...

People have got to remember that if you ask for opinions, you'll get them... Good and bad...
Posted by: BobS

Re: March or Die - 06/08/08 11:12 PM

Why does all the interesting things happen while I’m out working? It’s not right that I missed it…….
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 12:15 AM

Hmmm. I don't know and from the looks of it I don't want to know. The end!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 12:30 AM

All I know is, it gave me another headache...
Posted by: leemann

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 12:41 AM

The End.. Nuff Said

Lee
Posted by: DFW

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 01:04 AM

All that over a KNOT ??????? Whew!
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: DFW
All that over a KNOT ??????? Whew!

As I recall, it was over a "very small cake, on which the words 'EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 02:10 AM

"...marked in currants..."

Ya gotta watch those currants...
Posted by: Blast

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 02:53 AM

Quote:
very small cake, on which the words 'EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants."

ROTFLMAO!!! The next time I decide to quit a job I'll have to stop at the baker first.

-Blast
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 03:28 AM

I would think that leaving the last posts, temper tantrums, and the creative responding commentary would be instructive. Nothing is quite as instructive of what not to do and the incorrect path as finding rotting corpses along the way.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 03:46 AM

I defer further comment on the square knot to Mors Kochanski's opinion. Personally, inspite of owning the obligatory paracord, I have a unwrapped coil of vintage, genuine, philipine Manila that left the decommissioned cutter Minnetonka on a midwatch in 1977 for my own BOB. And as the Dean of horsepacking writers, Joe Back wrote " when you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." I learned the comparative morallity of knots on Tillamook Bay in 1975. A winter flood sent a drowned cow floating out in the bay. Harbour Master Benny Larsen(y) decided it was a hazard to navigation ( and tourism.) So I had to go tow it in with my beloved MLB 36535. My CPO wouldn't let me take my rifle out and just bang a few .375 open sea cocks into it. So we took it in an alongside tow with four lines secured to the four now rigid legs. I got it to the harbour and tied it off to an unused slip, figuring the dairy was now responisble. Old Benny howled at my CPO about the slips being reserved for registered vessels. So I went down with some spraypaint and gave the cow some numbers and a license sticker on one hoove. No go! and I had to winch the cow into the back of the station utility truck. By now the cow was riper than Tillamook Cheese, which I still abhor, and as an aside a reason I never bought any Martindales from Cutsforth in that same local. I was pretty fed up, and tossed some old manila from the bosun's locker over the corpse and tied off with some granny knots. It really stank and I wasn't in the mood to do McNamara's lace or any other fancy work. I was going down the PCH for the city dump, wishing it was the stretch at Malibu instead when everything gave way. I heard a loud bump-splat! and pulled over a safe and sane 300 meters down the road in the dense fog. I could hear J brakes and see the lights of a big Peterbuilt logging truck hit the deceased. Soon after one of the two city sherrifs of Garibaldi rolled up, the ex navy one who hated coasties. He was in a real fix, should he cite the driver and irritate that big Oregon extractive industry, or trace the cow and cite the owner of that one? He wavered, and waved the truck on and retrieved a now bloody and putrescent head with plastic ear tag extant and placed it into a evidence bag.The rest of the cow soon vanished into seagull gullets, racoons and transients thumbing down the yellowbrick road to the Emerald City ( L.A.)I slowly slipped back unseen to my base like a Unterzeeboot Kapitain of old, resolved to learn the Trucker's hitch. I never really did, somebody invented and marketed ratcheting tie downs soon after. So, the moral is: If you decide to use sqaure knots, don't have a cow.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 03:50 AM

Now that is a sea story that I can believe since it was a Coastie who was involved!!!!! Semper Paratus, Chris!!!!!

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Old Benny howled at my CPO about the slips being reserved for registered vessels. So I went down with some spraypaint and gave the cow some numbers and a license sticker on one hoove. No go!

Now that is comedy!!!

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
... were beautifully marked in currants."

Classic...
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 12:38 PM

Thank-you. I'll endeavor to come up with other books I can quote from.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 01:18 PM

"...he has a bad back..."

You hear right. 'Specially today...

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 01:27 PM

Next time, soon as you see a floater, zip out, drag it into someone elses jurisdiction (ie a pier/wharf/boat ramp) without them knowing, and boogie. Then it becomes their problem. Kinda like the way LAPD used to try to move a couple of crashed vehicles into our jurisdiction on Imperial Hwy (six lanes of traffic, four of them city, two county)...
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 03:51 PM

My favorite portion…

When he offended someone else: “They were only offended by it because they chose to be offended by it. People need to learn to have a thicker skin…” or some-such to that effect.

When he got reprimanded soon after: “I’m offended! I’m leaving!”

Geez, what was that about “choosing” to be offended and having a thicker skin? Hello?

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 04:05 PM

Just shaking my head...
Posted by: KG2V

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Old Benny howled at my CPO about the slips being reserved for registered vessels. So I went down with some spraypaint and gave the cow some numbers and a license sticker on one hoove. No go!

Now that is comedy!!!

No - that's Cowmedy
Posted by: Blast

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 05:48 PM

Quote:
No - that's Cowmedy

And THAT's a screen and keyboard covered in Diet Coke!

-Blast

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 06:06 PM

Rules for snacking:

1.You do not eat in the emergency room, because of the things that might come from the environment and wind up in your mouth.

2.You do not eat in the lab, because of the things that might come from the environment and wind up in your mouth.

3. You do not eat in front of the computer because of the things that might come from your mouth and wind up on your keyboard.

Posted by: bigmothertrucker

Re: March or Die - 06/09/08 06:34 PM

I caught that rant too. He said nothing about being offended. Appeared to me that he was more fed up with being overmoderated by the moderators than he was offended. You may have also noticed that he was not removed from the forum, he asked to be removed. I am not picking up for the guy. I thought he was a little on the loopy side but hey, he didnt like the rules and decided to move on. Cant find no fault with that.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 04:52 PM

Freedom of the press belongs to the guy who owns the press. If you don't like the rules here, go to another website, or start your own. There are only about a couple of million of them out there. These administrators and moderators put in a lot of volunteer time keeping this site the type of site DR wants and we enjoy. Since he's paying the freight, he gets to call the shots.

I think the moderators are doing a great job and don't get nearly enough credit. Thanks guys.

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
ummmmm....what?

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this...

Yeah, pretty much the moderators do what they do to prevent flame wars. This is to be a peaceful discussion... You can disagree with people's opinions, but do so, then move along.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 06:14 PM

That's what the ignore button is for.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 07:34 PM

/me wonders who is ignoring me.

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 08:01 PM

Besides, the fact is that this forum is open for anyone to read without registering an account. Anyone and everyone can get a fair idea of what is acceptable and what is not simply by taking the time to read the forum, not to mention the clear and explicit rules sum it up rather well.

Taking the effort to register an account and contribute to the forum should be a reasonable indication that you accept and enjoy the forum as it is. Yet, some people decide that it will be more fun to register an account just to complain about how things are run than to simply hop onto Google and shop around for a forum that is more acceptable to their liking. Or could it be that there is no other forum that accepts the bull they expect to be acceptable?

For people who do not like having moderators and civil discussion around, may I suggest alt.* newsgroups instead? You may find the completely unregulated nature of newsgroups more to your liking.

Personally, I would like to thank the admins here for the job they do. They are part of the reason I enjoy this forum as much as I do.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 08:33 PM

I strongly agree with JCWohlschlag!!!
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 09:02 PM

I agree with the foregoing and wiish to add a comment.

While the moderators here do a good job, they have also done a heck of a job of creating a community that is ready to police itself. When someone seems to get or be getting out of line, I've noticed that other members will readily post and comment in a way that is a defence of the standards set for the community. And that for most of the regular members, a word from others is enough to end it.

That says something for the whole community, but things do not get to be that way without leadership.

Re: March or Die - 06/27/08 11:55 PM

Dan,

You make a good point. Those members that want to keep this forum running smoothly definitely want to lend a hand and help "moderate" the discussions.

I can honestly say that there are not many tight knit forums like this one. Definitely not with the same subject matter!

Mike

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 12:09 AM

Moderators keep me from getting so many headaches. I love 'em. If you don't like them, go play somewhere else.

ps: non-cap rambling gives me a headache...

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 03:23 AM

Thanks tons to the moderators for all they do here.
And to OBG Agreed.
Lee
Posted by: bsmith

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 04:48 AM

agree w/above.

seems like some folks come here just looking to get erased.

Posted by: bsmith

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 02:20 PM

i rest my case.

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 02:37 PM

Since you seem so opposed to the reasonable order and restrictions we have here, I really don't see why you bother. I'll just assume you are looking to be banned and accommodate you for a week. You are welcome back after that if you decide to become a member of the community, but I sort of doubt you will, but...

Bye!

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 04:19 PM

Hallelujah....and Amen-

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 05:25 PM

Completely inappropriate posts.

We must remember that we have people of varying ages reading these posts.

I, myself, have been called a hick many times. I grew up in the mountains of PA. Our property ran right next to state game lands. I am quite comfortable heading out into the woods with very little. Is this the smartest thing to do? Nope. Not worth tempting fate. Once you give me a little equipment, I'm that much safer and more prepared.

Can't get much worse than having D.R. wield the ban hammer. ;-)

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 06:23 PM

You are partially correct. I do maintain… “Mein haupten.” (Yes, I had to look that up on Google Translate because, no, I do not speak German. I was born in Southern California, thanks.) I follow the rules as best I can because I choose to. I agreed with the rules when I created my account because I consider the rules to be reasonable. I follow any “orders” of the admins and moderators because I have yet to see any orders from them that are out of line or unreasonable in any way.

If either of those conditions changes for the worse, my decision to participate here might also change for the worse. It is as simple as that. Fortunately, it is also an unlikely scenario.

So obviously the admins and moderators do not control my life. They only control my presence on this forum which, coincidentally, is their job.

Like I stated before, the admins and moderators here do a darn good job in my opinion. In fact, they do a good job with a lot more leniency and patience than what I would give, hence the reason you have made it to 18 posts. Congratulations!

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 07:27 PM

It makes me wonder exactly what sort of person would willingly and with full knowledge of the rules and atmosphere go into a situation and then complain about the rules and atmosphere being too confining.

To what end would one do this?

Certainly he couldn't be so deluded as to think he is 'bringing freedom' to the regulars, the downtrodden masses 'yearning to breath free', in the stultifying and oppressive atmosphere of ETS. I don't see this forum as being oppressed by an authoritarian regime. I have to assume everyone comes here of their own free will and can leave when they see fit.

Is this person nursing a persecution complex? A weak personality that takes rejection as a badge of being misunderstood, different, more free, and somehow, superior? Cultivating a petulant and irritated 'rebel without a cause' affect both for the benefit of the audience and to cultivate their own self-image?

Imagine if someone was to come to you and say that they go to sites on the internet with the express purpose of irritating people until they get banned. And they say they do this so they can feel good about themselves. Assume you were going camping. Is this the sort of person you want to take with you? In a potential survival situation is this the type you want around?

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 07:41 PM

One could say that a survival skill is the ability to get along with people. If you were to go into a situation and rub everyone the wrong way, you can easily figure out who would get "voted off the island"...
Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 07:42 PM

I prefer "booted off the Island" smile

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 07:46 PM

Personally, I am not going to waste my time responding to courierdebois anymore, he is just looking to pick a fight with anyone over anything...

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Is this the sort of person you want to take with you? In a potential survival situation is this the type you want around?

Excellent point. It truly does fly in the face of the “adapt to your environment” survival mentality. Aimlessly complaining about how much the environment or situation you find yourself to be a part of usually doesn’t do much to improve your circumstances. It goes back to the first thing you should do in a survival situation: S.T.O.P. Apparently this S.T.O.P. technique also applies to minor undesirable situations as well as life-threatening ones… apparently the ‘S’ can also stand for ‘Shut up.’

Re: March or Die - 06/28/08 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
One could say that a survival skill is the ability to get along with people. If you were to go into a situation and rub everyone the wrong way, you can easily figure out who would get "voted off the island"...

Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
I prefer "booted off the Island" smile

Perhaps it could be phrased as: 'First to get the short straw when the food runs out'.

Re: March or Die - 06/29/08 12:04 PM

Nice...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: March or Die - 06/29/08 12:52 PM

The ignore option is truly a wonderful thing.

Re: March or Die - 06/29/08 01:45 PM

I love that option too, you play by the rules or else.

Lee

Re: March or Die - 06/29/08 10:32 PM

Boycott is good too...

Re: March or Die - 07/14/08 03:36 PM

Chris, you must have been really fast to remove courier... Saw that he posted something (probably a parting blow) but his account was terminated.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: March or Die - 07/14/08 06:19 PM

Timing is everything....