Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container?

Posted by: Schwert

Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container? - 07/15/02 09:49 PM

I found this aluminum capsule at REI this weekend. It does not seem particularly sturdy but I bought one to use as a Vaseline/Cotton Ball tinder container (US$3).<br><br>This alongside a BSA HotSpark on a key ring would make a good, small set. I have not filled mine yet, but I think I can probably get 4-5 cotton balls inside.<br><br>http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pr...grfnbr=10642126
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container? - 07/16/02 02:10 AM

Try chapstick and cotton or chapstick and a tampon. No need for a container.

Re: Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container? - 07/16/02 12:56 PM

You might get more mileage out of it if you fill it with pure sterno (no cotton). To use, dunk a pine needle (or small stick)in to extract a small amount of sterno, spark the gooey pine needle, and use to kindle your fire.

Re: Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container? - 07/17/02 05:07 PM

Looks like it would work well for a number of uses including water purification. I prefer to keep a mini kit packaged in an Altoids tin with me. It fits easily in a pocket and has the basics, including a keychain SAK.

Re: Keyring waterproof capsule, Vaseline Tinder container? - 07/17/02 06:10 PM

Longbow,<br><br>I had not thought of an unbreakable waterproof and airtight container for Potable Aqua. The tube is anodized aluminum so the reactivity to Iodine vapor should be low. I normally carry a full bottle of Potable Aqua in my Vest pocket, I may get another one of these capsules and try it out with Potable Aqua.<br><br>The Bison Designs web site shows 2 sizes of these capsules. REI only currently has the small version.<br><br>I stuffed my capsule this morning with 4.5 Vaseline cotton balls and added it to my EDC keyring with the BSA HotSpark, Leatherman Micra and a Stainless Steel Pill container.

Warning - 07/17/02 07:53 PM

The idea of putting iodine tablets in an aluminum capsule was floated a while back and the information that came to light was very interesting: iodine reacts voilently with aluminum. I would not recommend storing Potable Aqua in the aluminum capsule. Do a search for more details.

Re: Warning - 07/17/02 08:21 PM

Thanks for the warning. My thoughts were chlorine. Any facts on if either liquid bleach or chlorine tablets will react to the aluminum?

Re: Warning - 07/17/02 08:40 PM

Here is the thread with some actual aluminium/iodine info:<br><br>http://www.equipped.org/wwwthreads/print...amp;type=thread<br><br>Sounds like Chris lost some eyebrows doing this!<br><br>I know that one of the magic campfire approaches is iodine and aluminium dust with water. I was sort of hoping that anodized aluminium may be able to take the iodine vapor. I probably will not try this out just yet:)<br>