Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB

Posted by: el_diabl0

Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 05:41 PM

I wish I could afford a pair of Armani Quadline Skates for my BOB.

Has anyone considered adding skates (as opposed to a bike) to their vehicle kit?
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 06:21 PM

Clearly I have not been keeping up.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 06:24 PM

Retro-neato-cool...or something.

The last time I saw 'strap on' roller skates They were by Fisher Price and my cousin's kid was the coolest kid on the block.

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Retro-neato-cool...or something.

Earlier the term was "tight." Now that I am out of high school, I am out of the loop.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 06:36 PM

Looks like a very expensive way to get a broken ankle. One pebble/stone/twig and its all over but the crying and fixin' yourself up with the contents from your BOB. So much for being mobile. I'll take first class walking over slick-looking rollerskating any day. Besides, I can't skate.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 07:37 PM

dang, they're sold out....

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Looks like a very expensive way to get a broken ankle. One pebble/stone/twig and its all over but the crying and fixin' yourself up with the contents from your BOB. So much for being mobile. I'll take first class walking over slick-looking rollerskating any day. Besides, I can't skate.

That's how they get you. Italian Leather Armani ankle braces...sold seperately of course.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 07:58 PM

I'm thinking the physics of rollerskating while wearing a backpack would take a lot of getting used to. It would really throw off your balance leading to disaster. Add trying to defend yourself any you'd probably just end up being the coolest looking corpse on the block.

-Blast
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 08:09 PM

Skateboard might be a good combo; works as a striking instrument or shield if you really have to.

However, if you're not in an urban environment, skates or skateboards won't work well.

Plus, I think a lot of the forum members would look pretty silly wearing their mandatory 5-sizes-too-large-pants while boarding around.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 08:31 PM

I can't imagine a face plant being a good thing with the extra weight on your back.

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Plus, I think a lot of the forum members would look pretty silly wearing their mandatory 5-sizes-too-large-pants while boarding around.

Mandatory five-sizes-too-large pants? I'm confused.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Mandatory five-sizes-too-large pants? I'm confused.

Jeanette Isabelle

You're not alone Jeanette...my pants are only one size too big.

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 10:15 PM

Excluding certain teenagers, walking fashion disasters, why would anyone wear pants any size too large?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 10:46 PM

Thats what the reference was to, many skater types "sag" their pants which means that they were there pants in a way that shows their boxers, and to do this they were large pants.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
I'm thinking the physics of rollerskating while wearing a backpack would take a lot of getting used to. It would really throw off your balance leading to disaster.

I hadn't thought of that Blast. Kids do it to summer camp all the time but they're more bendy and heal quicker - not like us old folks!

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Thats what the reference was to, many skater types "sag" their pants which means that they were there pants in a way that shows their boxers, and to do this they were large pants.

Due to poor wording, I misunderstood the original comment.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/04/08 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Excluding certain teenagers, walking fashion disasters, why would anyone wear pants any size too large?

Jeanette Isabelle

That's exactly my point. Who rides skateboards? Usually teens...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 12:22 AM

Last time I skated, I clamped the skates onto my Keds with the skate key that was worn around the neck on a piece of kite string (and the toe clamp always came off at the worst possible moment). I would kill myself for sure!!!

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 01:33 AM

That's exactly my point. Who rides skateboards? Usually teens...

The use and placement of the word "their" in your post came across as a reference to the members of this forum.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hercdoc

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 01:45 AM

OBG- I still have my skate key that my parents saved for me! I showed it to my teenagers and they cannot comprehend how the skates clamped to our shoes. Metal wheels didn't roll very well on 1970 backroads pavement. I have the scars to prove it!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 03:05 AM

"...I have the scars to prove it!..."

Me too...
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 11:49 AM

I remember not being able to walk after "skating" with those metal skates for a while due to all the vibration transmitted into my foot... It was like my feet where asleep.
Posted by: Ainokea

Re: Cool, stylish mobility for your BOB - 06/05/08 02:34 PM

I'm still shaking my head in wonder at the very idea of Armani strap-on skates...

... but if one really wanted skates for a bug-out situation, one could use V2's Aero nordic ski skates which are made for urban and trail ski skating. But I don't know why one would choose this option!