Multitool Bit Driver question

Posted by: Anonymous

Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:07 PM

I love my Gerber multipliers...I own several pair. One of the things I've never liked are the poor options for bit drivers.

For a while I thought that the Leathermans were better because they didn't require an adaptor to load the bits in...but when I saw a bit up close and looked into how few options there were for bits, I thought twice.

Looking around now, it seems that all the multipliers use somewhat proprietary bit systems...and this is an issue.

Recently I've decided that I'd like to have some extra bits for my multipliers but only bits which I need plus a few universal sizes. Unfortunately the bits I need are very specific to the other gadgets I sometimes carry and this means small Torx (like T-1 or T2) and similar rare bits.

Do any of you know if there is a multipliers out there which have bits available with unusual sizes available or a pliers which takes standard bits like the ones used with drills?

I'd be willing to upgrade and even move away from my Gerbers if I could make this one work. It could also breathe new life into the bit kit I bought years ago with over 100 bits including all the tamper-proof styles...very handy but not so easy to carry.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:14 PM

I should also note that the closest thing to perfect I've found so far is my Victorinox Cybertool 34. It has several Torx bits and holds them inside the knife but again the bits are proprietary and other sizes aren't available.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:19 PM

Why is it that I can research something for days and find nothing but as soon as I post about it, I find what I'm looking for within seconds.

http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/accessories/leatherman-removable-bit-driver.html

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new Leatherman...not really a bad thing except when it comes to picking one!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:26 PM

Leatherman makes their "Leatherman Universal Tool Adapter" (sorry, I couldn't get the link to copy/paste, but you can google it), it takes regular 1/4" hex shaped bits, so you should be able to get just the ones you want...

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:28 PM

That one only works with certain models of Leatherman, keep that in mind when you go shopping, and it uses the proprietary flattened hex bits only...

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:29 PM

The big universal one is totally out of the question...it's huge.
The one I posted about above is the right size but now that I research it a bit further I see that very few of the newer, full size pliers have the phillips driver and only have a bit driver specifically for the Leatherman bits.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Why is it that I can research something for days and find nothing but as soon as I post about it, I find what I'm looking for within seconds.

I have that same issue!!!!
Posted by: beadles

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:56 PM

If you can stand to have a separate tool, there are some oddball bicycling tools. The Topeak "Toolbar" is teeny, but takes regular size bits.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ToolBar

Or Countycomm has the "Versadriver":

http://www.countycomm.com/versadriver.htm

Or, you might find something like this small, offset ratchet.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5311328?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 05:56 PM

I may have found a better (for me) option:

http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/757serie.htm

I didn't know that 4mm micro drive bits even existed. Technically these should fit perfectly in my Cybertool. I guess you really need to choose your words carefully when searching google. Once I stopped looking for multiplier bits, all sorts of things came up.

These particular ones only go down to T-3 Torx but if these are available, there will be others...the hunt begins!
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/04/08 06:15 PM

I own a Leatherman Wave and I carry the tool adapter for it:

Leatherman Wave Tool Adapter
Posted by: Emp

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/05/08 05:01 AM

The SOG Powerlock comes with a quarter inch driver for standard sockets and with the optional quarter inch driver adapter can take bits as well. You can find these at Lowes for around $60.00 in the tools section.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/05/08 07:30 AM

On the subject of SOGs. Can you remove and add tools to them?
The Sock
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/05/08 01:42 PM

For the leatherman, can't you just grind down normal hex bits to be rectangular or no?
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/05/08 02:04 PM

For what its worth Hacksaw, I'll second the versadriver from countycomm....I have one and it positively rocks. I saw them years ago in the Dillon reloading mags my brother used to get. Back then it was called the "Doc Allen's versa tool". Then as fate would have it, 3 months later the local Cracker Barrel (resturant chain for those who don't have/know) started stocking them in their country store section. Got one for me and one for my brother. Picked up two bit carriers to round out the spectrum of things I could attack.
Works great and stores in its own little pouch. Highly recommended.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/05/08 02:12 PM

You can grind them down. I believe D.R. did it, but it is time consuming and dangerous.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/06/08 12:10 AM

They will work in the Cybertool but don't have the spring ball to hold them in the socket.
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/06/08 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: beadles
If you can stand to have a separate tool, there are some oddball bicycling tools. The Topeak "Toolbar" is teeny, but takes regular size bits.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ToolBar

Or Countycomm has the "Versadriver":

http://www.countycomm.com/versadriver.htm

Or, you might find something like this small, offset ratchet.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5311328?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have a Versatool and really like it. I added a set of metric Allen bits (for the bike) and Torx 15, 20, and 25. I also have a set of cheap 1/4" sockets in a small bag that I carry with it sometimes, but they are too heavy to EDC. It actually is a very versatile tool. I still have a Leatherman in my every day bag, but the Versatool covers most of the bases when it comes to most screws.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/06/08 01:10 PM

The versatool is neat but isn't very convenient for my EDC needs...especially at work where I'm wearing a suit and don't/can't have anything on my belt (At work I put my Cybertool and Infinity Ultra on my key lanyard).

I have a small tool kit for use with my bicycle and I have a bit and socket set similar to the Versatool but I actually have a mini 1/4" wratchet in there...very handy. I also have a couple of the bicycle specific tools mentioned above...some of them are very compact but still solid.

I like the SOG Power Lock idea of the 1/4" socket and I've heard that the Leatherman adapter (the one that slips over the phillips driver) also works on Gerbers with square phillips drivers...unfortunately my Diesel is one of the few Gerbers to NOT have a square Phillips driver. I've decided that Leathermans are out. I tried a couple and the 'one hand opening' blades only seem to be so for righties and not lefties. I like the SOG Power Asssist. The assist works for both lefties and righties but the mechanism means fewer tools so no 1/4" driver and I'd be back to square one.

If the 4mm bits won't stay in, that certainly would be a pain. I think there might be ways around that especially if the driver arm in the Cybertool could be magnetized. Then it could also be used for picking up screws and what not...albeit weak. I'll have to see if it can be magnetized first...with Victorinox's penchant for stainless it's possible it won't be an option.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/06/08 01:38 PM

"...'one hand opening' blades only seem to be so for righties and not lefties..."

You got that right. I carry my Wave on the left hip (old habits die hard), and occasionally I need to hold something with my right while I get the tool and blade open with the left. Not impossible, but not easy either. Just goes to show that nothing is perfect...
Posted by: Emp

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/07/08 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
On the subject of SOGs. Can you remove and add tools to them?
The Sock

Yes, they even come with a socket for takedown
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/07/08 10:02 PM

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5905

17-Piece Ratchet and Socket Screw Drivers Set

Price: $13.63

1/4" square drive right for gerber ?

black strip seems to have t1/t2 drives

Posted by: JohnN

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/08/08 03:17 AM

The "Removable Bit Driver" for the Leatherman Juice series will accommodate standard bits in addition to the low profile Leatherman bits.

They include a couple of bits with the removable bit driver which are useless since there are so few.

What I've done is keep the bit driver itself and throw out the included bits and purchase their full "Bit Kit".

The removable bit driver, the bit kit and and a standard T6 torq bit (from the Benchmade Bluebox kit) fit nicely in an Omniseal waterproof holder which I keep in my bag and carry my Juice XE6 on my person.

Based on the available removable bit drivers on their accessory page, it looks like this trick will work for the Blast, Fuse, Kick, Vista, Hybrid, Genus, Juice or Core (Core uses a different bit driver).

-john

Leatherman Accessories Page

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/09/08 01:00 PM

I just picked up a 4mm driver set from a local surplus hardware store for $9. Nice telescopic bit driver with a snake extender and about 40 bits in all shapes and sizes including the tiniest torx I've ever seen, a good selection of hex, and even the mostly useless pozidrive in 2 sizes.

Now I just have to magnetize the bits somehow so they'll stick in. The fit is good so they shouldn't need much.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 07:51 AM

I found a picture of my setup (minus the torq bit).

-john

[full sized]
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 09:00 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but wasn't there a bit extension bar available some time back for the Leatherman. On the above Leatherman site I don't see it. I've seen it pictured here in an earlier thread, (search didn't help unfortunately) anyone remember that?

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 01:14 PM

"...anyone remember that?..."

Not me, sorry...
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Unfortunately the bits I need are very specific to the other gadgets I sometimes carry and this means small Torx (like T-1 or T2) and similar rare bits.

I can't imagine anything actually using a T-1 or T-2 bit. The smallest fastener that I have personally seen is a T-6, and the set of bits that I purchased ranged from T-5 through T-10.

If the T-5 bit were hollow, it could probably be used as a hyperdermic needle, so I can only imagine how tiny a T-1 or T-2 is.

Jim

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 02:38 PM

That was my bad...now that I have a set that small in front of me I meant T-4 and T-5...which the set I just picked up has. For some reason I thought the torx on my Kershaw Cyclone's belt clip was T-2 and since the ERT-1 battery cover screw was smaller I assumed it was T-1.

The battery cover is actually a T-5 and the Kershaw belt clip, I think, is a T-6...both tiny. You'd think that they'd make servicing an 'emergency' tool easy. My batteries have been dead for months and this is the first time I've been able to find a Torx small enough.

Right now I'm trying to find a holder for them similar to the Leatherman bit holders. The plan is to get a SAK belt pocket for the bigger tools, put my Cybertool in and slide a holder full of extra bits along the back similar to how Leatherman does it.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Stokie
Not to hijack the thread, but wasn't there a bit extension bar available some time back for the Leatherman. On the above Leatherman site I don't see it. I've seen it pictured here in an earlier thread, (search didn't help unfortunately) anyone remember that?

I think I know what you are talking about, was it This?

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 02:44 PM

Actually found the link that is more descriptive

here
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/10/08 04:19 PM

Canadian company makes some good drivers and bit. The teeny turner
bits are 1/8 " hex and may fit in some multitool holders.

http://www.firehawktech.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PQTT

http://www.picquic.com/bitpac.html

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 08:11 AM

Climberslacker,

No that's not it, it was an extension bar to give your adapter more reach.

I do remember the bar being similar to that of the 1/4 bar provided with the Swiss tool and about 4" long. Something a kin to the Core bit driver on one end and an a 1/4 socket extension on the other. It may be possible to make a bar in that manner, but this was one piece.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 09:15 AM

Never liked those tiny removable driver tips on a multitool. Too fiddly. Too easy to have the tip fall out and get lost in the dirt. I much prefer a straight, fixed driver tool. A couple of assorted flat blades and a #1 Phillips is fine. I'm not going to be doing any production work so I just don't need a wide selection of driver bits.

I have always been able to muddle through with a much more limited selection. I can't remember any field situation when I couldn't make it work because I lacked a particular bit. I have tightened a number of torx,Robertson or Allen screws by gripping them with the pliers or forcing one or both of the long-nose points into the recess to gain a purchase. Or I wedge one of the other blades into it. You won't get it super tight and I gall the fastener that way, easy enough to replace when I get back, but it has always worked well enough.

If and when I really do need to have a more comprehensive selection of drivers for production work, like when I building something, I break out my tool kit and I'm good to go. In the mean time I don't need to be hauling the extra bulk and weight of a set of hex bits around.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 12:56 PM

In this case Art I would only be carrying a few extras in the sizes I know I might need. If the bits in the tool itself weren't such a good variety, I'd replace the integral ones with some of these...regrettably they're not double sided like the Victorinox ones are.

The original SAK bits have never fallen out once in nearly a decade of using it (crud...I'm using that word more and more...I must be getting old). That said, I have dropped them before and they're black...I'm surprised I haven't permanently lost one due to my butter fingers. Keeping these extras from falling out is going to make me get creative as it won't magnetize enough to hold the bits in...not with any of the magnets I have anyhow.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 01:04 PM

I'm pretty sure the Juice adapter has a spring for retention or something. I just used it the other day with my T6 to tighten the clip on my RSK. I had to really pull to get that puppy out.

-john

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 01:47 PM

Something like this ?

If that is it, you can find similar products in just about any hardware store. I have a couple of them, one about six inches long, that have slip collars on the female end to hold the bits in place so they don't fall out. Got it at one of those el cheapo sidewalk tool sales for only a couple of bucks...
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/11/08 11:41 PM

Quote:
I think there might be ways around that especially if the driver arm in the Cybertool could be magnetized

Magnetize the bits instead of the socket. It's easier to pass them all the way through the magnetizer. It's not too bad because the 4mm bits are lots longer than the Vic bits. Most of the time they're long enough to break the screw loose with the driver & use the bit like a small screwdriver to finish the job.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/13/08 08:30 AM

That looks like the fellow, only I thought that Leatherman did their own and that it slipped into the thin bit slot of waves and charges, if it's just a 1/4" drive extension then your right I can find those anywhere.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Re: Multitool Bit Driver question - 06/13/08 01:26 PM

"...Leatherman did their own and that it slipped into the thin bit slot of waves and charges..."

I think, from looking at it, that the one in the link is for the thin slots. It sure doesn't appear to be hex shaped (like the others I have). But I tried to find that one in Leathermans website and couldn't. Maybe they don't make it anymore...