Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies

Posted by: GoatMan

Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/02/08 07:28 PM

So, we're all aware of the need to have copies of important documents in our GOODY bag (Get Out Of Dodge Y'all bag - better known as a BOB, Go Bag, or 72-Hour kit). How important is it to have paper copies of these things in a kit? Typically I've only encrypted them onto a USB type flash drive or microSD card. I'd be able to reference them, but only with access to a computer. Do you think this is sufficient?

I'm concerned about putting hard copies of these things into a kit (that I keep in my car) due to the chance of it being stolen and used in Identity Theft scenarios.

Opinions?

Posted by: LeeG

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/02/08 07:41 PM

I am leery about doing physical copies for the same reason, but if someone steals you car, they are already going to have your full name, home address and other info off of your vehicle registration and insurance cards.

If you do decide to carry it in your BOB, it might be worthwhile to have a small, unobtrusive pocket sewn to the inside to hold stuff like that. A thorough search of your pack would find it, but there is a reasonable chance that a casual thief would just dump the contents on the floor and grab what he wants.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/03/08 02:37 AM

As I have stated here before, a couple of years ago I asked several people in a hospital if I walked in (or was carried in on a gurney) with a flash drive that I said contained all of my medical info, would they stick that thing into their computer to access my info, and they all said NO! Worrying about having a virus eat their computer. So I not a big fan of that system of saving important info. Answer to the problem...I don't have a clue...
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/03/08 04:14 PM

I think the answer is simply to keep a small piece of waterproof paper on yourself that lists
1. name, address, telephone
2. legal next of kin, address, telephone
3. medical insurance number, telephone
4. illnesses
5. allergies
6. etc.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/03/08 04:58 PM

This situation is definitely an exercise in balance.

My preferred method is to just put an encrypted digital copy (CD-R, DVD±R, or flash memory) into the bug-out bag. This ensures that I have access to my documents if I have to bug out immediately (as in, no extra few minutes to grab the hard copies out of the file cabinet) as long as I can access a computer.

If I do have an extra few minutes, I will grab the hard copies and put them in the vehicle.

As far as the hospital situation that OldBaldGuy referred, I like MedicAlert’s approach. They give you a tag with an identification number on it instead of your name and info. Seems like a good system that prevents people from stealing your information by stealing the tag while also allowing the information to be updated as time goes by.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/04/08 01:34 AM

That's what we do...
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/04/08 05:25 PM

We keep a fire-proof safe next to the BoB with all our important documents, etc in it. If we need to run, it's right there next to the bag, and I can dump the heavy safe later when I have more time. Also, obviously, if there is a fire it's protected.
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies - 06/04/08 06:02 PM

I guess my existing methods are good enough.

I likewise keep all original copies of important documents in a firesafe. And since my BOB is mobile, I keep my digital soft copies on my person. I don't have drug allergies or daily medications to worry about so I'll skip the medical dog tags for now.

Thanks for the feedback.