Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD

Posted by: Blast

Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/15/02 04:32 PM

Howdy ya'll. Mark here, long-time lurker - first time poster. I recently read on a travel tips website that Pepto Bismol is better for treating diarrhea than Immodium AD. Their reasoning was that Immodium AD stops everything up, trapping the bugs inside whereas PeptoBismol allows the bugs to flow out at a slow rate. Does anyone have any real-world experience to share one way or another?<br><br>Thanks.<br> -Mark<br>
Posted by: Ade

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/15/02 09:41 PM

Mark,<br><br>Pepto does nothing for me, except turn my stomach. Immodium AD has always worked for me, only once requiring a second dose. Keep in mind that YMMV.<br><br>Andy
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/15/02 09:56 PM

On a trip to Kenya I found Immodium to be my most valuable OTC treatment. I had absolutely no worry about stopping bad things inside smile <br><br>Pepto seemed to have simply been a waste of space in my travel kit. Immodium AD is ALWAYS with me when I travel.<br><br>BTW, Blast seems a particularly good acronym for this thread.<br>
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/16/02 12:38 AM

I second you on Immodium choice. In Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda Immodium was the only thing that kept my things in order. Small pill worked either as a preventive thing or during. Funny thing is that after three weeks I didn't need it anymore. <br><br>Matt
Posted by: Blast

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/16/02 02:56 AM

Okay, Immodium AD stays in my kit. Size alone is a pretty good reason. Thanks for the quick responses!<br><br> -Mark
Posted by: Trusbx

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 07/16/02 03:02 AM

You should chuck your pepto-bismol aside. If you have diarrhoea, immodium will do the trick. <br> As for the bugs being washed out with the poo, the aim of antidiarrhoeal treatment is symptomatic relief and prevention of complications like dehydration. Your body will take care of the toxins, and it will 'wash out' eventually. Your body is a well maintained and self correcting organism.<br> Of course, if your diarrhorea persists or is extremely watery (rice-water stools) or bloody, please seek medical attention to rule out cholera / salmonella for which a course of antibiotics will do the trick.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 10/02/02 01:04 AM

I carry both with a bigger emphasis on Immodium. Diarreah is far more life threatening than upset-stomach. However, I carry plenty of both in all of my kits. <br><br>I also carry a number of heart-burn medications such as Pepcid AC, Prevacid, Etc.<br><br>I would consider everything besides the Immodium to be more or less for comfort.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pepto Bismol vs. Immodium AD - 10/02/02 02:44 AM

I carry both as well. Nothing more dibilitating than severe diarrhea when clean water is at a premium and dehydration starts to set in.