Dental Kit for us Old Guys

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 03:24 AM

i was looking over the photos and lists on the posts by
Jim and Climberslacker and thought i would toss this in.
for those of us who might have dentures or other dental
work i would suggest buying one of the denture repair kits
you can find on the Web--Ebay..wherever..i got one for about
$20..it has a few teeth and two small glass vials of glue
and filler..i mixed up a tiny bit to fill a small hole--i
backed up the hole with wax so the filler would not run thru
to the inside surface--mixed,filled,put in warm water and let
set as per instructions--took out the wax and the hole was
filled..many weeks later it is still solid..if you find
yourself holding out in a brush shelter and spearing rats
for dinner you will want a working set of "choppers"..by the
way it does not take much to make a repair--i have lots left.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 03:28 AM

seems like a dental kit is a good addition to any FAK, I am working on getting one and know that JIM has one, a great one, that I want! But if you don't have the ability to eat, then you have a major problem!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 10:02 AM

Thanks for this post. I will be putting together a BoB for my Mother, who just moved in with us, the next time I go home.

A Dental Repair Kit will be an important addition to her BoB.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 11:21 AM

For those with all their oral hardware, it is pretty easy- AMK makes a great "Dental Medic" kit that takes up almost no room. Add a small bottle of oil of clove (for those who can't deal with lidocain, or if you need it for a while), and you've got everything you need.

And Canoedogs, you finally pointed out to me what is missing in my big med box at my folks- my mother has an upper plate, and I never even thought of this.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
For those with all their oral hardware, it is pretty easy - AMK makes a great "Dental Medic" kit that takes up almost no room. Add a small bottle of oil of clove (for those who can't deal with lidocain, or if you need it for a while), and you've got everything you need.

I used this kit from DenTek as the foundation for my dental emergency kit. Unlike the AMK kit, it does actually include a small bottle of Eugenol (oil of cloves).

Jim
Posted by: JIM

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
seems like a dental kit is a good addition to any FAK, I am working on getting one and know that JIM has one, a great one, that I want! But if you don't have the ability to eat, then you have a major problem!

Thanks! In case you haven't read the IFAK-Essentials dental-kit thread on ZS: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=29334
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 12:53 PM

You know, sometimes getting old just sucks. I don't have dentures, but I do have caps, crowns, bridges, and one veneer. 'Maybe 15 years ago the veneer, which is on a front tooth of course, popped on. On a Fri night to make matters worse. Since I had to work over the weekend, and dentists don't, I glued the thing back on with some Elmers woodglue. It didn't really set, but would hold the thing on for most of a shift, then I would do it again. Made my dentist laugh when I saw him Mon. Right after that I bought some Dentemp, and have been packing it around ever since. And completely forgot about having it!!!

Hint: My wife used to have a sister-in-law (Crazy Anita) who had a similar problem; she used superglue several times a day for something like a few months. Damn near killed her. Apparently there is something in superglue that is bad for you...

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 01:12 PM

well, im 13 and have a fake tooth (its attached to my retainer), so sometimes being a youth sucks!
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 01:34 PM

well, im 13 and have a fake tooth (its attached to my retainer), so sometimes being a youth sucks!

Seriously you're thirteen? And here I thought I was a young member.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Kris

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 01:44 PM

I wish
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Seriously you're thirteen? And here I thought I was a young member.

Jeanette Isabelle

I wish I had some of the mindset you had when I was 13!!!! I did anything and everything that would either get me into the most trouble with mom/dad (aka... having fun!) or doing something stupid (trying to bungee off a tree at 30' with telephone cable when i was 4/5 yrs old - dad's company car got messed up a bit -- very long story!).

Cudo's to you...
Kris

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 03:50 PM

Yeah, but I forgot that I had the Dentemp stuff. I also don't remember what I had for breakfast sometimes.

I have to say one thing, you write very very well for a thirteen year old. Someone has been paying attention in English, and/or had a great teacher...
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 04:14 PM

superglue is a cyanoacrylate, a substance containing a Carbon-nitrogen group. Other items containing this group are HCN, hydrogen cyanide. I can't find any ingestion toxicity information in a quick search, apparently because the toxicologists figure that having lips glued shut is a bigger issue than the longer term effects of CN ingetsion. Go figure. They didn't anticipate crazy anita. Also: apparently super glue reacts with cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate) causing heat production, flame and burns. Might be an interesting addition to the fire making kit, subject to appropriate experimentation by Blast.

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 04:26 PM

Yes, blast please try it out!! I would if I had superglue. ):

OBG, I have an amazing English teacher, so its a combination of the two, she makes me want to pay attention, or else I may miss a joke!! Just kiding, I love English!

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 05:00 PM

Just tried it out, it doesn't work, I tried a cotton ball(which I made sure was pure cotton) and some Krazy Glue, it didn't work, but it did feel warm, right now I'm just hoping my trash can doesn't catch fire. Right now, im typing with little shreds of cotton glued to my finger tips! It was all for you guys!

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 05:02 PM

I observed what looked like smoke using a dot of superglue to hold some thread in place after whipping some braided cord.

After some experimenting, I had a few wisps of smoke, a little bit of browning on white mercerized cotton thread and cotton balls, two empty tubes of super glue, and a headache. No fire.

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 05:15 PM

I didn't even get smoke, maybe my cotton was either to compresses or not compressed enough?

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 05:56 PM

I was working on a dark surface, with difused light off the side. It was a very few whisps- in full light, or against a light background, I don't know if I'd have seen it.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 06:41 PM

OBG, I have an amazing English teacher, so its a combination of the two, she makes me want to pay attention, or else I may miss a joke!! Just kiding, I love English!

That is what is so cool about being a kid or teenager, you have the opportunity to surpass a person's expectation of you. Once one becomes an adult, what was once considered exceptional is now expected.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/01/08 07:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up!!
Posted by: LED

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/02/08 01:08 AM

I've got the Dentemp kit w/clove oil, and just bought Refilit Cherry after reading some good real world reviews.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/02/08 02:52 AM

Even in the tightest pocket FAK it pays to insert a birthday candle or tiny stub of a candle.

The wax can be stuffed into the hole left by a missing filling or wrapped around the tooth stub of a broken tooth or where a crown has been lost. To be used this way you have to be careful about which candle you select. The modern plastic candles with a rubbery or stiff consistency don't work well. Beeswax based candles and others that will soften in the mouth sufficiently that they can be worked like putty with the fingers is what you want.

They also make a good fire starter, fuel for light and heat, solid-form lubricant and sealer. Warmed and thumbed into a leak in a rain fly or raincoat it can help keep you dry and eliminate the annoyance.

Its roll as stopgap in field expedient dentistry is another plus.

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/02/08 03:05 AM

Actually, at the orthodontist they give away dental wax in little cases, so I may pick one up and add it to the kit! Just check your local orthodontist and they should have some!

It looks like this

really small and thin and keeps it from getting smooshed

Re: Dental Kit for us Old Guys - 06/02/08 01:38 PM

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to use one of those trick can't blow 'em out candles...