My troop FAK pix

Posted by: climberslacker

My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 02:55 AM

OK so as promised I took pictures of the FAK now that it is done (Finally!!)

Here is the bag looking into it

Here is a picture of the elastic loops under the flap that hold my gauze. There are 6 rolls of 2 inch gauze

Here are the contents of the largest compartment and what is stored in it.

TRIANGULAR BANDAGE 40'' 3
CINDER SUDS FOAM SOAP 1
eye pad 1
stethescope 1
Cough Drops 15
Calamine Lotion 1 bottle
Tape 1 roll

then there is the main compartments' left divider

it contains:
STING RELIEF PAD 10
WATER-JEL BURN LIQUID 1 bottle
ALCOHOL PADS 10
IMODIUM A D 12
EYE WASH 5
Ibuprofen 8
ANTACID 18
TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC 22

Then the main compartments' right divider:

which has:
GAUZE PADS 4 X 4 10
COMBINE PAD 5X9 3
BLOOD STOPPING BANDAGE 1
Cushioning gauze 2

Then there is the frontal pockets

the Left one:

which has:
QuikClot Sport 1
BUTTERFLY BANDAGE 1 box
MICRO SHIELD 1
Trauma Shears 1 pair

Then the right one:

which has:
Self adhesive wrap 1
ELASTIC WRAP 2
NOSEBLEED PLUGS 1 roll
PENLIGHT 1
Tape 1 roll

Finally there are the two side pockets:

the left one:

wich has:
FORCEP SLANTED 1
FORCEP SPLINTER 1
Cold Pack 2
IRRIGATION PISTON 60CC 1

and the right one:

which has:
BAND AIDS (ASSORTED)
Hand Sanitizer 1 bottle
GLOVES NITRILE 5 pairs
Triple Antibiotic 3
ALCOHOL PADS 4

the right pocket is mainly just for when there are cuts and scrapes so it has some band aids, alcahol wipes, triple anti-biotic and the hand sanitizer, so the scouts don't have to go rooting through the whole thing to find band aids.

Also not shown:

*5 biohazard bags in zippered compartment under flap
*contents list
*Sign out sheet (what you used on whom and why)

As usual please critique, and for those of you who didn't see my first post it can be seen here.

-Jace
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 03:27 AM

The only thing I see odd is you have a lot of high quality products but then you throw in some generic adhesive bandages.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:06 AM

I'd suggest that you find some hard sided containers for the ice packs. They have a nasty habit of getting squished in soft bags, so when you want to use them they don't work anymore...

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:26 AM

Well, the only reason I put the cheepy band-aids was they were like buy 2 get 1 free and the band aid brand ones the gauze part goes all the way to the end instead of the whole wound being sealed up. OBG Thanks for the tip, I will be looking for one now, maybe a small-ish tupperware? Any other suggestions? Thanks all!
Posted by: JIM

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 07:16 AM

Congratulations on a exellent FAK!

You might want to add some more tape and a BP-cuff for use with that stethoscope.

Edit: make sure you know no one in your troop is allergic to lidocaine, since you have that water-jel bottle in the bag. Maybe pack a couple of water-jel dressings (which don't contain lidocaine) just to be safe.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 02:10 PM

Thanks! I have a list of non-critical items that I want to put in it eventually like some moleskin and some sunscreen, but these things would be mostly for people who forgot theres...I may add a bp cuff, but am not sure right now...BTW on monday I am taking CPR/AED for the professional rescuer, so I will learn how to use a BVM and pocket mask, should be fun!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 02:24 PM

WOot Woot CVS!!! Im pretty sure that the thing that got me into first aid was their first aid section, I used to look around and wonder what all the stuff was. One thing that building this taught me is that if you can think of it, there is someone allergic to it!!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 03:17 PM

+1 on OBG's comments re: ice packs.

More gauze. But it in bulk (it's like a 200-count). Re-pack it into ziplok sandwich bags. You can probably get it from any medical supply store, fairly cheap. Really, it's amazing how fast they get used when you REALLY need them. Some more gloves too, as they can rip, or other people may need to help. I toss them in sandwich bags too and squeeze the air out.

Just a thought... IIRC, you're in the San Diego area. If you can get to downtown, there's an Army-Navy store on 6th/Market (I think). The stadium might have displaced it, but if you go downstairs, they have some surplus first aid supplies. You can buy the military trauma bandages for like $1/each. Add 2 or 3 of those to your kit; supposedly they hold as much fluid as 20 4x4's. I think I was able to squeeze out 4-5 ounces of water once when I played with them.

Looks good for a BSA kit!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 03:48 PM

Ya I have 100 4x4's I only put 10, The gloves are in a sandwich bag, I just took them out to show you what they were, just because the light made them look like some kind of drugs(the bad kind). Thanks for the tip! I will also look next time I am at my local surplus store, as I live a few mile from camp pendleton, so there are like 10-15 stores within 20 minutes of my house! I will add more 4x4's right now!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 03:52 PM

I might add a big sign inside the cover saying what to do: basic ABC instructions, reminder to use gloves, etc.

You could repack some of the supplies into tupperware - most of my stuff gets worn out from shelf wear not actual use.

Also, a headlamp would be useful.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 03:59 PM

Ok, I just added another abd pad, doubled the amount of 4x4's, added 3 more pairs of gloves, a SAM finger splint, and some moleskin!! As I said I will look for a few isreali bandages.

Thanks for all of the help!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:08 PM

Headlamp added! I have a red cross "skills card" from First aid that I may put in there.
Posted by: big_al

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:11 PM

climberslacker:

May I suggest that you get some Tecru for poison oak & Ivy.
belive me after 10 years busting the brush for the Forest Service, Calamine lotion don't cut it. And down here is S. Calif. you are going to need it smile

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: big_al
climberslacker:

May I suggest that you get some Tecru for poison oak & Ivy.
belive me after 10 years busting the brush for the Forest Service, Calamine lotion don't cut it. And down here is S. Calif. you are going to need it smile

Totally off topic, but I first went camping on my 6th birthday. Nearly 24 year later, I've STILL not gotten poison oak'd or ivy'd. Amazing, huh?

Now, my ex... went pee once back east in the bushes off a train stop. Yup, itching for 2 weeks, in some rather odd spots. I still laugh.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Totally off topic, but I first went camping on my 6th birthday. Nearly 24 year later, I've STILL not gotten poison oak'd or ivy'd. Amazing, huh?

It may be that you are not sensitive to urushiol. An estimated 20–40% of the population will not develop an allergic reaction to poison ivy, oak, or sumac. I am also one of the lucky ones. I can roll around in the stuff and not be bothered.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 05:39 PM

Try a Lock'n'Lock container- I've really come to like them for field gear. Water resistant, not 100% water proof, but they'll take a dunking. Where they shine against tupperware/rubbermaid is that the lid is MUCH harder to come loose accidentally.

And as someone with a *cain allergy, +10 on making sure that you know who is allergic to what. Talk to your troop leaders, and have them talk to parents, see if you can get, say, a 3x5 with allergies and chronic conditions for everyone in the troop, then stick their cards in the bag, so you can KNOW.

And in here would be good place to stash that spare sunscreen and bug dope that should be with every troop outing, and maybe a bottle of PA or a flat of AquaMiras. If you are going to be the troop medic, push water treatment and field sanitation.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 06:26 PM

Nice set up. Add a bottle of water for wound irrigation and cleaning. Also works great as initial care for burns. Pretty cool now smack a big patch right on the bag to make it official.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Polak187
Nice set up. Add a bottle of water for wound irrigation and cleaning. Also works great as initial care for burns. Pretty cool now smack a big patch right on the bag to make it official.

A word on patches. Both the red cross, and the Star of Life, are tradmarked. I actually used to work at a police dept. up in LA County, and we confiscated some guy's first aid supplies becuase of liberal use of the SOL. The reasoning was, he had no official EMS status, and had a load of stuff, thus falsely representing himself.

So, just FYI....

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 07:40 PM

Ok, I was thinking star of life, and then our troop patch?
Posted by: SARbound

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

A word on patches. Both the red cross, and the Star of Life, are tradmarked. I actually used to work at a police dept. up in LA County, and we confiscated some guy's first aid supplies becuase of liberal use of the SOL. The reasoning was, he had no official EMS status, and had a load of stuff, thus falsely representing himself.

So, just FYI....

Just being curious... How did you evaluate the guy's proficiency in first-aid before proceeding with the confiscating of his stuff?

In my area, the star of life basically means "you can come here to get some help". It does not imply or guarantee anything. Obviously, if you can't be of any help then you are clearly falsely representing yourself which is NOT good. But generally speaking, if you can actually provide some help/care/first-aid/whatever, then you should be okay.

Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 09:11 PM

You can buy the military trauma bandages for like $1/each. Add 2 or 3 of those to your kit; supposedly they hold as much fluid as 20 4x4's. I think I was able to squeeze out 4-5 ounces of water once when I played with them.

From personal experience, they will drip out eight ounces or so, once they are saturated with blood.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 09:42 PM

Thanks!! You all rock!! It will be a very organic fak, as in it will change over time by what I feel we need, so please if you have ANY suggestions or questions or just random coments from your expiriences, please put them forward!!!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 10:41 PM

Yeah that would be cool mate. If you ever need restock supplies (non meds based such as bandaids, cravats, klings, etc) let me know I will ship you some at no cost. I'm sure FDNY will not mind to help scouts out.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 11:22 PM

"...I may add a bp cuff..."

For "serious" injuries/illneses, paramagics and doctors LOVE it is you take a lot of BP's and keep a log, it helps them see what has been going on...

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 11:28 PM

Star of Life or not, when I became an EMT I was trained to always introduce myself, explain that I was an EMT, and ask if the victim wanted me to treat them. If unconscious, consent is implied...

Re: My troop FAK pix - 05/31/08 11:31 PM

Good for you! As I have said before, I suspect that if a scout went begging for supplies in uniform they would be forthcoming from a variety of agencies. I would have passed out enough to stock his whole kit from our storeroom (and, lucky me, I was the one who got to order the replacement supplies)...

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/01/08 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: SARbound

Just being curious... How did you evaluate the guy's proficiency in first-aid before proceeding with the confiscating of his stuff?

In my area, the star of life basically means "you can come here to get some help". It does not imply or guarantee anything. Obviously, if you can't be of any help then you are clearly falsely representing yourself which is NOT good. But generally speaking, if you can actually provide some help/care/first-aid/whatever, then you should be okay.

Well, the set up was, I was an EMT, working the BLS ambulance stationed at the police station. I was also cross trained as a desk officer (basically take/write all non-criminal complaints; traffic tickets, lost items, etc). An officer brought showed up with a bunch of "stuff" from the guy's car. I'm assuming he had no credentials on him... had a big FAK, a construction-type helmet, reflective vest, some other odds and ends, all emblazoned with the SOL. As I understand it, since he couldn't prove EMS affiliation, he was falsely representing himself. Like I said though, it was brought to the station by one of the officers.

http://www.ems.gov/vgn-ext-templating/ems/sol/pages/Criteria+Specs.htm

Shows the legality behind use. Though in all likelihood, climberslacker, take a class or two, get a first-responder certificate, you'll be fine. FWIW, the red cross probably won't get you in any trouble either. Worse case scenario? Use your First Aid merit badge patch on the kit, since most of you should recognize that!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/01/08 12:25 AM

lol, yeah I was actually thinking that!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/01/08 12:45 AM

Quote:
To identify medical equipment and supplies intended for use by authorized emergency medical care providers in the provision of emergency medical care.

Posted by: Mike_H

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/02/08 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Polak187
If you ever need restock supplies (non meds based such as bandaids, cravats, klings, etc) let me know I will ship you some at no cost. I'm sure FDNY will not mind to help scouts out.

+10 to you Polak!

I'm an Assistant Scout Master myself and it always it great to see people helping the scouts out. Too often people forget how important scouting is to the youth of the nation.

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/02/08 12:25 PM

Yes infinity+ to you!!!

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/02/08 03:21 PM

I wish I was able to continue with my Scouting when I was younger but unfortunately I was transplanted from Poland to the US and couldnt continue first due to language barrier and than I was too old. My good friend is an Eagle Scout and one of my Lou's son became an Eagle Scout last month. So all the kuddos to the Scouts.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/02/08 04:28 PM

You can always participate in scouting in other ways. I, myself, never had the opportunity to be a scout, but I enjoy being an Assistant Scout Master. Almost feels like getting back the years I didn't have. And I still get to camp with them.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: My troop FAK pix - 06/02/08 04:57 PM

History and use of the Star of Life:

History of the Star of Life

Pete