Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT

Posted by: Todd W

Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 05/31/08 02:40 AM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811642

Not a bad price / setup for not having to do the work to piece it together. Def. enough food / energy for 3 days, probably more if you spread it out.

Anyone have this? I think I may get one or two (or maybe piece together to save $) and keep them in my cars.

-Todd
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 05/31/08 02:29 PM

Not bad looking

-I think a lot of this spawned out of the tax free hurricane supplies thing walmart had going recently
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 05/31/08 04:13 PM

Wow! I didn't here about the tax fre huricane supplies! Maybe cause I A) don't shop at wal-mart and B) don't live in hurricane country
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 05/31/08 07:12 PM

Not a bad price at all considering the main courses go for around 6$/each.
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/01/08 11:53 AM

Florida won't be having a tax holiday for hurricane supplies this year. They're also not going to have back-to-school tax holiday either. Budget's too tight.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/01/08 12:02 PM

It looks like a good deal and should hold up well in a car trunk. A car(or in my case truck) is a great place to store a 72 hr kit. If I'm home I have way more than 72 hrs of kit. Getting stuck somewhere away from civilization, 72 hrs of food rations can make a big difference. I'll need to check this at WM.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/01/08 03:10 PM

Great price...I'm gonna buy one for my car..
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/01/08 09:25 PM

FYI observation from having been there & done that...be careful how and where you store your freeze dried foodstuffs.

In my case, I had a handful of the FD eggs and ham single serving packages and placed them in a vehicle. Even though they were protected from crushing, the vibration from driving around many miles and over many bumps took their toll on the food. When I finally opened a package and rehydrated it, I realized that dry product had been bounced around so much that it had started breaking into smaller pieces. The taste was still OK but the texture was more like a slightly lumpy scrambled egg pudding than scrambled eggs. Later on, I compared a subsequent package (same product / vendor / lot) from the vehicle with one stored at home and there was a BIG difference in texture.

Not really sure what the solution is for keeping this from happening, just accepted it as a fact of life, traded texture for ready convienence and taste. I still keep FD items in the vehicles, just moved them more to the center of the vehicle rather than keeping them closer the ends of the vehicle. YMMV

Regards,
Comanche7
Posted by: red

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/03/08 01:05 AM

Another caveat...have you eaten mountain house before? I've tried some of it. The granola was good...not much else to say.

Check out http://backpackergeartest.org for some unbiased reviews of freeze dried foods. I know people's taste buds differ, but some of the freeze dried stuff is truly awful.

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe it doesn't matter so much if you're starving, but I'd think a little morale booster might go far to making your 72 hours more bearable.

Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/03/08 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: red

Check out http://backpackergeartest.org for some unbiased reviews of freeze dried foods. I know people's taste buds differ, but some of the freeze dried stuff is truly awful.

Did you mean Backpack Gear Test?

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/03/08 07:05 AM

I like most MH stuff smile
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/03/08 11:48 AM

I like a lot of the MH stuff as well... Much better than some foods I've tried.
Posted by: red

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 06/05/08 01:00 AM

Whoops, you got it! My bad.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 08/17/08 01:01 AM

So, did anybody ever actually try these? I'm just wondering how many calories are actually in that box...

Re: Wal-Mart / Mountain House 72hr KIT - 08/17/08 01:56 AM

It's only $30 now, I think it was $39 when I posted (so it says) so an even better deal.

They also have this starter kit which is nice:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811641
$4/each not bad.