Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage

Posted by: leemann

Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 02:44 AM

What's the differance between the israeli bandage and the bloodstopper bandage?.

Thanks
Lee
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 04:12 AM

IIRC, the israeli bandage has a pressure thingy, and im not sure if it can be used as a sling...its also much more expensive!
Posted by: Regulator6

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 04:15 AM

Hey leemann, I hope I can help you out with your question. I just got back from Iraq two weeks ago, and I promised myself that I would do a whole lot of things once I got back. One of those things was take a more active role in this forum. I’ve learned so much form everyone here and have never contributed anything back. I would like to start.

Well, I’d have to see exactly what you are comparing the Israeli bandage to when you say “blood stopper” but I think I know what you are talking about. We had a bandage we called a HEMCON bandage that would seal up a wound tight and aid in clotting. The Israeli bandage is also supposed to do the same, in a way. The main difference is that with the Israeli bandage you get the ability to apply some real pressure to a wound with the ends of the bandage. What I mean is that it is an actual bandage where the HEMCON is more like a giant band aid. It’s self adhesive, but it doesn’t have an “attached cravat” like the Israeli bandage does to apply that extra pressure needed. This is not to say one is better than the other, you just have to understand their uses and limitations. The HEMCON was always used in conjunction with a pressure dressing, not to aid in clotting, but for the pressure you get with bandage. In my experience, the HEMCON with a pressure dressing was more effective than the Israeli bandage, but you are going to have to carry two items and take more time to open them up and apply them, where as with the Israeli bandage you just rip it open and apply. Bam, done. Also, lets not forget that the Israeli bandage can also be used as a tourniquet, and is much better at applying pressure to the wound than any old pressure dressing alone will ever be, even with a HEMCON under it. I know I just said that I thought the HEMCON with a pressure dressing was more effective, but I think that at the end of the day, you are going to be better off with the Israeli bandage. It’s just more useful in my opinion. I suppose the best use is a combination of the two. The Israeli bandage, for immediate control of the hemorrhage and evacuation of the casualty. Then, if you are still going to be in the fight for a while, you switch to the HEMCON and pressure dressing combination for that good seal of the wound that the HEMCON brings to the party.

If by blood stopper you were referring to Quick Clot, then things just got a lot more complicated  I would recommend HEMCON over Quick Clot any day. For one, a medic can remove a HEMCON in the field with just saline. I’ll refrain from this angle unless Quick Clot is what you were referring to. I could go on with a whole other paragraph on this.

Here I am getting all military and that’s probably not even what you were asking about. I used these things in Iraq, and they are all very good. It just depends on what you want to do with them, and what you think you are going to need. I’m sure there is going to be some Paramedic that is going to come on here and destroy me, but I hoped I helped answer your question.

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 04:33 AM

Well, not exactly a paramedic, but maybe a 13 year old (:

No I won't destroy you! Lets see

Survived Iraq vs: 13 yo hmmmmm

What he is refering to as the blood stopper can be seen here

and the israeli trauma dressing here

Thanks for the interesting info about the HEMCON bandage though, I have never heard of it! Thanks!

If your like me and have no idea what a HEMCON bandage is, it can be found here!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 04:35 AM

Welcome home NewGuy!!!

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 04:44 AM

Yes, Thanks for the service to our country! A Be-Lated welcome to the fire newguy! (Hehe 300th post!! (: )
Posted by: dweste

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 05:58 AM

Regulator6, thank you for your service.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 08:12 AM

Regulator6
Welcome Home! And Thank You
Posted by: JIM

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 12:13 PM

A bloodstopper-dressing is essentially the same thing as the Israeli Dressing (ETD).

The only difference is that the ETD has a pressure-bar which, you guessed it, applies pressure to the wound:

A bloodstopper dressing does the same thing, but it uses a gauze roll for applying pressure:

That is the greatest difference. The ETD also has a closure-bar and uses an ACE bandage instead of a normal gauze roll as with the bloodstopper-dressing.

IMHO: you're better of using a roll of kerlix and a ACE bandage, but if you really want to, I would prefer the Israeli-bandage.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 12:51 PM

I don't know how to interpret that last statement, but it seems to me that they'll both work, use what you have at hand.

The Israeli bandage is a specific item that I won't likely have. Using rolls of gauze to add pressure to serious bleeding I will have. It only needs to work until the EMT's arrive.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 01:19 PM

"...It only needs to work until the EMT's arrive..."

Unfortunately, depending on where you live and play, that can be quite a while. Right on I-5 in Central CA I have had to wait over 30 minutes for paramedics (I was an EMT-1) to arrive. Many a time I wished that I had something other than 4x4's and kling...
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
IMHO: you're better of using a roll of kerlix and a ACE bandage, but if you really want to, I would prefer the Israeli-bandage.

As can be seen in the images that Jim linked, the wrap material used in the ETD (Israeli, or "Izzy") is significantly more robust than the thin gauze that is used in the Bloodstopper.

The ETD (emergency trauma dressing) can easily be installed one handed (i.e., on your opposite arm) whereas the Bloodstopper is not quite so easy. Obviously the benefits of the pressure bar that is used in the ETD is not something that the Bloodstopper offers.

Finally, it should be noted that the (6" version) of the ETD is also available with a second slidding gauze pad, making it very useful for a GSW or puncture where an exit wound also exists.

Jim
Posted by: leemann

Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage - 05/27/08 09:53 PM

Excellent points and info .

Thanks

Lee