Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC?

Posted by: dweste

Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/25/08 05:28 PM

While looking for a new wallet for general use, I wondered if there are some great wallet or wallet-sized soft containers that I could use to everyday carry an inconspicuous personal first aid kit, a personal survival kit, or maybe a combo-mini-FAK-PSK.

I am sure this is not a new idea or question.

Thoughts?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/25/08 05:48 PM

Leather horizontally-oriented, belt-mounted "biker's" wallet.

(This post officially makes me an "Addict" grin)
Posted by: Russ

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/25/08 05:50 PM

If they ever get them back in stock, I recommend the Mission Wallet.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/25/08 06:32 PM

If you check with the other Tactical suppliers (CountyComm, ActionGear, etc) you may find something like that there.

Standard disclaimer on companies mentioned.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 05:17 AM

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=10

http://www.edcmagazine.com/index_files/issues/issue1.pdf

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 08:50 AM

Good stuff, thanks.

I ordered The Wallet Jr.

Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 02:39 PM

OOOH (cue drooling) please tell us how you like it! I have looked at them, and played with the shark bite closure in the store and it is really amazing!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 03:15 PM

I'd suggest two wallets, or a belt-mounted bag...like a cell phone case, but worn in back

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 04:42 PM

My goal is a two-wallet system: one for largely conventional wallet stuff and a second for PSK and FAK stuff.

I'm thnking THE Wallet Jr. may replace my conventional wallet, but I will check it out for possible PSK/FAK use.

I am slowly putting together an "urban" EDC PSK - FAK that will pass metal detector and TSA examination. This is proving challenging, especialy because I do not like velcro and non-metallic gear limits choices.

I am pairing the wallets with two keychains that will go through metal detectors and TSA inspection without appearing threatening but still include some non-bladed metal PSK-type tools. The keychains would include keys, firesteel, whistle, mini-compass, password-protected thumbdrive, mini-tool that does not include a blade, photon-type led light, and the-as-yet-undetermined: etcetera.

For non-urban use in general, I am putting additional PSK - FAK items in a third kit that can go in a large pocket, fannypack, or whatever. This is pretty conventional and straightforward.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 04:59 PM

Just as a reminder...it is still at the TSA Examiner's discretion whether or not to allow anything through. I e-mailed the TSA directly about this regarding bladeless multitools, i.e. Knifeless Fuse by Leatherman (standard disclaimer).

There are guidelines they use, not hard-and-fast rules. So much for "standardization". It is going to be a crap-shoot either way. The decision is up to someone who makes just over minimum wage who probably doesn't have good discernmment skills to begin with.
Posted by: wolf

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 05:56 PM

The TSA employees I know make about 2x minimum wage. Either way, I don't know that the wage they make affects their discernment skills - With many it may simply be an abuse of power fueled by working in a tedious, boring job. "Hey - look at THIS guy. I'm gonna mess with him, yay!"
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 06:24 PM

Personally I carry the SPEC-Ops checkbook/wallet.....it has more than enough room for small items. I normally carry 6 band-aids, 2 neosporin packs, a spyderco spyder card and a couple of advil in a blister pack.

-Bill Liptak

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/26/08 11:53 PM

Good gear, but 9 inches is too long.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 11:04 AM

About ready to give up on wallets and go with this zippered case:

MedSun zippered case 4.75 x 3 x 1.5 $9

http://www.redflarekits.com/pc/10030/pac/Belt+or+pocket+sized+case
Posted by: Ors

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: wolf
The TSA employees I know make about 2x minimum wage. Either way, I don't know that the wage they make affects their discernment skills - With many it may simply be an abuse of power fueled by working in a tedious, boring job. "Hey - look at THIS guy. I'm gonna mess with him, yay!"

I think the point is that the lower someone's wage is PLUS tedious job EQUALS more likelihood that someone would want to mess with people, just because they can.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 03:01 PM

Hence the need for what I call the "urban PSK - FAK" that does not trigger metal detector or TSA attention.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 05:39 PM

I want to use containers that match the size of my trouser pockets, but that are as thin as possible.

The problem I encounter is that the dividers and internal pockets in wallets always add more bulk than utility.

So I use a more home-made approach.

In my right pocket is an OmniSeal bifold wallet. This has two credit cards, my drivers license and insurance papers, and my CCW permit:

http://www.rei.com/product/492598?vcat=REI_SEARCH

In the same pocket I have my oversized bandanna, folded to about 4-1/2 x 7 x 1/2 inches (12 x 18 x 1.3 cm), and a keyring of survival tools.

In my left pocket I have my tinder and first aid in a plastic bag. It used to be a Zip-Lock quart-sized bag, but is now a 12 x 9 inch (32 x 23 cm) heavy-duty plastic bag folded into thirds. It ends up being 4-1/2 x 9 x 3/4 inches (12 x 23 x 1.8 cm).

I get them here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I think the part number is: 19215T84. I also have about ten feet of paracord.

It's easy and inexpensive to replace the bag every month or so. It provides some degree of waterproofing. It opens into a big container so I can freely rummage around in an emergency to get at what I want.

I use smaller plastic bags to isolate liquids (antibiotic cream, alcohol wipes, etc.).

Bear

Posted by: red

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 07:28 PM

+1 on THE wallet. The sharkbite design is really awesome and I can fit quite a few EDC goodies as long as they are relatively flat.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/27/08 10:37 PM

What EDC goodies work with THE Wallet?

Thanks.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/29/08 12:25 AM

Let's see, let me get mine out, in mine there are:

Ear plugs (2)
100 dollar bill (in secret compartment)
Signal Mirror
Color copy of passports (DW, DD, DS and mine)
Foil
Large Bandaid (almost a 4x4)
Safety pins
alchohol prep pad

I also am looking at getting a credit card knife, but I'm afraid I'll forget it's there and try to go through security...whoops!

I'm sure there are others who have stuffed their THE wallet even more!

Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/30/08 06:27 PM

I second the suggestion of the T.H.E.® Wallet from SpecOpsBrand.
Great quality, holds a LOT, and NO VELCRO(!!!), but still locks closed.

I usually have a Fresnel lens, led fishing lure light, a minisaw, and a rasorknife in mine.
It has a zipper security pocket in it, but I usually use it to hold my cash, because the main cash compartment is sized to fit European money and so is WAY oversized for American money.
You could probably carry one of the smaller survival blankets in the main compartment, if you refolded it to fit. The new AMK ones would probably be thin enough that you would not even notice it.
I wish they would make a new version where the BIG compartment zipped!
It is big enough to hold a passport book unfolded in one of the inside pockets on one side(in fact it was designed for that.
I have been thinking about buying another one to put in my other pocket to pack a full survival kit in. I think the entire D.R. kit would fit inside with a lot of room to spare.
That would let you put a survival blanket and a couple of baby bottle liners inside(The liners, I would probably put inside the security pocket to protect them).
There is a mesh zipper pocket that is big enough to hold the whistle, compass, sparklite, etc...

Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 05/30/08 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Good stuff, thanks.

I ordered The Wallet Jr.

I have one of those, but I find it too small for EDC.
I have a LOT of cards, etc. that I carry.
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 06/01/08 03:23 PM

I carry a Maxpedition Spartan Wallet . Some of the things carry in it are, a p38, a swisscard & a few different sized band-aids. Good wallet, if you don't mind the velcro & the noise that comes with.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 06/03/08 12:23 AM

Here is the Wallet Survival Kit I designed.

Re: Best wallet for PSK FAK EDC? - 06/03/08 12:35 AM

As a benefit to this, if you get mugged, just throw the cashless wallet at the perp!

I was thinking, with all the crap I stuff in my T.H.E. wallet, maybe putting another in my other back pocket will cure my back strain :-)