Highlander Survival "Kit"

Posted by: Rodion

Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 12:20 PM

Wire saw, hooks, fishing string, matches, sewing needles.

I got this for 5 bucks from an eBay distributor when shopping for Storm matches (great seller BTW, can provide a link if anyone's interested) and from the contents, wasn't impressed. However, what I didn't realize was just how tiny the container was. Here it is with a pen for scale:

It seems like a reasonably comprehensive EDC add-on. Because it's so small and relatively lightweight, I'm actually considering putting one into my BoB as well. Does anybody have experience with these?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 12:27 PM

Cute little thing, for a reasonable price, assuming that the contents are of any quality at all. Never heard of it before, and it took me a few seconds to figure out what the little rods with the "V" notches in them are. It is kinda early, and I'm on my first cup of java...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 12:37 PM

welcome to the early morning club. I have been at work (RN-critical care) since 6 this am. These are basically the same kits i remember buying back in the early 80's. They always came in the "10 bucks hollow handle survival knife" found at flea markets.I remember playing with these when i was younger. Most of the contents are fair. But the saw is a total waste of time. It is very weak and breaks easily. The only true wire saw i have ever used with any success is one called a COMMANDO SAW i think made by coghlan's. The make a cheap one but it seems the commando one was not that bad.

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 12:49 PM

Yeah, I figured the wire saw wouldn't be much help. Still, is it better than nothing, or just plain hazardours?

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Cute little thing, for a reasonable price, assuming that the contents are of any quality at all. Never heard of it before, and it took me a few seconds to figure out what the little rods with the "V" notches in them are. It is kinda early, and I'm on my first cup of java...

Well, the matches are advertised as being "waterproof", though you wouldn't guess it. I replaced three out of six with one (1) of the "lifeboat" kind and the striker fit, too. And since you're already up... what are the little rods with the "V" notches??? I'm not an especially skilled outdoorsman...

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 12:54 PM

"...what are the little rods with the "V" notches..."

Little handles for the el cheapo wire saw...

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 01:44 PM

lol. Much oblidged.

Here's a result of ten minutes of irregular sawing with the Highlander wire saw, compared to Sabercut (top).

I should point out that the latter took me most of the time to properly position. I imagine this would be a non-issue with a full-size log, though. Of course, I probably wouldn't dare throw the wire saw against a log anyway...
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 01:50 PM

Ive used a wire saw against a 5 inch branch, it didn't take long at all! It was actually reakky fun, but then agian, we were using it in 2 person mode.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 01:54 PM

Figtree is right about the wire saw, most won't hold up. In small kits I replaced all the matches with 2"x1/8" ferrocerium rods. Doug Ritter's PSP is good, no matches, no cheap saw, but good signaling gear which is much more important to the guy who gets lost.

Also, check out the EDC kit at CountyComm and consider an EDC kit that looks more like a set of keys. I like kits that I can use every day. It makes it easier to remember what I have if I use it, rather than having it stashed for emergency only use.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 03:31 PM

I like how compact it is...you could stash some all over for the price too.

I'm not a big fan of the wire saws. Maybe I've only ever tried cheap ones but the heat generated by their use seems to stress the metal to the point where it gets brittle and/or weak and breaks. I don't think I've ever had one last longer than one branch.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 05:12 PM

Too many hooks… too many matches… etc. “There can be only one” of each.

blush Sorry… couldn’t resist.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 07:03 PM

I'd ditch the wire saw, the V-hooks, and the matches, then replace them with a SparkLite and some tinder if I could fit it in there. Not bad of a find there!

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 09:01 PM

If you like the tube format, you might want to look at the Tube Vault as a container and make your own.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 09:13 PM

I really......really F****** hate those stupid God****** piece of trash USELESS wire saws. mad mad mad mad Use the space in the tube for something that may actually help you in a bad spot and it may not be a bad little kit for its size and cost.

I would never take a small kit like this in the woods by itself but as a supplement for something larger it may have its use for some people. I would prefer to use an orange Coghlan's match vial and fill it with better matches and stuff.

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 09:32 PM

Here is a post about wire saws, in general.

I should clarify: this is by no means my PSK and it is indeed meant to supplement, not replace. In fact, I already have an orange match vial filled with better matches, except it also happens to have a compass, whistle, etc. wink

My BoB has an Ultimate Survival Sabercut chain saw which I love and treasure, and which was used to make the cut in the photo shown previously.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 09:56 PM

I know those tube vaults must be pretty robust, but wouldn't a few paintball tubes do just as good? Don't screw down, but I've never had one "pop" open on me. And I used to get pretty crazy: crawling through brush, waist deep in water (from pastures, so you can guess what the cows were adding to the mix), bouncine off stuff (wore a cup, so I was damn near fearless).

Anway, at 99cents it probably doesn't matter much, but just another option.

They're also good for chilling wasps so you can measure and mark them...
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/24/08 11:55 PM

Quote:
I really......really F****** hate those stupid God****** piece of trash USELESS wire saws.

The only one I've seen that looked like it would stand any effective use was from the BSA in the late 70's/early 80's. It was single strand wire with teeth formed from the wire. The gauge was heavy enough that it had to be rolled & the teeth were aggressive to the point that you kept the plastic bag it came in to store it & even then it poked through. Does anyone know what their current model is like? All the rest have seemed like they would work slowly (if at all) and were likely to break if you looked at them wrong.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/25/08 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
The only one I've seen that looked like it would stand any effective use was from the BSA in the late 70's/early 80's. It was single strand wire with teeth formed from the wire. The gauge was heavy enough that it had to be rolled & the teeth were aggressive to the point that you kept the plastic bag it came in to store it & even then it poked through.

I remember having one of those. The teeth were indeed pretty wicked, and would quickly destroy whatever container it was stored in, and then start tearing up whatever it was packed next to.

Jim
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/25/08 02:31 AM

You have one of one of those little five in one things?

*shakes head*

They don't do any of the five very well in my experince. What they do really well is break, and leak. Better to get a few items that do their job than one item that tries and fails to replace them.

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/25/08 05:07 AM

Hey! It's a match holder. Give it a break.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/25/08 04:56 PM

Those tube "vaults" (found elsewhere on that web site) are simply PET preforms. They are later reheated and blown to shape to create 2-litre pop bottles for Coke/Pepsi. It seems strange how indestructible they are when small but so fragile when expanded!

I've got a few at home that I use for geocaching and to hold odds and sodds like magnets, screws, etc. I never really thought too much about them as far as storing liquids in them but really thats what they intended for!

A buck a tube is a bit expensive, you should be able to find them at about 1/2 that price if you look hard enough.

I bookmarked that site as they have some novel and useful items - only problem is that they don't ship to Canada because they use only UPS as their carrier. UPS |between| borders is the absolute worst way of sending any type of package.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/25/08 10:09 PM

I have a wire saw made from carbide that looks just like that one.
It is made to be used on a hacksaw frame. I have used it to cut
through chain when fixing tire chains and also to cut through a padlock. It is made for metal work, not wood. If you ever find yourself on the wrong side of a locked forest service gate in
an emergency, it would easily cut through the chains.
Posted by: 11BINF

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/26/08 01:19 AM

i think someone had a surplus of those (hollow handle) "survival knife" kits...because thats what they are...and as long as the items are made well it should be o.k as some type of stand alone kit...as for wire saws they are what they are a survival saw..me i like the quality British made ones and it will last a little longer than the asian/china made items..vince g. 11b inf..
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/26/08 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Rodion

I got this for 5 bucks from an eBay distributor when shopping for Storm matches (great seller BTW, can provide a link if anyone's interested) and from the contents, wasn't impressed. However, what I didn't realize was just how tiny the container was. Here it is with a pen for scale:

It seems like a reasonably comprehensive EDC add-on. Because it's so small and relatively lightweight, I'm actually considering putting one into my BoB as well. Does anybody have experience with these?

Your absolutely right, it's a very basic kit. All the components are usable except the saw. Personally I don't bother much with wire saw's. Especially as anyone with half a brain has a SAK/Leatherman/Gerber et al with a saw on them. Having said that: I have them in my kits as an option for sawing through something that I cannot get at with a conventional saw. You just have to understand that they are vunerable to kinking and gets trapped. Which is when they snap. Just respect their limitations.

If anyone is interested, there is a much better kit based around a G.I. Match case. It has 3 decent (Now that was a surprise!) matches, a striker board and one hook with a reasonable amount of line. There is also a small "signal" mirror in the cap. Being intrigued I ordered two of them. Its childs play to add:
2 x Tinder-Quick.
1 x Button compass of the type used in Doug's P.S.K.
1 x MP1 tablet.

It's not much but it's all you need for an 1-2 day situation.

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/26/08 01:10 PM

Everyone has their own ideas about kits and gear in general -- what works (for them), what doesn't work (for them), the best way to carry (again, for them). It's rare to find a one size fits all kit.

I started out with a "store bought" Ritter PSP years ago and then started adding an deleting. I ended up deleting the container and carrying what I need/use distributed on my person.

I still have an unaltered PSP in the bottom of my EDC backpack, but I don't see myself ever using it. It was designed small enough to carry in your pocket, but the other EDC gear that I use every day covers pocket carry, so the PSP gets carried as an emergency kit for somebody else. In a real emergency I'd use my EDC gear.

From what I've seen, most wilderness survival experiences start with getting lost. It's easy to do if you don't pay attention. Before I reached for the PSP, I'd reach for my GPS and compass.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/26/08 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Everyone has their own ideas about kits and gear in general -- what works (for them), what doesn't work (for them), the best way to carry (again, for them). It's rare to find a one size fits all kit.

I don't believe in one-size fits all. A person needs the tools which works best for them, for the environment they will be in. Recent circumstances has caused me to rethink what I carry and has taken me somewhat further off the path Doug Ritter laid out. Granted, I am considering some of his ideas I have not implemented before such as a Fox 40 and a Photon Freedom Micro. Is what I have on my person, at this moment, the best gear I need for an urban environment? No, it's not. I came back to this forum because I have to rethink what I use in an urban environment.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/26/08 03:45 PM

Jeanette,

Thank you for trusting us here at The Forum to help you in working out what your individual situation. Remember that DR's primary focus, as I see it ( I do not imply that I speak for him), came from his experience as a private pilot. We here in The Forum just take off in all directions when a topic is brought up. Great ideas and information result from these widely scattered discussions. However, you are correct in viewing the overarching principle of preparedness as an "any environment/location" issue. We look forward to hearing more from you and helping you how ever we can.

Just for giggles, take a look at my EDC in the Photo Gallery. I used what I currently owned (minus the tube) and made it up. Is it for everyone? Nope. Does it work for now? Yup. Will cause someone else to think differently about how to package and carry their EDC? Hopefully.

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/27/08 03:54 AM

Thank-you. Before I joined the forum nearly two years ago I sent Doug Ritter an E-mail asking him why a knife is the universal tool. I told him I live in a major metropolitan area and my tool of choice is a pair of EMT shears. Rather than answering the question himself, he posed that question to the forum to get their feedback. It was after posing the question that I joined. For almost every possibility posed to me, a pair of EMT shears could do the same job, just differently. There were a few exceptions such as EMT shears cannot be used for fishing. I don't fish. I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, I don't fly and I don't go backpacking, camping, hunting or get involved in water sports. I did try out a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD for a while. It did not work for me so I gave it away. I still use EMT shears. I have two, in fact, and I even have one in my pocket as I type this message.

Today I did a lot of reading on urban survival, bought a Fox 40 and completely modified my AMK Pocket Medic. One of the things I did to it was add a role of 1/2" medical tape. Except for the tinniest of first aid kits, every kit should have a roll of tape in my humble opinion. I still have my Mag-Lite and plan to hold on to it; I plan to replace it with a Photon Freedom Micro as part of my EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/27/08 04:43 AM

There is no doubt that EMT type scissors are handy as can be. I have several of them, and have just about stripped accident victims naked with them. They can cut all kinds of stuff, a former co-worker once managed to cut thru control cables on a light aircraft (VERY tough stuff) with his to extricate the injured pilot. Only thing that comes to mind you can't do well with them is clean your fingernails and make fuzz sticks (or other wood "whittling" kind of stuff. But I still carry my Leatherman on me all the time, while I leave the shears in my larger FAK...

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/27/08 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Thank-you. Before I joined the forum nearly two years ago I sent Doug Ritter an E-mail asking him why a knife is the universal tool. I told him I live in a major metropolitan area and my tool of choice is a pair of EMT shears. Rather than answering the question himself, he posed that question to the forum to get their feedback. It was after posing the question that I joined. For almost every possibility posed to me, a pair of EMT shears could do the same job, just differently. There were a few exceptions such as EMT shears cannot be used for fishing. I don't fish. I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, I don't fly and I don't go backpacking, camping, hunting or get involved in water sports. I did try out a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD for a while. It did not work for me so I gave it away. I still use EMT shears. I have two, in fact, and I even have one in my pocket as I type this message.

Today I did a lot of reading on urban survival, bought a Fox 40 and completely modified my AMK Pocket Medic. One of the things I did to it was add a role of 1/2" medical tape. Except for the tinniest of first aid kits, every kit should have a roll of tape in my humble opinion. I still have my Mag-Lite and plan to hold on to it; I plan to replace it with a Photon Freedom Micro as part of my EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

IMNO (in my n00b opinion), swapping a Maglite out of your EDC is a mistake, unless you replace it with something else that's long, hard and scary.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/27/08 04:06 PM

The saw is pretty worthless. They tend to break quickly once uncoiled. The matches are also not very good. This is almost the exact contents of a survival knife my dad bought me over 20 years ago. At least he was getting me thinking along the correct lines to carry some survival gear.

I'm not even sure what lb test the line is in that kit. Echoing what everyone else has said, I would put in a SparkLite, some tinder, better line, maybe a button compass if it fits. If you are going to EDC something, at least make it usefull equipment.

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/27/08 08:38 PM

Aaanyway...

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided against getting one or two more and instead opted to separate this one: I put the fishing and sewing "kits" in my long-term BoB/outdoor ruksack, the case in my class bag with some cotton (don't have Sparklite and my survival budget is pretty much done for the year) and added the wire saw to my EDC. I don't carry a pocket knife (not in my pockets, anyway), so it's better than nothing (and it is better than nothing, judging by my own test results). My only concern is the fact that the wire saw could be deemed a "dangerous object" if discovered...

P.S. About my EDC: I do carry a button compass and have swapped my shoelaces for paracord. That's almost 40 feet of 50 lbs line.
Posted by: SouthDakotan

Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" - 05/28/08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: Rodion

Your absolutely right, it's a very basic kit. All the components are usable except the saw. Personally I don't bother much with wire saw's. Especially as anyone with half a brain has a SAK/Leatherman/Gerber et al with a saw on them. Having said that: I have them in my kits as an option for sawing through something that I cannot get at with a conventional saw. You just have to understand that they are vunerable to kinking and gets trapped. Which is when they snap. Just respect their limitations.

If anyone is interested, there is a much better kit based around a G.I. Match case. It has 3 decent (Now that was a surprise!) matches, a striker board and one hook with a reasonable amount of line. There is also a small "signal" mirror in the cap. Being intrigued I ordered two of them. Its childs play to add:
2 x Tinder-Quick.
1 x Button compass of the type used in Doug's P.S.K.
1 x MP1 tablet.

It's not much but it's all you need for an 1-2 day situation.

Where did you get the match case kit?