Urban survival for the executive

Posted by: Anonymous

Urban survival for the executive - 07/10/02 01:48 PM

Does anyone have an idea about carrying gear on your belt with a suit for normal business? How is it accepted by other executives (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.)? How does one carry things too bulky for pockets more discreetly? etc. Do you carry more than one knife?

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/10/02 03:11 PM

>>Does anyone have an idea about carrying gear on your belt with a suit for normal business? How is it accepted by other executives (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.)?<<<br><br>Not well. In general, anything on the belt is a negative class-indicator, and incompatible with the message you're sending by wearing a suit. Having things hanging off the belt is associated with janitors and repairmen. These days, there's sort of a grudging exception for mobile phones up to a certain level. Anything else might cause comment, probably behind your back.<br><br>On the other hand, a suit offers multiple pockets, some quite useful. I wouldn't want to put an entire PSK in any one, but items can be distributed. An Altoids-size tin isn't too conspicuous in a suit breast pocket unless you button the suit jacket- which is seldom done these days. Two thinner containers would be better, though.<br><br>As I'm a technical type, on most days I can get away with a leather pouch on my belt for a Palm computer. This works well if I'm likely to leave my suit jacket hanging up for most of the day. It rides horizontally, and there is space on the back side to clip a folder with up to about a 3 or 3.5 inch blade and have it remain concealed. Going to high-level meetings or business lunches, though, I don't wear the pouch and I carry the Palm in a suit pocket.<br><br>A friend carries a somewhat larger but very flat folder without a clip (usually an Al Mar Eagle) in his hip pocket, with a folded handkercheif to disguise the shape. He says it works. It's possible to carry a fairly large neck knife under your shirt and tie, so long as it's flat, but it's not an easy thing either to explain or to divest yourself of if it becomes awkward.<br><br>>>How does one carry things too bulky for pockets more discreetly?<<<br><br>Carrying attache cases is pretty much out these days at the higher levels, but you can almost always get away with a nice-quality flat leather pouch sized for documents and legal pads and such- some close with spring hinges, some with zippers. Generally, the higher class the surroundings, the less acceptable it is to carry anything. CEOs often have underlings carrying documents for them, and it's not unusual for them not to even bother with a watch. A lot depends on the circumstances you're anticipating.<br><br>There is also the option of keeping reserves at your desk and in your vehicle. It's not ideal, but it's probably the only viable option for bulky items. I have a fair amount of stuff in a shoulder pouch/pack that accompanies me to and from the vehicle, otherwise it lives at my desk.<br><br>>>Do you carry more than one knife?<<<br><br>Barring metal detectors, yes. I carry a Leatherman Micra for visible everyday use, and something else for crisis use- exactly what depends on the environment.<br>NEVER reveal anything that could be remotely considered a weapon unless it's more important than your job.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/10/02 04:41 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with your body type. Some people can get away with a Micra, photon, altoid kit, keys and wallet in their suit pockets while others can't even carry their car keys in their pant pocket without looking like a schlemiel. <br><br>I fall into the latter catagory. Therefore I leave things in my desk, my briefcase, my car, and my overcoat/ jacket. Is this optimal? Far from it. But it is better than nothing and I was able to get back to my desk before bolting out of the building on 9/11.<br>As for carrying multiple knives... I wouldn't carry anything you would be embarrassed about showing the security guards or police (Uh, yes sir, I use this to open my mail...)
Posted by: RayW

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 01:07 AM

This is one of those, it depends, questions. A lot has to do with your work environment. I work where i get dirty so it is not a problem. Now my little brother works as a project manager for a multimedia company. His job includes meetings with current as well as potential customers. What he carries is a organizer sized package that has a belt clip on it. It's large enough to carry his Visor, with the cell phone attachment, fold up keyboard, and a small note pad. It has another pocket on the back that has enough room for a Leatherman Wave, a AA mini mag, and a Spyderco. Where he works the dress code is pretty relaxed so he does not have any problem with wearing it on his belt, when he has meetings it is carried.<br><br>Now as you move up the executive ladder so to speak, toting more is usually frowned upon. If you are wearing a suit, dispersing it in multiple pockets is fairly easy. And i agree with Presumed, as your show blade carry a micra or something else PC. My little brother gave a quarter of his office a heart attack the first time he pulled out his all black Spyderco, of course the ones that were the most offended are also the first to ask him for a knife when they need something cut. He carries a micra on his key ring now.<br><br>
Posted by: Trusbx

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 02:22 AM

I carry a buch of stuff with me all the time at work. I am a physician and I have no problems with carrying a leatherman wave on my belt. ( it is carried between the belt-loops over the right back pocket so it is not so obvious).<br>I also carry a altoids tin (urban srvival version) in my left front pants pocket, together with a SOG X-ray vision with paracord lanyard and my mobile phone. My right front pocket holds my keys with a pulsar II light, tornado whistle, storm lighter and my wallet. <br>It doesn't look obtrusive or unsightly, you just have to wear pants which are loose fitting so the stuff in your pockets don't stand out.<br>I usually don' t carry that much on my belt (just a leatherman and pager) lest I end up a batman wanna be .<br><br>
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 03:16 AM

I have to agree with above post. In the corporate world it's hard to get away from traditions and standards in the dress code. It's hard for others to accept your leatherman as a tool, instead of being perceived as a weapon. But it also depends on the company and people you work with. In my previous job my clients and partners were very rich and they would never do anything connected to the manual labor. So if the lightbulb was out in their home, they waited until electrician came to change it, they would never think about doing it themselves. Anything that I wore: leatherman, diving watch, dog tags or even a flashlight was reason for talking behind my back and them trying to display their richness and superiority. In my current job Leatherman is accepted, and key chain with other stuff also makes no rumor. But than again all of us worked in WTC so nobody questions our behavior. <br><br>I can give you a tip as far as carrying leatherman goes with a suit. I would love to use the standard vertical case but when I have my suit jacket open it shows. Even if it is accepted it really doesn't fit the style and it may potentialy cause a problem. I bought couple of horizontal cases from local knife store. So when I wear a suit I will wear that case on my belt but I will push it all the way to the back. Nobody can see it. I can open my jacket and even if I have to take it off I would do so facing people at the meeting and they can't see it. Even if somebody spots it, it doesn't look like anything anyway. <br><br>Play it by the ear. See what you can get away with it maybe be more than you think. I love photography and I hit a swimming pool once a day so I always have a big backpack with me. In that pack I have my extra flashlight, lighter, rolled up rain gear plus couple of cameras and swimming stuff. Originally I was getting ocassional comments about it but people got used to it.
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 06:29 AM

I dunno. Maybe it's me; maybe it's just a good feature of the legal profession or its population. I don't really have a problem carrying what I want except in legally restricted areas. OTOH, I do tend to prefer pocket carry. And I suppose even I do conform to some of the dictates of fashion. Somehow a visible belt tool just doesn't seem to comport with a suit. When my pockets are insufficient, there is always my ubiquitous briefcase. Fortunately, full-sized briefcases are still acceptable for lawyers -- I guess that also fits my personality. ;-} I also frequently dress casually when business allows.<br><br>I've also noticed that many of my colleagues have no reluctance to use their own hand tools as circumstances warrant. Also a lot of us have interests in the outdoors, do it yourself projects, and frankly just plain gadgetry that seem to transcend any inhibitions of fashion. Finally, many of us just despise conformity anyway. <br><br>Incidentally, my wife always keeps a SAK, etc. in her purse.<br><br>I also like P. Lost's idea of keeping a Micra handy as a loaner when needed since I don't lend my knives to anyone. Otherwise it's occasionally ackward.<br><br>John

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 01:18 PM

FWIW I carry a Victorinox Swiss Card in a business card case (The cheap case you get from the printer), A Brunton Lifecard in my wallet, and a Photon II on my keychain.<br><br>The Swiss Card is flat, non threatening, and was a service award from my company which doesn't hurt. The Lifecard is never seen unless I use the freznel lens for reading small print, <br><br> Now the Schrade Multitool I'm getting for my 10 year service award will probably not go over as well!<br><br>Chris
Posted by: billvann

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 01:27 PM

>>>I also like P. Lost's idea of keeping a Micra handy as a loaner when needed since I don't lend my knives to anyone. <<<<br><br>It's also more likely to be returned if your keys are attached!

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 02:50 PM

I think the first decision relates to EDC items. If you work in an office and carry a full altoids tin with snares, fishing gear, signal mirror, etc -- well, you may be be better prepared than I am, but for what likely scenario? I have a complete BCB tine outfitted along Doug's reccomendations, but it's reserved for "off road" use.<br><br> For EDC, I combine a "mega key chain" (ARC AAA light, mini-Fox whistle (modified), bottle cap lifter, foldup Accutech Swisstool with pliers and screwdrivers, and small SAK "Executive" with scissors or occasionally a Micra, plus a fresnel in the wallet. If the number of keys you carry gets weeded occasionally, it's not much bulk, and I let the light hang from the pocket opening to reduce key wear on the pocket.<br><br> Everything else goes into my flat 3 1/4" X 2 7/8" Dr Scholl's blister pack that rides comfortably even in a suit front pants pocket (heck, it would fit in a bathing suit pocket): bandaids (2), butterfly closure, 4' twine, 1' duct tape, Photon II, button compass, mini-sewing kit, safety pins, sparker and tinder, Xacto blade, four motrin and two Bendadryls sealed in mini wrap. A couple of ranger bands wrap around it and keeps it closed, In an urban scenario, perhaps with the addition of a cell phone and a quarter for a pay phone in case of a dead battery, what am I realistically missing?<br><br> If you're camping, flying, hiking, etc., it calls for a different kind of kit and that's what I'd take for those activities. And you'd want a better medical kit, like the one I keep in my car trunk, along with a Lightwave 2000 LED 'serious' flashlight.<br><br> But it seems to me that you don't need a complete BOB in your pocket at the office -- just the items you're likely to need in an urban environment. It may mean assembling several different kits for different purposes -- but that's half the fun anyway, right?

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 04:00 PM

I've had the same experience as your brother. You can create quite a reaction with a good size locking blade knife. I ususally carry 4" syderco clipped on the inside my pants. But for mixed company use I carry a smaller 1" blade folding locker in my pocket. Most of the time you don't get much of a reaction with that.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 05:28 PM

I normally carry several items on my belt which are covered by my vest. This includes a Leatherman Wave and a SureFire 6P, leather gloves, and pager(s). A sport coat will cover but the loaded belt does tend to get noticed in a setting where I remove the jacket. So in a more formal environment I have found that I can get by with just my large folder clipped to my pants waistband. I carry it just above my right pocket and find that the natural blousing of my shirt and the age related fat overhang conceal this very nicely. Only the knife clip is noticable and most of this is covered by my belt. Some folders are designed to ride very low on their clips and this would be my recommendation. (I carry an Emerson Viper 5 here, carry often, use very infrequently at work).<br><br>I also carry a Micra or a medium sized SAK both for their usefulness and as a loaner tool. I have found a SAK to be acceptable in nearly every work or social environment I have ever used it. Even my small Sebenza is more acceptable than my same sized Spydercos. The Sebenza looks like a "nice" tool with the utility blade shape, the grey handle scales....the Spyderco's look more scary for some reason, especially the all black serrated versions.<br><br>I generally avoid opening a knife one-handed in an office environment as most novices see this as scary. Open a medium sized folder with 2 hands before opening a box etc and you are much less noticable.<br><br>I think horizontal knife pouches are nearly invisible on your belt. You can again take advantage of shirt blousing or "fat" concealment.<br><br>I also carry a Leatherman Juice CS4 when I need smaller tools. The new leather pouch looks very nice and its bulk is much less than my Wave.<br><br>All my other "needs" are dumped in my EDC bag when I find I cannot carry them On-Body for some reason or other.<br>

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 08:16 PM

Willie,<br><br>>>>It's also more likely to be returned if your keys are attached!<<<<br><br>The idea just keeps getting better and better.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 08:23 PM

Randy,<br><br>>>>I ... find that the natural blousing of my shirt and age related fat overhang conceal this very nicely.<<<<br><br>It's not fat; its an integrated annular nutrient survival store born form the wisdom of maturity. ... Or something like that. ;-}<br><br>John
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 09:43 PM

Ah yes, John, you have sparked an idea.<br><br>I should probably add:<br><br>"quantity 15lb, integrated annular nutrient survival store"<br><br>to my EDC list:)<br><br>Thanks
Posted by: zoltan

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 09:50 PM

Some say it's better to carry it on, not in you - see this

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 10:04 PM

(horizontal cases for leatherman)<br><br>Have you tried a horizontal cell-phone case? I have a leather one, designed for medium-size Nokia phones, I keep my Wave, flashlight, duct tape and other stuff inside. Of course, I have to keep my phone separately, so I'm sometimes asked why do I carry two .

Some Ideas Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/11/02 11:45 PM

My regular carry knives with business dress are either the Chris Reeve Mnandi or a John Kubasek fancy folder. Both have unserrated blades under 3" and most people regard them more as Adult Toys/Male Jewelry rather than weapons. <br><br>The Mnandi's clip is shaped much like the clip of an upscale fountain pen. I can clip this knife to my shirt pocket and no one realizes it's a knife!<br><br>I also have a Leatherman WAVE in my briefbag, and keep a Swisstech Utili-key and a SOG Gent's knife on the keyring, along with a Photon Microlight. Plus an old dogtag, which can be used for a number of things. After the recent earthquake here I also carried a modified Penrith PSK and an Adventure Medical Kits Thermolite bivy in my briefbag as well.<br><br>If you have your suits custom tailored, they can put special pockets in the coat; I have tried to convince tailors to put special pockets inside trouser pockets, but they generally advise against doing so because of the effect it would have on the drape. Most tailors, and some off the rack suits, have small change pockets inside the right front trouser pocket. They tend to be flimsy, however. I have two suits with special knife pockets inside the coat. <br><br>One option is Dockers Mobile Pants. The right side front pocket has an inner pocket with a zipper which follows just inside the line of the outer pocket. Left unzipped, you can clip your folder to the inner pocket, and the clip will not show on the outside, yet the knife if still as accessible as if you had clipped it normally. I have yet to find a serious use for the other pockets, however. <br><br>Another option is to clip your knife to a large stiff postcard and place it inside the trouser pocket. The postcard also conceals the line of the knife. I was once compelled to carry a Benchmande 710 this way and it works fairly well.<br><br>

Some Ideas Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 06:31 AM

Thanks Grim, you make perfect sense here. I think I will try some of your suggestions. I also try and disguise things as much as possible otherwise people may get the wrong impression. I carry most of my small gear eg photon II, Fox40, windmill lighter, compass etc in a small pouch with my car keys attached with a small snap hook. My Swisstech Utilikey is with my house keys on another key case. I carry my Vic Swisschamp in my inside right jacket pocket and my Ryan 7 in my right trouser pocket behind my white handkerchief to mask shape. Phew!!! There's more...My PSK!!! in my left inside jacket pocket. I am starting to get used to all this. I have my 357 Magnum and my Polkowski Kasper in my Brief baf/Laptop bag.
Posted by: WOFT

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 10:04 AM

Umm, does any1 know how to answer questions like "why do you have a whistle/wire/torch etc. without coming across as an extremely paranoid person? I'm talking now about an urban/business scenario, where a carrying a whisle seems very, well, paranoid.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 10:59 AM

Tell them you helping out at the local Boy Scout troop. And than really do it :)<br><br>Matt

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 12:42 PM

I knew a young guy once... he was in his twenties, but had a very sheltered life, and he was terrified of the idea of going into a liquor store and buying beer. His question was, "what if they ask me what I want it for?".<br><br>Well, there are several answers. The most obvious is that I can't really imagine anyone asking. <br><br>Ladies often carry whistles on keychains as a low-level mugging defense, and in the post 9/11 world I don't think nearly as many people are quick to call someone else paranoid for something that simple. If by "torch" you mean what Americans call a flashlight, that is also extremely common. People put them on key rings just to be able to see their locks and keys at night. If you mean one of those torch-type cigarette lighters, I'd be a bit worried about drug connotations- I prefer one that looks like a lighter. Gentlemen who do not smoke still sometimes carry them for gallant gestures.<br><br>More fundamentally, it would depend a great deal on who asks, and why. All sorts of people have all sorts of happy nonsense on their key rings, and it's rarely a subject of conversation. If you're being searched for some reason, I can't imagine them caring about a whistle, cigarette lighter, or flashlight. I guarantee that if I'm searched, nobody is going to be worrying about a whistle. :-)<br><br>If you're concerned about revealing something, don't reveal it. If, on the other hand, you're concerned about being searched against your will, don't sweat the whistles, flashlights and lighters. At that point, they won't be an issue.<br><br>That having been said, I don't carry a lot with my keys- just a BSA "Hotspark" that's shaped much like a key. Between the leather key case, the remote for the car alarm, back-up remote for the garage door, office, home and car keys, it's way too bulky as it is. If I did, though, I like the idea of having a small nylon or leather pouch on the key chain- protects pockets, and protects the contents against wear and inquisitive eyes.
Posted by: Trusbx

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 01:14 PM

Whistle - to hail a cab<br><br>Torch - to find dropped coins in the dark<br><br>Wire - uhhh....to make a snare for those pesky pigeons ??<br><br>

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 04:18 PM

This is a question I have put a lot of thought into myself.<br><br>Depending on your work environment, you may not be able to carry anything visible.<br><br>For many, this means limiting yourself to what will fit neatly in your pants pockets without bulges.<br><br>This need not prevent you from being prepared, it just presents a special challenge, much like assembling a tin. You have to decide what you really need and how it will best fit.<br><br>My pants pockets at work contain a Multi-tool, flashlight, pepper-spray, compass and lighter and sometimes an electronic organizer AND no-one would ever know it by looking at me from any angle. No one has ever asked me why I have that stuff because no one knows it's there.<br><br>3 principles to get you started: <br><br>1- Drastically reduce what you are already carrying (trim your wallet and keychain, etc.).<br>2- Choose a few of the most important items and get the most compact versions (anything thicker than 1/2 inch will show as a bulge and be uncomfortable, look for flat stuff).<br>3- Be creative in how you carry the stuff- hint, things carry lots better if they are vertical in your pockets.<br><br>The big break-through for me was realizing that I could easily carry a somewhat-bulky item such as a multi-tool discreetly in my pants pocket if I could get it to do 2 things: stand up vertically and stay at the outside edge of the pocket. If you can do that, it will be comfortable and will not show a bulge. The best way to get the item to do those 2 things is to physically divide your pocket into 2 sections, one of which is a narrow vertical shape at the outside edge of the pocket shaped to fit your item. This can be done by sewing a short vertical seam through the pocket, or by just putting a few safety-pins through the pocket. You'll have to experiment with the positioning. Brass safety pins won't cause you headaches at the metal-detector.<br><br>How many keys do you carry? 10? How many have you used in the last 48 hours? 3? Put the rest in the ash-tray of your car along with any extra split-rings and key fobs and leave them there. Now make your keychain even smaller by replacing your split-ring with something flexible like a short bead-chain or cord.<br><br>Take every single item out of your wallet and spread it out on a table. Separate it into 2 piles based on whether you are actually going to need to use the item in the next 7 days away from home. Think about whether you really need to carry 6 credit cards and 2 calling cards every day. If you have multiple slips of paper with notes and phone numbers on them, put it all on one piece of paper with your calling card number. The other pile goes into your dresser drawer or glove-box.<br><br>You probably just cleared a whole lot of pocket space. You now have some valuable spots for items to keep you prepared. You won't be able to carry everything you could ever need, but you can discreetly carry a few of the most important, carefully selected items without compromising your professional appearance.<br>

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/12/02 04:28 PM

As a network administrator / tech support / guy to take the blame if anything computer-related don't work I have a good reason for carrying blades. I don't bother to hide my Wave blade from people, only one person asked why do I need one (I told him about few uses). However, I don't show other knives if I carry them. Multi-tools work great because they don't look like weapons. Having a job that explains your EDC is great - mine also works for flashlight ("that's for locating network equipment in the basements") and duct tape. Few days ago I was asked about carrying adhesive bandages. I just showed a fresh scar (a result of incautious handling of my own knife - BTW, do you know that with a razor-sharp blade you can cut yourself painlessly? I hadn't felt anything, somebody had to tell me that I was bleeding!)<br><br>Now, a world record in being curious about a blade:<br>A quite experiencied female sailor asked me why do I carry a knife when we were on the yacht at sea!!! I didn't tell her that I carry 3 - leatherman in a jacket pocket (for use when I'm in the cockpit, fully ziped and pants pockets are inacessible), folder in a pants pocket (for use when I'm inside, without a jacket) and I keep fixed blade for real work somewhere near. I wonder if she hadn't notice that virtually all sailors carry a knife of some sort and use it many times a day.<br><br>Why do some people keep thinking that knife is only a weapon and you don't have a non-criminal reason to carry one even when they see it used for stripping wire, cutting cordage and opening cardboard boxes...
Posted by: corpsman

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/13/02 06:08 PM

Fortunately, I'm middle mgt and get away w/ scorpion and leatherman on belt next to my cell. But, as was discussed in detail, a big no no for meetings/power lunches etc...<br><br>I've been thinking about modifying a tool pallet from a company like Jensen, or at this point, making one of my own. Kydex holster and mag pouches/flashloght, knife. Probably a velcro backed pouch for the rest of the psk an goodies.<br><br>I regularly use an Eagle Creek briefcase or an Uphill Down backpack. Sometime a Samsonite hard Briefcase for flying.<br><br>I figgure that the pallet will fit inside the Eagle Creek "File Cabinet" which will also carry papers and files - as innocous as I can get.. But at least I can transfer everything as a gruop to whatever I'm using...

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/14/02 02:35 AM

That's an excellent idea.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/15/02 03:52 PM

I wanted to add another thought to my above post:<br><br>In order to keep my pocket-carried items to a minimum, I also keep a kit in my car and 2 kits in my desk: One desk kit can be grabbed quickly and carried easily in an evacuation scenario. The other has supplies for living in the office for several days.<br><br>True, these kits are not always accessible to me, but I am within 50 feet of my desk about 90% of my time at work, so it's a good compromise.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/17/02 02:36 AM

My job is middle management working in the field of mental health. My day runner carries a Victorinox Swiss Card and a Craftsman mini-plier. My briefcase carries a mini maglight, a CRKT fixed blade knife and a small PSK. My pocket carries a tactical style folder (mostly a Spyderco Delica). My belt holds a Leatherman wave. My wallet holds several band-aids, a small surgical scapal, some dental floss and two "emergency" quarters. My back pocket carries a bandanna (with a second carried in the winter in a jacket pocket). I also carry a lighter with me. I'm never very far from a handgun. My keychain holds a CPR mask and a small Swiss Army Knife. <br><br>Kev Mullins

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/17/02 08:46 PM

"Why do some people keep thinking that knife is only a weapon and you don't have a non-criminal reason to carry one even when they see it used for stripping wire, cutting cordage and opening cardboard boxes..."<br><br>It seems to me that people are being programmed by the media to fear most everything around them now-a-days. The media has been saying that knives and sharp objects of any kind are a big no no at airports because terrorists used box cutters to hijack the jets and all of a sudden they start thinking that anyone that carries is a potential terrorist. These people will vote away their constitutional rights just for a little implied and imaginary safety. A very dangerous place for this country to be in right now, that's for sure.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/17/02 09:49 PM

>>It seems to me that people are being programmed by the media to fear most everything around them now-a-days. The media has been saying that knives and sharp objects of any kind are a big no no at airports because terrorists used box cutters to hijack the jets and all of a sudden they start thinking that anyone that carries is a potential terrorist. These people will vote away their constitutional rights just for a little implied and imaginary safety. A very dangerous place for this country to be in right now, that's for sure. <<<br><br>I agree. Careful, though... talk like that here, and you may find the thread closed. <br><br>(Sorry, Chris - I couldn't resist). :-)

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/20/02 02:30 AM

Im not an executive, but I do frequent many cities and factories around the country. When in certain US states (the ones I frequent most often) I keep a 357 magnum on my side. (Particularly Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN). A good high ride belt slide will conceal really large pistols under a sport coat. Under an oversized t-shirt also for that matter. <br>I would prefer a Kimber Pro CDP in 45 but my 4 inch Ruger GP100 is more versatile. <br> After much study of FBI forensic results and quite a few medium sized animals shot with all kinds of loads I have decided to keep the old FBI 38 load in this gun for defensive purposes. This is a 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollowpoint moving around 900-1000 feet per second. Its effectiveness in FBI reports is almost identical to a 45 military ball. <br> I keep an ASP Saphire on a lanyard attached to my watch when out at night. Its not my choice for my tin, but that blinding blue light destroys a persons night vision. (try it if you dont believe it) <br> All of these things used in a modified Harries stance should be quite effective. I say should because (thankfully) I havent had to try it in real life. <br> There is always the most important point to consider though. Situational awareness is the more important than any tool or weapon. Avoid the necessity of fighting for your survival. Its like private pilot training. You train for the worst so you will never allow yourself to be put in such a situation. <br> As far as knives go....I consider them tools, not weapons.<br><br>This answer may be a bit much for some people because of its Southeastern USA flavor, but that is the world I live in. I dont lie to myself and think that I, at 5'-8" and 150 lbs, could overpower a 6 foot tall 200 lb criminal holding a machete (or more likely a gun). My only responsibility and moral consideration is that I return home to my wife and son. All else is secondary.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/20/02 03:36 AM

They have no idea what can be done with a leather shoelace.

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/20/02 06:29 PM

I went to the courthouse in Orlando recently and they wouldn't let me carry in a safety pin I had..potential deadly weapon, the officer said. BTW I feel this urban info is especially good for a larger number of people than the wilderness skills. I've learned so much here!
Posted by: amper

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/22/02 07:47 AM

Here's my list-in-progress of things that fit neatly into pockets:<br><br>Knives: Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II (very small, lots of tools, scissors, pen, and light--non threatening!) and a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger II (flat and elegant, but large 3.875" blade--keep it in your pants!), also a Victorinox Money Clip with a bit of cash.<br><br>Whistle: Ultimate Survival Jet Scream (flatter than most, dark color)<br><br>Lighter: Brunton Helios<br><br>Pen: Upscale pen with Fisher Space Pen refill<br><br>Lights: 2x Photon Micro-Light III Covert (white and red)<br><br>Watch: diver's chronometer (I like the Breitling SuperOcean Pro)<br><br>Your choice of cell phone<br><br>In a wallet/card case: Ultimate Survival Star-Flash mirror (good for grooming too), two unlubed condoms (you never know what you might use these for), two Purell towellettes (hands get dirty at the worst times), two adhesive bandages, two single servings of ibuprofen or other pain reliever (good for executive stress headaches), and a bit of thin strong cord (in shoelace type bundle, or tied in elaborate decorative knot on keychain), also a small bit of dental floss (I have a coin sized tin of Gore Glide floss), and a sewing needle or two and a bit of suture material or thread<br><br>In another wallet/card case: two credit cards, two prepaid calling cards, and business cards, driver's license, ATM card, etc.<br><br>Passport (never know when you might need to skip town, if you're an exec)<br><br>and a small Ace black rubber comb for grooming (if you still have hair), and a small pack of Breath Asure tablets (sometimes surviving the executive enviornment is a challenge, get all the advantage you can!)<br><br>High quality, impact resistant, optically pure sunglasses.<br><br>Handkerchief.<br><br>This should create a decent start for an urban survival kit without generating too much fuss from your associates.<br><br>Plus, here's a few things you might want to stash where you can get them quickly if you're downtown:<br><br>Leatherman Wave<br>Petzl Zipka LED headlamp<br>Rescue or dive knife, fixed blade<br>3M dust mask (the flat folding kind)<br>small AM/FM/TV/Weather radio with headphones<br><br>
Posted by: dewey

Re: Urban survival for the executive - 07/23/02 01:43 AM

People rarely ask. When they do it's a casual "why would you carry that", so I reply "because I find it useful" (Yeah, I'm a bit of a smart-a@$ -- people are used to it).<br><br>If they press with "but why do you carry a whistle" I say "You should try to get my kids attention!" (It works for that, too)