Excellent video Martin,
Posted by: Blast

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 04/29/08 11:23 PM

Previous thread
whistle

-Blast
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 05/03/08 04:34 PM

If you like this, pick up the Dangerous Book for Boys. It's got a lot of awesome and useful stuff. I gave copies to my nephew and neice for Christmas and they love it. (Apparently there's a version for girls now but I haven't checked it out. I'm still scared from my days in Brownies and Girl Scouts.)
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 05/03/08 08:07 PM

Yessssss!

This world is dangerous!

And full of sharp pointy bits.

Yipppeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: clarktx

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 12:20 AM

There is now a book - "50 dangerous things". its on Amazon (no aff).

Anyone who thought about it for a short while could come up with as good a list, I guess. I'm curious to know what the other 45 are.

I'm really becoming fond of "experiential childhoods".

It wasn't long ago that my daughter was playing with some matches. We were really unhappy about this. We responded by showing her some youtube videos of christmas tree fires and some modestly disturbing pictures of burn victims. This was so that she could understand the gravity of the situation.

I don't remember my Dad being able to EXPLAIN a negative consequence as well as the EXPERIENCE. But videos are a close surrogate.

Anyway I do think that its a good idea to expose children to knives and fire sooner rather than later.

Thats why I'm wondering what the other 45 items are in the book... you can't learn experience. I want to know if the book has some good ideas for some modestly dangerous experiences for young children to work through in a controlled environment.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 08:46 AM

I deliberately let the kids choose if they should expose themselves to falling - within limits, of course. If they managed above a certain height I would stand behind them as safeguard, preventing a potential deadly fall but not offering any assistance (I would lift 'em down if they got scared, though). It is somewhat special and proud feeling to see your 1 year old daughter manage a 6 feet ladder...

Traveling with these kids to the UK and US brought out some interesting cultural differences. All of the playgrounds we tried were excellent, with soft padded ground. I had really no problems letting 2-3 year old kids roam free in the apparatus labeled "above 5 years" or some even "above 12 years" (in principle, they've been doing that since they could crawl, but the smallest ones with some parental assistance). Falling 4-5 feet on soft padded ground is not dangerous, it's a healthy pedagogic exercise in physics and your own capabilities. I didn't get any negative feedback, but it was puzzling to watch some other parents or grandparents with their perpetual "careful, careful, careful" mantra and the way they would rush to aid with the slightest struggle, obviously afraid of the slightest fall.

Kids actually figure out pretty quick what they can and can't do. When they're up to it, they'll seek challenges that are just beyond what they did yesterday. Other times, they just do what they're comfortable with. The smallest ones will require some assistance to get down when they climb beyond their capabilities - they may not fall, but they suddenly get tired or otherwise feel the height and lack of control. Important lessons, if you ask me.

As for the fire and taking things apart - thank you for the inspiration! It's just a motivation for doing more of the things I love to do with the kids. My 5 year old already has a knife that he is incredible proud of, but he has to train and grow a bit before he can use it without closeup parental supervision. Yep, he's got knife scars already (of course our fault, not his)
Posted by: JBMat

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 11:34 AM

My DW and I are amazed we lived through childhood without childseats, safety belts, biking helmets, elbow pads, knee pads, shoulder pads, IPOds, Cell phones, implanted GPS chips and kevlar underwear. The stuff we used as kids didn't come with warning labels, nutrional labels and an enclosed lawyer should you wish to sue anyhow.

Let kids be kids. Teach them right from wrong and more importantly, how to know the difference. The "nanny state" mentality isn't doing anyone any favors.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 12:03 PM

The book is "Ok" - some of the "dangerous" things aren't - at all, heck don't even fall under "Mildly uncomfortable" (for instance - how to European "air kiss" Hello

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 01:34 PM

really? air kissing?

I was balking at the price of the book - $23.55 for only 133 pages, some of which were intentionally left blank for "my notes". As if.

I was already telling my wife it would have been better featured as a magazine article.

can you give me a heads up on any of the other "activities"? Although I can tell you the air kissing example alone has pushed me to "no buy".

Just take your kid camping a lot, and you've covered some of the better parts of the book without trying smile

I guess I just had this wayward hope that there might be some nuggets in there that I hadn't thought of myself.

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
As for the fire and taking things apart - thank you for the inspiration! It's just a motivation for doing more of the things I love to do with the kids.

aye
Posted by: Blast

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 02:06 PM

I still remember my 9th birthday when my grandfather gave me an old washing machine, access to all his tools, and the command "Take that apart". I spent all day dismantling the washer down into hundreds of peices. Thankfully he didn't tell me to put it back together again!

Meanwhile back on the farm we'd take turns grabing the electric fence, shocking each other with cattle prods, playing chicken with firecrackers in fresh cowpies, building tree forts, having apple and dirt-clod wars, digging holes, playing in abandoned quarries, spending days (and nights) out in the woods, etc...

*sigh* Kids these days miss out on so much. Not mine, but other people's kids...

-Blast, fondly recalling the time a cow tried to eat DD1's dress on how she thought that was cool
Posted by: KG2V

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/02/10 04:33 PM

gotta dig it up. The kids have taken it 'somewhere'

Some others - learn to throw a rock, "taste" electricity by licking a 9V battery, Play (safely) in a hailstorm (by wearing a pot on your head) etc - Hint, I looked through it, and my first take was "Oh well, that was a waste"
Posted by: Traderjac

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/06/10 02:10 AM

I agree with jbmat.. we all seemed to survive with out a book telling our parents what was dangerous. We as a people are raising the most coddled and useless people that nature has ever produced. Pain is a great learning tool.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/08/10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
My DW and I are amazed we lived through childhood without childseats, safety belts, biking helmets, elbow pads, knee pads, shoulder pads, IPOds, Cell phones, implanted GPS chips and kevlar underwear. The stuff we used as kids didn't come with warning labels, nutrional labels and an enclosed lawyer should you wish to sue anyhow.

Let kids be kids. Teach them right from wrong and more importantly, how to know the difference. The "nanny state" mentality isn't doing anyone any favors.

Funny, I am now old enough (shudder to think!) that I remember when seatbelts were an "accessory". Most of our vehicles didnt have seatbelts-the kids just piled in the back. A few vehicles didnt even have seats: our old landrover had no back seat, our Ford econoline van, no back seat, and a pickup truck-no place FOR a back seat!
One of my fondest memories was driving around town, all of us kids (5 of us, from 10 down to 4) being in the back of the truck, as my dad drove around, and we'd yell every time we went under a bridge smile. Sadly, that was probably one of our safer activities....
Posted by: sybert777

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/08/10 12:52 PM

As a kid, or still am but just older. I was 8 when i lit my first solo fire with a childproof bic and from there, kinda got addicted to fire so i know how to successfully build basically any type of fire, besides a magnifying lens, still cannot seem to get one past the ember stage.
Posted by: Lono

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/08/10 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Funny, I am now old enough (shudder to think!) that I remember when seatbelts were an "accessory". Most of our vehicles didnt have seatbelts-the kids just piled in the back.

All the child safety things you cite, they are risk mitigation, they don't save all lives per se - kids still get killed every day in car accidents, kids still incur brain injuries while biking with or without a helmet. A kid in a belted car seat is far more likely to survive a collision than one who is not, that's a fact - so use a car seat. And I can recommend that people wear knee and elbow pads while roller skating, its darmn hard to crack your elbow with them on than without them - take it from me on that simple one.

The nanny state may be whatever it is, but the world we live in now is far different than the world we grew up in - traffic is much, much thicker than it was in the 60s, when traffic moves relative speeds are up, and drivers are far more distracted today than they ever where back when. I have a fond memory from childhood, coming back from the doctor's, stopping at Jack in the Box for a burger treat, pulling out of the lot, a few moments later my mom stopped my body from hitting the windshield when the car ahead of us stopped abruptly. I can still remember the sensation of rising out of my seat, and being held back by mom's arm flung out to protect me. It seems like Mom's can always do that move, but we were traveling at probably less than 30 mph, her arm would be dislocated at 45 mph and worse would happen at a higher speed. Point being, environments change, kids will fly through windshields at high speeds in all generations, better technology comes along for personal protection,so use them.
Posted by: Susan

Re: 5 Dangerous things for Kids - 02/08/10 06:14 PM

"The nanny state may be whatever it is, but the world we live in now is far different than the world we grew up in..."

Yes, and many of the people are a lot dumber now, too.

It isn't the stuff as much as it is the mentality that now no one has to think, no one has to use any common sense, because someone else is doing the thinking.

The funny thing is that only certain things change, and others don't.

Maybe 20 yrs ago, some company invented a new type of brake light for cars where the lights would flash slowly if the driver applied the brakes gently, and the flashing would speed up the harder the driver pressed the brakes. They were installed on some NYC taxis (I guess that was the acid test laugh ), because they were frequently being rear-ended because of some of their quick moves. No cabs were rear-ended in the test -- none. Do you see these on any cars? No. Because a rear-end accident is often severe enough to total the car, the driver has to buy a new car, and the car company makes more money. Profit always takes precedence over safety.

We've had a 'war on drugs' smirk for how many years now, have dumped tons of money into it, we've lost more of our liberties because of it, and it's been totally ineffective. Yet it continues.

OTOH, we have drunk drivers killing people right and left, but our legislators don't want to draw a hard line there.

The difference? Many of our legislators drink like fish and don't want to be the victim of their own laws, but they do mostly stay away from drugs. And don't forget the profit motive.

Sue