how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead?

Posted by: kevingg

how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 08:32 PM

Anyone that uses a zippo refillable lighter (windproof type) know how long it will be functional from the time you fill it (if you just let it sit there) to the time the fuel has evaporated? Thanks.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 08:48 PM

I am the ONLY guy I know that still uses a zippo for EDC.

I dont smoke, but I always use it daily for melting the tips of rope, burning threads off etc. I usually only have to fill it every two weeks.

Zippo makes a handy little metal bottle that fits on a keychain which will hold a spare two re-fills of fluid, a spare wick and 2 spare flints. When heading to the field this gives me 6 weeks worth of zippo time before I need to consider breaking into my back up BIC.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 08:52 PM

wow, ive seen mine go dry within days! also do you have a link for the carrier?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 08:54 PM

If you're a smoker, 3 days max before it will be out.

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 09:25 PM

Quote:
ive seen mine go dry within days!

Holy dog balls, I must have one of the good ones then. or maybe you are a pyro and you like to burn stuff more that I do. grin

I dont have a link but I have a pic. It looks big on the pic but it's only the length of a pinky finger. Every time I try to re-size the image to make it smaller photobucket crashes on me. Any one know why?

[img] [IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/taurus-135/zipposparefuelcarrierwithwickandfli.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted by: wildman800

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 09:32 PM

I use a standard conventional zippo lighter.
Posted by: celler

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/26/08 10:25 PM

It depends on the environment and usage. However, warming the lighter by carrying it in your pocket (the common usage) will speed evaporation. Here in Florida, I can expect about a week with little or no usage before the fuel evaporates. I'm a high tech type of guy, but I am strangely drawn to this low tech lighter and carry one every day even though I am not a smoker.

As for the canister, you can get one at http://www.smokerstuff.com/accessories/canister.htm
Posted by: RayW

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 12:19 AM

Get about a week with little use if it is in my pocket or left in the truck.

I don't know who on the forum to give credit to for posting this before, use the little tabasco bottle that comes with MRE's. They make great canisters for keeping extra "juice" in.
Posted by: LED

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 12:19 AM

About a week and a half with heavy usage. Then again I always overfill mine. If its in a kit or something, in a little plastic baggy it'll last for about a month.

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 12:49 AM

Quote:
Then again I always overfill mine.

This must be why I get so long from mine. I really soak fluid to the thing and I dont stop till it is overflowing.

usually got to wait a few minutes before lighting it for the first time to prevent losing an eyebrow.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Taurus

I dont smoke, but I always use it daily for melting the tips of rope, burning threads off etc. I usually only have to fill it every two weeks.

I EDC one too also a non smoker. I get about 2 weeks from mine with minimal usage, with a fairly heavy fueling and carried in my pocket.
Posted by: red

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 02:10 AM

I tried, I really tried to EDC one of those peanut lighters sold by CountyComm. But everytime I tried to light it up when it mattered, it failed. I chucked it as far as I could throw it.
Posted by: kevingg

thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo - 04/27/08 12:29 PM

thanks to all for the info. I recently bought a zippo to trial-replace my EDC bic (I don't smoke) for the following reasons:

I like the "refill" aspect, more enviro friendly

I like the American Made component, and it's long history

I like that it is very wind resistant

I like that the cover can be partially closed over the flame to quickly warm up the unit and function as a quick handwarmer.

I like that it's shiny mirror like finish makes a decent little signal device

I like that you can fire it up and set it down under a firelay and it will continue to burn as long as you've got fuel.

I like that it's a neat little gadget and very cool

I like the guarantee for free repair by zippo, and the replacability of working parts.

I DIDN'T LIKE NOT KNOWWING HOW OFTEN TO REFILL IT, BUT NOW I DO, SO THANKS!!
Posted by: bws48

Re: thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo - 04/27/08 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: kevingg

I like the guarantee for free repair by zippo

And they mean it. When Dad passed, I found his old zippo from the 50's. It didn't work, so I sent it off to zippo, got it back with the old parts replaced and a new insert. The letter said "never charged for repairs, never will"

Now that's the way to treat your customers!
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo - 04/27/08 09:09 PM

I too EDC a zippo lighter. I keep it in a nylon pouch made by zippo. I don't smoke, but my wife does so it gets used 5 to 10 times a week. I live in florida and I usually go a week and a half to two weeks between fills. I also overfill it and have repacked and fluffed the cotton batting inside the unit. I carry a spare flint under the felt "tongue" on the bottom.
I have about a dozen or so different zippos and can tell you from experience that some hold their fuel better than others. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see, although in my experience the brass cased ones fare better than the steel ones.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Mogg

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Taurus

I edc a zippo. Used to carry the windproof naptha eating variety, but now I find myself carring the new Zippo Blu butane variety.

I would suggest one of the carry pouches made for the Zippo. I found that mine would leak fuel occasionally if I carried it in a pocket. The pouch solved that.

I prefer the type with a leather strap and snap arrangement, as I've found that the steel clip type can easily let go, and that the clip is subject to damage.

THe Zippo fuel cell is a really good idea, even if you don't carry a Zippo. It gives you instant tinder. I must replace mine, as I gave it to a friend. Don't trust the carry clip on the cannester, though, the top can unscrew, resulting in loss of the cannister.

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/27/08 11:08 PM

Quote:
I prefer the type with a leather strap and snap arrangement,

I had one un-snap on me in the field. I happened to hear it when it fell to the ground so I was lucky. Using my dremel, a dime and a nail I fixed the pouch so it will never un-snap and drop to the ground again.

Other than that I have no other beefs with the pouch.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/28/08 12:00 AM

Which is why I use the cordura zippo pouch. It has a tunnel for the belt, not as handy as far as easy on, easy off but it will be there when ya need it.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: sodak

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/28/08 02:15 AM

I just splurged and got the belt buckle - redneck heaven! Now I have my zippo instantly and securely accessible, right in front. Best idea since sliced bread!
Posted by: REDDOG79

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/28/08 03:02 AM

I used to carry Zippos when i smoked (I am trying to quit right now so I am not carrying a lighter anyway) I used the leather Zippo holder but I TIG welded the clip together at the bottom so it can't come off. (I seem to have a problem with clips just refer to my Leatherman warranty post). I had a nylon holder years ago but don't know what happened to it. I actually wore out one of the leather holders and had to replace it after about 4 years or so.
I kept zippo fluid in every vehicle and in my tool box and lunch box so i could always refill. Now that i think about it I need to take the bottle of fluid out of my hunting waist pack.
I love Zippos I must have a dozen or so and some of them are unused. I even have my dad's from the 60s or 70s and a few of the belt buckles to keep them in

Kirby
Posted by: Pharaoh

Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? - 04/28/08 01:00 PM

Hi,

I still have the trusty Zippo on me when I go out there.
I've been experimenting to beat the evaporation problem too.
I've found that taking some precautions will have the Zippo light up after two months.

To minimize evaporation try this:

a. Don't carry inside a pocket, as this is sure to speed up evap.
I carry mine in a leather pouch made by Zippo on my belt.

b. Wrap an inch wide piece of tight fitting bicycle innertube
where lighterbody and lid meet. This will dramatically
reduce evaporation and also make it splashproof. When mine
fell in a shallow pond and I quickly snatched it out it
was still dry inside and lit up on the first try. Just don't
take it scubadiving wink

c. I bought an internal tank for it. This is a little brass
affair that fits snugly inside the lighter, although you
must remove about half of the cotton wadding. I bought
the tank here: http://www.peak-berlin.com/
Hope this helps,
Regards,