Laptop Backpack

Posted by: suertetres

Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 03:38 AM

Ok- i know a laptop is not an essential piece of survival equipment- well to some it is- but i currently carry all my gear in a Northface Recon Backpack- however it doesn't fit my laptop.

any good suggestions on a good laptop backpack that is sturdy and will carry gear as well as a laptop? Usual gear, is gun, extra holster, ammo, shot shells, fire starter, flashlight, extra knives, pens, lighters, first aid, sting kit-etc..nothing fancy.

I'm looking at the swiss gear synergy backpack= does anyone know if these hold up well?

Thanks!
Posted by: Rusty

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 04:08 AM

Hands down the Targus Matrix: Product page My brother carried this pack for 2+ years and when he graduated he gave it to me and I have been carrying it for 2 years. I have not had a single problem with it the entire life of the bag. Click for pics of the Matrix and my edc (link)

Good luck picking a bag!!!
Posted by: PackRat

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 05:03 AM

I have used a few different bags from Crumpler for computers and cameras and have found that they hold up very well and do not generally look like computer or camera bags.

Their site is a little goofy but the products are great:

http://www.crumplerbags.com

I currently haul my computer and a basic camera around in their Customary Barge which also lets me pack a camera and a couple of lenses and looks like a basic book pack. The padded camera case can be removed to provide a lot of extra storage.

Posted by: AROTC

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 11:21 AM

I carry my laptop in a bag like this one from bug out gear.Bugout Bag Mine's black, but look carefully at that site. Mine has the extra outside pocket with MOLLE attachments like the ACU or Tan one, the black one on that site doesn't. Its a heavier bag, with a belt and sternum strap to help with load bearing. The larger front pocket is perfect for a laptop (I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, for size), I also put the laptop inside a semi-rigid case before putting it into the bag, so that adds some protection and a small amount of bulk. The main compartment expands slightly and will hold plenty of gear. My brother has one identical and uses it as carry on luggage for short trips.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 01:01 PM

I carry 2 Israeli Parachutist Messenger Bags. One is my paperwork management bag and the other is my electronics bag.

The paperwork management bag has: Log book, steno pad, spare glasses and sunglasses, bic lighter, driving gloves, chargers for cell phone, and a few other items.

The electronics bag has: laptop computer, power supply, cd's, bic lighter, and other electronic items.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 01:28 PM

The best laptop bag is one that's not a laptop bag. Then you aren't such a target for thieves.
The Sock
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 01:57 PM

My personal favorite- pick the pack you like the best. Doesn't have a laptop sleeve, big deal. You can buy sleeves that you put the lap top in then put into a bigger bag, OR buy 1/2" (or 1" or thicker) close cell foam, and make your own sleeve.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 03:01 PM

Or even wrapped three times with bubble wrap and a rubber band to hold it.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
My personal favorite- pick the pack you like the best. Doesn't have a laptop sleeve, big deal. You can buy sleeves that you put the lap top in then put into a bigger bag, OR buy 1/2" (or 1" or thicker) close cell foam, and make your own sleeve.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/26/08 04:57 PM

I haven't looked at the Synergy but I've been using their Swiss Gear Maxxum for the last two years. This semester it's had up to 40lbs worth of books, notebooks, & laptop two days a week & lighter loads the other three and walking about a mile round trip to classes. The only change I'd make would be to add a waist belt.

Edit:
Letting all the compression straps loose will give you an extra two inches worth of capacity in an open topped pocket just the right size for text books.
Posted by: Andy

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/27/08 01:28 AM

Just recently picked up a Maxpedition Typhoon Gearslinger. It holds my 12" screen laptop, might hold a 13.3 but not anything larger. Has two outside pockets for accessory gear, a small pocket I put my ham HT in, a built in tactical flashlight holder and an interior pocket for either a 50oz hydration bladder or a weapon. Has single over the shoulder strap, waist strap and plenty of MOLLE webbing.

So far so good, seems well constructed and offers plenty of configuration options if you add some MOLLE pouches. I also use a couple of Grimlok carbiners to hold a water bottle and keys.

Andy
Posted by: ToddG

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/27/08 02:59 PM

Tom Bihn Brain Bag
This is probably the best laptop backpack that I have ever seen!
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

Posted by: Kris

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/27/08 04:10 PM

The Tom Bihn bags are ok IMHO - doesn't suit me. A buddy has the brain bag, not a fan of it (personal preference). Though, I own 3 brain cells (laptop sleeves) and a bunch of their accessories (i.e. freudian slip, snake charmer, etc). Give them all max kudo's for excellent quality and useablity (bags and everything else).

I personally pair up his accessories to timbuk2 bags. For my use, can't beat it.

In fact, i'm in the market for a new bag as work just gave me a workstation replacement laptop (10lbs sucker). I'm leaning towards the timbuk2 commute bags (already have one - medium), but looking at the large herringbone: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/herringbone-commute

Posted by: ToddG

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/27/08 06:30 PM

Cant argue that:) Timbuk2 with a brain cell would be pretty fine as well!
Posted by: Kris

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/27/08 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddG
Cant argue that:) Timbuk2 with a brain cell would be pretty fine as well!

Yes it is!! ;-)
Posted by: ame

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/28/08 07:22 AM

You could get a smaller laptop...

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/over-past-six-months-or-so-asus-everex_24.html

A
Posted by: corpsman

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/29/08 02:57 AM

Looked at BIN bags. Not big enough for me. I've been using a
http://www.uphill.com/product.php?prodco...puter+backpacks

Trango by Uphill.

It nicely and safely holds my big HP Pavilion and plenty of accessories.

I'ts like 30 bucks more now, but mine has held up very well. Plenty of room, lots of inside organization and, importantly non-tactical.
Posted by: suertetres

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/29/08 03:26 AM

Corpsman-
thanks for the link- i'm really liking that bag- I like the look. I almost went with a bag from covered in molle strips- would have been and convienent, but i get nough wierd looks at the office for carrying a back pack anyway!!

I found a blue version of the swiss gear bag--i'mjust not feeling the construction- the bottome of the bag just feels cheap--but its not at 75!!
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/29/08 03:53 PM

I switched to a Swiss Gear bag, the $40 Wired Laptop Backpack from Sams Club.

It hold quite a bit more than the generic Dell bag it replaced. It doesn't look out of place at work. Most of the younger guys and even some of the older guys carry something similar now.

Even carried on one shoulder, it's less stressful on my back. It's a heavy bag though. Then pile in all the crap I carry and it's quite a load.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/29/08 06:13 PM

I have the Swiss Gear, it's been OK, the zippers are a little weak. Targus was great - lasted years and years, but they didn't have the configuration I like - mostly open compartments, not a lot of little chambers.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Laptop Backpack - 04/30/08 09:15 AM

Off comment here:

The crumpler site is the coolest site ever! LOL
Posted by: kevingg

Re: Laptop Backpack - 05/01/08 12:03 AM

go to duluthpack.com. they have bombproof packs, including a few laptop packs.